Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Krampushack 2020 open for registration, Dec 13-31

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Krampushack 2020 open for registration, Dec 13-31
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

As promised, there will be another game jam this year, by and for the Allegro community! It's time for another Krampushack, a secret-santa event where participants make surprise gifts for each other, in the form of games. I'm getting this in early, so that we can all make time in our busy schedule! Or alternatively, if you're like me, you're also looking for something to do with all these spare vacation days that you saved up, with nothing to do but staying home.

Rules: https://tins.amarillion.org/krampu20/rules/
To join: go to https://tins.amarillion.org/, register and log in. Then click "Join a competition".

The game jam is very free and open, there are almost no hard rules. The main point is just to have fun and do something together during the holidays. Below are the rules as I posted them on the site, as you can see they are not very strict. I could still make some modifications in the coming week - so let me know your comments, if there is anything you're unhappy with.

1. goal: Create a game as a gift for your secret santa.
On Sunday 13 December 2020, you will be assigned one of the other participants and you have to make your game as a gift for them. Each should post a wishlist of features that they would like to see in the game. But this wishlist is not a requirement list - you should tune the game to your giftee, taking the wishlist as well as the person itself into account, and create something that is a nice and thoughtful surprise to them.

2. progress log: Keep an interesting progress record here on the tins website. This progress record is very important, as it will be voted on, and used for determining the winner. During krampushack, your secret santa's logs will be hidden from you to maintain the surprise a little bit longer.

3. Deadline: Thursday 31 December 2020. End time is midnight in your own time zone. I'm not going to be very strict about time, a few hours off is fine.

4. Dropping out: As is common with game jams, there is always a risk that some people will drop out. Life interferes, you ate a little too much Turkey, or you got that cool new PS5 for X-mas and lost all motivation to do anything else. We won't be mad. To limit the impact, please let us know as soon as possible, so that we can notify your secret santa.

If your future giftee is dropping out, then you will be notified, your gift will go to the next person in the chain (your giftee's giftee). You then get the choice of using the original wishlist, the new wishlist, or a clever mix of the two. You'll have to see what is achievable based on the remaining time. Remember, the wishlists are for fun and inspiration, you won't be judged on adherence to them.

5. size: There is no size restriction, but for convenience sake I recommend keeping it under 5Mb (zipped). The upload system may have trouble handling larger files. If your entry ends up too large, you have to upload it in your own webspace and send around a link.

6. source: We encourage submission of the complete source code with your entry but this is not compulsory. Of course you don't have to include the source to Allegro or other publicly available libraries or frameworks

7. Code re-use: You may re-use any code and assets that you are legally allowed to do so: public domain, your own, etc. You do not have to start from scratch, you are allowed to do prep work before, or even re-use an existing game.

8. Allegro & other libs: You are encouraged to use allegro, but this is not compulsory.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

YAAAAY!!! SANTA KRAMPUS HACK!!! \o/

{"name":"i5lv.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c29894a1c7889be2530a6dba37bb8128.gif","w":720,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c29894a1c7889be2530a6dba37bb8128"}i5lv.gif

The first to read?

The problem is not that they are strict, it's that we always find a reason to don't anything.

I want to participate again! This year I want to finish a game. I will make it as simple as possible.

Do I have to post my wishes right here? I don't quite remember how it was the previous time.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

KrampusHack 2016 was a fun experience, so I expect the same from this year's hack. I've signed up! :)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Yay! It's weird that TINS 2020 was this year as well - to me it feels like it's been several years with all that's been going on this year...

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

RmBeer2 said:

Do I have to post my wishes right here? I don't quite remember how it was the previous time.

Good question, I'll clarify the rules.

You may post your wishlist as your first log message on the TINS Site. The secret santa ballot will include a link to your giftee's logs.

The logs are already open for business, so you can do this straight away.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Hoooo yeaaaah => registered 8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I hath registered. I haven't put up my https://tins.amarillion.org/krampu20/log/ wish list though. I'll hold onto that until we're much closer to the event.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare • AllegroFlare Docs • AllegroFlare GitHub

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ah great to see the response!

Mark made this awesome logo last year:
{"name":"63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/3\/63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e.png","w":828,"h":571,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/3\/63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e"}63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e.png

Is anybody in the mood to create another one for this year?

By the way, I'm continuing to make small improvements to the site. Stay tuned...

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I love that one, it's having spirit. Just change the date dude :-)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Maybe add a coronavirus with an xmas hat?

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Replace coronavirus by hallowing or nothing. This must be the logo of krampus, it's nice.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

New countdown widget on the TINS home page:

{"name":"612722","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/4829f0982fdcc3b8ca1faba9b1eab382.png","w":512,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/4829f0982fdcc3b8ca1faba9b1eab382"}612722

So 9 people signed up already! Not bad, but there is room for a few more...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

What the hell, I'll sign up. Though I always fail, I usually make more progress trying than not. ::) I plan to be off from the 19th to the 2nd so that might give me some time to work on this, though the wife is also off during that time so she will surely try to fill my days up with other stuff. :P

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Ok, Ok, I joined. Actually I feel down so maybe I'll fell down in any moment. I need a victory.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@bamccaig are join!! He is wishing for the end of the world!!

I'm still short of ideas. I will probably integrate it with my DeepBlue or make it closed source. Go know. The future is too uncertain and my spirits are on the ground, I'm going to sign up anyway as if writing my testament, I'm going to release my last 3 wishes. It's easy to know that a devilish hand is going to painfully hold your neck until the end of the year, but what does it matter? It's fun! ;D

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

bamccaig said:

I can't believe nobody thought of COVID-themed wishes yet.

Well, I thought my first wish was clearly COVID related:

My Wish said:

Something to play during an online social event. Me and my colleagues often hang out online at the end of the week. Some kind of multiplayer game would be ideal. Doesn't have to be real-time, turn-based is fine to keep it manageable.

Also Gull:

Gull's wish said:

1. Kill viruses

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Yeah. I want to kill viruses, and particles ! :-D

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I thought of a modification of the rules. Now I don't want to be constantly changing the rules after people already signed up, but I feel that this change is harmless enough and useful enough to be worthwhile.

So here it is:

4. Dropping out.

If you drop out, Krampus will be angry with you. To appease Krampus, you must design a christmas e-card, addressed to your giftee (but for all to see), where you explain the lame excuse that prevented you from finishing your game and grovel for forgiveness. If you don't, Krampus will catch you.

What do you think?

edit: Maybe I should explain the rationale. The trouble with the current rules, is that the passing the gift though to the next in line, doesn't really make for a good gift. I think making an excuse card could make more sense in that situation.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@amarillion :

It looks threatening. For all the guilty will be trapped in a red bag and beaten with reindeer kicks?

It really is silly. Since if the participant does not want to make a gift like a game, he is less going to make a Christmas card.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"612736","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c1260a535c50f63f93b9f2a4d743ccc.png","w":512,"h":288,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c1260a535c50f63f93b9f2a4d743ccc"}612736

Larger Preview:
{"name":"612735","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fb103108ee8954795609f0a2ace895e.png","w":2721,"h":1531,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fb103108ee8954795609f0a2ace895e"}612735

Full Size:
download full size (7MB)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare • AllegroFlare Docs • AllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Ohh, I love it! Scary and ominous yet at the same time the Krampus also looks a bit like a funny sheep :D

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Great work. That might catch some eyes on social media (assuming somebody has that still). Now to devise the most complicated way to display it in less than 2 weeks!

Go to: