Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Krampushack 2020 open for registration, Dec 13-31

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Krampushack 2020 open for registration, Dec 13-31
RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@Mark Oates :
Seem like a game title or a film title. Nice.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

That's a really cool design. Where did you get the image for the monster silhouette, did you draw that yourself?

I'm definitely going to post that on social media!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Thanks for all the complements - I didn't have a lot of time, and had to time-box my work to 1-hour so I'm glad it's well received.

Where did you get the image for the monster silhouette, did you draw that yourself?

I found an obscure black/white illustration on the internet that I couldn't find anywhere else, traced it, mirrored it and did some transformative blurring and whatnot. If I had more time, I would probably flip the horns and modify the eyes so they don't collide with the text. Again, didn't want to overthink anything and just get it out. The fonts I got from dafont, Eastman Black and Bovino Regular - a good font pairing if I say so myself. :)

Elias said:

Krampus also looks a bit like a funny sheep

Krampus is very offended. >:( :D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Krampus is very offended.

If you don't, Krampus will catch you.

I think I'm in trouble here.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

RmBeer2 said:

It looks threatening. For all the guilty will be trapped in a red bag and beaten with reindeer kicks?

It really is silly. Since if the participant does not want to make a gift like a game, he is less going to make a Christmas card.

It sounds that there isn't a great enthusiasm for this idea, so I'll leave the rules as is. No problemo.

If I had more time, I would probably flip the horns and modify the eyes so they don't collide with the text.

I can see your point about the overlapping eyes, but I wouldn't change the horns. The horns are perfect like this, it makes it more creative, less like a standard devil. Indeed it's a bit sheep or goat like, but in a cool, monstrous way.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It sounds that there isn't a great enthusiasm for this idea, so I'll leave the rules as is. No problemo.

I think the impetus for the idea is cool. There might be some other way for someone to warmly bow out of the competition. Maybe some pre-made cards or something with a form and optional message, that doesn't feel like shame.

I think the problem is if someone is unable to have the time to finish, it's unlikely they'll have the time to assemble an apology or otherwise.

What's the current mechanism for dropping out? Just a note to you?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Maybe everyone can have just one wish instead of three but gets assigned two secret santas instead of one and then make a game that would fulfill both wishes. Now if about half the people drop out everyone should still receive one game made for them on average :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I thought of a modification of the rules. Now I don't want to be constantly changing the rules after people already signed up, but I feel that this change is harmless enough and useful enough to be worthwhile.

So here it is:

4. Dropping out.

If you drop out, Krampus will be angry with you. To appease Krampus, you must design a christmas e-card, addressed to your giftee (but for all to see), where you explain the lame excuse that prevented you from finishing your game and grovel for forgiveness. If you don't, Krampus will catch you.

What do you think?

edit: Maybe I should explain the rationale. The trouble with the current rules, is that the passing the gift though to the next in line, doesn't really make for a good gift. I think making an excuse card could make more sense in that situation.

I think that Mark's great logo stole the attention away from this. :P I thought it was a good idea.

I think it's a fun and harmless change. It's trivial to throw together some kind of e-card. You could probably make one in 5 minutes, but it shouldn't take anyone more than an hour unless they're getting overly fancy. There are probably even e-card generators online that could be used.

Of course, nothing prevents a participant from ignoring this rule because they've already lost and there's little to gain. And some might well legitimately become too busy to even make an e-card. It isn't the end of the world if cards aren't delivered. They're really just a respectful way to bow out instead of just quitting. :P I think it's a good idea as long as we don't take it too seriously.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I like the e-apology e-card idea.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I did this on https://jspaint.app/ just now:

{"name":"612737","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a4b483d365ac4ed0a4ede0810a5d6d1.png","w":683,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a4b483d365ac4ed0a4ede0810a5d6d1"}612737

that... kinda works? 🤷‍♂️

--

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

"To appease Krampus, you must design a christmas e-card". That doesn't look too Christmas-y... ::)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Et tu, Edgar? </3 :'(

;D Momo is dead, and has been for a while. I wrote a new little lib in WebGL called Poyo though. I made it for myself and no one else (although others are certainly welcomed). I doubt a GUI master such as yourself would find much use of it, however.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That doesn't look too Christmas-y... ::)

{"name":"612739","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3e8dc50ccd064048d8dbdd2fa9245dc.png","w":683,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3e8dc50ccd064048d8dbdd2fa9245dc"}612739
:P

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

MUCH improved, Mark! I like it, very Christmas-y now! ;D

Eric Johnson, I'm sorry that makes me sad.

No need to be sorry or sad! Your image made me laugh. ;D I'm kind of surprised you remembered Momo, to be honest. :o Technically, Momo isn't dead. I just forked it, re-wrote it to be hardware-accelerated (seriously, there were so many limitations before, like trying to tint bitmaps in real-time in software, but now it's all on the hardware, baby 8-)), and re-branded it as "Poyo" instead. I might re-write my games using Poyo in the coming weeks/months.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

{"name":"21063_12725.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/700a68e72beae62ecfb3981209dba5ae.jpg","w":300,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/700a68e72beae62ecfb3981209dba5ae"}21063_12725.jpg

Is Sabato Mihashigo of Dokuro Anime. But in horror version. :P

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I'd love to join but I know I'll just keep procrastinating.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Logo credit is not necessary for me. I'd just keep the focus on the message/brand, imo, but thank you. :)

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ah well, I don't know how much attention we get on GameDev.net in the first place. I have a feeling we're being ignored.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

If anyone is on gamedev.net, give a shout out.

It's been a while since I visited the site, but I logged in to do just that.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Good luck to everyone, I would enter but my current situation would no doubt result in me dropping out, so I'll just say good luck and I look forward to your entries!

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Go to: