Krampushack 2020 open for registration, Dec 13-31
amarillion

As promised, there will be another game jam this year, by and for the Allegro community! It's time for another Krampushack, a secret-santa event where participants make surprise gifts for each other, in the form of games. I'm getting this in early, so that we can all make time in our busy schedule! Or alternatively, if you're like me, you're also looking for something to do with all these spare vacation days that you saved up, with nothing to do but staying home.

Rules: https://tins.amarillion.org/krampu20/rules/
To join: go to https://tins.amarillion.org/, register and log in. Then click "Join a competition".

The game jam is very free and open, there are almost no hard rules. The main point is just to have fun and do something together during the holidays. Below are the rules as I posted them on the site, as you can see they are not very strict. I could still make some modifications in the coming week - so let me know your comments, if there is anything you're unhappy with.

1. goal: Create a game as a gift for your secret santa.
On Sunday 13 December 2020, you will be assigned one of the other participants and you have to make your game as a gift for them. Each should post a wishlist of features that they would like to see in the game. But this wishlist is not a requirement list - you should tune the game to your giftee, taking the wishlist as well as the person itself into account, and create something that is a nice and thoughtful surprise to them.

2. progress log: Keep an interesting progress record here on the tins website. This progress record is very important, as it will be voted on, and used for determining the winner. During krampushack, your secret santa's logs will be hidden from you to maintain the surprise a little bit longer.

3. Deadline: Thursday 31 December 2020. End time is midnight in your own time zone. I'm not going to be very strict about time, a few hours off is fine.

4. Dropping out: As is common with game jams, there is always a risk that some people will drop out. Life interferes, you ate a little too much Turkey, or you got that cool new PS5 for X-mas and lost all motivation to do anything else. We won't be mad. To limit the impact, please let us know as soon as possible, so that we can notify your secret santa.

If your future giftee is dropping out, then you will be notified, your gift will go to the next person in the chain (your giftee's giftee). You then get the choice of using the original wishlist, the new wishlist, or a clever mix of the two. You'll have to see what is achievable based on the remaining time. Remember, the wishlists are for fun and inspiration, you won't be judged on adherence to them.

5. size: There is no size restriction, but for convenience sake I recommend keeping it under 5Mb (zipped). The upload system may have trouble handling larger files. If your entry ends up too large, you have to upload it in your own webspace and send around a link.

6. source: We encourage submission of the complete source code with your entry but this is not compulsory. Of course you don't have to include the source to Allegro or other publicly available libraries or frameworks

7. Code re-use: You may re-use any code and assets that you are legally allowed to do so: public domain, your own, etc. You do not have to start from scratch, you are allowed to do prep work before, or even re-use an existing game.

8. Allegro & other libs: You are encouraged to use allegro, but this is not compulsory.

RmBeer2

YAAAAY!!! SANTA KRAMPUS HACK!!! \o/

{"name":"i5lv.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c29894a1c7889be2530a6dba37bb8128.gif","w":720,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c29894a1c7889be2530a6dba37bb8128"}i5lv.gif

The first to read?

The problem is not that they are strict, it's that we always find a reason to don't anything.

I want to participate again! This year I want to finish a game. I will make it as simple as possible.

Do I have to post my wishes right here? I don't quite remember how it was the previous time.

Eric Johnson

KrampusHack 2016 was a fun experience, so I expect the same from this year's hack. I've signed up! :)

Elias

Yay! It's weird that TINS 2020 was this year as well - to me it feels like it's been several years with all that's been going on this year...

Edgar Reynaldo

Registered.

8-)

amarillion
RmBeer2 said:

Do I have to post my wishes right here? I don't quite remember how it was the previous time.

Good question, I'll clarify the rules.

You may post your wishlist as your first log message on the TINS Site. The secret santa ballot will include a link to your giftee's logs.

The logs are already open for business, so you can do this straight away.

GullRaDriel

Hoooo yeaaaah => registered 8-)

Mark Oates

I hath registered. I haven't put up my https://tins.amarillion.org/krampu20/log/ wish list though. I'll hold onto that until we're much closer to the event.

amarillion

Ah great to see the response!

Mark made this awesome logo last year:
{"name":"63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/3\/63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e.png","w":828,"h":571,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/3\/63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e"}63896426930971a2d9ef6ebd71b73d7e.png

Is anybody in the mood to create another one for this year?

By the way, I'm continuing to make small improvements to the site. Stay tuned...

GullRaDriel

I love that one, it's having spirit. Just change the date dude :-)

amarillion

Maybe add a coronavirus with an xmas hat?

RmBeer2

Replace coronavirus by hallowing or nothing. This must be the logo of krampus, it's nice.

amarillion

New countdown widget on the TINS home page:

{"name":"612722","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/4829f0982fdcc3b8ca1faba9b1eab382.png","w":512,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/4829f0982fdcc3b8ca1faba9b1eab382"}612722

So 9 people signed up already! Not bad, but there is room for a few more...

bamccaig

What the hell, I'll sign up. Though I always fail, I usually make more progress trying than not. ::) I plan to be off from the 19th to the 2nd so that might give me some time to work on this, though the wife is also off during that time so she will surely try to fill my days up with other stuff. :P

Niunio

Ok, Ok, I joined. Actually I feel down so maybe I'll fell down in any moment. I need a victory.

bamccaig

I can't believe nobody thought of COVID-themed wishes yet. :D

Edgar Reynaldo

I want nymphs and satyrs trying to ruin christmas. Krampus needs to down a rebellion by the elves. Must have faieries and hearts like zelda.

RmBeer2

@bamccaig are join!! He is wishing for the end of the world!!

I'm still short of ideas. I will probably integrate it with my DeepBlue or make it closed source. Go know. The future is too uncertain and my spirits are on the ground, I'm going to sign up anyway as if writing my testament, I'm going to release my last 3 wishes. It's easy to know that a devilish hand is going to painfully hold your neck until the end of the year, but what does it matter? It's fun! ;D

amarillion
bamccaig said:

I can't believe nobody thought of COVID-themed wishes yet.

Well, I thought my first wish was clearly COVID related:

My Wish said:

Something to play during an online social event. Me and my colleagues often hang out online at the end of the week. Some kind of multiplayer game would be ideal. Doesn't have to be real-time, turn-based is fine to keep it manageable.

Also Gull:

Gull's wish said:

1. Kill viruses

GullRaDriel

Yeah. I want to kill viruses, and particles ! :-D

amarillion

I thought of a modification of the rules. Now I don't want to be constantly changing the rules after people already signed up, but I feel that this change is harmless enough and useful enough to be worthwhile.

So here it is:

4. Dropping out.

If you drop out, Krampus will be angry with you. To appease Krampus, you must design a christmas e-card, addressed to your giftee (but for all to see), where you explain the lame excuse that prevented you from finishing your game and grovel for forgiveness. If you don't, Krampus will catch you.

What do you think?

edit: Maybe I should explain the rationale. The trouble with the current rules, is that the passing the gift though to the next in line, doesn't really make for a good gift. I think making an excuse card could make more sense in that situation.

RmBeer2

@amarillion :

It looks threatening. For all the guilty will be trapped in a red bag and beaten with reindeer kicks?

It really is silly. Since if the participant does not want to make a gift like a game, he is less going to make a Christmas card.

Mark Oates

{"name":"612736","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c1260a535c50f63f93b9f2a4d743ccc.png","w":512,"h":288,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c1260a535c50f63f93b9f2a4d743ccc"}612736

Larger Preview:
{"name":"612735","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fb103108ee8954795609f0a2ace895e.png","w":2721,"h":1531,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fb103108ee8954795609f0a2ace895e"}612735

Full Size:
download full size (7MB)

Elias

Ohh, I love it! Scary and ominous yet at the same time the Krampus also looks a bit like a funny sheep :D

bamccaig

Great work. That might catch some eyes on social media (assuming somebody has that still). Now to devise the most complicated way to display it in less than 2 weeks!

RmBeer2

@Mark Oates :
Seem like a game title or a film title. Nice.

amarillion

That's a really cool design. Where did you get the image for the monster silhouette, did you draw that yourself?

I'm definitely going to post that on social media!

Mark Oates

Thanks for all the complements - I didn't have a lot of time, and had to time-box my work to 1-hour so I'm glad it's well received.

Where did you get the image for the monster silhouette, did you draw that yourself?

I found an obscure black/white illustration on the internet that I couldn't find anywhere else, traced it, mirrored it and did some transformative blurring and whatnot. If I had more time, I would probably flip the horns and modify the eyes so they don't collide with the text. Again, didn't want to overthink anything and just get it out. The fonts I got from dafont, Eastman Black and Bovino Regular - a good font pairing if I say so myself. :)

Elias said:

Krampus also looks a bit like a funny sheep

Krampus is very offended. >:( :D

Elias

Krampus is very offended.

If you don't, Krampus will catch you.

I think I'm in trouble here.

amarillion
RmBeer2 said:

It looks threatening. For all the guilty will be trapped in a red bag and beaten with reindeer kicks?

It really is silly. Since if the participant does not want to make a gift like a game, he is less going to make a Christmas card.

It sounds that there isn't a great enthusiasm for this idea, so I'll leave the rules as is. No problemo.

If I had more time, I would probably flip the horns and modify the eyes so they don't collide with the text.

I can see your point about the overlapping eyes, but I wouldn't change the horns. The horns are perfect like this, it makes it more creative, less like a standard devil. Indeed it's a bit sheep or goat like, but in a cool, monstrous way.

Mark Oates

It sounds that there isn't a great enthusiasm for this idea, so I'll leave the rules as is. No problemo.

I think the impetus for the idea is cool. There might be some other way for someone to warmly bow out of the competition. Maybe some pre-made cards or something with a form and optional message, that doesn't feel like shame.

I think the problem is if someone is unable to have the time to finish, it's unlikely they'll have the time to assemble an apology or otherwise.

What's the current mechanism for dropping out? Just a note to you?

Elias

Maybe everyone can have just one wish instead of three but gets assigned two secret santas instead of one and then make a game that would fulfill both wishes. Now if about half the people drop out everyone should still receive one game made for them on average :)

Edgar Reynaldo

Maybe we can just do it normally and shame anyone who fails. ;)

I hereby nominate NiteHackr to join Krampus this year, so I can laugh when his superior C coding skills D0M1|\|@73 me

bamccaig

I thought of a modification of the rules. Now I don't want to be constantly changing the rules after people already signed up, but I feel that this change is harmless enough and useful enough to be worthwhile.

So here it is:

4. Dropping out.

If you drop out, Krampus will be angry with you. To appease Krampus, you must design a christmas e-card, addressed to your giftee (but for all to see), where you explain the lame excuse that prevented you from finishing your game and grovel for forgiveness. If you don't, Krampus will catch you.

What do you think?

edit: Maybe I should explain the rationale. The trouble with the current rules, is that the passing the gift though to the next in line, doesn't really make for a good gift. I think making an excuse card could make more sense in that situation.

I think that Mark's great logo stole the attention away from this. :P I thought it was a good idea.

I think it's a fun and harmless change. It's trivial to throw together some kind of e-card. You could probably make one in 5 minutes, but it shouldn't take anyone more than an hour unless they're getting overly fancy. There are probably even e-card generators online that could be used.

Of course, nothing prevents a participant from ignoring this rule because they've already lost and there's little to gain. And some might well legitimately become too busy to even make an e-card. It isn't the end of the world if cards aren't delivered. They're really just a respectful way to bow out instead of just quitting. :P I think it's a good idea as long as we don't take it too seriously.

Eric Johnson

I like the e-apology e-card idea.

Mark Oates

I did this on https://jspaint.app/ just now:

{"name":"612737","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a4b483d365ac4ed0a4ede0810a5d6d1.png","w":683,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a4b483d365ac4ed0a4ede0810a5d6d1"}612737

that... kinda works? 🤷‍♂️

Eric Johnson

"To appease Krampus, you must design a christmas e-card". That doesn't look too Christmas-y... ::)

Edgar Reynaldo

{"name":"612738","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/afa76cb61af3a78e508b477bad55c6ae.png","w":960,"h":639,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/afa76cb61af3a78e508b477bad55c6ae"}612738

Eric Johnson

Et tu, Edgar? </3 :'(

;D Momo is dead, and has been for a while. I wrote a new little lib in WebGL called Poyo though. I made it for myself and no one else (although others are certainly welcomed). I doubt a GUI master such as yourself would find much use of it, however.

Mark Oates

That doesn't look too Christmas-y... ::)

{"name":"612739","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3e8dc50ccd064048d8dbdd2fa9245dc.png","w":683,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3e8dc50ccd064048d8dbdd2fa9245dc"}612739
:P

Edgar Reynaldo

Eric Johnson, I'm sorry that makes me sad.

I was trying to pay tribute.

Eric Johnson

MUCH improved, Mark! I like it, very Christmas-y now! ;D

Eric Johnson, I'm sorry that makes me sad.

No need to be sorry or sad! Your image made me laugh. ;D I'm kind of surprised you remembered Momo, to be honest. :o Technically, Momo isn't dead. I just forked it, re-wrote it to be hardware-accelerated (seriously, there were so many limitations before, like trying to tint bitmaps in real-time in software, but now it's all on the hardware, baby 8-)), and re-branded it as "Poyo" instead. I might re-write my games using Poyo in the coming weeks/months.

Edgar Reynaldo

Freak's sake, quit teasing and show me Poyo

RmBeer2

{"name":"21063_12725.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/700a68e72beae62ecfb3981209dba5ae.jpg","w":300,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/700a68e72beae62ecfb3981209dba5ae"}21063_12725.jpg

Is Sabato Mihashigo of Dokuro Anime. But in horror version. :P

l j

I'd love to join but I know I'll just keep procrastinating.

Edgar Reynaldo
Mark Oates

Logo credit is not necessary for me. I'd just keep the focus on the message/brand, imo, but thank you. :)

amarillion

Ah well, I don't know how much attention we get on GameDev.net in the first place. I have a feeling we're being ignored.

LennyLen

If anyone is on gamedev.net, give a shout out.

It's been a while since I visited the site, but I logged in to do just that.

Dizzy Egg

Good luck to everyone, I would enter but my current situation would no doubt result in me dropping out, so I'll just say good luck and I look forward to your entries!

Doctor Cop

I'll join. I hope this time everything works out great and I manage to complete my game in time. Just got to know about GameDev.net, signing up.

Niunio

I'm still thinking my wish list...:-[

Edgar Reynaldo

Two days left to join!!!!!!!! Get on it!

Eric Johnson

During krampushack, your secret santa's logs will be hidden from you to maintain the surprise a little bit longer.

Just to clarify, does that mean all of the logs posted during the duration of the event will be hidden from public view until the event concludes?

Mark Oates

Just to clarify, does that mean all of the logs posted during the duration of the event will be hidden from public view until the event concludes?

On your feed, just the logs posted by your Secret Santa. With some deduction, you could probably figure out who that is, but I recommend not looking into it or giving it much thought.

As for public, probably everybody is posted, so make sure you're logged in before looking otherwise you're cheating :o:o:o!!

Eric Johnson

That's what I figured. I'll try not to peek. :-X

Edit:
Are the assignees randomly selected by software? Here's to hoping for good RNG.

Mark Oates

Alright - I posted my wishes. Les dooodiiiiss!!! 8-)8-)8-)

Dizzy Egg

Yeah I'm feeling more postive now, got a (VERY) basic engine up and running (going to add to logs on amarillion Krampus page).

Eric Johnson

Just a heads-up: the click-able link in the "KrampusHack 2020 starts tomorrow!" e-mail points to last year's address and 404s, despite what the text suggests. Here's the working link: https://tins.amarillion.org/krampu20/secretsanta/.

The excitement is brewing! :D

GullRaDriel

It's starting soon. Thanks for the updated link Eric :-)

Elias

For me the click-able link points to the KrampusHack 2019 secret santa which made this confusing. I think I know the correct one now. Maybe put a link also in the Rules page on the website, not just the email (since that has the wrong one...):

[edit:] I guess for people who were not in the 2019 one it leads to a 404 error, but for someone who was it just shows your the wrong person's 2019 log :P

the email said:

<li>You will be able to view your Secret Santa, when it's drawn,
by opening this link: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext"
href=3D"https://tins.amarillion.org/krampu19/secretsanta/">https:=
//tins.amarillion.org/krampu20/secretsanta/</a><br>
</li>

GullRaDriel

What Elias says is true. It's showing me my last year failure...
Guess what, having your wife at 8 month pregnant and a 3.5 yo energic young boy was not helping...
That year I may have more time as the little girl is already nearly 1 yo and the big boy is now 4.5 (and also my wonderful half / my wife can help a lot taking care of them when I can not/ am coding ^^).
That message was typed with little bad girl on my knees. She's saying hello to all ;-)

Mark Oates

It's showing me my last year failure...

;D

Quote:

She's saying hello to all ;-)

👋

RmBeer2

@amarillion :
you should go and take a look at your website, it is having serious health problems.

amarillion

A thousand apologies!. As some of you figured out already, I sent out the wrong link by email. I copy/pasted the message from last year. While I updated the text of the link, I neglected to update the link itself.

Everybody please double-check that you've got the right Secret Santa now, I'd hate for somebody to discover the mixup halfway through...

On your feed, just the logs posted by your Secret Santa. With some deduction, you could probably figure out who that is, but I recommend not looking into it or giving it much thought.

As for public, probably everybody is posted, so make sure you're logged in before looking otherwise you're cheating :o:o:o!!

That's almost right. The 'spoiler' flag will hide posts from the public AND your Secret Santa, until the end of the competition. So if you're not logged in, you won't see any spoiler posts right now. If you are logged in, you'll see the spoiler posts except the ones of your secret santa.

RmBeer2 said:

@amarillion :
you should go and take a look at your website, it is having serious health problems.

Could you be more specific?

bamccaig

I think that he's exaggerating a whole lot. :P It works fine. It has its share of ruffles, but that's understandable given that it's only used a few times a year and you have a busy life. :) Aside from the email glitch I'm not aware of any other breakage currently.

amarillion

By the way, no spoilers on IRC please! Somebody found out through IRC who their secret santa was...

Mark Oates
bamccaig said:

I'm not aware of any other breakage currently.

Same here. No slow speeds or anything, seems normal to me.

amarillion

All right, I'm glad it's mostly working.

I'm still making some fixes here and there. For example, you'll notice the spoiler posts are now always labeled (instead of just on your own posts), hopefully it will be less confusing this way.

Mark Oates

If anybody wants to follow - I'm streaming on Twitch - https://twitch.tv/markoates

I need more subs 8-)

LennyLen

I need more subs

Try Subway. I hear they have them in two different sizes.

Chris Katko

Mark was like hey, cool guy, and then he found out who I was. ;D ;D ;D "Oh.... its... you"

Blown away by how many custom tools Mark has built. Really impressive.

Mark Oates

"Oh.... its... you"

I was mostly bummed because I couldn't remember what your last name was when you said you were Chris. All I could think of was your avatar.

Quote:

Blown away by how many custom tools Mark has built. Really impressive.

Thank you. 🙏💻

Eric Johnson

Hey Amarillion, the TINS site 505s when submitting a log that includes emoji.

amarillion

Mark reported something similar last year, but it only happens with some emoji.

Which emoji were you using? I suspect it fails for code points outside the basic multilingual plane...

Eric Johnson

The smiling face with sunglasses one: 😎.

Mark Oates

Mark reported something similar last year, but it only happens with some emoji.

hmm...

The smiling face with sunglasses one: 😎.

Confirmed. That's the only emoji I would ever use to represent myself, so that's most likely the case. 😎

amarillion

That one is outside the BMP, so it's possible that that's the culprit.
I'll do some debugging today.

https://unicode-table.com/en/1F60E/

edit: I fixed it. Indeed, MySQL historically only supports a subset of unicode. I had to update collation on all tables and columns.

Eric Johnson

Nicely done!

Edgar Reynaldo

Nice logs Eric. ;)

Eric Johnson

Thanks, Bugsquasher. I look forward to seeing what you can cook-up. ;)

bamccaig
bamccaig said:

{"name":"33d082cca5f5e2da032e2e7288779293.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33d082cca5f5e2da032e2e7288779293.jpg","w":640,"h":303,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33d082cca5f5e2da032e2e7288779293"}33d082cca5f5e2da032e2e7288779293.jpg

https://twitch.tv/freefallwefall

Samuel Henderson

@bamccaig, I just tried looking at your stream however it has large segments of audio missing due to copyrighted material:

{"name":"612762","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/7\/e7976e5b8ebb2801d4ecc3e75f6f4194.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/7\/e7976e5b8ebb2801d4ecc3e75f6f4194"}612762

Which is a shame. I was looking forward to hearing your musings as you code :)

bamccaig

Damn. :( I think I can configure away the shared music, but I liked the fact that there was also music to help keep things lively and less boring. While I would love for the video to contain the live audio so that the video could live on forever, I think for now I'm more interested in people actually watching live, and that may mean sacrificing the playback quality for now. I'll look into if there's like an affordable premium/pro plan that allows for copyrighted content or something too. BTW, I'm back live again. Though we're about to eat dinner so I'll be going brb in a minute. But after that I intend to code for 8+ hours. I might even pull an all-nighter straight through to Christmas Eve.

Append:

{"name":"612763","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/459619e5a985d6819a1a02958ca69d80.png","w":992,"h":121,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/459619e5a985d6819a1a02958ca69d80"}612763

:o

LennyLen

I watched for a bit. You were buying things that would be considered illegal in my country.

Eric Johnson

Hey Amarillion, if I upload my entry now, it won't be available to others for download until the event concludes, right? For example, I see GullRaDriel has submitted an entry, but clicking on it 403s. I just want to confirm this is by design.

amarillion

Hey Eric!

No, there is no special logic on availability of entries. The error on Gull's entry is an unrelated permissions issue that keeps cropping up.

I'll make a note to improve this next year, but for now I just rely on your own discretion...

GullRaDriel

Do I have to do something special or my entry is going to be ok on the right time ?

amarillion
martijn@vps48147:~$ sudo chmod a+r /srv/tins-django/upload/2020_12_13-RazorCrest.7z

Fixed it...

I haven't figured out yet why some uploaded files get the wrong file system permissions. Maybe it has something to do with the file type. I'll code up a more thorough fix later.

Doctor Cop

I am very sorry to say that I won't be able to complete my entry before or even after Christmas. I didn't get any holidays and I have been working even on my weekends. I don't know how to explain my situation, I have a very unrealistic deadline to catch and now I'm working almost 13 to 14 hours per day. If I get time then I'll release my game in mid Jan, otherwise in Feb 2021.

Again, I'm sorry for dropping out, I hate doing this, but I'm not getting any time to work on my game.

I'll prepare a sorry card in my lunch time and after work time.

Regard, yours truly.

RmBeer2

This is the last time I'm going to try to make a game.

I have already lost the love for programming or games.

Eric Johnson

rm -f rmbeer2 :'(

Dizzy Egg
RmBeer2 said:

I have already lost the love for programming or games.

Sounds like me after the first Speedhack I registered for.

Maybe after you get your hands on some of the finished code from Krampus Hack you could use it for the next hack?

Definitely don't give up.

LennyLen
Dizzy Egg said:

Definitely don't give up.

video

Dizzy Egg

That's a beautiful song Lenny, but for this situation I was thinking more...

One for RmBeer2

Chris Katko

video

Eric Johnson

I see the deadline is now Friday instead of Thursday. Is that just a clarification of the original intent? I assume that means 2021.01.01 at 00:00:00 (YYYY.MM.DD HH:MM:SS), right? In my experience, most can't seem to agree on what "midnight" of a given date really means (if it were me, I'd specify 23:59:59 instead of "midnight" so we're all on the same page)... For example, is midnight Friday one second elapsed from Thursday, or does it mean the general moment just before Friday becomes Saturday?

Also, rmbeer, don't give up. Even if you don't finish a game for this little event, try to learn something from the experience. The best advice I can offer is to keep the scope smaller next time. Avoid creep at all costs. It's better to ship a seemingly basic, yet functioning game than attempt to ship an ambition one but become empty-handed. Likewise, try not to steer too far from what you already know or are comfortable with when working with a deadline. If you've never worked in 3D before, for example, a hack is not really the place to bet it all on something so foreign. Best of luck to you!

bamccaig

Practically speaking midnight is always 00:00:00.000, but it's such a short instant that it's difficult to collide within the computer with it. :) Practically probably everything from 00:00:00.000 to just before 00:00:01.000 counts. :P

The rules state:

Friday 1 January 2021. End time is midnight in your own time zone. I'm not going to be very strict about time, a few hours off is fine.

That to me says your entry must be submitted by 2021-01-01 00:00:00.000, but a few hours off is fine (so like 03:00:00.000 local time may still pass).

Mark Oates
RmBeer2 said:

Maybe you'll like playing the game from your Secret Santa!

Edgar Reynaldo

I have to bow out. I won't have a playable game by the time the deadline is here. I don't know why I enter these competitions, I never finish.

Mark Oates

I don't know why I enter these competitions, I never finish.

You will eventually. What'd you come up with?

Eric Johnson

@Edgar: </3 :'( We'd be curious to see what you cooked-up anyway, finished or not. :)

Niunio

I almost give up but in the last second I have a game. Not the best one, not the one he deserves and not even the best I can do (:-/) but the final result is neat and cozy (I think).

Edgar Reynaldo

Considering my game isn't finished, I'm going to turn it into an E-card. I can manage to do that, at least. ;P

Dizzy Egg

I managed to get mine done in time. There's a good chance I'll add a bit more, the bits that I thought of but didn't have time to implement.

Mark Oates

I've got all the minimum stuff in there, I just need to add a boss level then I have a complete but very short game.

If I'm up late maybe I can craft a second level before the deadline.

amarillion

I'm trying to put together a clear overview. This is what I have so far, please help me fill the gaps...

• I've got 8 submissions, from: Eric, Elias, GullRaDriel, SiegeLord, archdark, NunoMartinez, DizzyEgg and myself

• I've got 1 entry from push32 that will be added to the site later.

• I've got 3 clear drop-out notices from BugSquasher, DoctorCop and Tharro

• I'm still expecting a submission from Mark Oates. What are you waiting for, Mark?

• I'm not sure about RmBeer, Bamccaig and relpatseht. They were working on games at some point, they didn't submit, but they aren't clearly out either.

Mark Oates

I'm still expecting a submission from Mark Oates. What are you waiting for, Mark?

Oooh, I did send an email about 9:56AM EST with my submission to your gmail. Did you manage to get it? And just now I put up the announce post: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/618320

GullRaDriel

It was cool. As usual when I'm finishing (which is not common for me), I want to polish it and make it a real game (which I'm never doing). I need to win the lottery so I can spend my time hacking stupid things of my own X-D
I'm willing to try and review each entry during the imparted time.
I wish you a good year, and fun.
8-)

amarillion

Oooh, I did send an email about 9:56AM EST with my submission to your gmail. Did you manage to get it?

Got it! I'll add your entry, together with push32's, to the uploads page in a short while.

bamccaig

I'm afraid that I'm clearly out. :( I got hung up on some stupid bug for a couple of days, and my overnight C++ environment cost me some hours too. So I'll be submitting an e-card somehow. :)

amarillion

Status update:

9 completed (I uploaded Mark's entry to the site)
1 waiting - I'm still waiting for push32 to contact me to retry that failed upload
5 definitely out
1 probably out (no confirmation from Relpatseth yet)

With 10 entries out of 16 participants, I consider that a pretty good haul this year!

I'm going to wait a bit longer to resolve these before I send out a concluding email.

GullRaDriel

@amarillion how can I update my entry to add missing allegro dlls spotted by SiegeLord ? Can I just re-upload entry ?

amarillion

Do you have a place where you can upload it yourself? Then just link it from your depot thread, and perhaps also from your log for completeness sake.

GullRaDriel

Done and done. Thanks for the quick answer.

Niunio

I'm silly :-/ :

The zip file I submitted doesn't include sources, just binary for Windows, but also doesn't include Allegro DLLs because it were more than 5MiB.

I really don't know what I was thinking about. I'll create the thread at the Depo forums and see.

GullRaDriel

How do we cast review results ? The countdown has started, but I don't see any way to vote.

amarillion

Yeah, I removed the voting count-down. I didn't think this part completely through.

The trouble is, the TINS site voting part is completely geared towards TINS, not KrampusHack. For example, it will make you vote on art/tech/genre/overall categories, but that doesn't really make sense right now. Since everybody had different requirements to start with, it's not really easy to pick a winner anyway.

Instead, I propose we do the following: review the games here on the forums. Most games already have an allegro.cc depot thread, so you can just add your review in there. If you want to go further, you may also send your reviews around to the tins competition mailing list. Everybody is welcome to declare a winner from their own personal perspective, and if somehow a clear consensus arises from that, then we may elevate this to official status.

The most important thing is to get these games played! I love getting feedback on my own game and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. With that in mind, it would be great if somebody could help me compile a windows binary pack. Is anybody interested in doing that? I can find hosting space for it.

by the way, last status upate:

I've also added RmBeer's entry to the site. It's late so it should be disqualified for any prizes (spoiler alert: there aren't any), but I still think it's nice to fulfill one more secret santa.

So with that, we've got 11 submissions out of 16. Not bad at all!

GullRaDriel

Yeah, that's a great harvest of entries ! I remember not having that much finished a dozen years ago.

RmBeer2

@amarillion :
Thank you very much for still adding me to the list, even though it was a bit late. :)
At least I can say that I have finished a game for the competition, sure? 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo

Since I figured I'd wasted about 6 days due to narcilepsy and brain freeze, I'd make up those six days now. I've put about 4 days in since new year's and while I have some progress to show, it's nothing to brag about. But nevertheless I will share what I have now in two days, and see where that gets me.

Sorry to keep you waiting Eric, you're my giftee. I haven't made you a card, but I will submit all assets and source code to you in 2 days and make some binaries. Windows or Linux?

POYO RULES. KNEEL BEFORE SIR ERIC OF JOHNSON.

;D

Eric Johnson

Sorry to keep you waiting Eric, you're my giftee. I haven't made you a card, but I will submit all assets and source code to you in 2 days and make some binaries. Windows or Linux?

I look forward to it! Windows, please. :)

Edgar Reynaldo

Dude. I want to see Poyo. But gift for you first, then PoY0.

/(`|`)\

Eric Johnson

You can already see Poyo on GitHub. The README will tell you how to use it, and will provide links to examples and a reference guide. You can then get a better feel for how I used Poyo in my little KrampusHack game (forum post and source on GitHub). :)

I'm slowly working on the second version. I want to add stereo audio panning, texture transformations (as opposed to only transforming vertices), documentation improvements, performance enhancements, support for loading screens and custom game loops, and primitives (as silly as it sounds, I originally only intended to blit bitmaps, so I didn't write any primitive-drawing methods).

Edgar Reynaldo

SWEET8-)

bamccaig

@bamccaig, I just tried looking at your stream however it has large segments of audio missing due to copyrighted material:

Alas, I think that all of my streams have been taken down due to copyright infringement because I was listening to music at the time (which anyone else could do for free) (while not monetizing anything...).

I did manage to download an 11 hour stream including the audio. I'm guessing this was my second all-nighter and first stream, but it's all pretty foggy now... Alas, I cannot publish it through any official channels because they all automatically detect the music playing and block it (and if they didn't I'd probably just get sued instead). :P

It's pretty painful to watch because my mic is constantly cutting out too. I'm too lazy to actually go through all 11 hours to try to figure out how much of that time was actually broadcasting versus "brb". My overnight setup wasn't as good as I had hoped, but still better than I imagined.

amarillion
RmBeer2 said:

At least I can say that I have finished a game for the competition, sure?

Yes, it counts!

Eric Johnson

With that in mind, it would be great if somebody could help me compile a windows binary pack. Is anybody interested in doing that? I can find hosting space for it.

Any word on this?

I haven't made you a card, but I will submit all assets and source code to you in 2 days and make some binaries.

Edgar, I'm dying to see what you've cooked-up here! :)

Edgar Reynaldo

Sorry Eric, I've been in a coding slump lately. Hard to get my ass in gear these days. Just needed a few days off from everything. As soon as I get my navigation routine done I will post it. They're too dumb as they are, they can only go 3 directions out of 8. I hope you will like it.

amarillion

Well, I've started on the binary pack myself. But I'm stuck on Mark's entry, that just doesn't want to run on windows. Could anybody give me a hand with that one?

Edit: first version of binary pack is complete, see this thread: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/618340

Thread #618289. Printed from Allegro.cc