Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What is Hypnosis? (i need YOUR OPINION)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What is Hypnosis? (i need YOUR OPINION)
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

The woman that Chris was defending makes millions of dollars selling CDs that help you enlarge your penis. If you can enlarge your penis, why cannot you grow a new limb? It seems like she should be driving hospitals out of business.

Some people are scammers, is this news?

Also, i did point out scientific evidence of physical effects (brain changes) in hypnosis. The effects of hypnosis are REAL, ladies have painless childbirthing thanks to it and countless surgeries where made without anesthetics during war time (when the simply didn't have any left).

Quote:

And because you are doing nothing, there's actually nothing physical that you can cure unless it is something imaginary or stress related.

From the wikipedia article:

Quote:

Irritable bowel syndrome

Hypnotherapy has been used to treat irritable bowel syndrome. Researchers who recently reviewed the best studies in this area conclude:

The evidence for hypnosis as an efficacious treatment of IBS was encouraging. Two of three studies that investigated the use of hypnosis for IBS were well designed and showed a clear effect for the hypnotic treatment of IBS.[54]

Hypnosis for IBS has received moderate support in the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence guidance published for UK health services.[55] It has been used as an aid or alternative to chemical anesthesia,[56][57][58] and it has been studied as a way to soothe skin ailments.[59]

In one study conducted at the Frenchay Hospital, thirty-three patients with IBS were given four separate sessions of hypnosis over the course of seven weeks, each session lasting 40 minutes. Of the thirty-three patients, twenty reported an improvement in their symptoms while eleven were shown to be cleared of all symptoms.[60] However some skeptics have claimed this sample size too small to be a meaningful result.
Treating skin diseases with hypnosis (hypnodermatology) has performed well in treating warts, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis

But you seem to react quite defensively to the topic, there isn't much sense in me trying to persuade you.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

FMC said:

But you seem to react quite defensively to the topic, there isn't much sense in me trying to persuade you.

I'm just the voice of reason for anybody who finds himself reading this thread.

I've nothing against the idea that a calmer, less stressed out person is less likely to be sick. But to pretend that you can cure things for one low price of $50 is just disgusting.

The sex scene in the Penn & Teller show was an example of BS. Hey look, if you rub yourself, while I rub you and tell you to imagine dirty things you can make yourself orgasm! Let's call it hypnosis! In the real world, we just call that lesbian sex. And you're not a hypnotist, you're a prostitute.

Do I believe in "hypnosis"? I'd have to say "no" because it covers far too many ridiculous topics, and it seems that anybody who claims to be a hypnotist also believes in some subset of the ridiculous.

But do I believe that some self-titled hypnotists may be able to trick somebody into believing that they no longer want to smoke? Yeah, that's as possible as my tricking a child into believing that I have taken his nose and getting him to play along with me.

It's just a made up word for being a con artist. It's no more scientific than a magician's trick.

And so if you can help people by being a con artist, then I have no problems with that. But when you cross the line into pretending that you can treat cancer, then you're a criminal fraudster.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

But when you cross the line into pretending that you can treat cancer, then you're a criminal fraudster.

You cannot cure cancer with hypnosis (i agree with the criminal fraudster part for those who say otherwise) but you can definetely improve the living condition of people with cancer by using hypnosis: http://www.triroc.com/sunnen/topics/cancer.hypnosis.htm
http://www.mindmotivations.com/resources/hypnosis-and-cancer-trials

If you say that "hypnosis" is sometimes used out of place by scammers i DO agree with you.
But the FACT that clinical hypnosis exists and helps a LOT of people is plainly true.

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Thanks to Matthew my perception of hypnosis changed. Before this thread I actually gave it quite some probability to have some kind of scientific basis - now I put it in the same drawer as homeopathy and faith healers and so on :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Elias said:

Thanks to Matthew my perception of hypnosis changed. Before this thread I actually gave it quite some probability to have some kind of scientific basis - now I put it in the same drawer as homeopathy and faith healers and so on :)

Err, did you read any of my posts? :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I used to think I got drunk too, but it was all in my head.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

bamccaig said:

The pro-hypnotists are like the Scientologists of a Scientology debate

Did anyone actually read this link? (or any other of the MEDICAL trial links i posted...) http://books.google.com/books?id=uYKaMWAfcewC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=szechtman+pet+scan&source=bl&ots=HFoaGHA9Ue&sig=oeV5vP6NMLNjXoYVTo45U_Spc2E&hl=en&ei=S523TvnbMoizhAe-zYGeBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=szechtman%20pet%20scan&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=uYKaMWAfcewC&lpg=PA25&hl=it&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's FULL of scientific evidence of hypnotic effects.
Thing is, i'm the only one actually posting some references while the anti-hypnotists just say "it 'aint true 'cause i say so"

[EDIT] My link-fu is fail, i was linking to the wrong link...
This is the good one:
http://books.google.com/books?id=uYKaMWAfcewC&lpg=PA25&hl=it&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q&f=false (check also the rest of the pages in the chapter)

[edit2]
{"name":"605069","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5effa7d6acfd4baac38d634d6ce9e091.jpg","w":608,"h":370,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5effa7d6acfd4baac38d634d6ce9e091"}605069

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If you define hypnosis as a placebo effect then you are basically admitting that it's nothing because that is what a placebo is. As for your claim that it helps people, "so does" Christianity, Scientology, homeopathy, etc. :P So do placebos, which by definition are effectively nothing. :P I don't think measuring brain activity is a very scientific approach to confirming hypnosis without defining what that brain activity means for hypnosis. We already know that brain activity is affected by what the brain is doing and that you can affect changes in brain activity by providing some stimulus.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

If you define hypnosis as a placebo effect then you are basically admitting that it's nothing because that is what a placebo is.

Wikipedia said:

in 1994, Irving Kirsch characterized hypnosis as a "nondeceptive placebo," i. e., a method that openly makes use of suggestion and employs methods to amplify its effects.

In other words, the placebo effect is real, and hypnosis brings it forth in a pure state. So taking a sugar pill to ward off a headache is a mild form of self-hypnosis.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

The idea behind the things you keep calling fraud is that the mind can have a powerful effect on the body. I personally don't care about the hypnotists who offer their services for this stuff because it really does have a low success rate, but the ones experimenting with it for its own sake entirely within the community (and not marketed to the public) have had interesting results.

FMC said:

You cannot cure cancer with hypnosis.

Again, low success rate, but if you want to look into a specific example of the principle, Google an old case study of Krebiozen and "Mr. Wright" from 1957. You can find write-ups of this from Scientific American to wacko homeopathic sites so everyone can pick their biases. Call it placebo, call it hypnosis, call it bullshit, call it whatever. However, this is the sort of effect your subconscious and beliefs can (and do) have on your physical body, and some hypnotists have been able to produce this phenomenon with hypnosis ... again, LOW success rate. But if the subconscious can have this effect on the body, why would it be considered a leap to say it's at least possible with hypnosis (the only discipline that deals directly with the subconscious)?

FMC said:

Some people are scammers, is this news?

Apparently so.

FMC said:

Thing is, i'm the only one actually posting some references while the anti-hypnotists just say "it 'aint true 'cause i say so"

That's because no one cares what bambam says. :P A placebo can put a cancer patient in full remission and he thinks it's nothing ...

Sounds to me that hypnotists are just scammers: they take your money knowing full well that they cannot effect change. The thinking is basically, "Because I spent $100, I better change. Otherwise I wasted money."

Not that I agree with this, but saying they can't change but change anyway seems contradictory ...

So taking a sugar pill to ward off a headache is a mild form of self-hypnosis.

Seconded.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The idea behind the things you keep calling fraud is that the mind can have a powerful effect on the body.

Look at someone crying. Can you say that their puffy red eyelids and tears are a intentional "fraud" to induce sympathy?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I find that hypnosis is often a form of guided meditation. I started with hypnosis before I was into meditation, a few years back. I have a track that helps with "memory and focus", and it has a couple of key instructions that have indeed proven useful. It gives you a couple of triggers. One is placing your thumb and index finger to your forehead to recall information. It seems effective, and often when I struggle with remembering something (like where my keys are, or the name of a movie or actor), I can bring my hand to my forehead and it just pops in. It seems to dissolve distractions for just a moment, enough for me to pull the answer out.

Hypnosis doesn't work on everyone, especially not in their first exposure to it.

FMC said:

You cannot cure cancer with hypnosis.

Hypnosis will not cure cancer, but it can help to raise spirits significantly and that can aid in curing cancer. I know a meditation teacher out of Toronto that comes into my office to do meditation sessions. She releases guided meditation CDs that are intended for cancer patients and she has seen successes. The CDs say right on them that they are not intended to cure cancer, but they are intended to lift you up so that you can fight it at an emotional and 'spiritual' level (my words, not hers).

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Apparently so.

You were the one that brought up that Wendi chick. :P

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

And 99% of her work is quite legitimate. Lots of hypnotists offer recordings for things like this, but I assume that's only because there's demand for it.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

that Wendi chick.

I had to google for her, and "Confessions of a Quackbuster" and the second sentence said "Get rich quick by speculating on gold" and it reminded me of you guys getting all excited about Bitcoins.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Firstly... science has for more than half a century been equipped with tools to differentiate low success rate from zero success rate. Having a low success rate does not excuse anything, or make it immune to scientific analysis.

Now, I will go as far as saying that there is a mental state (as defined by various brain scans) that is associated with some forms of hypnosis. I glanced at some papers that suggest you can alleviate pain using hypnosis... maybe I believe that too. However, taking that as evidence for the greater concept of hypnosis doesn't hold water. To the extent that hypnosis is equivalent to the placebo effect, I believe in it. Any extensions to that as advocated by quacks like Wendi Friesen I would not believe in until scientific evidence turns up for it.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

And 99% of her work is quite legitimate. Lots of hypnotists offer recordings for things like this, but I assume that's only because there's demand for it.

Yes, there is demand for penis enlargement, but I highly doubt hypnosis can do more than give you a hard on. Based on the limited evidence I've seen, she's more akin to homeopathy practitioners. "I can give you water for hundreds of dollars and you'll get better!" yay! If that doesn't scream quack, I don't know what does.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

SiegeLord said:

Firstly... science has for more than half a century been equipped with tools to differentiate low success rate from zero success rate. Having a low success rate does not excuse anything, or make it immune to scientific analysis.

Cool; no one said it did.

Quote:

I glanced at some papers that suggest you can alleviate pain using hypnosis... maybe I believe that too.

Do you believe that invasive surgery can be done using hypnosis as the only anesthetic?

As for "science", I haven't seen any yet, only opinion. I'm still curious what everyone thinks of the Mr. Wright case, and whether or not you accept that subconscious beliefs can strongly affect physical change. This is just the placebo effect, too.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Yes, there is demand for penis enlargement, but I highly doubt hypnosis can do more than give you a hard on.

Maybe you're supposed to pull at it in an attempt to stretch it out.

Do you believe that invasive surgery can be done using hypnosis as the only anesthetic?

If hypnosis is like a dissociation (which is what I speculated above), then I would say that it's possible. Dissociation certainly exists, and I wouldn't exclude the idea that it can be put to good use.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Not my field, so I believe nothing. I don't remember the pain circuitry well enough to know whether such thing is possible. One word of caution though is that even if you make the subject ignore the pain, the periphery will still experience it and you are liable to get phantom pain side-effects. Hypnosis would have to operate on the level of dorsal root ganglia to be truly effective.

Quote:

I'm still curious what everyone thinks of the Mr. Wright case

Given that we still have cancer and we don't melt tumors like snowballs on stoves, I think the story is bogus. It's a single datapoint and the methodology used in that case study seemed very bizarre. It all could have been a coincidence and without further repetition, I see no evidence that it was anything but that.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I'm not saying there was no repetition or a single datapoint. I'm just volunteering this one example because it's (relatively) well known. So ... bogus? It just didn't happen?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Again, low success rate, but if you want to look into a specific example of the principle, Google an old case study of Krebiozen and "Mr. Wright" from 1957

A low success rate that is distinguishable from no effect at all?
It's easy enough to do the control experiment, all you need is enough cancer patients. Hell, the existing medical records may be good enough for such a study (I don't know).
There is anecdotal evidence about cancer going into spontaneous remission, which should be perfectly possible but also very rare (but the sample of patients is large enough that you might see it some times).

Quote:

A placebo can put a cancer patient in full remission and he thinks it's nothing ...

Placebo effect is still an effect. The relevant question is to what extent the body's own immune system is able to overcome a disease. Stress reduces the effectiveness of the immune system, so reducing that will increase your chances.
To show that something is effective as a treatment it needs to perform better than a placebo, not as good as a placebo.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Not that I agree with this, but saying they can't change but change anyway seems contradictory ...

What I'm getting at is a more honest person would tell the person that hypnotherapy is nothing but a placebo effect and that you don't need me to change. If "hypnotherapy" works, then you could have accomplished the same thing by just believing in yourself. Instead, the patient is duped into thinking the hypnotist actually has some sort of "power" and is likely to keep going back for more help.

As I've said many times, at the end of the day, if a hypnotherapist can help you channel your inner self, then there's nothing necessarily wrong with it. But it still is dangerously close to being a fraudulent act, depending on how it is represented.

But when you venture into such ridiculous statements like "99% of Wendi's crap is legitimate" (why doesn't she send LeBron James her basketball CD?) or point to single data points / "extremely low success rates" as being proof that something works, then you've entered into a whole new level of delusion.

SiegeLord said:

To the extent that hypnosis is equivalent to the placebo effect, I believe in it. Any extensions to that as advocated by quacks like Wendi Friesen I would not believe in until scientific evidence turns up for it.

Exactly how I feel.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The interesting thing is, one (or more? Can't remember) study showed that the placebo effect is still in effect when the subject knows they are getting a placebo. I found that interesting.

--

Go to: