Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What is Hypnosis? (i need YOUR OPINION)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What is Hypnosis? (i need YOUR OPINION)
james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

My loosely lucid dreams usually begin with me realising that I'm lucid and then zooming in on my surroundings to a sub-atomic level. These dreams certainly do feel "razor sharp", but they are not the most interesting dreams I've had. It's either this or I decide to start flying. :P

The dreams that I really enjoy (and these are in no way lucid) are the ones where I wake up in an emotional state that I have not experienced before. For example, the other day I dreamt of a vast temple in a forest, with hazy dappled light streaming through the leaves. It wasn't particularly vivid, but I woke up with such a strong feelings of something ancient and powerful that for 10 minutes after waking it warped the whole perception I have of my life.

Sirocco said:

Start here if you're actually serious about LDing

I stopped at the bit where it says I'll have to wake up multiple times per night to record my dreams. Sleep is precious to me, and this is starting to sound like a great way to cause sleep deprivation.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

The dreams that I really enjoy (and these are in no way lucid) are the ones where I wake up in an emotional state that I have not experienced before.

I can sorta relate to that. Most of my LDs are fun, but the dreams that really stick with me are the ones that come out of nowhere. I had a non-LD dream a few years back where I launched into orbit from an old Apollo mission capsule (dream physics FTW) parked just outside a Dollar General on the other side of the city. Things didn't go according to plan, and I shot past orbit and drifted out past our solar system and deep into the Milky Way. I guess I had been playing Mario Galaxy too much, because I noticed a bunch of cool galaxies in the distance made up of various materials: legos, Lincoln Logs, match sticks, Super Mario ? blocks, etc. I realized I was running out of oxygen and had no way to get home, so I sat back in my tiny capsule and watched galaxies drift by until I expired. It was a surprisingly sublime experience.

There was a point to all that, I swear :)

I woke up from the dream feeling fucking awesome. Unbelievably refreshed, at that... and it lasted much of the day. It doesn't happen often, but when it does you really take notice.

Quote:

I stopped at the bit where it says I'll have to wake up multiple times per night to record my dreams. Sleep is precious to me, and this is starting to sound like a great way to cause sleep deprivation.

Do keep in mind that much of the material is written for people who are overly eager, and wanting to get into LDing as fast as possible. I took a much slower, measured approach where I set my alarm ten minutes early, then used the time to remember as much of my dreams as I could. I then used a voice recorder to log all the details while I did ye olde brush-teeth-comb-hair-shave-etc routine. Combined with autosuggestion, I eventually started having LDs with increasing frequency. I still have them less often than I'd like, but it's better than it was when I started, where I had two over the course of my entire life ^___^

So, no, there's no need to wake up during the night. If you do, for whatever reason, you can repeat something simple as you fall back to sleep, such as "I know I'm dreaming" which may give you a little boost. Or you could suggest subject matter for upcoming dreams instead. "I'll dream about Godzilla smashing Tokyo", for example :)

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Uggh. I've started having a lot of repeats again. Starting to get nightmare-ish again. Pisses me off.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Wow. I was woken up by my housemate leaving in the early hours of the morning and so decided to have a stab at a lucid dream.

The first thing to note: falling back asleep whilst conscious is extremely unpleasant. I don't know whether it's because I've been suffering from allergies recently and therefore have trouble breathing at night, but it felt like being suffocated with a cushion.

Actually if it wasn't for the fact that I used to play a game with a by brother as a kid where he would try to suffocate me with a cushion, and I would go completely calm and just breathe through the cushion, I'm certain that I would have given up on attempting the lucid dream and just woken up completely.

I've experienced sleep paralysis many times when waking up, but I've never experienced being concious while falling asleep.

Anyway it worked. The dream was crystal clear. I could even move my hands in front of my face. I immediately floating out the window into the street where it was snowing and walked around a bit. I then conjured up a beautiful woman to talk to but hadn't decided who it was, and so her face was blurred which after a short period caused the whole dream to fall apart.

Now here's the thing: I remember being completely concious and I remember the surroundings as clearly as I remember yesterday, but I'm still not convinced that I actually was. Why didn't I decide to try the long division task I mentioned - had I just forgotten? Why didn't I just stop and plan what I was about to do. I know myself well, and this is the first thing I would do if I was truly concious.

I can't deny the it was very different to an ordinary dream, and the horrendous experience of falling asleep while conscious is evidence enough that something strange was going on, but I'm still not convinced that the dream itself was anything more than an illusion of consciousness.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Do left brain/ right brain restriction still apply in lucid dreams? I was under the impression that reading is supposedly off-limit in dreams. Algebra is certainly a heavily left-brained activity. Long division generally requires interaction with the environment so trying to combine the two might produce strange results if you can manage it, such as the test mentioned earlier with separated brain hemispheres.

A few times, I've had to stay up studying despite being extremely tired. I feel that, seeing that my conscious mind would not let sleep happen, my subconscious lulled me into believing that I was studying so I could be taken into sleep. Once, my sister tried to get me to actually go to bed and I shooed her away saying that I was studying, and I remember actually believing it.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I haven't had a lucid dream in quite a while since I've been taking sleeping pills (short term). I hit stupidly low level sleep with them and it interferes with my memory and such, but in about a week I'll be off them and back to normal. The stress at work was getting to be a bit much, and I needed to make sure I was getting at least 8 solid hours a night. Big projects require concentration :)

My experience is that the only obstacle between you maintaining a lucid dream is your ability to concentrate on maintaining it. If you stop and concentrate on one particular thing your subconscious will start reasserting control, and you'll be swept back into the dream, losing your lucidity. This is a gradual, yet swift process, and it's easy to ignore it until it's too late. I have no trouble reading, whether it be in books or messages scrawled on walls, and things requiring cognitive work beyond just conversing and physical activity are no problem as long as I don't obsess over them. If you don't stop and periodically remind yourself that you are dreaming, and perform simple stabilization techniques -- you will lose the dream. Every time. Absolutely.

The way I think of LDing is like being swept down a river. If you get the chance, at certain areas you can swim against the flow. As long as you keep swimming in the opposite direction, you won't go further downstream. Pause for too long, and...

If you want to create a book and read it, you'd better be prepared to stop every paragraph (or page, depending on practice) and retrain your thoughts.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Thought I'd throw this out for more about the division of the brain. To answer something mentioned far above, this isn't directly related to hypnosis. I'm also not sure how well accepted this thinking is; it will probably be accused of being unscientific again. :) But it might get you thinking about the way the brain operates, which is what the theory, practice and study of hypnosis is based on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=dFs9WO2B8uI

Leaving the link like that since I apparently fail at movies now ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: