Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What is Hypnosis? (i need YOUR OPINION)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What is Hypnosis? (i need YOUR OPINION)
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Hypnosis has been one of my main interests for the past few years, so i kind of know the "correct" answer(s) to the question, but i was curious to see what was the general public's view on this subject.

I want to read the genuine thoughts from people with little exposure to hypnosis.
So please no googling, i'm interested in your personal opinion on what hypnosis is and how it works.

Thank you :)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Practising hypnosis, like planning for world domination and ninja training, is an occupation favoured by the sad kid who sat in the corner at school, sucked at sport, underachieved and who nobody liked. :P

But on a more serious note, I don't believe that hypnosis exists. At least certainly not in the traditional controlling sense, though I will conceded that attempting to influence the subconscious may be of some benefit.

Still, I don't believe that the subconscious is in any major way independent of the conscious. I'm more inclined to believe that people are not saying what they really feel or think because they are in denial, and the general state of their mind is a bit off. A bit like a system that is misrepresenting the fact that its internal state is in a mess and it's about to explode. I also believe that talking about the conscious and subconscious is much too simple a model in the first place.

Just because someone thinks that they think something doesn't mean that their concious mind actually thinks it. It's more likely that their reasoning about what they think is flawed. They could simply not be intelligent enough to reason about their own conscious thoughts. I don't see why the mythical "subconscious" even needs to come into this equation.

"But surely what someone thinks they think is their conscious mind?" I hear you shout. Yeah maybe. I don't claim to have thought this through, I'm just doing my usual thing and trying to offend people. :P

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I'm probably completely wrong here, but I see it as a way to stimulate someone's memory by trying to put them in an imagined situation. I don't see it as controlling so much as trying to get someone to remember something by creating the same feelings and sensations as when the memory first occurred.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Well, all I know about hypnosis is from movies and I doubt it really exists. At least in the ways depicted there - that is you tell someone to be sleepy and then give them some commands and they have to follow it no matter what (and aren't even aware of that themselves). Including impossible things like remembering some small detail from an event many years ago which they had already forgotten.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I believe Hypnosis is an old old wooden ship used in the cival war era.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

video

I don't know how hypnosis is supposed to work, but I generally don't believe it's much more than a placebo effect. However, if you could somehow control a person's dreams, I suppose you might be able to do something interesting...

Just this morning my alarm clock was going off in my dream and I couldn't get it to shut off. I was trying everything, and getting very angry. >:(

Five minutes later in the real world, I woke up and shut off my iPod's alarm. :P

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Blargh; I see a thread like this five minutes before I head out the door? :) Yes, hypnosis is real, no it's not what you see in the movies, it's basically just being guided into a trance state (which is something you can do yourself; ever daydream?) although it's admittedly a tough thing to nail down with a definition. Even if you ask hypnotists (yes, I am one) what hypnosis is, you'll get differing responses.

BBL, yes it's real, watch Mythbusters or something. :) /bye

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I used to have a hypnosis mp3 to put you in a trance.
It was kinda like a lucid dream.
In fact, I think it was just a lucid dream but wake induced.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Some people are very suggestible. Some people will buy something that a flashy ad tells them to, hypnotized or not. I think that these people can be "hypnotized" by suggesting to them that they're even more suggestible than usual.

Back in the '60's, a study was done with college kids, offering a reward of $1000 (equivalent to ~$10000 now) if they could pretend to be hypnotized, getting a leg pierced with a needle without flinching etc. Some of them were able to do it.

So the suggestible people get their motivation from trying to please the hypnotist.

For the record, I've been hypnotized, and I certainly didn't act like my usual self.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

All I know about hypnosis is from the movies. I suspect it is like subliminal advertising though. Arthur, when you were hypnotized, were you aware of what you were doing, or did someone show you a video, or tell you what you did? I heard you don't remember anything from being hypnotized.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I remembered everything (although I only remember a few fragments now, as it was more than 30 years ago). Supposedly you won't remember anything if you're told not to remember before being awakened.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't believe it's real, I think that hypnotists are liars (I'm looking at you, 23!), and I think that "victims" are gullible sheeple wanting so much to fit in that they aren't willing to spoil the fun. In other words, I think it's a mind game to exploit the weak minded among us for personal gain.

I don't claim to have thought this through, I'm just doing my usual thing and trying to offend people. :P

Then what am I here for?! >:( We should agree to a schedule or something.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

The brain is a very complicated thing, and many things about how it works are not understood (and there will be many things that are well understood that I don't know about). I also don't know a great deal about how the mind works.

What I do know is that it's possible for the mind to enter a dissociative state, where you may do things that you normally wouldn't, or where you can "store" traumatic experiences. This can lead to (severe) mental health problems, and some people are more susceptible to this than others. I can easily imagine that it is possible to induce something like a dissociative state in which people are susceptible to suggestions, and how easy it is to do this (and what sort of suggestions they're susceptible to) will depend on the individual and whether they wish to cooperate or not.
I would expect functional hypnosis to be something like that. What's shown in films is for entertainment and as far as I'm concerned fictional.

EDIT:

bamccaig said:

I think it's a mind game to exploit the weak minded among us for personal gain.

Oh yes, I'm sure a lot of "hypnotists" are con-men, pure and simple.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

BBL, yes it's real, watch Mythbusters or something.

Yeah, I trust everything on TV. >:(

I'm just doing my usual thing and trying to offend people.

The lack of coherence in your post offended me. >:(

A hypnotist once put me under a spell and told me hypnosis wasn't real, so I don't believe in it. >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Evert said:

What I do know is that it's possible for the mind to enter a dissociative state

There have been a few times where I was scared or whatever and it seemed to me I closed my eyes (blackness during the couple of seconds of whatever) but afterward it seemed obvious I was responding to what I was seeing. For example, there have been two or three times driving cab where an accident was occurring right in front of me, and I seemed to close my eyes, but afterwards the passengers said I drove through some tiny gap or whatever to avoid it. Also a few times getting in fights, upon "opening my eyes" because the blows stopped coming, the other guy would be laying on the ground. I did feel my arms twitch (hitting back).

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

My personal favorite is Dr. Milton Erickson, if you can find books by him. I learned enough from him (not accounting for Psychology classes, hypnotherapy training, and even technical NLP classes), since most of his books are simply transcripts of him talking. If you can get the audio segments for it as well, those really help, since you can hear how he paces his words either to the classroom or to the test subjects who agreed to let him record their sessions.

Hypnosis is nothing like TV depicts, so you can get that out immediately. NLP (Neuro linguistic programming) is a way to gently suggest to someone certain points that you want to get across. You want to study up on this a lot, since you can inadvertently make suggestions that either result in "fake" memories, or give you the opposite effect of what you were aiming for.

That being said, even if you are only semi-interested in pursuing hypnosis (or hypnotherapy), you will learn a lot about it. I've been hypnotizing people for entertainment since I was around 15, and for therapy (stop smoking, less desire to eat for help with weight loss, general relaxation techniques) since I was 18. You get pretty comfortable about instinctively knowing who is more or less susceptible to hypnotic suggestibility, but that's more of an aside.

Now, are you looking more for the "ha-ha" hypnosis that a stage hypnotist performs, or more of the medical/therapeutic aspects of it?

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

OnlineCop said:

knowing who is more or less susceptible to hypnotic suggestibility

I think you mean those more or less inclined to indulge your imagined hypnotic skills. ;)

People really need to stop pretending that they are hypnotised so that they stop fooling hypnotists into believing that they can actually hypnotise people.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

So what happens if two hypnotists go after each other? Will they ever wake up? ???

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I've never been hypnotized, or even attempted to be so, so I can't formulate an firm stance on the matter.

What I can say with absolute confidence is that your subconscious is a tricky beast to nail down, as it controls more things about your overall body than just what your mind is thinking, but it can be influenced. For example, I've had excellent success using autosuggestion to dictate the potential content of my dreams each night.

Interacting with your subconscious via lucid dreaming is a heavy subject, so I'll just stop there and say... hypnosis? Hmmm... probably not as you picture it.

So what happens if two hypnotists go after each other? Will they ever wake up?

{"name":"therapist.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a3f5235254e367d440b3105971edcbc.jpg","w":400,"h":214,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a3f5235254e367d440b3105971edcbc"}therapist.jpg

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Wow, someone else here knows who Milton Erickson is. :o I'm a Dave Elman man myself ...

Fun stats about therapies from some study by American Health Magazine:

• Psychoanalysis: 38% improvement after 600 sessions

• Behavioral Therapy: 72% improvement after 22 sessions

• Hypnotherapy: 93% success after 6 sessions

So, yeah. Totally not a real thing. BTW, I'm formally trained in therapy, but my real focus is on street/impromptu hypnosis.

My best successful post-hypnotic suggestion so far was on my buddy's wife; anytime you waved your hand in front of her face and told her to do/think something, she would a) accept the thought as her own, b) have amnesia for you saying it, c) repeat it back and d) go do it. So ... essentially, made her susceptible to Jedi mind tricks. I didn't do that until I'd been doing simple phenomenon for like an hour and a half so she was super-deep, but it worked awesome; she was basically our servant for the evening and had no recollection anything was amiss the next day. My buddy wanted me to leave it in there but I'm not that mean. ;D

Yeah, I trust everything on TV. >:(

The people stupid enough to not believe in hypnosis probably do. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I bet your buddy and his wife are having a good laugh at your expense. ;)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

And I bet you're not the only one to think that. I also did some therapy stuff with her that had longer-lasting implications, and I know what signs to look for that signal legitimate altered states, so I had lots of evidence it was legitimate. But honestly, if people want to go on thinking it's all made up, or thinking that your own personal idea of what it is reflects reality, makes my work all the easier. Yes, yes, it's not real, nothing we do affects you, go about your business, citizen ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I shall go about my business as a citizen and you as yours, Master Jedi. :P

I wish you good luck in amassing an army of mentally enslaved minions in your conquest for world domination.

[edit] That was a bit harsh, I will concede. In reality I'm not genuinely as sceptical of hypnotism as I make out.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

And I bet you're not the only one to think that. I also did some therapy stuff with her that had longer-lasting implications, and I know what signs to look for that signal legitimate altered states, so I had lots of evidence it was legitimate. But honestly, if people want to go on thinking it's all made up, or thinking that your own personal idea of what it is reflects reality, makes my work all the easier. Yes, yes, it's not real, nothing we do affects you, go about your business, citizen ...

Could you make my social phobia and "core beliefs" go away? ;D I would appreciate that very much.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: