Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » MMO Ideas

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MMO Ideas
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I might be able to do some really simple programming things, but I wouldn't count on it. I'll playtest the game, though. And I've already mentioned that I'll help with story. Anything else that a programming noob like me could help with?

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

@ type5568 True, as i said before. But i just had this thought: Wouldn't players be more interested in a slightly skewed game? Like, there are two main kingdoms, and one is of considerable size, and the other is not. It would be enticing for players to join either side then. Because joining the smaller kingdom could give you the glory of taking down the larger, and joining the larger would give you a large back-up. But the resources and item strengths should stay equal.

Ok, what the heck?! I can't log on!!

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Do you want to force people to join a kindom? Some are going to freelance.. Too bad, not a new idea, anywyas. (Stalker)

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

Yea, u will HAVE to have a nationality.

I think players should be able to create their own, too. But have it cost a lot of money and resources.

BTW, i got a few of these ideas from Carpe Diem the game.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Quote:

Until more kingdoms are made (Very pricy to do, tho) or one kingdom is destroyed.

Seismosaur, would be great if you read your posts, before actually posting them. Also, having one kingdom out of two destroyed, could mean pretty much, as an end of the game, which isn't something can happen to an MMO.. Until, after the victory(of one of the kingdoms) all begins over, with the players having their stuff, in the "new world".

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

Hmm... Mabey just have an autobalance so that a minimum of two Kingdoms remain?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Kingdoms should be organized by the players. One player (or a group, if you allow for it), will be the leader of each kingdom and they will have followers. Anyone can make a kingdom, but if you can't get any support then your kingdom will get smacked down pretty fast. Also, there has to be a way to destroy a kingdom, like if the king dies or surrenders then his kingdom is destroyed.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

That sounds pretty good. Kinda like clans. In fact, i think a freelancing/player kingdoms is a good idea! But what about history? A good backstory always makes for interesting gameplay, and since there are no default kingdoms, what would the backstory be? And what level of technological advancment would the game encompass?

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

So it would be like mega-guilds? You could have different options for leadership that would affect how decisions are reached- dictatorship, oligarchy, democracy, etc etc. A strong noble (part-ruler) with a strong following could conquer a democracy.

Is there magic? I hope so.

I vote no safe, minor combustion; it is possible to mine using kegs of explosives, but a gun will not work.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

So start coding. Allegro.cc will only waste your time.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

We're getting there, i hope :P.

We don't even really have a plan, ha.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Make up the plan as you go.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

what would the backstory be?

Players create the history of the game. At first there will be very little back-story, but in a couple of years the history books will be filled with events and actions that were carried out by players. And the players who did those things can say "Yep, I'm the HoppyBunny22". Discover a new continent? Blam, you get a page in the history book. Play a major role in conquering a kingdom? You get a paragraph. Getting into the history book would become a status symbol in the game. If you wanted to be really evil you could make it so only registered (read: paying) members were eligible. But personally I'd be against that.

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

Yeah, sounds great :).

Anyway, team members are Admins on the site as of now, and I'm going to start a discussion on Engine design/Usage. I'll post on Gamedev as well...

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Ah yes, important feature for a game where players make their own kingdoms.
You should be able to be a member of several collections of players. In ordinary MMOs you have the party, the guild and the side you've joined.

On the lowest level you have the party, a temporary gathering for a specific purpose. In gameplay joining a party means you have a separate channel for discussion and possibly shared experience.

Next level is the guild which is composed of people who hold the same long term goals. Like organised crime, a mining organisation, a trade guild etc... These groups would need a forum more than a chat. They could have a chat but it'd be used mostly for offtopic or when important issues are discussed rapidly among online players. But I think in a guild many players wont be online at the same times so a forum should be there to make sure everyone in the guild gets informed. I mean an ingame forum, the players shouldn't need to make their own forum on the net. Perhaps make a forum interface in the game and have the forum on a website so players don't have to log in to read the latest posts.

On a very high level you can join a kingdom/empire/nation. This would be quite a lot like a guild. I don't know what features may be needed to support forming a kingdom. The major difference between this game and others could simply be that you're allowed to be a member of several guilds at the same time. One player should be able to be a member of a country, several guilds and a party at the same time.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

team members are Admins on the site as of now

Does that include me? I'd go check, but I forgot my pass. :-[

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

Yeah, that includes you :P

Did you actualy forget, or is your password not working? I've noticed sometimes TikiWiki gets confused between the two, and so you need to prepend your password with your user name. For example, as I'm "admin" and my password is "pass", the password I would enter is "adminpass". If that don't work for you, I'll reset it ;)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Success! Thanks.

Quote:

Yeah, that includes you

I... I have authority. Must... resist... urge to misuse... ;D

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

As for pre-game history, how about a legendary polis (Atlantis?), or race (like the ancient race in Starcraft), or places (forests, cave, swamps, parallel dimensions...)? And have it so that discovering such a legendary thing rewards with some big thing. As an example, in Dransik (I think it's called Ashen Empires now), you had to kill the supervillian and have 1,000,000 gp to create a guild. And you probably also got some very valuable items and stuff.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

You don't actually have to code kingdoms and stuff into the game, you know. CantrII, which has been mentioned before, can do fine without any such thing. All social relationships are defined by the players, as well as location names and laws.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Just to give you some ideas for epic gameplay, look at Dwarf Fortress: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ It does not look very nice, in fact, it's difficult to get into the game. But I must say that I have never seen a game with comparable scope and detail, neither commercial nor free games.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Dustin, are you offering to build up a MMORPG on fly?

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

It's been a long Monday... sorry to ask the dreaded question, but it's for your own good:
Do you have artists in the team ? You know, the group of people who will draw a few graphics...let's say: as many tiles and sprites as what's in Diablo2.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Start with programmers art. I wouldn't mind playing this game even if it was ugly as hell and objects as billboards. That's how unique this game is, I play CantrII because it's an experience for something other than my eyes.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Cantr is definitely not something one plays for its eye-candy. But still definitely worth playing, and probably more RPG-y than most other computer RPGs.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Go to: