Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » MMO Ideas

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MMO Ideas
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

And in the hard to reach areas are very valuable resources that you need to make that Shiny +5 armor. :D

count
Member #5,401
January 2005

Quote:

And in the hard to reach areas are very valuable resources that you need to make that Shiny +5 armor.

xx.x.x..x..x..x..xxxxxx
x.....x.x...x..xxxxxxxx
xxxx...xxxxxx    .    x
x   .   . xx   .      x
x  .   .  xx .    .   x
x    .    xxx         x
xxx...xxx..xxxxx   .  x
x.x..x.xxx.xx..xx     x
x....x.x.xx..xxx  .   x

fixed ;D

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Or even without the resources, in the harder passable area, hiding would be more coefficient.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

I think that if this game was created, it should have some interesting features like: A ridiculusly large map, and when a player discovers something interesting, he/she can name it. Also, in-game, player-made maps would be cool, too.
I would also think that players would appreciate ruined cities, a good storyline (Similar to dragon quest, but with multiplayer), and, of course, the ridiculusly large map :)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

[qoute]when a player discovers something interesting, he/she can name it.
</quote>

The problem with that is then every other rock would be named "Dick Mountain".

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

I think this is a great idea. I'm also more than willing to help out.

Just a few thoughts, though:
-Naming would be nice, however instead of this, why not let users put labels on their maps?
-Mapping, I guess, would be done by a toggle on/off skill that has some disadvantages. I.e, reduces player speed or something.
-Finite ammount of resources would be pretty much a requirement, to stop new players from becomming useless when confronted with older, richer ones.
-Why not get a teach skill, that allows players to pass over skills/'blueprints' to other players?
-Have a kind of "extreme" resource avaliability... I.e, in the North, solid ice/rock, East, jungle, south, desert, West, rolling hills. This way, then they start, players can pick (roughly) which side they "land" on, and thus pick up skills/blueprints for this area, as to facilitate their nomadic nature?

Well, anyway, let's start to get some ideas together, yah? I've still got that webspace to turn over, if you need it ;)

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

Well, anyway, let's start to get some ideas together, yah? I've still got that webspace to turn over, if you need it ;)

Yeah, let's get going with this. I already have a simple 2-step program covering the next 20 years.

• Collect ideas (5y)

• Make the game (15y)

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

If you want to do finite resources, remember it has been tried before and did not go well. Someone will hog all the wool in the world forcing you to inject more of that resource.

It think you should have decay of everything, no matter how you use it or store it things should gradually become worse until it disintegrates. You should also be able to repair stuff, but at least one person can not repair infinite amounts of objects.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

Yes, a decay would work, and instead of re-sawning trees, the players have to plant trees they cut down.

So we need to answer a few more questions:

1.) What engine will the game use? Or will we make our own?

2.) What language? (Java, or C++)

3.) What will be a basic story for thew game?

4.) How much player-control will this game have?

Hans Spirit
Member #8,650
May 2007

1) Is there an existing engine that covers all needs? I guess not, so probably we would make our own.

2) I always prefer compilable language for games.

3) That's the easiest part.

4) I think the idea of the game is to be totally controlled by players, and only monitored by game masters.

My Project:
Shining Legends:
http://members.allegro.cc/HansSpirit

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I guess the game will be outdoors only, wide landscapes with objects sprinkled everywhere.
So good support for landscapes with level of detail if you want to see far.
It needs a quadtree.
Animated and static objects, what model format and how to export/convert?
Use OpenLayer? Easy 2D, (gui?) and input while building the 3D from scratch.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

Ok, so we'll have to write our own engine...

So C++ should be a good language then?

Ok, the players control most everything, and GMs moniter.

As for landscape, should we focus on detail, or sheer size?

also

We'll need some more stuff:

Graphic artists

Engine programmers

and

A server to run the game from.

Also, should the game be moddable? Or should we just add more stuff to the main map as the players discover more?

Wow, i like this game already! :D

EDIT:

This should get organized quickly. I love the idea, and would love to contribute in any way i can.

I am a fairly experienced C++ programmer, and a good 3-D modeler. I can also make fonts :).

Oh, and i know how to setup websites quickly!

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

Jolt.co.uk has been known to sponsper Indie MMO's in the past, could be a long road though unless we find an alternative - I'm willing to chip in a little $ if it means getting a server.

For now, why don't we just do local servers? Just keep both executables in a repository (CVS/Superversion/Subversion), so that when downloaded, we can run it through the loopback, so that you just run the server on your own PC?

Engine, yeah, better do our own. Either that or use a developed, widely-used Engine, such as Ogre, and fork it for networking/whatever else we want.

Just a few more thoughts of mine:
Why not dynamically resize the map when we get x ammount of new players? Just find an empty region and splice in a new mountain/field/glacier/valley suitable to the region.
-Yeah, o.k, Finite resources was a little silly. Decay sounds much bettter ;)

Anyway,alot of talent can be found on gamedev.net, once we have a project name, and a more presentable way of showing information, I can make a post there to get us started.

But, is this going to be freeware (difficult to do), subscription, or a combination of both?

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

I dunno. A subscription would be good to pay for a server, but then again, it DOES scare off SOME people. We could just be like runescape, and have both basic and members. Or be more original. But i definatley think we should keep it free as long as possible.

Also, are we going to start planning the actual game, and organizing a team?

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

Yeah, sure give me a second and I'll set up a Wiki for you on project.refectorium.id.au/wiki/ I'll start organising who/what we need, and let you do some editing of your own.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

Cool.

I just wrote this list of what we would need:

Game engine programmers (Specialized, preffered)

The programmers who will do other things with the engine (Vacuus, Seismosaur)

3D modelers

2D artists

Music

Foley effects

Game Masters

Server maintainers

Webmasters (Seismosaur, Vacuus)

Level designers

Story writers (Neil Black)

People who coordinate the project

That's all i can think of for now.

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

I'll manage the web design, and coordinate the project, as well as program, but my experiences with Engine design is pretty limited ;) I think, once we get the thing going, many of the devs will gladly do some GM work, so that would help.

But, o.k, I'll add the articles now.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

I'm good with web design, some programming, and 3D modeling, as i said before. But how does this wiki software work? (I've only used Uncyclopedia, and Wikia). It looks weird, but clean. Ha.:D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I volunteer for story writing! It's my only game-related skill that I'm halfway decent at.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

Ok. Marks you onto the list

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

Will this have skills, fighting wise?

If so you will need skill and combat developers and balancers.

Seismosaur
Member #9,127
October 2007

Mabey, but that would go along with story and programming.

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

It's TikiWiki. I have only used older versions, so it's taking a little while to get set up. Anyway, just register, quick-edit a page, and then do what ever to create a new article. ;) Right now I'm doing "Positions" page, and will add names as nessescary. Ricky, I haven't heard anythin from you on this yet, I'm guessing you'll want to head this thing up?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I think, (actually quite sure) that you are going to need someone, to help you balance the game, and giving up some ideas, even that everybody can do that, I'm quite an experienced MMO player, and I love computer games :) (And am ready to volunteer) Also I know C++, but obviously, there are others here, with a lot more experience at C++, so my skill isn't going to be needed here, probably.

Also, I would love to know, are we planning to do some MMO, like a lot of others out there, or something completely unique, that can't be compared to Modern popular MMOs. Out of ideas given here, it's not obvious.

And, by the way

Quote:

People who coordinate the project

I wonder, what kind of people, and skills are required for this work? In any case, I'm ready to volunteer. :)

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

Well, yeah, Wiki fixed up a little - looking o.k for a hack job. We've got forums, Articles, image galleries, file uploads, webmail, etc... http://project.refectorium.id.au/wiki/

But, yeah, thanks typo568. I'll add a beta testers thingo and put you there, feel free to add yourself to Programming if you'd like.

Go to: