Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » MMO Ideas

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MMO Ideas
Hans Spirit
Member #8,650
May 2007

Ok, where does Rick Piller goes in? hahahhahahahahaha ;D This is getting out of hand.

My Project:
Shining Legends:
http://members.allegro.cc/HansSpirit

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Quote:

Cantr feature of the day: You can hunt Gorillas with a dungfork.

You can also attack a bear with a bone knife, or even your bare fists, and survive it without a scratch. ;D

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Is Cantr SO interesting? I mean, if its really that good, im going to play it.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Just try it and see if it works for you. It's slow, though, so you won't hit intense action on day 1, and sometimes an in-game conversation takes a week or more in RL.
Anyway, it's free, and it doesn't take a lot of your time, so might as well try...

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Im reading the Wiki. Seems to be pretty good. ( I like slow-text based MMORPG's ) Seems like you really can do anything. Cant wait for account approval!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Is wiki one of them? :o link?

Ricky Piller
Member #1,232
April 2001

All I can say is wow. :) OK so can someone summarize where we are with this? I wouldn't mind somehow being part of it after all.

OK, I'm going to go after the language feature someone mentioned. I like the idea that different villages will have different languages (in-game made up languages). When a person types and the other person doesn't speak the languages, it comes up all scrambled. As their language skill improves with that language less letters/words are scrambled and start to make sense.

So basically if I'm from village A and you are from village A when we type to each other it shows up as normal english(read local rl language). When I try to talk to a player from village B it just comes up like "asdfyl llyalkfs ulauyl". Somehow as they learn village A's language it starts to come together "Hi, weulyme tu vileg A" With this they don't have to master the language to understand it, just get enough to be able to figure it out. Of course if they really wanted to they could become an expert at it and act as translators for others. Eventually it would end up being "Hi, welcome to village A". THe learning curve would be high and take some great time, so as to make people who spend the time to learn it a commodity to others.

Also, I think a limited resources is a good idea, but has to be done correctly. Firstly, there has to be a ton of it. Secondly, there has to be a way for more to be created, but only if done so by the user. ie. planting trees. If everyone cuts all the tress (a near impossible feat in my mind) and they don't plant any trees, then the tress will eventually die off. Nature itself would plant it's own trees also, but if the cutting downs is faster than nature can plant for an extended time period, then it will happen.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Well, separating people by language is interesting. But doing it as a game mechanic...
In Cantr you create characters in the language of your choice and that character has to learn languages ingame. Even if you as player understand english, your character is not allowed to speak english until learning the language has been roleplayed. You're not allowed to use out of character knowledge to give your characters an advantage.

As a Swede I have a great advantage over English characters, but when I meet Turks or other nationalities I'm gonna have to learn the language myself. There's no game mechanics that translates for me. I tried to learn some Turkish from an ingame note when I met one of them. It was hard just to pussle words together and I had no idea of correct grammar. But it was an interesting conversation and brought a great challenge to the game.

Runesabre
Member #7,573
August 2006

Separating players by languages is an interesting idea if you are content with a small, hardcore hobby MMO. If you intend to make money from this MMO, you're significantly limiting your subscriber base from the get-go.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Quote:

Separating players by languages is an interesting idea

why not make a simple translator

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Vacuus
Member #9,081
September 2007

Well, hi again...

I've had some health issues recently, so haven't had much of a chance to get this MUD library rollin. Right now, I'm looking at finishing my compartmentised, Entity-based Engine (Dubbed Neodymium), after which I'll right some of the components for a Text-based game. Could still use some help on the networking side, though.

So, uh, Rick Piller, where'd you want to fit in? :P

Go to: