This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MMO Ideas
count
Member #5,401
January 2005

I'm not. Because

Quote:

the majority of user made maps will be junk

I really like the navigation map idea though.
I'm not sure about the streets that appear automatically just by walking over the same place... this should be a thing the user should actively be able to do.
But not sure what the reward for building a road would be.. Maybe you would loose less food and water when walking on a road then walking on grass/sand/etc

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

The way I see it, the mere presence of other human players would help:
1) even if nobody's actively securing the area, roaming monsters are as likely to attack other players instead of you :)
2a) with roads, it's easy (faster) to cross a populated area - and get out of it. Then you're out in the wild and discovery is slower.
2b) If a whole group is travelling together, they will build a road while they walk : people lagging behind will catch up, and the whole group's average speed will be higher than normal.

I'm thinking very much of Schiffbruch (Shipwreck) with these survival/exploration ideas. However in Schiffbruch the player can modify the environment a lot, and quite permanently (plant seeds, build tents, etc), it won't be as good in a MMO where it would be too easy/useful to parasit or sabotage other people's terrain and buildings.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Tim Buckley of Ctrl-Alt-Del had some neat ideas about this once. One thought he had which really appealed to me was how you wanted your character to "level". In the traditional sense like WoW would be one obvious path, the only difference being you would beef up as you leveled. A 70 Warrior and a 10 Warrior should be distinguishable from each other in their skivvies; the former should be much better built. You should be able to know a 70 just by looking at him, not his number.

A second path could be a crafter. You can already do this to a certain extent in WoW, but there should be some option to be a merchant and producer, with a market in the game to be able to sell and make profit through. Higher levels would mean more skill in craftmanship and product, and again, you should be able to tell a high level by looking at them, be it their general attire or a high quality belt/cape/weapon made for show.

Third path could be political. Gain reputation and be able to influence world matters. This might seem too powerful unless there were some way for the wealthy merchant to fund an opposition, and of course the followers of the first path could just raise arms and try to kill you. :) I would love for the world to be conquerable; have major cities designed to withstand an attack honestly but not be invincible (one may get taken over a month for example; it would be a big deal), to have rulers that didn't respawn. This would have to be overseen by GM's who could keep the flow of power from being too unbalanced - not much fun when your race and faction gets overthrown and you never leave your cave or forest - but it would be mad fun to say you were part of the army that threw down the mighty city of such-and-such in the legendary battle of this-and-that. ;D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

t won't be as good in a MMO where it would be too easy/useful to parasit or sabotage other people's terrain and buildings.

Have people build inside walled towns. If someone starts breaking people's stuff then the leadership of the town can throw him out, meaning the gates won't open for him. of course, the walls could be torn down by an attacking army, but they would keep a single person out.

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

This could cause problems...imagine ten guilds banding together and conquering the world. Pay the tax or die.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Well, then ten other guilds ban together and fight back. Also:

23yrold3yrold said:

overseen by GM's

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I would like to keep GM's out of it. I say let things get unbalanced and when the discontent with the rulers is great enough the players should be able to revolt and overthrow the rulers by outsmarting them. It should be possible to assassinate people, such acts would not require massive armies, only a small dedicated group.

As for roads, I think people should build them manually by choosing where to place the road and using sand and stone as resources. A proper road doesn't just form, all you get from people walking the same path is a muddy mess or stomped dirt.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

OH MY GOD!!! Want this game NOW! Why are you talking about it and not making it?!!! ME WANTS IT!

</excitement>

Quote:

I would like to keep GM's out of it. I say let things get unbalanced and when the discontent with the rulers is great enough the players should be able to revolt and overthrow the rulers by outsmarting them. It should be possible to assassinate people, such acts would not require massive armies, only a small dedicated group.

This is GREAT. I mean, its like putting more tension on a string. More, more more and it breaks. Then all hell breaks loose. And then the process begins all over again. As I said, this game, NOW!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I want to play it a year ago, so that by now I'd be an experienced player who knew what he was doing and could be really enjoying the game.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Trezker said:

As for roads, I think people should build them manually by choosing where to place the road and using sand and stone as resources. A proper road doesn't just form, all you get from people walking the same path is a muddy mess or stomped dirt.

If you're a sedentary civilization, with horses and carts, yes.
But you won't get any exploration gameplay in such universe. I was thinking more of a pre-wheel, nomadic or semi-nomadic way of life with gathering and hunting, so you set camp for a moment, then pack up and move on. (especially if you're bothered by PKs or parasites)
My suggestion only referred to the trails / tracks in a forest, jungle or desert, making a visible path crossing bushes, and where branches and treacherous rocks have been pushed aside.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Audric:
Yeah that sounds better than all the road crap i came up with. But still, you'd have a few sedentary communities if you had things like mines, good farmland, etc. People would congregate around these natural resources and it would add to the gameplay to let them build up towns.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Quote:

OH MY GOD!!! Want this game NOW! Why are you talking about it and not making it?!!! ME WANTS IT!

Well, Cantr II does have most of that, though it's almost completely text-based, and extremely slow.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Someone please make this game. Cantr II sounded good until I saw "text-based" and "slow".

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Hehe, let's do it. Shawn Hargreaves shall lead us to glory.

Making such a game, wouldn't too easy though. As all following is a must..

Advertising.
Ideas, and balancing..
Programming/Modeling.
Bandwidth.
Hardware.

I suppose this are the main parts. #2, is the most difficult to accomplish, in my opinion. There are 3d MMORPGs, already made. Quite a lot. 70% of the people playing them, consider themselves addicted to their games(Sorry no source, but you can google it). Making the game so free, as the topic starter intended would make it terribly addictive. I see in the game something like this:

:: The Game ::

You are, in some virgin world. Without roads nor bridges. Just nature, let's say something had happened to the monkey's DNA and it's children appeared to be humans. Or it is all a giant alien experiment(second better I believe).

The game, can't be a full emulation of material world(we'll look at the computers being made at 2107 though) so, players will have basic skills(and will learn new of course) probably, players will choose their skills for the beginning. With their skills, they will hunt, fight(the only thing the developers don't need to think about- the players will fight) craft(bows, clothes, bags, tents..). Having a different set of skills will force players to stick together. Also it's better to protect themselves from other players, or vice versa- raid.

I think, the world should get developed, from fighting with sticks .. sticks with stones on the edge .. bows .. swords. Not more, so that one with just a stick, would remain human.

Also, if we want realism in our game, a user must not be able just to log off, and disappear. As he logs off, his character would continue to function(do the basics, following a program, sleeping, eating), but with a risk to be found & robbed or even killed. Thus another question appears: How should the developer deal with the death. In a realistic game, it can't be something simple. The penalty must be hard. A player would reappear again, kind of "reborn". With flags(in programming meaning), on certain skills, thus re-achieving them after some time. The player, should still be recognizable by the others(his name remains). All currency would obviously be lost. But, if you are in some kind of a camp, for a long duration, and the members know you, they can save the goods for you.. if they are willing to(probably your friends from real life?).

:: The End ::

I have a lot to add/expand. These ideas wasn't generated totally on the fly, so I believe some parts of this could really work, but it's not a "problem" that can be solved in a matter of minutes(nor even half an hour(edit: 45min)).

In addition to all the listed "things" to be solved(advertising, programming..) a terrible fact remains. This genre of games is addictive, if a game of the kind described by me will be made playable, it can replace the real life.

I really hope somebody has read this, and would like to see feedback.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

The Game

Sorry, that name's already taken. ;D

{quote]As he logs off, his character would continue to function(do the basics, following a program, sleeping, eating), but with a risk to be found & robbed or even killed.
</quote>

There is the possibility of having too much realism. It can take away from the fun.

Quote:

But, if you are in some kind of a camp, for a long duration, and the members know you, they can save the goods for you

You could also have a strongbox in your house where you could keep a few bare essentials.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

The ideas are limitless, and probably even harder then generating them, would be choosing suitable ones. The games with limited realism, and actually focusing on pure combat(I've nothing against that in ::TG:: also) are Linage, Ultima Online(not sure), WoW and a lot of others.. Without the realism, almost. Just the most important parts, to make the combat interesting. (i.e. dying not good)

:: The Game :: - abstract..

I'll late to school, and all day long think about MMO ideas, rather then computer graphics & C++ -_-. (Unfortunately today three lessons of these(and I love them)).

Edit:

Quote:

Sorry, that name's already taken. ;D

Oh, what a .... up.

Edit1:
Yes, I think it's a good idea, new at least(well, I've never seen in any previous game). The player, is playing always. While offline, being controlled by the AI, based on the player's play style and following a certain program. When you log in, you might be surprised. Of course.. A dozen of disadvantages also exist.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Quote:

There are 3d MMORPGs, already made. Quite a lot.

Orly? I haven't seen any... I've only seen MMOGFG (GrindFest)

This would be the first true 3D MMORPG AFAIK.

Oh, someone judged Cantr for being textbased and slow. The text is arranged in menus so it's not textbased as in a chatlike interface only. As for slow, when you play 15 characters simultaneously and stuff happens on all of them, you'll be begging for more minutes.

You don't have to be logged in for your Cantr chars to keep working, you only have to check in on the a few times now and then, it's almost like a forum.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Sounds like Progress Quest then.

I really need to log onto that more often ....

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Well, the main differences is that Cantr is interactive. You can communicate with other chars and choose what to do and where to go. You even make up your own quests/religions/state of mind for your characters.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Quote:

Oh, someone judged Cantr for being textbased and slow. The text is arranged in menus so it's not textbased as in a chatlike interface only. As for slow, when you play 15 characters simultaneously and stuff happens on all of them, you'll be begging for more minutes.

You don't have to be logged in for your Cantr chars to keep working, you only have to check in on the a few times now and then, it's almost like a forum.

That was my (pleasant) impression, too.
The "slowness" (or "being slow-paced" as the Cantr team puts it), needs some getting used to, but it's definitely an advantage, since you can interact with other players regardless of when they log in - so there are very few inactive characters. And since a character can often be left on his own for quite a while, the game fits nicely in crowded schedules...

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Ricky Piller
Member #1,232
April 2001

OK, so I was thinking of how things can be discovered and created and having that knowledge sharable.

1) Language is already developed
2) There is an ability everyone has called Experiment
3) When you experiment, you supply different materials to experiment with
4) Once you get the right combination of materials, things are invented and you now know how to make them
5) If you wish to share your knowledge you can write it on a scroll and others can consume the scroll and now they know it, without having to experiment.
6) Experimenting consumes the resources you are using

An example of this may be a spear.

Experimenting with a type of rock, stick, and rope would produce a spear. Once you experiment with that combo, you now know the mats to create a spear.

This could be done with raw materials to create other materials that are need for the final product. ie. smelt metals to create a sword, which would need a anvil and hammer which again need certain mats to create.

The cool thing about this I think is that different things will be created in different tribes that are located in different areas and have access to different materials. So finding another tribe would most likely mean learning what kind of stuff they can make if they choose to share that knowledge.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Nice.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

After quite a short period of time, everyone will know everything. Maybe some other tribe member, can't learn how to do this, so that they would trade?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

That's the only problem I see with this idea. Eventually the world would be full and everything would be discovered.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Ricky, you're descriptions are so close to the images I've had for something like this (as someone said earlier, "we've all had this thought, differing slightly in how it would be presented").

There's nothing wrong with jotting ideas down and start arranging some thoughts into a bit more organized lists. Obviously, this would be a long project, so having it all documented would definitely come in handy as the project comes to life. For long projects and ideas I've had, I started up a wiki for myself so I can add to it whenever I have an idea, splitting it into sections of random brain babble to formatted, in-depth descriptions.

Once you get to a certain point, you take what you got and scale it down to only 10%, give it a name like "OverWorld". Then, make "OverWorld II" and then III and so on and so forth. Perhaps by the time you get to "Overworld X", it'll have everything you originally wrote in the wiki with a decent following of fans. ;)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Go to: