Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Bill Nye the Science Guy has reached Uber Sentience

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Bill Nye the Science Guy has reached Uber Sentience
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Looks like the liberals found out that the ORIGINAL Bill Nye (which is on Netflix) actually said, "Science tells us, there are two genders." Well, we can't have that!

So Netflix has censored the originals to line up with the new narrative.

Apparently, even history must be corrected under The New Directive lest people erroneously absorb Wrong Think.

video

PRAISE BE TO SOROS. I offer my history books up to be burned in
effigy, to please his holy name.

[edit] Live video from me:

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

That would depend on how a particular Ditto identifies as, wouldn't it? ;) Otherwise, you might as well ask "What gender are humans?"

Sexual reproduction appeared a few hundred million years ago, probably in a species of fish. If that didn't happen, we likely wouldn't even have sex or gender as a concept. And we wouldn't be here talking about it or anything else either, because sexual reproduction is what accelerated evolution to the point where it produced us after just a few billion years. It exists because it is an evolutionary advantage. Basically, sex as a concept comes from biology.

We are a social species. Many of our innate behavioral patterns and instincts are related to our sexual reproduction.

We are also the lifeform with the most culture on this planet. Some of that is concerned with ideas about sex and gender. The question of gender is a complex one for us humans.

Your gender is determined for you by genes and hormones. That goes for transsexuals too. As far as we know today, transsexuality occurs when something going awry with hormones that influence your brain while it is developing in the womb. Sex hormones will affect your behavior, whether you inject them, or they are produced by your humongous balls or your petite ovaries.

Your gender is part of your description too. If you look like a man, claiming that you are a woman is not the best idea. You can say that you feel like a woman, and want to be one, which is not quite the same.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Did anyone watch the whole thing?

I stopped it before I could understand why I had even started it.

it's COOL TO BE TRANS/AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. You're "brave". You're "courageous."

You misunderstand what's going on here. We can all agree that it's healthy to express oneself and be comfortable with who you are and how you feel. That can be very difficult when what you want to express is very contrary to what everyone around you perceives as "normal". When people call others of a particular group names and use platforms like this thread to make fun of them and use them to advance your political ideals, it creates a very strong resistance to that expression. That is why it is considered "brave" or "courageous" to express that you are trans, bi, gay, etc. It's a part of yourself that is different which others cannot see, and can make a person very vulnerable. That's why it is brave -- they don't know what to expect, and they have a lot of fear around it in the beginning, but they express themselves despite that.

I have trans-gendered family members. I grew up with my cousin Kimberly, who was older than I was and had always been a "tom boy" growing up. Then she came out as lesbian, and years later came out as trans-gendered, underwent sex change therapy, and is now much happier as a man.

The idea that it is a "mental illness" is not entirely out of line, but those who use that argument are normally trying to make it seem like they are inferior or flawed, kind of like a bully.

As torhu mentioned, the biological mechanisms of how this comes about are not entirely mysterious. For example, a female fetus of a mother who experiences prolonged spikes of adrenaline throughout her pregnancy are known to express more male traits and have modified brain development that is more akin to that of a male. When that fetus grows up and goes to college, she may be more comfortable identifying as a male, because the disconnect from other women is so wide and she's connected with other genders differently than other women normally do.

These ideas are just generally unpopular among the religious, who have long standing traditional values and rules regarding gender roles, which aren't really applicable any longer.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I attended a showing of Shakespeare's play "As You Like It" yesterday. Even Shakespeare knew gender roles were bunk. He's more understanding than you lot and he's been dead 400 years. ;D

torhu said:

Your gender is determined for you by genes and hormones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction

Sex and gender are not the same word when used in the context of gender identity. Stop using them as such.

When I use the word gender in threads like this, it's not a synonym for sex. I'm referring to the social roles most often assigned to specific sexes. Thus, gender non-conforming would be someone who simply doesn't adhere to the social roles assigned to one's sex. For example, something as simple as a stay-at-home father would be subverting typical Western gender roles.

It's like states of matter. For your everyday usage, three states of matter are more than good enough--but you wouldn't use that elementary concept when studying or discussing more complex physics.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Sex and gender are not the same word. Stop using them as such.

Gender and sex is the same concept originally, and usually still is. Please read what I wrote with that in mind. I was not talking about definitions, but about realities.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I'm not using sex and gender as synonyms.

torhu said:

I was not talking about definitions, but about realities.

What does that even mean? "Realities?"

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I know, but that doesn't matter in the context of what I wrote.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

And what you replied doesn't matter in the context of what I wrote.

---
they / she

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

So really, what we're arguing here is semantics?

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

This always seems to happen, doesn't it?

A little charitable interpretation on both sides would go a long way. :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

A little charitable interpretation on both sides would go a long way.

Why? If I were to use the word peruse in the sense of "thoroughly reading a work" (the classical definition) and someone replies to me as if I had used peruse to mean "skim a work" (the informal definition), should I bother to humor their misinterpretation of my post? Especially if they knew what I meant (the classical definition) but for some bizarre reason felt the need to use the informal definition?

---
they / she

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Well perhaps you should start attaching a video of your response so that the complexities of it's meaning is more thoroughly conveyed through the use of intonation and inflection. As far as we all know you're just a part of the machine! Down with skynet!

video

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Similarly related...

Dear White People

I just watched the first episode and have to ask what is wrong with the show? Have you watched it, Chris Katko?

---
they / she

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Aaron, so basically you're saying "He started it!"?

The charitable interpretation of my post is: I haven't looked closely and don't know who started it, and just wanted to be egalitarian[1] in the way I addressed it (that's why "on both sides" is in there). If you're blameless then you don't need to worry. If you're not, then... being charitable will make friends and influence people :)

Don't mind me, I'm just rambling now. I should be sleeping.

References

1. which you can charitably interpret as 'feminist'? OK now I'm just trolling ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Looks like the liberals found out that the ORIGINAL Bill Nye (which is on Netflix) actually said, "Science tells us, there are two genders." Well, we can't have that!

So Netflix has censored the originals to line up with the new narrative.

Ahaha, so that's why everyone's posting that video clip?! That is hilarious. I vow to no longer support Netflix by pirating their exclusive shows.

Edit: I made it 53 seconds into the first post's video before the forces between my palm and face resulted in nuclear fusion.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

(One definition of) what "gender" means is clearly socially created. I do not wear a dress because I identify as a man and that's what role I play in society. My junk and chromosomes have nothing to do with not wearing a dress! That's why we have the concept of "gender". But it also sometimes means "sex". The only real reason is because it can be unclear if you're talking about the verb or I guess people are too uncomfortable saying "sex". It's really not a big deal even if you disagree with some things people think about gender but these videos are strange and unsettling!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

torhu said:

Sexual reproduction appeared a few hundred million years ago, probably in a species of fish. If that didn't happen, we likely wouldn't even have sex or gender as a concept. And we wouldn't be here talking about it or anything else either, because sexual reproduction is what accelerated evolution to the point where it produced us after just a few billion years. It exists because it is an evolutionary advantage. Basically, sex as a concept comes from biology.

We are a social species. Many of our innate behavioral patterns and instincts are related to our sexual reproduction.

We are also the lifeform with the most culture on this planet. Some of that is concerned with ideas about sex and gender. The question of gender is a complex one for us humans.

Your gender is determined for you by genes and hormones. That goes for transsexuals too. As far as we know today, transsexuality occurs when something going awry with hormones that influence your brain while it is developing in the womb. Sex hormones will affect your behavior, whether you inject them, or they are produced by your humongous balls or your petite ovaries.

Your gender is part of your description too. If you look like a man, claiming that you are a woman is not the best idea. You can say that you feel like a woman, and want to be one, which is not quite the same.

I bet if that one instance of gender had been swapped for sex, Aaron probably would have agreed with this.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

LennyLen said:

I bet if that one instance of gender had been swapped for sex, Aaron probably would have agreed with this.

You are correct.

---
they / she

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Live video from me:

LMAO, that was awesome! ;D

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I just watched the first episode and have to ask what is wrong with the show? Have you watched it, Chris Katko?

If I created a show or movie called Dear Black People, what do you think would happen?

Quote:

LMAO, that was awesome! ;D

=D

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

You are correct.

You are lying, aren't you?

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

If I created a show or movie called Dear Black People, what do you think would happen?

I asked if you watched the show. Did you?

I've finished watching it and suspect you haven't. As far as I can tell, the only people who would take offense to the title are those the show is criticizing; in other words, it's ironic to be upset by the title.

"Dear Black People" implies blacks have any sort of power to systematically oppress whites, which is untrue (keep in mind the context here is the United States).

The most illuminating statistic I've come across about racial inequality come from wealth distribution. It's hard to explain, but I felt disgusted knowing how unequal our society is, especially along racial lines--I never realized how bad it was until I saw the data. Look for yourself: asset distribution & net worth by quintile Blacks are poorer than whites by a giant margin in every category.

Note: Our (brother and me) household wealth is in the lowest quintile and our household income is merely 50% above the federal poverty guidelines. I'm acutely aware whites can be poor too. :)

torhu said:

You are lying, aren't you?

I agree with you lot on a great many issues, but you'd never realize it because you're looking to paint me as a comical boogeyman. For example, I have stated numerous times men face issues (harsher criminal sentences, extreme stigmas of being a victim of sexual or domestic abuse, child custody and finances, etc), but it's either 1) ignored 2) grossly misinterpreted.

I expect nothing less from such angry people, though. It's as if you want to be perpetually angry and confrontational.

By the way, I think Bill Nye's new show is terrible, too! Each episode I (tried to) watch is garbage.

---
they / she

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

"Dear Black People" implies blacks have any sort of power to systematically oppress whites

I disagree. The meaning I infer from those three words is that somebody is about to discuss a supposed issue that's characteristic of black people in general, probably including some biased, racist sentiment. I'd tend to expect something similar from somebody of another race addressing "white people" this way. Your argument reminds of me a type of false claim I've heard that is along the lines of "when white people are the majority they can't be victims of racism". It has a similar quality to feminist propaganda bullsh*t like "women can't be sexist toward men because the only oppressors are men".

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Quote:

I disagree.

Did you know what the title is referring to? "Dear White People" is a radio show hosted by one of the characters that highlights racist occurrences in a mostly white ivy league college. With that in mind, how does "Dear Black People" work in such a setting?

Chris Katko's disagreement is the equivalent of criticizing the subject matter of a book by its cover.

raynebc said:

Your argument reminds of me a type of false claim I've heard that is along the lines of "when white people are the majority they can't be victims of racism".

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "Whites in America cannot be victims of systematic racial oppression." Why?

---
they / she

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

At this point I can't tell wether or not you're trolling

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

1   2   3   4 

Go to: