Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Easter Hack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Easter Hack
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@amarillion: I noticed that .io domains aren't made into links. I posted atom.io in one of my progress logs, but it wasn't made into a link.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

@eric: I'm using the urlize django tag to generate the links. If you prefix http: or https: then it should be recognized, even for less common TLDs.

The Easter hack logs are going really great. Keep it up everybody!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

WheeeeEeEeeeEeeEeeeeeEEe. I don't sign up for hacks because I don't have the time or motivation (or skills), but it's good to see the ones that can do them doing it. >:(

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

WheeeeEeEeeeEeeEeeeeeEEe.

I don't know whether to read that in an excited or sarcastic tone. I'll go with the latter. ;)

You don't need madskillz to join a hack. I see them as a way to earn some much-needed game-programming experience. Even if the end result isn't what you expected, you'll likely come out with more than you did going in. Give it a try sometime.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I've tried before. I typically don't make much progress and procrastinate instead. I think it's because I'm really not all that interested in making games. Truth is, I prefer to play them. Since I love writing software and playing games you'd think I could marry the ideas and especially love making games, but thus far it's just the opposite. I think since my graphical talents are severely lacking and I'm a rather visual person it cripples my ability to succeed at game development. I become blocked by the need for artistic resources for which I cannot make and development halts in pursuit of things that are more fun, like playing games and drinking beer! :)

It wasn't sarcasm though. It truly is exciting that a hack is going on (even as an observer it can be energizing). Also I'm drunk so there's that. :)

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

You should make a game about drinking beer. ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The thought occurred to me. :) I think I made a joke about creating a drinking game a few weeks back! But that leaves me out of my element because I'm more of a lone drinker myself (and I never needed any games to drink too fast). And again, art leaves me "high and dry". I can imagine a decent thing in my opinion, but creating it out of drawn assets? Not so easy.

In any case, it's worth pursuing. I really want to create a mobile app for the EXP points and a game is a good excuse. The app stores provide a convenient way to share it.

I just need my wimmins to motivate me! I tried proposing that she help me come up with a software idea [on any platform!] and I'll try to make it, but she couldn't have been any less interesting. :(

bambams shits all over the ambition of the hack thread.

I hope that doesn't deter anyone. :-X

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I think there are lots of interesting games you can do with very little graphics skills - Like for example box boy. And for the hack I'm now doing a text adventure with minimal graphics.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Is it over ? I couldn't even add a thing :-/

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

If you mean the competition, then - yep it's over!

I'm pretty happy with the participation given that it was a spur of the moment thing. Seven people registered and all posted on the logs. There weren't many drop-outs as such, but we did get only three uploads - I feel we can do a bit better than that. If the remaining four still want to upload something, let me know. I left the upload page open for a few hours more.

My personal goal was to be motivated to work on one of my games, and that certainly was a success.

How to proceed? It would take me some time to adapt the TINS site to the voting system that I proposed, and it doesn't seem all that worthwhile. So here is what I suggest we do instead.

1: Voting: All the participants can say who they think should be the winner here in this thread. For seven entrants I think I can easily tally the results manually without the need of a dedicated website. Don't vote for yourself. I will tally the results, announce them here, and put the results back on the TINS site for posterity. Quick reminder: you're supposed to vote on the logs (not the game per se) and you may decide for yourself which quality is most important.

2: Reviewing: For those who wish to get feedback, create a depot thread here on allegro.cc. I strongly encourage all other participants to give feedback in those threads.

(sidenote) I would consider opening the review system (not voting) of the TINS website if people really want me to, but at this moment I don't think it's really necessary. I'm ready to be convinced if you feel otherwise.

Finally, now that I got your attention - I'm considering doing a real TINS (with full TINS rules) somewhere around the September-October timeframe. How would you feel about that?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Don't vote for yourself.

Oh come on! >:( :P

Everyone did well, but I cast my vote for NunoMartinez; he posted often, included interesting screenshots, and frequently discussed some of the technology at work in his engine. I just liked his logs most overall.

By the way, I created a depot thread for Keebo's Quest. :D

EDIT:

Quote:

I'm considering doing a real TINS (with full TINS rules) somewhere around the September-October timeframe. How would you feel about that?

Sounds good to me!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I kind of didn't put much effort into my logs (except the last one :P), but the motivation was great to let me put in some work into a nice game of mine. Thanks Amarillion for hosting it.

It was tough to pick the best logger, as I liked them all in their own special ways. I'm going to go with Eric's, as there was a nice video to go along with it.

It'd be sweet to do a real TINS as well.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

C'mon Elias, Gull, Niuno we need your vote!
I want to keep my vote for last.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'm too busy still working on my entry so had no time to look at other entries yet :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Yes, but did you look at the logs?
You have to vote on the logs you know...

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

C'mon Elias, Gull, Niuno we need your vote!

Ups, sorry. Too busy latelly. I'll try this evening.

[edit]
How can I vote? ???

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Amarillion, I'm playing all the entries but can't vote from here :-/
I will, from home in a few hours.

{"name":"610857","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4b8457d955e301cc1c8bfca87672b9e.png","w":604,"h":285,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4b8457d955e301cc1c8bfca87672b9e"}610857

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Guys, read my comments!

First of all, it's not necessary to actually play the entries to vote.
Secondly, you vote by commenting here in this thread.

Read my previous comments carefully and all should become clear.

edit: @GullRaDriel, I'm not sure what that message means or how I can prevent that. What does it say if you go to https://tins.amarillion.org?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'm hereby voting for... amarillion. I enjoyed reading all the logs, but some went too much into coding details, some didn't have screenshots of the actual game - if I have to pick just one I think it is this one.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Woah, anyone can vote? I'm glad I checked this thread.

Each entry is rock solid, so I almost feel bad about choosing one. However, owing to the quality of its writing, I have no choice but to vote for amarillion's entry, BUN. Thank you for sharing it with the world.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Woah, anyone can vote? I'm glad I checked this thread.

Thanks for your kind words Gideon, but I was planning to only allow votes from the seven entrants. Now I have to read back my own comments to see if I accidentally said somewhere that anyone can vote???

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

My bad. I squeezed that in without reading the whole thread (in case there was a voting deadline).

This Hack kinda snuck up on me. I didn't even realize it was happening until it was too late.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Hello, i have problem in all week or more, and fail with Easter Hack. But same post all my changes here:

https://bitbucket.org/rmbeer/hardchangegame

Is very little. But is sufficient for give a little funny with new levels and graphics. The graphics have also in source code, but not have the correct import/export. If anyone want, i can also uploaded in the bitbucket such as this.

!^%@$* EDIT:

I suggest posting videos if the games have much changes. This is good for motivate more. :D

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Can't vote because I don't find out how.

>:(

Go to: