Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Easter Hack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Easter Hack
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey, hey, I'm just trying to graduate here... don't mind me... Besides, all I have are half finished hacks with a few transition screens. I never really get into coding the game anymore. I could work on an old SantaHack but I don't really have much time these days...

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Not that I wouldn't have some old things lying around that could get the actual gameplay in - about a year ago I went through them and ressurected them to the state one can actually compile them :) - but I fear that they'd need to be written from scratch and ported to a newer version of Allegro.

Unfortunatelly, all that is purely academical as I don't have time for this, although I'd very much like to join. While I'm not busy at work, I'm busy doing lectures, no time for hacking :(

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ok, so the list is now:

• Amarillion

• Mark Oates

• Eric Johnson

• elias

• GullRadriel

• Arvidsson

• Neil Roy

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I can probably find some time, and I do have a game in mind that I wanted to get back to at some point.

Where will the we be writing the logs?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

How about you Niunio?

I'm in. 8-)

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Maybe one can set up a quick copy of a speedhack website ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Maybe one can set up a quick copy of a speedhack website ?

From scratch, or is there already source code available from past hacks?

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I was originally planning to use allegro forum threads.

But I could make the TINS site available. As you know the logs are not advanced but they probably suffice. It's not going to take much to get it ready, we can ignore all the rules & voting related stuff.

So, allegro thread or TINS logs? Or is there another option?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm content with using the Allegro forum.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm content with using the Allegro forum.

^^ This is cool.

If I have a hack-a-thon backend ready in time, we could try that out.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I'm in

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

If I have a hack-a-thon backend ready in time, we could try that out.

I'd be content with that, too. :) Really, whatever is fine.

Are we allowed to brain storm ideas now, or is that cheating?

Also, @amarillion: I posted a comment on your blog the other day, but it's still awaiting approval. >:(

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Updating the list:

• Amarillion

• Mark Oates

• Eric Johnson

• elias

• GullRadriel

• Arvidsson

• Neil Roy

• Niunio

• Siegelord

• Dizzy egg.

Are we allowed to brain storm ideas now, or is that cheating?

I think it's fine. My idea was that like krampushack we have very loose rules. Everything goes, you'll only be voted on the logs you write during the competition.

Quote:

Also, @amarillion: I posted a comment on your blog the other day, but it's still awaiting approval. >:(

Thanks, that was quite an elaborate comment so I can understand you were anxious. I plan to post about once a week so I would have seen it quite soon anyway.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

So Easter Hack for sure starts on April 8th, yes? And how do we go about voting for progress logs? For example, in other hacks, the are various categories to vote on, and them an overall score is reached. Will progress logs be voted based on categories, too? Some categories could be scored based on humor, proper use of English ( ;) ), how interesting it is, etc. Just an idea.

My idea was that like krampushack we have very loose rules.

Loose is fine by me. I think I'll improve upon my TINS 2016 entry, Mori. ;D

Quote:

Thanks, that was quite an elaborate comment so I can understand you were anxious.

My angry face was posted in jest, by the way. ;) No worries about how long it takes to approve comments. I just figured I'd remind you in case you hadn't seen the comment yet. And please know that my comment was supposed to be educational / suggestive, not critiquing or bashing in any way.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I think it's fine. My idea was that like krampushack we have very loose rules. Everything goes, you'll only be voted on the logs you write during the competition.

Good, because if I HAVE to update an old project, I honest don't know if I have that much energy as my old stuff really sucks. ;)

As for logs, I am good at that! ;) I keep logs on all my games as I find that helps me a great deal. My Deluxe Pacman 1 game for example has a long log that goes back to something like... 1999 up to earlier this year and it is 159K in size. :)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

And for the date, is it still from 8 to 16 ?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

What about starting and ending time zones?

HopeMetal
Member #15,761
October 2014

If we're not required to make an improved version of something we've already made, then I think I will join too. It'll probably get me to finish something or at least make something actually playable.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Eric: times are generally in UTC when it's about a competition here. IIRC :-)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I'll probably pull out of this competition as my wife has been very ill lately and I have too much on my mind. Sorry. :-/

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

GullRaDriel: Okay, thanks. :)

Sorry to hear your wife is ill, Neil. I hope she gets better soon.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Aw Neil, my best thoughts for her and you, I join Eric in the hope.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Thanks.

---

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

All the best Neil.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Do our games have to be made with Allegro written in C/C++? I ask because Niunio recently shared allegro.js, a JavaScript library based on Allegro 4. I think it'd be really neat to make a browser game for a hack.

Go to: