Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Easter Hack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Easter Hack
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm almost thinking it would be easier to completely rewrite my game from scratch using better separated components and source tree.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare • AllegroFlare Docs • AllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Exactly my problem with many of them, they'd need an entire week of just refactoring the code and re-implementing stuff just to get to the point were they are now (or possibly even losing some features) :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

You'll have to find the balance between refactoring and adding features. My personal rule is to not spend more than 33% of the time on paying down technical debt, although it's not always easy to stick to that.

Eric, do keep in mind that this thing is going to be very loosely organized. More like krampushack than TINS.

For example, I could say the deadline is 12.00 AM UTC on April 16, but honestly I'm not really going to be bothered by an entry that is a few hours late.

Also, I don't think we need a lot of voting categories, just one vote for the overall quality of the log. And I'll let you decide what quality means: volume, entertainment value, or demonstration of hacking skill - whatever you think is most important.

And to confirm again: the dates are from 8 April thru 16 April. That gives you two weekends and a whole week to play with. I don't expect to be in full on speedhacking overdrive mode the entire time, I'll just find time whenever I can.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Eric, do keep in mind that this thing is going to be very loosely organized. More like krampushack than TINS.

Loosey-goosey then. Got it.

@Mark: You mentioned a hack-a-thon backend thing-a-mah-whats-it a week or so ago. Any word on its progress?

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I know it's a bit last minute but...

I changed my mind. I will open up the TINS website for running this competition.

Head over to tins.amarillion.org, register or log in, and then click "Join a competition"

Please do this right away, because then we'll have some time to fix any issues with forgotten passwords etc. before the start. PM me if you have any issues with the website.

(The reason for this change of heart is that I figured that it's not going to be so easy to use allegro threads for our purpose - either we use one big thread, in which case it will be confusing to get a good overview what someone wrote for voting - or we use several threads, but then you get problems with locking, intermingled replies etc. Also the TINS website will help with entry uploading and tracking votes)

At this time of writing, I haven't fixed the rules page yet to reflect the rules of Easter Hack. So please disregard the current rules page, in the coming days I will update it.

@Mark, if you were about to open up the allegroplanet competition engine then I apologize. We'll use allegroplanet next time around :)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

No time to ramp up AllegroPlanet for this, unfortunately :)

TINS website all the way!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I want participate! I have thought any ideas for this. Hope also have much time for this. :)

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I'm registered! Woohoo! 8-)

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

@RmBeer2 great, welcome! Have you found the way to the registration page yet? Go to http://tins.amarillion.org and click register, and after you've registered, click 'join a competition'

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Registered, so kind of you amarillion !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I joined! :D Thanks for setting this up, amarillion!

Edit
Considering that this is a very loose event, is it alright if I write my game using JavaScript/HTML5? Or do I have to use Allegro 5? I've really been itching to make a Web browser game. :P

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I've customized the rules page for Easter hack

It shouldn't have any surprises, but have a look anyway.

@Eric, this should also answer your question. I've added a rule to say that the use of Allegro is not compulsory. So yes, HTML5/JavaScript is fine.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

The rules look great, thanks. Best of luck to everyone when Easter Hack begins. :D

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I can't register, appear this: https://ptpb.pw/GKWC
And where i go to log in, appear that i have registered the user, but is inactive ("This account is inactive.") and i can't enter.

seem like a very permissive rules. Now make one from a exist game.

Edit:
Then i need update all in the forum during the process of building?

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Good luck to all, get ready when it starts ^^

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

@RmBeer2: the problem was with sending email, I just had to restart the mail server.
Looks like you managed to register now, welcome to the competition.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Anyone here on Twitter? If so, use #EasterHack if you tweet about your game(s). ;)

Edit:

My Twitter handle is @ecjii, by the way.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Looks like a few people from the original sign up list are momentarily MIA: Arvidsson and Mark Oates. Don't fall behind guys!

Everybody, you can follow the progress here:
http://tins.amarillion.org/easter17/log/

Oh, and I'm on twitter too nowadays: @mpvaniersel

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Hm, wasn't there a way to comment one someone's TINS post?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I think I'm going to write a new post on each merge. I'm good at compartmentalizing my major changes into branches. Would be some good symmetry.

Elias said:

That would be fun.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

You can join me @GullRaDriel .
Let's get it starteeeeed !!!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:
Elias said:

Elias said:

That would be fun.

Markdown for posts would be nice too. ;D

--

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Do our games have to be made with Allegro written in C/C++? I ask because Niunio recently shared allegro.js, a JavaScript library based on Allegro 4. I think it'd be really neat to make a browser game for a hack.

I've read the rules and it doesn't say anything about the language.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias said:

Unfortunately not. The only improvement I've made recently is that URLs are linkified.

Go to: