Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Idiots like this will ruin VR

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Idiots like this will ruin VR
Elverion
Member #6,239
September 2005

You have it backwards. It's women vs men because it is women that are calling for equality, expect things changed especially for them, while saying men have toxic masculinity and deal with the things that happen to them. Let's not forget that women wanted to make men having to spread their legs due to our testicle an illegal or at the least offense with consequences.

You're thinking of TERFers, not women in general. TERFers are not rational humans.

I had my first true experience with VR over the weekend. My partner brought me over to her friend's house so we could try it. Like many of you, I do wear glasses, and I found that I could comfortably wear the Playstation VR headset without having to remove them or make further adjustment to the focus of the lenses. That was fairly nice; apparently this will not be the case for the Vive? It was also very smooth and didn't give any obvious latency when moving your head around. Any movements were accurately recorded and presented in the game world. It all felt so natural, but there was some pixelation and some weird other visual anomaly I'm not even sure how to describe, something like having thousands of tiny little imperfections in the lens, which distracted from the realism.

Of course there's not much in the way of games yet. We just played a few demos. There was a street louge game which I thought was actually rather fun. The shark dive demo was nothing special. My ladyfriend really liked the shooting gallery game and I have to admit it worked really well with how accurately the game seemed to record movements. Her friend got really into some alien shooter thing which bored us to death--or at least to making out on the couch until he finished and caught us in the act. Must have been quite the surprise considering he thought we were straight. But I digress; it's certainly some interesting technology and clearly needs some improvements, but it's still very fun. I think the hardest challenge is going to just be in making proper (ie. non-gimicky) use of the controls in a way that feels natural.

Speaking of which, my friend and coworker is working on exactly that. We've been discussing how to create a VR game in which you control a character from a 3rd-person perspective. After I had contributing some code and ideas, he's gotten around a few of his hangups and was able to get something working which is pretty cool. I don't want to say too much on how it works out of respect for him, so I won't be going into any detail on it, but take my word that it works and feels "freaky."

--
SolarStrike Software - MicroMacro home - Automation software.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

TERFers? Nah, just RFers. Which is pretty much all vocal Fers and the only Fers with any (read: all) political power.

More to the topic, did you play any online multiplayer games? Were you virtually assaulted? Do you see it as a serious threat? :(

Elverion
Member #6,239
September 2005

No. There were multiplayer options but we didn't play anything online. Mostly there was things like score ranking or time trials; "real" games are still largely a work in progress. I have had guys creep on me in other multiplayer games in the past (for example, one weirdo apparently thought I had a sexy voice and asked me to masturbate and record the audio of me moaning to send him a copy of it. I'm not sure why he thought this was an appropriate request) and expect it to be no different with VR. I do not see it as a threat; it should be treated just like any other form of trolling or griefing in any other online games. People have said and done inappropriate things in online games since their inception and I do not think this is any different.

However, outside of the VR world, we did end up at the bar last night and some guy had stepped over the line. My partner and I were doing our own thing when he came over and started talking with her. Didn't think anything of it but since I couldn't hear what he was saying I had no idea what he was trying to do. After a minute or two I noticed he kept eyeing up her chest (she was wearing a Dirndl and is a very large-chested girl). He was moving his hands in a weird erratic way and I for some reason had the impression he was going to grab her. Then he really started leaning over her and staring right at her cleavage. "You have really nice boobies," I heard him say, and that's when I lost it. Threw my hand over her chest, wrapped my other arm around her and pulled her away, and went off at him for being so inappropriate. He of course slowly backed away and disappeared.

Had this type of behavior been done in a VR setting, I probably would have felt disgusted and annoyed with the person (though, admittedly, not to the same degree), but there would (should?) be an option to kick and/or report the offending player, or just switch to a different match.

--
SolarStrike Software - MicroMacro home - Automation software.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I decided to visit the forums on a whim and what do I see, another thread about women.

;D.

Unrelated, the formatting in this thread is messed up when I'm logged in and posts are missing?

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Missing might be because of some script or something to ignore people?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Missing might be because of some script or something to ignore people?

I don't have any scripts enabled right now. I'm guessing if Bob ignores Ann, then Ann can't see Bob's posts?

edit: a hard refresh fixed it. There's still some weird artifacts, but I can see all the posts now.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

The mentally unstable:
{"name":"CwLocJnVMAA3WGc.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/37cdc7d36f1a4da1ffdb3f462c113abb.jpg","w":550,"h":695,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/37cdc7d36f1a4da1ffdb3f462c113abb"}CwLocJnVMAA3WGc.jpg
Someone said basically the same about the game industry "burn it to the ground, rebuild it and keep men out". I'm sure that makes companies want to rush and be more inclusive.
Getting offended over a game that has zero details about it yet:
{"name":"CvLd2uCWYAAQqAF.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33044843d4d478826434f6de95364ecb.jpg","w":546,"h":407,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33044843d4d478826434f6de95364ecb"}CvLd2uCWYAAQqAF.jpg

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Little did you know, those idiots are the ones wielding power in our society. Largely because sympathetic, well intentioned, ignorant people implicitly "rescue" the idiots whenever they cry out, assuming the idiots are disadvantaged and weak.

The non-idiots in this space are either in the humanist/equalism/mrm/mra camps, and therefore dissenters of the church of political correctness, or are ignorant of the entire debate and participate out of a misguided sense of honor.

The ignorant "non-idiots" are the pawns that run in to beat down the dissenters, rescuing the idiots and their idiotic ideals, ultimately keeping the idiots in power.

Logic, reason, evidence, and science have no place in political correctness. Political correctness is a religion. You are not welcome to disagree with it. Disagreements that are noticed by the hive will be swiftly settled with angry mobs of ignorant pawns trying to do the right thing without stopping to analyze what that might be.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Back in the nineties I was playing MUDS where you could virtually "do" all sorts of things to your fellow players, up to and including sex using "emotes". Most any MUD had a mechanism to disable those emotes partially on in whole, or to silence them.

The designers of this game made the crucial mistake of forgetting that quite a few people can be ass holes online, and that you have to give the players the tools to deal with them. On the other hand, since no physical contact took place, this is not assault, but abuse of a means of communication to cause distress to a person, which may or may not be illegal where you live. And yes, unfortunately, when you pay online, you should expect to encounter online ass holes from time to time.

As for all this culture wars going on in the USA as of lately, it seems pretty clear to me that this is all funded by the 0.001% to divide and conquer the rest of us. And find excuses to muzzle liberty of expression as a bonus. Those "idiots" get media attention because they are "useful idiots", that is, useful to the elite.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Why do you keep posting the hysterical rants of total idiots?

Because those total idiots lead to things like this being taken serious:
{"name":"CwMlcCyUMAQhcPD.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/b\/2b449e86f536c1f5535ab44b571c5754.jpg","w":597,"h":469,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/b\/2b449e86f536c1f5535ab44b571c5754"}CwMlcCyUMAQhcPD.jpg
Sorry, have to bring up GG once again as it is the best example of why those are dangerous. When I first read the Zoey Post, I viewed it as nothing more than a jilted ex-lover whining about his loss. It wasn't until I saw Quinn's twitter where she said he dumped her that I started wondering about the claims. Upon looking into it Nathan Grayson covered Quinn's failed game jam, only telling the story from her side. Then found two articles where he name dropped her game, positive coverage. All three articles didn't mention they were friends.

Then the claims got more complicated when it was revealed she was friends with people that were on the IndieCade board where she won an award. Then Anita started her Tropes Versus Women series where she lied about games to sell her narrative. When gamers, myself included, contacted game sites to find out why they weren't calling these women out on it like they did with Jack Thompson we got greeted with the "Gamers are Dead" articles from people at game sites: http://thisisvideogames.com/gamergatewiki/index.php?title=Gamers_Are_Dead

On top of that we had game developers shitting on gamers. Devs like Tim Schafer, Manveer Heir. Writers, like Sam Biddle calling for bullying of "nerds" for fighting their narrative. Actors like Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton (and his wife) all started attacking their fan base because they dared to challenge the false narrative feminists were telling about gamers outraged over proof of writers covering their friends, former lovers, or former roommates without disclosing they were friends.

This site spawned because of the media blitz attacking gamers: http://deepfreeze.it/

In two years there have been zero proof that gamers or GamerGate have done any wrong doing. On the other hand the anti-gamergate people have a huge history. Randi Harper, creator of the GGAutoBlocker, has a history of bullying people as well as doxing a debt collector in order to scare him from contacting her. Yet she is praised by the media for being anti-bullying. Quinn started Crash Overdrive Network (CON), an anti-harassment group, but recently leaks called the CONLeaks, verified by former CON members like the Gameranx EIC, showed they fabricated most of the harassment to garner positive coverage. One member of the CON group was outed as using CON to further harass women that were seeking CON assistance. There are more cases of the people who spin the narrative that GamerGate is terrible being accused of sexual assault and rape, apologizing for the claims and then resigning from jobs. Wu, used to be a moderator of a transgender message board where she was dismissed because she treated other trans like shit. Yet the media teats these people like they are the paragons of wholesomeness, the deities of the internet while ignoring their actions in order to continue their narrative. "Games journalists" even tried to avoid the conversation of ethics by claiming they were just bloggers, upon which Stephen Totilo said he doesn't hire bloggers only journalists. Jason Scheier flat out stated on Twitter, that Objectivity was a silly thing to strive for.

There are tons of examples of members of the game media admitting they aren't ethical and lied about gamers, but the media just keeps pushing the narrative that gamers hate women, don't want women in tech (which would ignore successful women like Jade Raymond, Amy Hennig, and the endless list of women that were and are a success in the industry. Instead they promote Wu and Quinn like the are the queens of tech (even though Wu couldn't even quote specs correctly for the Playstation or claims to be a programmer and can't build a computer from scratch, claiming it is too hard to do). The more idiot rants there are, like the one I linked in the previous post, are what the media use to push the narrative that gamers, comic fans, etc. are women hating men.

CNN, Clinton News Network, is another prime example of the media wanting to stick to a narrative. They went on about Trump giving Miss Universe Machado a hard time over her weight, but tried to hide the fact that they ran an article giving her a hard time over her weight too.
{"name":"CwNGC6vVUAEEJQ7.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b97b8744cce3b4879b0576e36725c02.jpg","w":640,"h":1021,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b97b8744cce3b4879b0576e36725c02"}CwNGC6vVUAEEJQ7.jpg
{"name":"CwCz5MBXYAApFXO.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b0206e7b94c35c38072a058fae18ea5c.jpg","w":640,"h":470,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b0206e7b94c35c38072a058fae18ea5c"}CwCz5MBXYAApFXO.jpg

video

We'll just ignore them while the media push them as examples to push narratives and force change in media they don't like.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Even In A Virtual World, The Harsh Reality Of Sexual Harassment Persists

Quote:

"It's a different manifestation of the same behavior. So whether it's being overly flirtatious in the workplace or putting your hand on someone's leg when they didn't want it — it's all unwanted sexual behavior driven by sexist tendencies."

8-)

---
they / she

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

All I see are dumbasses white knighting for a woman that gave zero evidence of her claims. As soon as the article dropped on Medium, gamers started trying to find BigBro442 in order to condemn his actions, but was treated to a screen saying no user existed. Gameranx Editor in Chief, Ian Cheong was just the most credible I could show that pointed out he didn't exist. Yet everyone's reaction is still, "He doesn't exist? Well his actions are still terrible!" Who's actions? If a person doesn't exist, then they can't harass anyone.

Seems everyone is missing what that fact implies. The oddities in her story, the user she named not existing, and her abrupt shutting down of all her media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Medium, and her book promotion site) blocking any verification attempts. Makes the article seem like a work of fiction rather than fact, but that hasn't stopped anyone from blindly believing it and condemning a non-existent user.

Jordan is a feminist, and we have already seen feminist try to demonize gamers and men for the past few years now. Her story has different media sites demonizing gamers as sexual predators using VR to heighten their perversions.

Why should we worry about the rants of idiots? Game developers have quickly removed tweets that weren't offensive, but because idiots ranted and complained about finding it offensive. Developers, especially indies, have admitted to self censorship due to fearing the outrage of the easily offended instead of just simply making the game.
{"name":"CwPf3DuWgAA4LoP.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a87a1601337510811cc48a9bf48fb898.jpg","w":609,"h":555,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a87a1601337510811cc48a9bf48fb898"}CwPf3DuWgAA4LoP.jpg
{"name":"CwPf587XEAEKlf-.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ed44ccd7ceffbb986ca6258bbdea1e0.jpg","w":673,"h":708,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ed44ccd7ceffbb986ca6258bbdea1e0"}CwPf587XEAEKlf-.jpg
The bottom page is a Kotaku article, an alleged game site. Game sites are supposed to be reviewing games (story, mechanics, graphics, sound etc.) and major news events in the industry. Instead they spend 98% of their time writing pieces that whine about political correctness and social justice issues not being forced into games. I've linked to the article where a reviewer removed points for a game because it objectified women. MovieBob even went on a rant via Twitter about how meritocracy is terrible. These morons don't want people to have jobs based on their abilities and don't want games to be enjoyed, they want them to force ideologies (particularly feminist ideologies). That is why they praise Gone Home.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Well Specter, since your solution for women is to just ignore everything they find offensive, insulting, and harassing, why don't you take your own advice and just man up and ignore what the "feminists" are saying? You talk about people being overly sensitive, but you're making mountains out of molehills yourself.

Those tweets by Battlefield are irrelevant, there was nothing 'offensive' about them and they're simply too self conscious for their own good. If you and everyone else would stop giving these people so much attention what they are saying wouldn't matter. You're the one giving them power over you.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I agree with Edgar. ;D

Personally, my life has improved since I've stopped giving antagonistic individuals my attention!

---
they / she

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Maybe you are right.

Maybe I should just ignore the feminist run games media that are attacking games for not dealing with social justice issues they hold important, and attacking game developers for not making the main character a woman or person of color.

Maybe I should ignore AAA game developers like Manveer Heir during his "kill all white men" twitter rants while he is making Mass Effect Andromeda. Ignore his attacking other developers for not agreeing with his politics.

Maybe I should ignore Ghostbusters 2016, which was a blatant feminist angled movie which bombed and made Sony execs state they had no interest in attempting any future Ghostbuster movies. Effectively killing the franchise.

I should ignore the localization companies that are changing Japanese dialogue to feminist agenda remarks. Doing so is making Japanese companies lose interest in releasing to the west.

Publishers still think games media have their finger on the pulse of gamers.

I should just ignore it all, then I can look forward to future feminist games like Mortal Kommunication where you press buttons to pick feeling replies and talk out your problems instead of fighting. Or the next GTA sequel, Grand Talking Anchored where you talk about your feelings and can't bring yourself to kill anyone in the game because they are human beings while avoiding strip clubs and hookers because you can't objectify women like that. Sigh The future of feminist gaming looks so amazing, makes me want to walk through and read everything in Gone Home again! That thrilled me to no end.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

You should try a little self-reflection exercise. Try and determine how you're approaching the issue, and how you're going about enacting change.

Are you discussing the issue with others, online or in person? How? Give your self 0 points if it's online, 1 points if in person.

Are you actively following some organized efforts to enact change, such as protesting in-person? How? Then give yourself 2 points.

Are you actively organizing efforts for you and others to enact change? How? Then give yourself 4 points.

Are you leading efforts to enact change? How? Then give yourself 8 points.

Add up your points. What did you get? If you got 1 or less, you're doing nothing for the issue, and you might as well not bother yourself with it. If you got 3 or less, you're doing better but only on a personal level, and are as Hendry David Thoreau would say, "a majority of one." If you got 3-7, then you're actively working to enact change. If you got 8 or more, you're actively leading change.

For example, on the issue of corporate surveillance, I discuss it with others online by voicing my opinion, so +0 points. But I've also gone to campaign stops to discuss my concerns, ask possible candidates to consider my position, and have contacted senators and other politicians by phone and mail. So +1 point.

I have stopped using almost all services offered by Facebook, Google, and Microsoft, and use proper privacy tools (browser add-ons, and Tor when feasible) to prevent any mistaken tracking. So +2 points.

I'm not currently organizing efforts to enact change. No points. I'm not currently leading efforts to enact change. No points.

(This exercise is a work in progress. It probably has some flaws.)

---
they / she

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

What am I talking about and complaining about? This is for equality!

Male gamers get harassed online and berated regularly online. Male gamers response is "Fuck you" and goes back to gaming.

Women get harassed online, outs it, and everyone rushes to implement protection for them.

True equality almost brings a tear to my eye.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

You're not being coherent. :'(

---
they / she

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

No I'm being perfectly coherent. "Feminism is about equality." "Women are equal to men." Male gamers get harassed and attacked in games regularly and all they do is tell the person doing it to "Fuck off" before going back to gaming. A woman is subjected to the same thing and people break their necks to "fix" it. Equality is apparently code for protect the delicate women from the same crap men simply ignore.

All the gaming controversy shows that. The women that are truly equal to men that play games have no issue with them. The women that want special treatment complain about them and any woman that says she is fine with the games as they are is told she has internalized misogyny.

Those tweets by Battlefield are irrelevant, there was nothing 'offensive' about them and they're simply too self conscious for their own good. If you and everyone else would stop giving these people so much attention what they are saying wouldn't matter. You're the one giving them power over you.

*Slow clap*You obviously didn't read the Kotaku article I linked as it stated Battlefield only removed the tweets AFTER negative feedback (ie easily offended idiots whining about how their non-offensive tweets offended them). Lionhead Studio had the same thing happen last year. This is what political correctness is getting us. People are so afraid of offending people that as soon as one person says they are offended they quickly pull it and apologize.

Lionhead, on National Cleavage Day, posted a picture (below) which was met with women complaining sexism and objectification so they deleted the tweet. Guess they never played Fable 2.

{"name":"2836738-fable.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b9d37f6fef2aff121e26359e5474685.jpg","w":302,"h":380,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b9d37f6fef2aff121e26359e5474685"}2836738-fable.jpg

Pillars of Eternity had a similar problem. A backer gave a harmless poem about a man who slept with a woman to find out they were a man and committed suicide. People got offended, said it was transphobic (they love their buzzwords) and he had to change it, he got the last laugh with the change, but still political correctness and the easily offended bombarded the dev until they asked him to change it.
{"name":"poem.PNG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6aecbae7a2d7bf1cd583e978547bf8a9.png","w":624,"h":352,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6aecbae7a2d7bf1cd583e978547bf8a9"}poem.PNG
Changed to:
{"name":"poe1.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/6\/c636a29208926eeeb4849aca67ebfda8.png","w":810,"h":423,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/6\/c636a29208926eeeb4849aca67ebfda8"}poe1.png

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Battlefield only removed the tweets AFTER negative feedback (ie easily offended idiots whining about how their non-offensive tweets offended them).

I said, they were too self conscious. I said, they let them have power over them. I said, there was nothing offensive about them. It was a mistake to remove innocuous content. They shouldn't have kow-towed to a bunch of whiners.

Specter Phoenix said:

Male gamers get harassed and attacked in games regularly and all they do is tell the person doing it to " off" before going back to gaming. A woman is subjected to the same thing and people break their necks to "fix" it. Equality is apparently code for protect the delicate women from the same crap men simply ignore.

Men shouldn't be getting harassed either. The double standard is that men are told to 'man up' and deal with it. What the women are fighting for is valid, and that is the right to have a safe, inclusive gaming environment. You should be fighting for the same thing.

Specter Phoenix said:

All the gaming controversy shows that. The women that are truly equal to men that play games have no issue with them. The women that want special treatment complain about them and any woman that says she is fine with the games as they are is told she has internalized misogyny.

So women aren't equal to men? Thanks for admitting that. It takes courage. I happen to agree with them, men have been putting up with this shit for the longest time, and it's about time someone did something about it. That it takes a woman to do it says a lot about men in general, because they're generally apathetic, insensitive, and rude. Don't deny it, you know it's true.

Specter Phoenix said:

Lionhead, on National Cleavage Day, posted a picture (below) which was met with women complaining sexism and objectification so they deleted the tweet. Guess they never played Fable 2.

That is sexist and it does objectify women. Not saying I don't like cleavage, but they have a valid point.

Specter Phoenix said:

Pillars of Eternity had a similar problem. A backer gave a harmless poem about a man who slept with a woman to find out they were a man and committed suicide. People got offended, said it was transphobic (they love their buzzwords) and he had to change it, he got the last laugh with the change, but still political correctness and the easily offended bombarded the dev until they asked him to change it.

He shouldn't have caved in to them. It was a lousy poem, but he has the right to his own opinion about what is proper and what he finds to be humorous.

Just who are these people you keep going on about, and why do you care what they think? If people would stop listening to them, nothing they say would matter.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Queue the ignorant "non-idiots" I mentioned earlier. If 100,000 people show up to blow your walls down their "opinion" starts to be less than just talk. People lose their careers over this shit, their companies fail, their personal lives are left in ruin. The power of SJW's is real. That's all the more reason to stand against them. And that's what we're doing. The problem is, you're defending them and contributing to the problem.

Sexism exists. It's ingrained in our culture. If a man is beaten up nobody blinks. If a woman gets knocked down accidentally people will beat the living shit out of the guy that did it. That's sexism. And no Feminist has ever complained about it. They complain about the so-called "sexism" that disadvantages them, but the sexism that advantages them is just fucking great. That's also the problem with the current generation and the younger generations that were raised with the mentality that women are an oppressed class (not really true). They see all imbalances towards women as oppression and all imbalances men as just revenge. They don't understand the history behind the history, and they don't understand the science behind it either. They demand quotas to make up for women's different interests. They're just happy to keep men inhaling toxic dust and dying at work though. No women need apply there.

The point is the entire Feminism movement is more of a religion than an equality movement. It has absolutely nothing to do with equality. Zero. Zip. Notta. These people are powerful because political correctness is assumed to be a good thing by kids and adults that were indoctrinated from a young age to believe that it was a good thing. Only the intelligent ones among the population question it. So naturally there's an entire drone army of less than intelligent ones to support the cause. That's where all of the power comes from. The numbers. The donations. The money. And also, it stands to reason, that the so called elite "illuminati" can benefit from a powerful force such as Feminism to control the population as well.

In any case, the problem with this kind of idiocy is that it's powerful. You cannot just ignore it because there is an army 1000x your size that is going to trust the headlines and stand behind it. It's up to the intelligent people to assess the evidence and challenge the idiocy. What's dumb is assuming this is a minority movement that complains and gets nowhere if men don't raise a fuss about it. It actually is far more powerful than any men movement. It happens in spite of men (and women) joining together to oppose it and trying to appeal to logic and reason within the population to fight it. Most of the population is happy to just support the bullshit and pat themselves on the back for it. They're like sheep. They're herd animals. They go where the herd goes.

It's a very, very serious problem. Not only do we have the injustices with sexism to blame for it, but also the other serious problems the planet faces, like for example a significant number of Americans that still believe climate change isn't real... All of those idiots wield significant power that affects us all. This is just another branch of that in action.

Append:

The most outrageous thing happens when you compare the history of women with black people in our culture. Black people were an oppressed demographic and arguably are still oppressed today, though not to the same extent that they once were. In any case, I dare you to compare the history and come to the conclusion that women were ever oppressed in that fashion. Yet, look at our society today. Black people are still in a class struggle. In America, some kind of crazy majority of poor and imprisoned people is black or Hispanic males (is it like 80%?). How are the women faring? Unfortunately for the minority women they're doing a bit poorer than the white women, but still faring better than their male counterparts. Women in general are the untouchable class. They're not oppressed. The entire system is designed to protect them and take care of them. It always has. If that's oppression you can oppress me anytime!

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Men shouldn't be getting harassed either. The double standard is that men are told to 'man up' and deal with it. What the women are fighting for is valid, and that is the right to have a safe, inclusive gaming environment. You should be fighting for the same thing.

Read that and then read your first comment again. You just gave the fix. Men don't take the harassment because of being told to "man up", they take it because they don't give the words being said to them any power. A good example of this is how some African Americans have absolutely no problem with their African American friends saying the N-word to them, but if a white friend said the exact same line in the exact same context they get offended because they give the word the power to offend them. Another example is the Feminist campaign of "Ban 'Bossy'"

Quote:

So women aren't equal to men? Thanks for admitting that. It takes courage.

No, I said the women that whine about not being equal are just wanting special treatment. The women that are equal don't stress over it.

Quote:

Just who are these people you keep going on about, and why do you care what they think? If people would stop listening to them, nothing they say would matter.

Except these people are culture critics, developers, IDGA, DiGRA, and journalists whom hold extreme third wave feminist views and that are considered well respected in the game industry. If they deem something wrong their followers hound developers until the developers have no choice and have to cave. Some game sites have even went so far as to deny reviewing any Indie game that doesn't meet their feminist agenda. Can't remember if it was Polygon or Kotaku, but they said if your game has a white male hero they have no interest in reviewing it. Though they do whine when Bethesda added them both to their blacklist for shitting on gamers who enjoyed their games.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

What are you doing, other than complaining on Allegro.cc, about this issue?

---
they / she

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

A backer gave a harmless poem about a man who slept with a woman to find out they were a man and committed suicide. People got offended, said it was transphobic (they love their buzzwords)

While it may be a buzzword, it does describe a real phenomena, and this idea does seem to be an expression of transphobia to me.

Quote:

he had to change it, he got the last laugh with the change, but still political correctness and the easily offended bombarded the dev until they asked him to change it.

It seems fine to ask someone to change a poem like that. This is a very serious issue for some people, and if I were working on a project with someone and they wrote poems like that which got bad attention and prominence, and which is something I wouldn't really want to be involved in, I would hope he could understand the misstep. It's very common for trans women to be murdered by men in these situations, and it's a hot button topic for millions of people.

You're free to express your opinions, but not wherever the hell you want to.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Go to: