Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Quote:

Still looks cool. 8-)

Glad you think so. I fixed the terrain generation, but now all of the kittens spawn in the same area, which shouldn't be happening...

{"name":"DGvy7HLV0AEUk1W.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/9\/a9328b030a4ed5a76af4bbae0de8c3ed.jpg","w":770,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/9\/a9328b030a4ed5a76af4bbae0de8c3ed"}DGvy7HLV0AEUk1W.jpg:large

By the way, you should change "www.Katko.us" to "http://www.Katko.us" on your profile page, because currently clicking on the link navigates to "https://www.allegro.cc/members/www.Katko.us" (although the link seems dead either way). :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've been meaning to get the site back up. Once I got a job I was like, "Meh, I don't need to pay the monthly charges."

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

What'd you have on your Web site anyway? I checked the Wayback Machine, but most of the links are incomplete.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Probably nothing useful to most people. Lists and examples of my hardware and software projects. Resume. Stuff like that.

As soon as I got the site up and running I was like, "Wait a minute... I don't have any CONTENT worth sharing!"

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Probably nothing useful to most people. Lists and examples of my hardware and software projects.

I must not be most people then, because I usually get a kick out of seeing people's projects. I especially like blogs, because they can be a bit more personal than static Web pages. It's always cool, I think, when I stumble across a blog that hasn't been touched in 5+ years, yet it's still online... it's like I've opened a time capsule or something.

Hey... you should start a blog so I have something interesting to read. ;)

Edit
A few people had issues with locating kittens in the original release of Kitten Kerfuffle, so I've decided to add a "compass" pointing to the nearest one, instead of just using text (I may drop the text indicator altogether).

{"name":"DGw7LCzXcAAb1xA.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/128be146b5fa0a041be12a111a2babb6.jpg","w":768,"h":448,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/128be146b5fa0a041be12a111a2babb6"}DGw7LCzXcAAb1xA.jpg:large

Edit #2

The rewrite is complete. You can play the game here and can read a quick post about it here.

{"name":"DG32eLCWAAAqnWh.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/18decc7709708da1a5fab920d3965698.jpg","w":768,"h":448,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/18decc7709708da1a5fab920d3965698"}DG32eLCWAAAqnWh.jpg

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

It's true! ;D

{"name":"610988","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6cd06b8d38ad0be556ab6f084b4bc7fc.jpg","w":674,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6cd06b8d38ad0be556ab6f084b4bc7fc"}610988

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I must not be most people then, because I usually get a kick out of seeing people's projects.

You might like this one then!

{"name":"t9HZR2s.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/6\/a65d8b3a97d77fbce2bf11849e100b6e.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/6\/a65d8b3a97d77fbce2bf11849e100b6e"}t9HZR2s.png

I spent two days playing around in my free time and figured out how to combine Javascript+ChartJS, Python, and SQLite, and host a website that allows me to remotely view my laptop's (<-ahah) current available memory.

The plan is to add asynchronous data refreshing, as well as a variety of system resource captures. I imagine something like that already exists but who cares, I'd rather spend 4-6 hours LEARNING Python and Javascript then learning how to setup someone's tool.

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Wow! That's pretty impressive, Chris! Do you plan on doing anything with this and its data after getting asynchronous refreshes to work, or is it all just for fun?

Speaking of "fun", I see you have Algodoo in your bookmarks there. That's what ultimately became of Phun, right? I remember playing with Phun roughly 8 or 9 years ago.

Edit
I went to reply to This Place Just Doesn't Die, but it was locked! :o I thought for sure it would become the next long-running thread and endure the test of time... :'(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Wow! That's pretty impressive, Chris! Do you plan on doing anything with this and its data after getting asynchronous refreshes to work, or is it all just for fun?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet but I've always loved graphs and data. I could, for example, have my main computer upload those stats, and then have a remote computer watch my voltages, RAM/CPU statistics, etc.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

You could turn that into a side scroller game, with a helicopter rescuing people from burning buildings... use the code to generate that graph to generate a city. ;D

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That's actually freakin brilliant. Have a silly "helicopter rescue" game into the javascript.

[edit]

{"name":"n6cMuPP.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/42671252c19b8f8223627aeac0b9cac6.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/42671252c19b8f8223627aeac0b9cac6"}n6cMuPP.png

Just added CPU temps, and only took me ~30 minutes. So far so good. :)

-----sig:

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Neil Roy said:

You could turn that into a side scroller game, with a helicopter rescuing people from burning buildings... use the code to generate that graph to generate a city.

This idea is spectacular.

So... whattya think happens when there are no topics in Off-Topic?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

So... whattya think happens when there are no topics in Off-Topic?

In 40 years, when Allegro is no more, and everyone has moved from C and C++ to something called "*^Q" ("star carrot queue"), this thread will be going strong with more than a million replies. Nothing else will be here aside from this thread. We're it, man. We're the future!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

In 40 years I will be 92, shaking my cane and yelling at the young whipper-snappers about programming in a REAL language like pure C... like we did in my day! ;)

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

You know, there are probably some really old folks who yell at programmers nowadays for using compilers and high-level languages, because "back in my day, we wrote REAL software in binary or later on using punch cards!" :P

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"610990","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e90c8f545bebb760240c596248020d89.jpg","w":320,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e90c8f545bebb760240c596248020d89"}610990

---

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

How about running Turbo Pascal off one 5 1/4" floppy mainly because we didn't have a hard drive.

8086/8088 PC
512kb memory
2 x 5 1/4" floppy (I think only 640kb each)
Hercules graphics card
Green monochrome CRT

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Speaking of floppy disks... I knew an old lady a few years back who was preparing to move across the country. She had a Windows 95 machine, which is where she claimed to keep all of her banking information, recipes, and writings. The machine was ancient. I was surprised it had lasted so long. She asked me if I thought her files would survive the cross-country trip, or if she should try backing things up. I said it should be O.K. I'm not even sure how you would backup files on such an old computer. It didn't even have USB ports. I never heard whether or not it survived the trip.

Anyway, are any of you Sonic fans? It dawned on me that I had never finished any of the 2D games... until today. Today I finished Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2, and I'm working now on completing Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I plan on getting Sonic Mania sometime in the next couple of weeks. So far, reviews for the game are pretty good.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm not even sure how you would backup files on such an old computer. It didn't even have USB ports.

{"name":"tenor.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/0\/e0b97de3cb3511ce4e1a159172e66dfc.gif","w":500,"h":281,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/0\/e0b97de3cb3511ce4e1a159172e66dfc"}tenor.gif

A Windows 95 machine probably would have had floppy disks for backup (hopefully it's not a LOT of data).

In theory, a network solution might work too, but since speeds were so poor in those days I'm not sure that would have been built into the OS at the time. You could probably boot a Linux distro that would be able to do it though if you failed to find Windows 95 compatible software.

You could probably just hook up a slave drive too though (if you could find another PATA disk small enough) and use that as a backup. Or else just remove the hard drive from the ancient PC and hook it up to a modern PC (you should be able to find a PATA to SATA adapter for the hard drive if your machine doesn't support the connection natively, and there are kits you can buy for that if it matters).

Other than that, I'm not sure what else you could use for backup... :-/ I don't imagine CD-R drivers would have been available at the time, but perhaps they are available now? Windows 95 definitely supported CD-ROMs though.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Actually, Windows 95 OSR2 supported CD-ROMs. The normal retail version didn't even have the CD player.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Allow me to rephrase: I'm not sure how to easily backup data from such a machine and transfer it to a more modern one. My first thought was over a network, but she didn't have an Internet connection. She used the computer to manually keep track of bills and stuff she received in the mail, as well as recipes, poems, short stories, etc, but nothing from the Internet. And I didn't/don't have a floppy disk reader, and her computer didn't have a CD reader, as I recall. So it was pretty limited in what she could do with the data. I suppose she could have backed things up to her own floppy disks, but I'm not sure she had any extras. To be honest, I didn't really want to get involved, because if data became lost along the way, or something didn't go as she expected, she would've blamed me. :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Allow me to rephrase: I'm not sure how to easily backup data from such a machine and transfer it to a more modern one. My first thought was over a network, but she didn't have an Internet connection.

Apparently Ethernet cards were available for [some?] Win95 machines so it should be possible to network with another machine without any Internet connection. The ancient machine would have to have an Ethernet card and you'd probably need a cross-over cable, and I'm not sure what software wizardry.

To be honest, I didn't really want to get involved, because if data became lost along the way, or something didn't go as she expected, she would've blamed me. :P

I concur. I generally avoid getting involved in any kind of technical support work for family, friends, acquaintances, strangers, etc., because it'll at best end break even for you and at worst cost you reputation points or a lot of trouble or money or who knows what else.

My parents and finacée often try to offer up my services for acquaintances that need technical support, but I'm usually pretty quick to remind them that I'm a programmer, not technical support, and I can do my best if I'm willing, but a solution is not guaranteed and I'm not going to spend much time trying unless I'm being paid well to do it (and of course usually you're working for free, or $20, or a couple of drinks, in such cases). And if you're going to pay real money anyway you might as well hire somebody that does it for a living and has experiences I don't have.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

bamccaig said:

I generally avoid getting involved in any kind of technical support work for family, friends, acquaintances, strangers, etc., because it'll at best end break even for you...

Fixing someone's computer is a good way to score a date.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Peter Hull's avatar is ANIMATED?!

IT BLINKED AT ME.

:o

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Fixing someone's computer is a good way to score a date.

That might just work... Time to find some hot chicks to try it on. ;D

Peter Hull's avatar is ANIMATED?!

You didn't notice before now?

Go to: