Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » This Place Just Doesn't Die

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
This Place Just Doesn't Die
BitCruncher
Member #11,279
August 2009

Joined in middle school, started high school, graduated high school, started undergrad, graduated college, and you guys are STILL here.

What is wrong with you guys, ;D. Good to be back, though.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I think I remember you. Unless there was someone named BitMuncher.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I think my first account here was in 2000, possibly earlier. I started using Allegro with I was working for a company doing Y2K compliance, so I was definitely using it before 2000.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It's a place where I find old friends and so known trolls that I love.
And for what I do, I keep rocking baby !
;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I joined my last year of high school. Now I've graduated Uni and I've completed 2 years of my career.
My first post https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/601818

At that point, I had been programming in VB .NET since November 2008, and was trying to learn C++.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I joined back in high school. (2004-ish?) I lurked for a year or so before joining however.

Yup. Doesn't feel like it's been 13 or so years at all.

Edit: Looks like became a member in 2013! So I was lurking back in 2002. That means I've been occasionally browsing a.cc for nearly half my life thus far... ::)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I joined in 2005, but started using Allegro in 2004 for a school project. My activity has tapered off over the past decade, but still drop by once in a while to see what's happening.

So 12 years...I wonder who all have passed since I joined...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Back in my day ...

Actually used to visit the old "Allegro Depot" before Allegro.cc came along and replaced it.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Joined 2006, mostly lurk. Has anyone heard from ML recently?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

He hasn't been very active for a few years, but he' still around. I wish he would allow someone else to improve the forum, though.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

01-31-2002 3:19 PM

One reason I won't leave is ... I've been here so long I'd hate to move on. ;D

I Still Remember When I First Posted Here And Capitalized Every Word Like Some Lunatic.

[edit]

It seems like everyone has moved to SFML from SDL and Allegro. But I don't know. We don't do any community outreach so that might have contributed to our problem. No idea if it's really "better." My game(s) will likely have my own "engine" layer on top that abstracts away most of Allegro anyway so if something were to go poof I could easily add another hardware library.

At first glance, this really doesn't look any different than DAllegro + Allegro5 (which throws everything in a namespace).

#SelectExpand
1https://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.4/start-vc.php 2 3#include <SFML/Graphics.hpp> 4 5int main() 6{ 7 sf::RenderWindow window(sf::VideoMode(200, 200), "SFML works!"); 8 sf::CircleShape shape(100.f); 9 shape.setFillColor(sf::Color::Green); 10 11 while (window.isOpen()) 12 { 13 sf::Event event; 14 while (window.pollEvent(event)) 15 { 16 if (event.type == sf::Event::Closed) 17 window.close(); 18 } 19 20 window.clear(); 21 window.draw(shape); 22 window.display(); 23 } 24 25 return 0; 26}

Although it looks like our naming convention is more "on the metal" and we don't hide what's going on. Like al_flip_display() vs "display()". Both are likely doing the same thing, but they hide the details behind a much more abstract name. As an experienced programmer, I wouldn't care. But as a newbie, I'm glad I learned on A4, and A5 so I actually understand what's going on down to the metal.

I mean, I often have questions about Allegro and I simply just look through the Allegro source code to see what it's doing.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Joined Aug 2009 .... pwahaha kids... get off my lawn!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

@Katko
That SFML sample looks nice and tidy. I don't see any kind of a monolith option with SFML from first glance, which makes for messy projects. The fact that a circle comes with a default position of 0,0 centered on the screen is a little odd.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Joined this around... 2002 I think? It says under my name. Lurked these forums before that, used the email chat list we had before this and started using Allegro around... 1996 I think it was, 21 years ago now... wow. :o

To be honest, I have been playing around with SDL2 lately and liking it. I think Allegro lost it's edge when they made Allegro 5. Though I have used it and it works well (when you can get it compiled... by someone else), Allegro 4 was simpler in many respects and I feel that is what attracted people to it. Plus I was able to compile Allegro 4 with no problems. I have never compiled Allegro 5 successfully, and this, combined with the fact it is difficult to get a good working build, is what is killing it.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

We're quite old, aren't we? :-/

Neil Roy said:

To be honest, I have been playing around with SDL2 lately and liking it. I think Allegro lost it's edge when they made Allegro 5. Though I have used it and it works well (when you can get it compiled... by someone else), Allegro 4 was simpler in many respects and I feel that is what attracted people to it. Plus I was able to compile Allegro 4 with no problems. I have never compiled Allegro 5 successfully, and this, combined with the fact it is difficult to get a good working build, is what is killing it.

I like the old API (and functionality) too, and I was a bit active in discussions in the mailing lists when it was being desinged. Anyway, I like Allegro 5 more than any SDL though.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Unless you are messing with the library itself, just download the binaries. I work with visual studio and installing Allegro is easy with the Nuget package.

It was tricky but I was able to compile A5 a while ago. The hardest part about that was finding all the secondary libraries to download. I skipped a few because I didn't need them for what I was doing at the time.

I miss certain aspects of A4, but I like A5 so much better. Switching to 'Event driven' processing was something I had to work on.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Ultimately, event driven processing is far superior to polling.

QFT

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Thanks to denial, I'll live forever!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Niunio said:

We're quite old, aren't we?

Well, in 1996 when I first started using Allegro I was 31 years old. Started using computers when I was around 14 or 15, around 1979-1980. So yup, I am now! Only 52 at the moment though, which may seem old to some, but trust me, it isn't once you get here, and you get to this age MUCH faster than you can imagine! Especially once you hit your 40s! ;)

Oh, one thing I really love about SDL2, (SDL2 Mixer that is) is that I can play my old Amiga MOD music files! That was too awesome as they sound great for video games and are really small in size.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Man, I'd love to probe your brain. You've got to have so much perspective and experience at that age. (That probably sounds sarcastic but I'm being honest.) About all kinds of sweet bass old technology. How was FORTRAN and COBOL? ;D My Dad took one of the first "computer" engineering degrees and had to program on punchcards "during his turn" on a shared mainframe.

That's one thing I've learned in my late-20s, and now as I'm past 30. Age doesn't give wisdom, it gives perspective and if you're smart you'll use it to gain wisdom--but it's not automatic.

-----sig:

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Neil Roy said:

Oh, one thing I really love about SDL2, (SDL2 Mixer that is) is that I can play my old Amiga MOD music files! That was too awesome as they sound great for video games and are really small in size.

Same here. I'm waiting for a MOD/MIDI add-on for Allegro 5 (I haven't knowledge enough right now to do it by myself :().

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I thought Allegro5's audio addon could play MOD files using libdumb? I've never tried it, though.

Go to: