Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » This Place Just Doesn't Die

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
This Place Just Doesn't Die
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Thanks again for this:

{"name":"610962","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c43257e412d269e0ac04641ecf877d6.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c43257e412d269e0ac04641ecf877d6"}610962

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

He wrote Windows 7?! HOLY CRAP.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

EDIT
See if you can spot the typo in my post. First to find it wins a cookie.

where are noobs

You guys realize now this thread is doomed to the same fate as the "Thread locks too soon" thread right? Now this thread has to live as long as allegro.cc.

The threads that never close.

It has to become a personal welcome thread where are noobs must obligatorily post hello allegro forums replies.

We should have ML pin this shit. ;) xD

Arthur Kalliokoski : You do realize you're the last surviving admin of the allegro.cc forums right? Or LennyLen, are you still admin? I'm sorry, but this site is getting severely outdated. Not that its not functional or anything, but ML seems too busy with his little tyke and his life so that he can't spend as much time being our Fearless Leader as he used to. I still remember when he ruled with an Iron FistTM.

I wish there would be a private repository of the allegro.cc forum code so we could preserve this site forever if we need to.

EDIT : OT

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It has to become a personal welcome thread where are our noobs must obligatorily post hello allegro forums replies.

FTFY.

Arthur Kalliokoski : You do realize you're the last surviving admin of the allegro.cc forums right? Or LennyLen, are you still admin? Can we get some shit done around here or what? Just askin, cuz this site is getting severely outdated. Not that its not functional or anything, but ML is so busy with his little tyke and his life he can't spend time being our Fearless Leader anymore.

{"name":"phrasing.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/d\/6dbd6a02738c5a81b3e422009c0fecf5.png","w":490,"h":489,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/d\/6dbd6a02738c5a81b3e422009c0fecf5"}phrasing.png

We don't know how much longer we'll have AK for. Don't jinks it for fucks sake. Last time I checked he was not an admin (there's no way they'd let him be, he's too free thinking). Hell, he could be dead already for all I know.

I wish there would be a private repository of the allegro.cc forum code so we could preserve this site forever if we need to. Freeze dry that shiznit. And then fix it.

I've asked ML a few times for the code and I think the gist is that he doesn't think anybody would find it useful (officially). So either it's actually shit under the hood, or he's being modest. Probably a little bit of both since this is reality. In any case,... the main thing to preserve is the data, not the code.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

Phrasing...

Edited. that was a little harsh. didn't mean to come across that way.

Yes, but we need someone who can access and change content on the site. The files page is so far out of date it drives new users away from allegro because none of the binaries there work when they try to use them and none of them are up to date. The news page is. Wait for it. Nearly a year old now. Half the depot games don't work because they forgot to include the dlls with their releases and didn't release source code. The code parser links to very outdated docs, when there are new ones at liballeg.org. I asked ML to work on that, and I doubt he has time to do so, so I haven't pushed it. It's time to change, adapt, or die. That's the way I see it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I can't leave this site, or the monthly page views will drop by 30%! 8-)

Make Allegro Great Again!

[edit] Is anyone here on other forums? Gamedev? Programming? Electronics?

I miss forums. Reddit is such a !@#$!-show for popularity. And Stack Overflow hates eccentric questions like "I'm connecting a car radiator to my CPU for water cooling, what should I do about X?" ("omg, that's so stupid. don't try that.")

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Make Allegro Great Again!

I love it! Hmmm.... we need an Allegro game where you build a wall. Maybe a competition to do that. ;D

As for the depot on here, it is limited to like, 10 megs I think? Something like that, can't fit my games into it. Seems rather small but... my Deluxe Pacman 1 game should be in there, though I don't recall which version, I haven't updated it in there in a while, mainly due to size limitations, but it was statically linked so no DLLs required (part of why I prefer statically linking, less to forget).

Quote:

And Stack Overflow hates eccentric questions like

I am not a fan of that place. There seems to be people constantly hovering around just looking for "bad questions" they can tag as duplicate or some other way. People with no life what so ever. I even had people edit my posts for some stupid reason. It feels very snobbish and I try and avoid it like the plague.

I have to say, I like the more open atmosphere in here. I'll take the good with the bad just to keep it more open and less snobbish.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Arthur Kalliokoski : You do realize you're the last surviving admin of the allegro.cc forums right? Or LennyLen, are you still admin?

I've never been an administrator here. Not even a moderator.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

All in favor of making LennyLen an honorary administrator say "aye".

Aye!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Meh... Oh, I mean ... Aye!

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Neil Roy said:

I love it! Hmmm.... we need an Allegro game where you build a wall. Maybe a competition to do that.

Do we have any Mexican members, who could make it and pay for it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Do we have any Mexican members, who could make it and pay for it?

Nope, sorry, not allowed in. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Arthur Kalliokoski : You do realize you're the last surviving admin of the allegro.cc forums right?

I was never an admin either, the "Second in Command" was just a joke. And you can also see by my avatar that I'm just another noob.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

... woah.

Can I be last in command?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

All in favor of promoting (demoting???) Gideon to last in command say "aye".

Aye. :D

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Nay

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Quote:

Nay

Do you want to be last in command instead?

Mike Farrell
Member #248
April 2000

Super old school user saying what's up.

I credit allegro and this site for my career as a dev.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Me too. In secondary school a colleague wrote a pretty cool triva game with Allegro. I wanted to know how he did it so I could make my own games and he pointed me to allegro.cc.

So I guess even before Allegro.cc started me on my career as a programmer, technically it was Goodbytes (his a.cc handle) who introduced me to my future career as a programmer.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Same

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Stick around why don't you?

I know you weren't mentioning me specifically but I'm sticking around as long as people keep posting here!

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: