Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Thank you for sharing the Wikipedia list of Allegro games. I have been maintaining a similar list here and encourage people to contribute (as I am certain there are a number of notable games missing).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I forgot about Gemini Rue!

Though technically, they used the Adventure Game Studio, which runs on top of Allegro (4?).

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Yes, it's A4. There are also other games which use AGS; I think Resonance deverses to be mentioned.

I've only played two of them, but I think some/maybe even all (?) of those at http://www.wadjeteyegames.com are made with AGS/A4.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Quite a lot of the games on Retrospec were made with Allegro. Unfortunately I don't know exactly which ones.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I still love LaserLock. A DOS game that the internet is slowly forgetting.

You control a space station with corridors built from puzzle-pieces. There are aliens, civilians, and soldiers. Aliens are trying to take over the station. Every turn, you can do X amount of actions with your energy, like toggling doors, placing new reactors (for more energy) and so on.

But what I do is get as many of my guys to a safe place, seal them in, then trigger a bomb on the other side of the station. The station vents to space and kills everything on the other side the the airlock, and in my case, 99% of the station!

I've got a copy on my PC. It's hard to come by.

[edit] This game was way more crude than I remembered. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

bamccaig said:

That is bloody amazingly well designed and polished. I love it. Thanks for the special build! It ran just fine. It crashed when I picked "Fantastic" graphics, but "Fastest" seemed to work fine. I did have trouble exiting though. Not sure if you're supposed to be able to go back to a menu or anything, but I couldn't figure it out. I was in windowed mode so I managed to get to the window's x.

I'm afraid that I don't have a controller to test with though.

Thanks for testing! Glad to hear it works natively on Linux ;D. You are right to notice there's no way to exit currently other than the hard way. I admit I didn't invest much attention into this since we're going to re-do the entire menu and UI anyway. But it'd have been good to mention that, I'll add a section on our website as a quick and dirty work-around :)

May I ask what system you're on? (mostly interested in GPU and CPU)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I have an AMD (ASUS) HD 6850 and an AMD Phenom II 1000T. The full system specs should be available somewhere on the boards because I'm sure I built it with advice from here... I'm currently running Ubuntu for Steam support. I have the proprietary drivers installed.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Quite a lot of the games on Retrospec were made with Allegro. Unfortunately I don't know exactly which ones.

Many of them are packaged with source code and Allegro DLLs (Styx, for example). They also look really good! Can you say anything of their notoriety? The most popular game of the bunch would be a good starting point...

I took the liberty of adding Resonance.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Greetings from Japan! I found a shop called DLESS here.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I found a shop called DLESS here.

Pictures?

On the notoriety of the Retrospec games: I did a bit of work on some of them to ensure the Mac version was working correctly - ExolonDX, Wizball, Deflektor and Tranzam (possibly Alien8, I can't remember) so I know the ones that Graham Goring did are listed in his Mobygames entry. Also there may be some YouTube play-throughs. Obviously they are all remakes and the original games were written about in computer magazines of the 1980s. That's about it though.

Also, at least some of Linley Henzell's games are made with Allegro.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Thank you for sharing the Wikipedia list of Allegro games. I have been maintaining a similar list here and encourage people to contribute (as I am certain there are a number of notable games missing).

Like this game. It will be published soon... 8-)

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Anybody interested in Axiom Verge, MegaSphere, or Jonathan Blow's newest game The Whitness?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Further derailment of this thread: we just went on at Steam Greenlight. It would be very kind of you to vote for our disgusting game, so the world can be made a worse place 8-)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Voted :)

You have an error in your description: the verb "to lead" becomes "led" in the past tense. If you spell it "lead" and expect it to be pronounced "led", then it's a metal.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

That's horrible.

Horribly good! ;D

Am I right when I say this new Atomic Butcher isn't an Allegro game but the original was?

Pete

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

What ? Traitor !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I've heard that no one in USA is concerned about the Panama Papers. That everyone thinks it's just something about corrupt Russian politicians. I guess we will know more next week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

What are you guys doing here, with 417 posts? You're gonna clog the innertubes!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Bumpy !

It's an attempt to keep a thread alive ;-)

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I wonder if Matt is still reading this thread. ???

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I wonder if he is still reading a.cc at all ???

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've heard that no one in USA is concerned about the Panama Papers. That everyone thinks it's just something about corrupt Russian politicians. I guess we will know more next week.

A quick look at Reddit /r/news or r/worldnews will tell you nobody is talking about ANYTHING else at all.

The consensus is that the USA leaks are likely huge and going to be released later.

It's a 2.6 TERABYTE dump. It takes a long time to sift through everything.

-----sig:

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

That, and the Delaware. Why going to Panama when you have the Delaware, which is more reputed than the latter for the security of the tractations.

Go to: