Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

bamccaig said:

The executives give themselves millions in "bonuses" for a job well done while declaring bankruptcy and abandoning the "company", leaving the "workers" to fend for themselves with what's left (nothing).

... so politicians leave the United States en masse? You're right. It sounds more like soaring than bouncing.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

... so politicians leave the United States en masse? You're right. It sounds more like soaring than bouncing.

Not just the politicians. The wealthy, of which, thanks to bribes and general "upper-class" backgrounds, politicians very much are. You bet your ass when it catches fire they won't be passing any buckets. They'll just take their spoils and run, leaving everybody else to fight the fires.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Quit getting my hopes up. :)

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

My little CSS thread got locked after a week :'(
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/616090

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

My condolences.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Of course it did. You humiliated the fearless leader. You're lucky you haven't been banished from these lands yet! :o

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

allegro.cc should be a forum as a service. That way we could expand it into apps/games while still keeping the network intact.

Does allegro.cc even have like a privacy policy or terms of service?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

allegro.cc should be a forum as a service. That way we could expand it into apps/games while still keeping the network intact.

What does that mean?

A.CC being some sort of Allegro dynamic game hub where you post highscores, game lobbies, and so on?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Well, there seems to a small small sentiment that allegro.cc could be updated a bit. This thread being a primary example. Peter's thread about the custom CSS page not working is another.

What might that look like? Maybe it would be more like a platform that would developers to make a better mobile view, or build an app with push notifications, or an ability to customize the interface a bit more than the simple custom Javascript. It might be cool if the source to allegro.cc was an open repo like the Allegro library itself - members could contribute PR changes, things like that. :)

Just, enable more possibilities.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I honestly don't think we have the forum community size to warrant it right now. But if someone really wanted to do the WORK, I'm not going to tell them no.

But I think something we'd need most, is something high-profile to draw people into the community. A high-profile game, or a YouTube series on game development using Allegro.

I'm working toward doing some YouTube videos anyway. Some of them game development related.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

A high-profile game

You mean like factorio?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Well, yes, I thought of saying that. But I have no idea if Korval really wants to plug Allegro anywhere in his game / website.

-----sig:

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Korval... isn't he still working on AllegroPro? :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Whoops, I was in a hurry. I meant kovarex.

-----sig:

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Strangely, you've done that before.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

How do you even remember that?!

-----sig:

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Speaking of remembrance ... does any of you slackers remember that disgusting game I made with a friend aeons ago? It was called Atomic Butcher and is still lurking about in the depot.

We're currently working on a sequel; there's a playable demo on our page. We're planning to go to Steam Greenlight soon-ish, so spread the word, and let there be feasting!

In case it crashes or anything, please drop me a note with your system specs and everything.

Yeah, this does not belong in this thread, but what really does? This post here can still accomplish not having this thread locked too soon. :-*

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Is there a reason you discriminate against 32-bit CPUs? >:( I tried to run it in wine, but it seems that getting a functional 64-bit wine is a lot of work... At least, I'm inferring that the errors I get are architecture specific, but I can't rule something else out until I have ruled that out...

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

... does any of you slackers remember that disgusting game I made with a friend aeons ago?

I never played the original but will never forget the preview of the sequel.

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

bamccaig said:

Is there a reason you discriminate against 32-bit CPUs?

Just that I didn't have a 32-bit system to test it on before releasing. In hindsight, I really should've known better before posting here... Please be aware that I did not test if this build works, but judging from your post you were meddling about with Wine. No need for that (hopefully), here is a Linux version (both x86 and x86-64). The download is approximately 100 MiB. I made that just for you, bambam :-*

edit: I'm off to work now, so I won't be able to hop in that quickly in case anything does not work; but it'd be a very valuable test to see if it runs in Linux natively (maybe you also have a twin-stick controller to try it with? As far as the demo is concerned, you should only have to plug it in)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I don't know if kovarex wants to advertise allegro (but why not? It's in the interest of factorio too that Allegro continues to do well)

But it's hardly a secret:

Games made with allegro

For comparison:

Games made with SDL

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

The SDL list is shorter than I expected. The Allegro list should include the Monster RPG games made by Trent G and his team.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

The Allegro page is a category page, so you can only add games that have a wikipedia entry themselves.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Just that I didn't have a 32-bit system to test it on before releasing. In hindsight, I really should've known better before posting here... Please be aware that I did not test if this build works, but judging from your post you were meddling about with Wine. No need for that (hopefully), here is a Linux version (both x86 and x86-64). The download is approximately 100 MiB. I made that just for you, bambam :-*

edit: I'm off to work now, so I won't be able to hop in that quickly in case anything does not work; but it'd be a very valuable test to see if it runs in Linux natively (maybe you also have a twin-stick controller to try it with? As far as the demo is concerned, you should only have to plug it in)

That is bloody amazingly well designed and polished. I love it. Thanks for the special build! It ran just fine. It crashed when I picked "Fantastic" graphics, but "Fastest" seemed to work fine. I did have trouble exiting though. Not sure if you're supposed to be able to go back to a menu or anything, but I couldn't figure it out. I was in windowed mode so I managed to get to the window's x.

I'm afraid that I don't have a controller to test with though.

Go to: