Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ok, so this MAY get trolled out of hand.....BUT

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Ok, so this MAY get trolled out of hand.....BUT
Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Hello.

First off, I'm pretty drunk, and I've been smoking the best plant on Earth, so keep that in mind.

Second off, I'm studying for a Physics degree, which in this first year includes a broad range of science.

Thirdly off, I'm an Atheist.

So, on to the point. I've been an Atheist from a VERY young age, me and 80% of the kids from our village went to an Atheist primary school, because it was the only one in the village.

I'm still an Atheist, but the more I study now into the depths of 'how it all works' (as such) the more I become conflicted! The sheer mathematical beauty of it all constantly steers me away from 'random events' to 'engineered perfection'.

Is this a common stage for Atheists studying 'how it all works' or am I just smoking too much too often?

:-/

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You've been smoking chocolate? <3

If it has to be engineered perfection, then the engineering happened in an environment where logical constructs are possible, which is probably an environment that itself has to be engineered to perfection, ad infinitum. Surely to goodness.

So it's clearly just that things somehow naturally work out that way because it's a simple, orthogonal system that can just happen.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

In the infinite number of possible universes, at last one was bound to be like ours :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I grew up "Christian" and became an atheist once I reached an age where I was old enough to start thinking for myself (between 11 and 14, I think). I think that it's good for you to question everything, even science, and potentially good to be exposed to religion, if only to experience first hand how corrupt and ridiculous it is. I don't even know how you can say an "atheist school". To me that's just a school. :-/ Did it teach no god as a religion or just not teach a religion [and teach science AKA knowledge instead]?

Bruce Perry basically explained the very rudimentary logic to contradict your own (that which is the same argument that many religious minds use, which I think demonstrates their own logical fallacies). If there had to have been a "creator" then there had to have also been a creator of the creator, ad infinitum. Effectively, it's an infinite loop, which doesn't make any sense. Even if that were the reality, it contracts every practiced religion that I am aware of, so none of those are optional even if you could somehow justify it to yourself.

Append: And it's not hard to find "flaws" in our universe if you define what a flaw is before you look for it. It's actually quite easy. They are a common occurrence.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdi_u1ZenRw

If you look around you and see "engineered perfection" instead of "shit biology that somehow happens to work despite all the crap that's behind it" then... well... whatever you've been smoking, I want some of it. :P

No, really, "engineered perfection"? What the fucking hell? Give me a single example of "perfection". Because I've sure as hell never seen anything like it.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Quote:

If it has to be engineered perfection, then the engineering happened in an environment where logical constructs are possible, which is probably an environment that itself has to be engineered to perfection, ad infinitum.

Ok, lock the thread, question answered!! ;D

@Bamccaig - it meant no 'carols' at christmas, no references to 'the lord' in any plays or assembly's, I dunno there was just no Jesus. It was because of the Headmaster at the time, who I'm guessing at some point had lost his way with the lord...but I was very, very young! ???

gnolam said:

No, really, "engineered perfection"? What the **ing hell? Give me a single example of "perfection". Because I've sure as hell never seen anything like it.

Seriously, I respect you and all, becuase you're A.cc 'oldskool' but, man, what a weird comment. Perfection? Look at ANYTHING that exists on Earth today...any living thing...it's 1% of anything that EVER lived here!

Seriously mate...shut the shell up.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Ok, so this MAY get trolled out of hand...

May?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bamccaig said:

it contra[di]cts every practiced religion that I am aware of,

In fairness, wasn't there one involving the earth sitting on an infinite stack of turtles?

gnolam said:

Give me a single example of "perfection".

{"name":"latin+Pretty+Girl1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dda4f901d5dc48d8bc20ed7d635fd846.jpg","w":267,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dda4f901d5dc48d8bc20ed7d635fd846"}latin+Pretty+Girl1.jpg

video

video

(The final suggestion is a little more serious than the others ;) )

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

bruce perry said:

give me an example of perfection

<then that photo>

Sorry...did I miss something here? Is Bruce Perry up for best replies to ironic posts of the year award??? He's on fire! 8-)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Not sure if Dizzy ...

{"name":"Not+sure+if+forgot+the+rage+face+or+reposted+from+_9981afe0b54c7e9a43593bd50e6f29f1.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/4531690a80cc1dec17cdcc79db94a22f.png","w":603,"h":452,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/4531690a80cc1dec17cdcc79db94a22f"}Not+sure+if+forgot+the+rage+face+or+reposted+from+_9981afe0b54c7e9a43593bd50e6f29f1.png

... likes girl or not.

Thank you ;D I guess I might be slightly unable to sleep at the moment. Of course this may have something to do with the fact that last night I was at work till 2:30 making a convex hull triangulator, and then I stayed even later to play the piano, and then I went shopping too. :-X

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

Seriously, I respect you and all, becuase you're A.cc 'oldskool' but, man, what a weird comment. Perfection? Look at ANYTHING that exists on Earth today...any living thing...it's 1% of anything that EVER lived here!

Um, biology is far from perfect. In fact its all about imperfect. It's how evolution works. Even random mutations play a fair roll in it.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Well Thomas, I have to completely disagree with you, which suprises me.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I am perfect. Nothing else is.

Gnamra
Member #12,503
January 2011

The personal god is complete bullshit, especially the Christian one. I love how he must test his people despite being "all powerful". Is he insecure? Does he not know what his people will do when giving them hard task? Then why call him all powerful. He hasn't done shit for us for 2000 years ever, the sources in the bible are not reliable at all.

Jesus ressurection is bullshit aswell, also surely the great immigration from egypt which is only mentioned in the bible, would be written down somewhere else except the bible? Perhaps I'm being ignorant on the egypt thing, but I cannot remember my history book telling me that a dude named Moses split the sea, defeated the egypts and led the israelites(?) to safety. Also, ressurection seemed like a pretty common thing back in the days aswell.

The bible uses itself as evidence for God, to me that's about as reasonable as using the Narnia books as proof that Narnia is exists.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Narnia is real. I've been there.

Gnamra
Member #12,503
January 2011

Narnia is real. I've been there.

Me too, but only when I smoke weed the greatest plant on earth.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Gnamra said:

Then why call him all powerful.

Who does that?

{"name":"2011-02-02.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/951aeb4c8193a4bc8e4d1a3f85435d64.gif","w":740,"h":250,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/951aeb4c8193a4bc8e4d1a3f85435d64"}2011-02-02.gif

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Gnamra
Member #12,503
January 2011

The bible? I don't know, the Christians boast about it(the ones I've met), and I'm pretty sure it was taught to me at school as well.

Edit: I can remember it being said at church as well. But I can't be arsed to dig through the Bible and check if it says that. So if you want you can disregard that argument.

Also I think one of the things Epicurus said, probably one of his most famous quotes if not the most famous, is pretty solid aswell:

Quote:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

The bible?

Nope.

Gnamra said:

But I can't be arsed to dig through the Bible and check if it says that. So if you want you can disregard that argument.

Aw, you're being reasonable. That's no fun. :'(

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Gnamra
Member #12,503
January 2011

Aw, you're being reasonable. That's no fun.

There's no such thing as fun when religion is involved :P Unless it's one of the cool religions.

Edit: Actually I did dig a bit and found http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+19%3A6&version=KJV

Quote:

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

Though this verse seems to differ from each version of the bible. I guess that in it self is a weak argument against the bible(it being different dependant on the version).

But I'm pretty sure Omnipotent means, as defined by dictionary.com, almighty or infinite power.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Thank God, I made a new track!

Where is the sun?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If you know the word omnipotent and are able to project your meaning of it onto millions of other people ... you might be an A.cc Atheist.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

Well Thomas, I have to completely disagree with you, which suprises me.

I can't see how anyone could think biology is perfect, other than it manages to work ;) there are a crap load of downsides from the way things currently work, but it manages to balance out, at least in the grand scheme (maybe not for an individual or even an individual species).

I guess it depends on your definition of the word "perfect".

I certainly wouldn't use the official definition of the word to describe it.

Quote:

conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type: a perfect sphere; a perfect gentleman.

--

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Apparently, the word "omnipotent" doesn't mean anything at all to people who believe in god. When they say that God is omnipotent, clearly they mean that he can do everything... except for what he can't do. ::)

Go to: