Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ok, so this MAY get trolled out of hand.....BUT

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Ok, so this MAY get trolled out of hand.....BUT
Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

If I knew the answer to life, the universe and everything I'd ask why I know the answer to life, the universe and everything, because I'm human, and I can't help myself.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

If it was left to religious minds ...

Stopped reading here.

I'm judging science based on its own merits, and would say the same comments as an atheist because religion doesn't enter into what I'm saying. Religion and science are also seperate in the discussion Neil and SL were having; neither of their opinions negated the other's. Sorry, but if I wanted to watch people bash an opposing viewpoint that doesn't exist in order to justify their own views, I'll watch American politics.

The whole "science vs. religion" thing just baffles me in general, and posts like yours just make it look stupider and stupider. Bruce Perry offered some nice examples of harmony between science and religion; do they seem that unusual to you?

In the grand scheme of things however, it will continue to evolve till we get our "meaning of life, the universe and everything", or at the very least, an approximation thereof.

Sounds like the nature of things to me. Are we in agreement then?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sounds like the nature of things to me. Are we in agreement then?

Depends if you still claim god is unknowable or completely separate from "Nature". I completely disagree with this type of claim. As if something could be excluded from everything.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Religion and science are also seperate in the discussion Neil and SL were having; neither of their opinions negated the other's.

{"name":"Orly1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/5\/052ea5b8b2db561fd29e23d4d3df2212.jpg","w":400,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/5\/052ea5b8b2db561fd29e23d4d3df2212"}Orly1.jpg

Neil Roy said:

I believe in God though. I feel the evidence of intelligent design can be seen by looking in the mirror, the brain for example and how incredibly complex it is, let alone the rest of the human body.

Neil Roy said:

I just cannot escape the fact that there has to be an all powerful being I label God that designed everything. There is just too much evidence in the human body alone to dismiss.

SiegeLord said:

As a neuroscientist, I find this notion insulting. We will find out how the brain works, and there will be no god.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Depends if you still claim god is unknowable or completely separate from "Nature". I completely disagree with this type of claim. As if something could be excluded from everything.

I don't recall making a claim like that. I do claim that science is a poor or impractical tool in some situations. I think other people have claimed that God is (or can be) outside of nature by definition, ie: supernatural. That's unrelated to my comment, though, as is religion in general. What comment specifically were you disagreeing with?

bamccaig: Did you not read the thread past that point?

{"name":"ya-rly001.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/51fdf338bbbeae69b5c018a2d05c637b.jpg","w":438,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/51fdf338bbbeae69b5c018a2d05c637b"}ya-rly001.jpg

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Bruce Perry offered some nice examples of harmony between science and religion; do they seem that unusual to you?

Cdesign proponentsists.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

bamccaig: yeah, really. Did you not read the thread past that point?

By your count, just how many discussions did Neil Roy and SiegeLord have in this thread? ??? Feel free to mark the boundaries if you would.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

By your count, just how many discussions did Neil Roy and SiegeLord have in this thread?

I only see the one. There was a whole other discussion on that last line you quoted though. Point is I've already answered this, at least (apparently) to their satisfaction. You're kind of late to the party; was there something specific you disagreed with?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I don't recall making a claim like that. I do claim that science is a poor or impractical tool in some situations. I think other people have claimed that God is (or can be) outside of nature by definition, ie: supernatural. That's unrelated to my comment, though, as is religion in general. What comment specifically were you disagreeing with?

I'm not entirely sure how you got onto the topic you got onto to be honest. Who else was talking about science in that way? I was assuming you were more on topic, and trying hard to keep science and theology separate, as if science couldn't possible explain god or any other religion based subjects.

At least as far as science is concerned the nature of the world is the truth of the world. But science is just an infant. You can't expect it to be perfect. The fact that its as good as it is already says a lot.

Now, even if some scientific tests are not ideal tools in some situations, would you not even try? Especially given its likely that those tests are the only option short of torches and pitchforks?

Are you trying to say that, if some tests and theories aren't perfect, that they shouldn't be used at all?

append: Or that since science is evidence based, and their is no evidence for god, that science should keep its nose out of it? Rather than trying to ask questions, and solve problems, it should just sit on its thumbs?

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Now, even if some scientific tests are not ideal tools in some situations, would you not even try? ... Are you trying to say that, if some tests and theories aren't perfect, that they shouldn't be used at all?

Not at all. If you can apply them, go nuts.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Not at all. If you can apply them, go nuts.

That if, does that preclude trying to make new tests?

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Make all the new tests you need.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: