Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ok, so this MAY get trolled out of hand.....BUT

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Ok, so this MAY get trolled out of hand.....BUT
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

weapon_S said:

Pretend there is a picture of an orange, on a table, with a lamp in the background. Most people will say

Hey apple!

You guys want an example of causality without time?

x=3; therefore x²=9.

However, x²=9 doesn't imply x=3, because x could be -3.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

But the light has to hit the orange earlier (timewise) than the table to form a shadow.

Not sure if troll or not. ???
I honestly don't understand what you guys are talking about. There can be logical relationships between entities regardless of time. What's the problem with a logical relationship where the existence and nature of one thing necessitates the existence of another thing? I obviously can't give an example from the universe because it depends on time, but if you're going to say that such relationships are incomprehensible to the human mind, I'm going to say that you're lying because math is full of them. I guess it does not fit the usual definition of casuality, but I'm obviously not talking about the usual form of casuality.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

If you're going to talk about static concepts, then they can't form a universe. Otherwise I'm gonna smash your face with a PI! Just yesterday a hippie threatened to punch me right in the aura.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Annoying as I may be, even I don't get threatened by hippies. :P

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I'm fairly sure I've experienced things disappearing, but not actually seen them disappear. There was a paper clip which was there one moment on the table when I was being interviewed for a maths degree and then a moment later it had disappeared.
The woman interviewing me said "never mind", so it was a shared experience.

Now I know it's me and what happens in my world is of no concern to scientists, but it happened and so for me the idea of a particle appearing or disappearing is not a possibility I can't cope with.

@Spectre : a statement ending with a question mark is generally a question but a question starting with the word surely doesn't require an answer so is a statement.

</rubs collar>

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Atheist view: "So how far back can we reconstruct the beginning?"

Theist view: "It's fucking magic, so don't ask! Anyway, it hurts my head!"

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Atheist view: "So how far back can we reconstruct the beginning?"
Theist view: "It's fucking magic, so don't ask! Anyway, it hurts my head!"

Specterist view: "Who fucking cares?! Future events will kill us before we figure out our beginning."

:P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It's through figuring things out that we even stand a chance in the future :P we could stick our heads in the sand and let ourselves die due to stupidity, or lack of action.

:P

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Specterist view: "Who fucking cares?! Future events will kill us before we figure out our beginning."

Yeah. Who cares about anything at all? Future events will kill you 50 years from now or even sooner. Might as well just drop dead right now. ::)
No? Maybe our imminent death has no direct relation to what we care about after all.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Stas B. said:

Human reasoning assumes that the existence of anything in the universe is necessitated by the nature of something else.

That's about exactly what I meant.

You guys want an example of causality without time?

The "="operator used to freak me out, because I couldn't tell what the computer would do if I told x = 2 * x ;D Now differential equations :-[

Stas B. said:

but I'm obviously not talking about the usual form of casuality.

If you are given only the "still pictures" without any notion of time, the "causality" expressed in those pictures can only be hypothesized.

Wikipedia said:

Casuality may be a misspelling of:

If you're going to talk about static concepts, then they can't form a universe.

Maybe not. If we assume there was "nothing" before "anything", there has to be a process or mechanism that forms "nothing" into "anything". (But if changes shape, it's not nothing(?)) Then however, if there was nothing to begin with, the state we are in now must somehow be equivalent to nothing. Or, you assume that there is a "origin state" that changes from something beyond our comprehension, to the domain that we can perceive, and perhaps then to a state that we cannot perceive[1]. To us that would seem like existence (including time) coming into being from nothing. I'm still pondering on the implications of this last view.

References

1. If we assume time is something local to our universe, then obviously it doesn't happen "as time passes by"
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

{"name":"20120627.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ecf6ee928beca61c749ea87062e429b5.gif","w":576,"h":1578,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ecf6ee928beca61c749ea87062e429b5"}20120627.gif
{"name":"20120627after.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46d47c3e1109490bf7b4e96465dd23d2.gif","w":360,"h":346,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46d47c3e1109490bf7b4e96465dd23d2"}20120627after.gif
(Courtesy of SMBC)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"c73ce8b7-59f3-4a60-87a1-048f53ef912b.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/183abf2d0b74808f29b51f3495e2088c.jpg","w":492,"h":538,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/183abf2d0b74808f29b51f3495e2088c"}c73ce8b7-59f3-4a60-87a1-048f53ef912b.jpg

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Yeah, about that...
{"name":"pastafarian-007.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/4279cf882282a1e8d681308b9df2a63d.jpg","w":460,"h":276,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/4279cf882282a1e8d681308b9df2a63d"}pastafarian-007.jpg

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Who is that supposed to be, and why is he relevant? Tineye couldn't find any duplicates of that image.

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Why isn't there a facepalm "smiley"?

[EDIT]

Test for small images

facepalm.png

nope, still doesn't work

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

What? It's sort of relevant, seeing as the FSM is an atheist parody of religion. :-[

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I meant I should have guessed from the colander (strainer).

[EDIT]

But isn't it sacrilegious? It would prevent you from being touched by his noodly goodness!

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

It's through figuring things out that we even stand a chance in the future :P we could stick our heads in the sand and let ourselves die due to stupidity, or lack of action.:P

Morgan Freeman narration:

The year is 3015 and scientists announced on June 5th that they have discovered the beginning of the universe, man, and that God does exist. On June 8th a mutation in a simple virus starts a plague that wipes out the human population. June 12th a global killer hits the planet and wipes out the remaining life forms. Though they all died at least knowing where their beginning was.

:P :P :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

On June 8th a mutation in a simple virus starts a plague that wipes out the human population. June 12th a global killer hits the planet and wipes out the remaining life forms.

That seems just about as unlikely (wiping out the entire human population, followed in four days by an asteroid?) as anything else in this thread. Oh, well, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance...

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

That seems just about as unlikely (wiping out the entire human population, followed in four days by an asteroid?) as anything else in this thread. Oh, well, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance...

There is no brilliance in this thread to begin with. It is the same bullsh!t that has been batted back and forth in numerous threads. Whether we started everything in the big bang or some supreme being breathing us into creation or if aliens created us, I don't give a sh!t. I'm here now, I won't be here 100 years from now, but the world will be. P!ssing and moaning over the beginning of creation won't solve any future problems and is a complete waste of time. If a scientist proved everything came into existence through the big bang, religions would argue they are just trying to phase out God. If religion proved a supreme being existed, there would be people that would say they are just trying to get more followers for the religions. It will never matter if they give a definitive answer because it will never be taken by all as the accepted answer. This debate and all like them are nothing more than a p!ssing contest.

As for my fictional story, we have movies of zombie outbreaks, alien invasions, plague outbreaks, asteroids, earthquakes, etc. I just chose two plausible topics as doctors have said "It's not a matter of if a pandemic will occur, but rather when it will occur." Scientists have said there are several global killers that we know about and probably thousands we don't know about heading at us right now. My scenario, while obviously fiction, could very well happen. There are tons of scenarios that could happen that have been used to develop stories from.

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Then why don't you GTFO? That would be the only intelligent thing for you to do. Nobody cares what you think about the topic of this discussion. It's amusing me. If it's not amusing you, just go away. ::)

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Stas B. said:

Then why don't you GTFO? That would be the only intelligent thing for you to do. Nobody cares what you think about the topic of this discussion. It's amusing me. If it's not amusing you, just go away. ::)

Once you get your dick out of your ear and quit f*cking your brain you would realize that will never happen. My speciality is complaining and whining and this thread is the best place to do that. Can't believe you even bothered typing that, figured you would know that by now after being here 4 years. :-/

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

I love it how you're so proud of being a useless dick.

{"name":"Joker.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/8782eb21dba3ebf62621d785b0949309.gif","w":390,"h":269,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/8782eb21dba3ebf62621d785b0949309"}Joker.gif

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Aaaaaand we're done.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: