Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2011

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2011
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You guys are actually worrying about clean code on a hack competition? :o

I guess bambam ain't playing my game then. :P At the moment I'm just struggling with level design... it's kinda hard to make levels when you're barely able to beat them yourself.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I think the ability to write clean code under pressure is a worthy thing to strive for >.>.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I even document my code :). For my own sake however, which might tell you something about how clean the code really is.

Anyway, basic gameplay is basically done. Now for some tweaking to make it more challenging.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Dario ff said:

Regarding the site, what's the date we get to know who is our recipient? Was it the 22th, or 23th?

Umm, the 25th? Should you know before then? :o

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

BAF said:

Umm, the 25th? Should you know before then?

Well in XMas hack '09 I learned it the 20th. But that was because it started on the 15th(2-3 days earlier).

From the user logs:
{"name":"605265","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/c\/fcbc2fcc90ce86327b962b789b2c84f6.png","w":558,"h":187,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/c\/fcbc2fcc90ce86327b962b789b2c84f6"}605265

I think tomorrow(22nd) would be the day then. Not that it really matters anyway, but it was a nice touch. :P It appeared on the "Your task" tab I think. It was an optional button like, "Reveal my recipient!"

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

You're right, it was an option. But remember that SantaHack Is Not ChristmasHack.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

S.I.N.C.H.?

I've managed to find some moderately okay graphics for placeholders, but it wasn't easy, and Google Images only helped so much. Still working on mechanics and gameplay. 2 days and 7 1/2 hours to go! Might have to pull an all nighter tomorrow...

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

GrINCH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I must confess that I have basically done nothing so far... :( The good (?) news is that tomorrow is my last day of j0rb for about a week. That should give me a full day to work on Santahack and if necessary I can probably drink a lot of coffee and stay up all night/morning. I currently have two plans:

• Plan A: Develop a platformer that is rendered in text-only using ncurses (or equivalent). This sounds like a very neat idea to me for two reasons: I love text, and working from the console, and it would be great to have more games that can be played without any graphical environment whatsoever; and being a programmer with poor artistic skills it has a lot of potential because it should be easier to get something that looks have decent designed in plain text versus trying to lay pixels with a mouse cursor. That said, there are a lot of uncertainties/variables that I haven't accounted for yet. For example, will virtual terminals and terminal emulators be fast enough for the fluid motion required by a platformer, and will there be sufficient resolution on the lowest common denominator to achieve an interpretable scene and still allow the player sufficient control to enjoy themselves?

• Plan B: Hack up some very simple sprites, look up some collision detection and resolution tutorials, and hack away at a simple graphical platformer until it resembles something that might pass for a game if I get everybody drunk first...

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I'm done. I don't have anymore time to spare and further development would only be refinement and polishing. I'm surprised how fun my little game turned out to be in the end, which was entirely accidental. It's quite challenging too!

Good luck to the rest of you!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I've had quite a few setbacks, I'm concerned I may not finish and/or my end result won't be substantial.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Speedhack is better because we get these excuses after five minutes. With this Santahack thing we have to wait days. :-X

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I lied. I had some more time and implemented three more game modes. The only thing missing is allowing for playing the game in scaled fullscreen. Then I'm done. For real.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

At last I'm done with those finals. Now I finally got time to start working. :P

I went for a 28 level mark, but if I come up with new ideas I'll add more in the middle.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

My game is beginning to come together. Now I need to make a Santa sprite to replace my ugly MS-paint filler image...

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I have no graphics at all, not even Paint ones. Don't know if I'll be able to have an entry worth submitting.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Dario ff said:

Did he let you use his space ship?

No, but I must say it looks very impressive (if not a little forlorn).

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

No, but I must say it looks very impressive (if not a little forlorn).

forlorn as in never used?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I just realised the 23th is actually the last day of the compo, since 12:00 UTC on the 24th for me is early morning. :o

Gotta work on a menu and the final level. :P It's kind of a sloppy game but I like the concept. Good luck to everyone on the final stretch!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

My game is in my head and it is AWESOME! You should see it. If this contest had winners I would win hands down! I have to go take my medicines now, go back to my padded room, and put on my hugging coat again. * solders off*

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Stupid mistakes all the time! Why can't I code? I have no routine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Go to: