Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2011

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2011
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Alrightie, I made a game. Turned 'er in.

Not the original idea I started with. I ended up scrapping everything and making a new game this morning. :-/ It's not as thorough of a game as I'd like to have made, it only has two gameplay modes, but it works and it's tricky, as requested. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I fixed the cross-platform line problems and resubmitted my entry. Now it seems to compile & run just fine at my Linux VM(Had to redownload vmware, a new Windows Installer, AND install the tools over again). The wonders of Allegro. :o

Thanks for all the help, and good luck to the rest. :)

EDIT: I hope ML isn't secretly playing my game. >:(

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Dario ff said:

EDIT: I hope ML isn't secretly playing my game. >:(

I'm not. I sold its rights to a publishing company and have retired off of the profits. :o

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Was sick all week and had to work 9 hour days too, so if I got your name...sorry, but I didn't get anything accomplished. :( I had an awesome idea, and a lot of graphics ready...but never could get a minute where I could actually concentrate. I hate feeling like this, my head all cloudy and dizzy. :( Again, sorry I didn't finish your game...wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Whenever I try to submit mine I get Error 500...

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I'm not going to finish mine either for santahack, I might just finish it later though.
I did expect this would happen, I'm really slow at doing anything, no matter what it is that I'm doing. And programming is no exception.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I haven't even had time to start coding yet. :o

I better get hacking at some point. :-X

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I haven't gotten anything done for Santahack and I'm too tired to make an attempt in the 10 hours remaining (I didn't get much sleep last night, despite not making progress on Santahack). I will hopefully be sleeping for most of those hours. >:( Sorry to whoever I ended up with. :) Merry Christmas or whatever your culture's season greeting is. :-/ I'm on holidays all next week and I rather like the idea of a console-based platformer, so I might try experimenting with a curses library and see if I can get something working. :)

In other news, this past week wasn't completely unproductive. I did manage to hack up an IRC bot, which is currently a regular in #allegro on freenode. :) The code, as usual, is GPL'd and tracked on GitHub:

https://github.com/bamccaig/bambot/
git://github.com/bamccaig/bambot.git/

Hacked up virtually from scratch with Perl.

8-)

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

I was sick for a couple days, so nothing got done then. I'm still on schedule to complete my game, but I'll have to pare it down a bit.

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Had to pull an allnighter for this one... but I submitted something! Will be away for the next few days, so hopefully Linux users who want to try out my game (once it becomes public) will manage the uber-complicated install process (at least it's not Python3 though).

Incidentally... I don't see my uploaded files at the santahack website... is that normal?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

SiegeLord said:

Incidentally... I don't see my uploaded files at the santahack website... is that normal?

I hope it's normal as it doesn't show me the file either. It did say that it was saved though :D

One more thing, Do you only included the data files and source? If not I've got 2 hours from now to shrink it.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Mark Oates' avatar changes are sneak peeks at concept art? ;)

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I will definitely develop my idea further into a proper game next year. I have even more ideas I'd like to implement, with different game modes, levels and a more suitable story, perhaps even some of those achievements and unlockables that seem so popular nowadays. :)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dario ff said:

Mark Oates' avatar changes are sneak peeks at concept art? ;)

mmaaayyyybeeee....

But I think it looks better as a teaser than in the actual gameplay :P

The previous avatar was from the concept that got scrapped. Too bad, cause it had a tohtally wicked sick storyline. 8-)

I see your avatar has changed as well. *mischievous chin stroke*

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I managed to submit something, but it's not finished. I'll be trying to at least add a final boss and some sound effects in the next few days though. Right now all you can do is play the first half of the single level until you enter the unfinished second half.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

SiegeLord said:

Yeah, I probably should have given some indication of a successful upload. If you selected the file and hit save, and got a 'saved' message, then your file is on the server.

bamccaig said:

Yes. It's normal for a .NET-based Web site to malfunction repeatedly.

Cool story bro. It's not .NET based though. Who the fuck uses ASP?

One more thing, Do you only included the data files and source? If not I've got 2 hours from now to shrink it.

It's a little late now, but in the source pack, you include everything you need to compile and run the game (which means source, data, any libraries not publicly available, etc). The game pack zip is where you can include a binary if you want.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

perhaps even some of those achievements and unlockables that seem so popular nowadays.

Mine has an achievement:
{"name":"605281","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ecc0cb4bccf65c196a07fac43465632d.png","w":400,"h":73,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ecc0cb4bccf65c196a07fac43465632d"}605281

BAF said:

It's a little late now, but in the source pack, you include everything you need to compile and run the game (which means source, data, any libraries not publicly available, etc). The game pack zip is where you can include a binary if you want.

I didn't include the music in the source pack because of the file size, but it's on the Game Pack as an option. The graphics are already barely below the 2mb limit considering they're made for 1920x1080 max as native res. :P

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Ah crap, I slept through the deadline without submitting anything! :-[

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If you want to know who you made a game for (or let down :-X), check the task page. I just updated the site, and that was one of the updates.

I've got a few improvements in the queue for next year (including better feedback on the submission page); time constraints took over this year, unfortunately (the site was created in a JIT fashion; with me adding the necessary functionality hours before that phase of the competition. :P).

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

My upload contains everything needed to compile and all data :D

Append: ;D, Just found out who I made a game for XD.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

My recipient is exactly who I thought it was. ;D The OS and the specs were an obvious giveaway. :P

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Quote:

next year

:o

Thanks to BAF for organizing this!

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

BAF said:

I've got a few improvements in the queue for next year (including better feedback on the submission page); time constraints took over this year, unfortunately (the site was created in a JIT fashion; with me adding the necessary functionality hours before that phase of the competition. :P).

blah blah blah.

You did a great job. There's no excuse for that. ;)

*applauses for baffles*

--

Go to: