Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2011

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2011
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

So if I understand the date right, only 3 hours left to receive our gifts?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Got Desmond's game, because the one who got my wishlist didn't submit anything. Seems I'll never get my hockey table game. :(

Btw, merry christmas SiegeLord, hope you enjoy my entry. :D

video

EDIT: Desmond, I had to take out <array> from the header to compile, because I don't have that apparently. Otherwise it ran fine. It's a bit stuttery tho because of the apparent lack of vsync. Simple entry, won on the first try without losing any lives. :) I dig that music.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Thanks for the game, Edgar. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

What is it? I'm curious about the pseudo-3D. Screens please. 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates said:

Thanks for the game, Edgar. :)

Yo, bro. ;)

Dario ff said:

...pseudo-3D. Screens please.

{"name":"605282","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/238210b65d24ad7519d2bf7f95e93640.jpg","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/238210b65d24ad7519d2bf7f95e93640"}605282

It's very much a WIP, didn't have enough time to implement everything I wanted to, but I'll keep working on it over the next few weeks.

Just found out - don't let it run too long - the zombies come faster and faster and they will eat up every last bit of your memory and put you in swap hell... :-X

Edit
Thanks to Siegelord I get to try out CortexTerror. I will try it out soon...
Sorry to my secret santa if my wishes were too hard. :-[

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Dario ff said:

Btw, merry christmas SiegeLord, hope you enjoy my entry. :D

:o:o:o I finally got a secret santa that completed my gift! I can't wait to play it (might not be for a little while though). Still...

Dario ff said:

And I think I already know who my recipient is. :P

Dario ff said:

My recipient is exactly who I thought it was. ;D The OS and the specs were an obvious giveaway. :P

How???? I usually put Windows as my platform of choice, but this time I put Linux in hopes I'd get someone skilled to do it for me >.>. There really should be ability to choose multiple platforms that you can test on, just like the choice for the development platform.

Otherwise it complained about not being able to load the ogg tracks. My release library does have ogg support, but it could just be due to something I broke while hacking on Allegro.

Yes! I had the same issue a day ago. The debug library works, but the release one doesn't. I blame the compiler... but I haven't debugged it enough yet (I encountered it at 6 am after pulling an allnighter). Putting a printf inside the DLL loading code in ogg.c fixed it for me though :-/.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Dario ff said:

Desmond, I had to take out <array> from the header to compile, because I don't have that apparently. Otherwise it ran fine. It's a bit stuttery tho because of the apparent lack of vsync. Simple entry, won on the first try without losing any lives. I dig that music.

Yea I forgot to take that out :P The array.h was going to be used for something I didn't have time to add. Music I can do a lot better than Sprites XD.

@ Mark Oates.
I can't seem to compile your game as I don't have MSVC :P I did try code::blocks but get a ton of errors. Could you please compile it for me :D. Oh and since it's not released till tomorrow either inbox me or post it on here tomorrow :P

I looked at the data folder and it looks to be fun already :D

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

SiegeLord said:

Yes! I had the same issue a day ago. The debug library works, but the release one doesn't. I blame the compiler... but I haven't debugged it enough yet (I encountered it at 6 am after pulling an allnighter). Putting a printf inside the DLL loading code in ogg.c fixed it for me though :-/.

My Ubuntu VM with Allegro 5.0.3(from the time we did SpeedHack 2011), didn't complain at all about ogg loading using the release library.

Quote:

How???? I usually put Windows as my platform of choice, but this time I put Linux in hopes I'd get someone skilled to do it for me >.>

Well I saw mid-end Linux, and I thought, it was either Elias[1] I think, or SiegeLord. But then I saw the tasks, a GOD game with first choice of animals, elephants! Elias wouldn't be so obvious, but your last entry on SpeedHack was a game with elephants. 8-)

EDIT: I know the first 9 or so level of the game are kind of a chore, but starting from 10 it starts to get way more interesting.

References

1. which I'm not really sure til now if it was a Linux machine in fact

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

inbox me

PM'd :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I can't get Elias' game to run. I tried it both on my shitty PC laptop (running Windows XP) where it crashed, and through Wine on my Mac where it also crashed. I tried to get it to compile on my computer but I haven't gotten around to install Allegro 5.1 yet. :'(

In my head it's a lot of fun though! :)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

When I received my gift I only saw the option to download the source pack. Will the game pack appear there as well? ??? Because for my game it actually includes the music in the game pack only, so I'd rather SiegeLord to download and compile that instead(it includes the same source and makefile). I guess Desmond just uploaded the source package, so that's why I see only one option?

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I didn't submit anything. Looks like I can't get past writing crappy entries with primitive graphics (literally; circles, rectangles, etc.), primitive collision detection and primitive gameplay.

I feel kinda bad when I see that some of you guys can complete some solid entries having probably less time to work on them like, for example, Dario in this SantaHack (even though at 1920x1080 I won't be able to try his entry on my machine). And by the way:

Dario ff said:

Seems I'll never get my hockey table game. :(

Sorry, that was my task.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to play all entries as soon as I have time.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

even though at 1920x1080 I won't be able to try his entry on my machine

It downscales to any resolution you want, and I made sure this time it didn't include any textures bigger than 1024x1024 so it worked on your system. :P

Quote:

Sorry, that was my task.

Don't worry. I did propose that one since I thought it was simple enough to make in 7 days and give it an interesting twist. But I wouldn't expect you to have much time to focus on this time of the year.

At least we have all day long today to get even more stuffed with food and drink. 8-)

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Dario ff said:

It downscales to any resolution you want, and I made sure this time it didn't include any textures bigger than 1024x1024 so it worked on your system. :P

Oh, sweet!.

Quote:

I thought it was simple enough to make in 7 days

So did I. It even was one of the wishes that I voted high as in "I hope to get this one 'cause it's easy to do".

I just checked my gift from perplex. Even though it's not finished, this line made my Christmas:

Quote:

U can't kill and can't be killed, what an awesome game ;)

Who knows? With a little more work it may even be somewhat fun.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Who's the guy who wanted "Tetris with a twist"? :P

--

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I've messaged you again Mark. Still no luck on getting it to work :/ I might have to download MSVC and compile it.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I didn't manage to send anything in time and it seems I didn't receive anything either. Fair enough. But I do have a great game coming up, late, though. :P

Anyway, I owe someone for this nice little idea of a game. Should I just send him the game as soon as it's playable or should I go public with it straight away?

I still use A4. I have too much stuff for A4 and nothing at all for A5. Most of all I feel very dependent on a proper customisable GUI, like the GUI of A4. One of the many things that made me miss the deadline was struggling with 32 bit rgba sprites, creating them and getting the alpha mask there. TFM is not very clear on that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Woot 8 entries. Trying them out now. :D

EDIT: Edgar, the alpha channel in your entry seems borked up. It just shows garbage around the sprites. :'(

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Dario ff said:

When I received my gift I only saw the option to download the source pack. Will the game pack appear there as well?

Nope, you only get a gamepack if the person uploaded one. :-X

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Dario ff said:

EDIT: Edgar, the alpha channel in your entry seems borked up. It just shows garbage around the sprites

Huh? Show me. It doesn't look like the screenie I posted earlier? I know my image editing skills aren't perfect, but there was only a small border left showing in my version. It's hard to see which pixels should be removed. I'll have to overlay it over a black background over something to see them better.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

The garbage looks like stuff that's been rendered previously(In fact one of those looks like Elias' main player sprite). GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 6870.

{"name":"605308","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d8bec59711bd454981455b1becc024ce.png","w":802,"h":577,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d8bec59711bd454981455b1becc024ce"}605308

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Looks like uninitialized video memory to me... It's probably because I didn't set an overwrite blender before scaling the zombie images, or because I didn't clear the background first. Funny it doesn't show up on my machine, but I'll have it fixed soon.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: