Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The debt ceiling

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The debt ceiling
Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

If a sales tax covers services as well as physical things? Isn't that the tax on money spent? I only asked the question, because of the theory of only taxing people on what they use, not on income.

As an Australian reading this thread, (we are a basic welfare state.) I get the impression that many Americans view welfare as charity. They would rather get an itemised bill of tax requirement and how that money was used, and a form to say which uses they approved or disapproved of.

Here, when you work, your boss is required to invest into a super fund, you can make your own investments into it, and the government will put money into it (from your own tax) in the understanding that you will support yourself. If you get to aged, and you have no money, they give you the bare minimum to survive, and expect your family and community to support you.

I don't know how balanced the views in this thread are, they seem to be polar opposites of each other. You can never tell if its vocal minorities arguing, or if people are that one sided on issues.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Timorg said:

If a sales tax covers services as well as physical things? Isn't that the tax on money spent? I only asked the question, because of the theory of only taxing people on what they use, not on income.

Well the GST here is a Goods and Services tax, with an exemption on groceries and other similar things.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Just for comparison, here is the basic Swedish tax system;

Your employer pays 30% of your "listed income" to the state.
Then you pay another 29-32% (depending on where you live) of your listed income as your income tax (the first 18000 SEK or so is not taxed, roughly $2800).

Any income over 372100 SEK is taxed an extra 20%, and over 532700 SEK a further 5%.

All numbers are yearly.

We also have a VAT (or whatever the correct term is) on goods and services at between 10% and 25% (most are at 25%). Groceries and "culture" is on the lower end of the spectrum.

I don't really mind paying taxes, but it's a TAD much in Sweden.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

You're right, the GTS essentially is a tax on money spent. As I understand it, the point is not really that it's a good idea to tax money spent, but rather its much harder to find tax loopholes if all money spent is being taxed.

-----------

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It'll be neat when we get a flood of demands from our debt overlord lenders.

But they're highly dependent on the US which buys all their stuff!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Timorg said:

Labor generally isn't taxed, although it might be depending on the state and the circumstances. I think consumption / usage taxes are preferable to income tax, but the problem is governments ultimately collect both.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

With all the talk of "needing more growth," is anybody concerned that we are already consuming (and producing) too much? I don't think it's very healthy for a country to be constantly flooded with propaganda encouraging more consumption and materialism.

I think consumption / usage taxes are preferable to income tax

Wouldn't that encourage the government to promote a culture where people consume more?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I don't know if that's possible, Mark. A capitalist economy requires constant growth in order to maintain stability(or perhaps stagnant or declining population if one wants to slow down or stop economic growth).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Wouldn't that encourage the government to promote a culture where people consume more?

People would be more likely to save and invest money than spend it on crap they don't need, since that's how you would avoid paying taxes. That's not a bad thing though, IMO. Ultimately people are still going to buy things because there's no sense in having money if you never use it.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

But they're highly dependent on the US which buys all their stuff!

And walmart jobs are the king of this nation, its good to be productive for the elite (in China).

Go to: