Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The debt ceiling

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The debt ceiling
Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

raynebc said:

I certainly am not in the upper wealth class, I just don't believe in forced charity. I believe in everybody pulling their own weight to maintain the country and its services. To me, "fair share" is everybody paying the same relative tax rate (a percentage), not people paying a disproportionately higher amount of taxes just because they earn more revenue.

The thing is, if someone earns more money, then a they will have a disproportionally higher discretionary income. For that reason alone I think it makes sense for the tax rate to be higher - and you can think of it as being a flat rate on discretionary income if you like. The full story is a lot more complicated that just that; I just think that's one good reason for a variable tax rate.

Another way of looking at it is that each dollar of money is worth less to people who have a lot of money, compared to people who have very little money.

-----------

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The thing is, if someone earns more money, then a they will have a disproportionally higher discretionary income.

If the extra income is going to be taxed away, why would they bother making more money? Or even part of it, since the ratio of effort to income would presumably have diminishing returns like most things.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

If the extra income is going to be taxed away, why would they bother making more money? Or even part of it, since the ratio of effort to income would presumably have diminishing returns like most things.

Income is what is being taxed. So more income is still more money regardless of what the tax rate is - the incentive might be slightly reduced, but it will still be there. It may be slightly harder to become ridiculously rich, but if people still want to be rich, then they will still be doing the same things. Do you think that having a higher tax rate would make people not want to be rich? (I'm not a tax expert, or an economics expert; so I apologise if I'm getting wrong.)

-----------

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

One of these brass oldies is a phrase that has been a perennial favorite of the left, "tax cuts for the rich." How long ago was this refuted? More than 80 years ago, the "tax cuts for the rich" argument was refuted, both in theory and in practice, by Andrew Mellon, who was Secretary of the Treasury in the 1920s.

Then as now, there were people who failed to make the distinction between tax rates and tax revenues. Mellon said, "It seems difficult for some to understand that high rates of taxation do not necessarily mean large revenue for the Government, and that more revenue may often be obtained by lower rates."

[1]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

If the extra income is going to be taxed away, why would they bother making more money?

Well, not ALL of it obviously. ::)

Quote:

Or even part of it, since the ratio of effort to income would presumably have diminishing returns like most things.

Mo' money == mo' money. The people this would apply to are millionaires and billionaires; they'll be fine.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Or you could say that a high tax rate is an incentive to make more money because you need to make more to take home more. :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Money is power. With great power (money) comes great responsibility. Paying your taxes is taking care of your responsibilities to society. I agree with Karadoc.

Having those who make the most contribute the most is just common sense. Even if they pay a higher tax rate than everyone else, they are still making more than everyone else so what's the big deal? I don't see why rich people are more special than other people, they just happened to have more resources to begin with. It takes money to make money. The rich get richer, and the poor stay poor because of it.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The rich get richer, and the poor stay poor because of it.

So you think the economy is a zero-sum game? Make your own car then. From scratch.

[EDIT]

And what about that reference I posted? Your wishful thinking trumps history or what?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

So you think the economy is a zero-sum game? Make your own car then. From scratch.

Zero sum? I don't know what you're talking about. I'm talking about distribution of wealth, and it is disproportionate. I couldn't make my own car, I don't have the capital to build a factory, much less even order all the parts I would need. So you just proved my point - it takes money to make money, so the distribution of wealth just gets farther and farther apart when considering the distance between the rich and the poor.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Zero sum? I don't know what you're talking about.

It's rather obvious you don't know much about economics, but wouldn't you agree that if you had to make your own car and the auto worker had to write his own programs you'd be much worse off than you are now? Henry Ford didn't have a factory to make his first car.

http://everydayecon.wordpress.com/2006/10/11/economics-is-not-a-zero-sum-game/

[EDIT]

The desire to work is disproportionate as well. Let's make everybody work the same if they're going to make the same amount of money. Too bad that leaves out designing car engines, writing computer programs and managing corporations, since those are worth more than flipping burgers. And before you object, "golden parachutes" for CEO's aren't the fault of capitalism or economics.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Another way of looking at it is that each dollar of money is worth less to people who have a lot of money, compared to people who have very little money.

"Because they can afford to pay more taxes" is not what I consider a valid reason to charge some people more taxes, it's a rationale for the government to bleed more money from the citizens.

Paying your taxes is taking care of your responsibilities to society.

I disagree with this. It is not one stranger's responsibility to financially care for another stranger. Paying less in taxes and then using that savings to invest more in the local economy is what we should want. When American businesses feel like they're being taxed too much, they move outside the country, and it hurts the USA. Seems like a pattern to me.

Edgar Reynaldo said:

Having those who make the most contribute the most is just common sense. Even if they pay a higher tax rate than everyone else, they are still making more than everyone else so what's the big deal? I don't see why rich people are more special than other people, they just happened to have more resources to begin with. It takes money to make money. The rich get richer, and the poor stay poor because of it.

It's not common sense, it's an excuse for charging some people a higher rate than others. Charging everybody the same rate is the closest thing that could be universally agreed to be "fair", doing otherwise is treating some people "specially". It's not as if every rich person was born rich. Some people started with little and became rich with good fortune, habits, ideas, investments, etc. One person being successful does not prevent another from being unsuccessful. There are many other factors involved.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

At what point did I say that workers should work at jobs they are unskilled at? That doesn't make any sense.

Henry Ford didn't have a factory to make his first car.

No, but he had to at least have the materials and equipment necessary to put one together. That's called capital. Rich people have it, poor people don't.

raynebc said:

I disagree with this. It is not one stranger's responsibility to financially care for another stranger. Paying less in taxes and then using that savings to invest more in the local economy is what we should want. When American businesses feel like they're being taxed too much, they move outside the country, and it hurts the USA. Seems like a pattern to me.

So you think no one should pay taxes at all then? Okay, so who do we convince to build our roads for free? Or our schools, or our sewers, or anything else that the government takes care of for the public good?

Businesses are leaving the country because poor countries are so desperate to have jobs they'll accept deficient wages, and so the businesses can squeeze even more profit out of people.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

No, but he had to at least have the materials and equipment necessary to put one together. That's called capital. Rich people have it, poor people don't.

Nowhere in the wikipedia article do I see any indication that he was born rich or that some other rich person helped him through some misguided sense of charity. He worked and saved and innovated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_ford#Early_years

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

raynebc said:

Charging everybody the same rate is the closest thing that could be universally agreed to be "fair"

To be "fair," people would only pay for the services they use. End of story.

Taking money from the rich, even if at the same percentage of the middle class, and giving the money to someone else is not "fair" to the rich person. It's not "fair" to be born to a poor family in the ghetto. That person is at a distinct disadvantage to somebody born to a rich family.

It's all about finding the greatest good for all of the nation. If you tax the rich too much, then they may find ways to lower their income (legal or not). If you tax them too little, then the poor people are unnecessarily left out in the cold.

There's a happy medium somewhere between the two, and it has nothing to do with using the same tax rate for all people.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Why does discussing politics cause people to discard logic? And why do we let that phenomenon be responsible for how our government works?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

raynebc said:

"Because they can afford to pay more taxes" is not what I consider a valid reason to charge some people more taxes, it's a rationale for the government to bleed more money from the citizens.

It's more subtle that just being able to afford it. Let me give a silly little example: parking fines. In many countries parking fines are a flat fee. If you park your car where you aren't meant to, you have to pay X dollars. For an ordinary person X dollars might be a serious inconvenience, but for a rich person X dollars is pretty small. Thus rich people (and organisations) can pay for the right to park their car wherever they like. The cost of the parking fine is the same in terms of dollars, but there is some measure of value for which the parking fine is cheaper for the rich person. The key point is that the same money is more valuable to the poor person than to the rich person. If you want to have a flat tax rate based on that kind of value, then the rate based on dollars should be higher for higher incomes.

And what about that reference I posted? Your wishful thinking trumps history or what?

I'm pretty sure that we all understand the distinction between tax rates and tax revenues. And although "more revenue may often be obtained by lower rates", that doesn't mean "more revenue may always be obtained by lower rates". Presumably there is some kind of optimum. I don't know what the optimum tax rates are, but I suspect it is not optimal to have a flat rate for all citizens.

-----------

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Let's make everybody work the same if they're going to make the same amount of money.

No. Because it's stupid. And no one suggested it.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

OK, to be "fair", consider some level of income as "survival" level, say, $10,000.00 US. I've lived off that (or less) for the last 35 years without whining for govt. handouts (although there were a few unpaid debts along the way).

Now count that as "zero" and tax some set amount above that at a set rate, maybe 10% (hey, it's good enough for the church). So someone making $100K a year would pay $9000 a year.

Of course this doesn't take into account the fact that different areas of the US don't have wildly different costs of living just to get by.

[EDIT]

No. Because it's stupid. And no one suggested it.

Wanting the government to give lazy bums everybody elses money is stupid too, but it's quite attractive for the bums.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

furinkan said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you aren't in the top 1%, so why do you care?

That's a silly argument. Personally I try to vote for what I consider correct and just, not what I would gain the most from. It's about sustainability. If you bleed the richest people dry, they would find ways to prevent it altogether (moving their money/themselves to another country for example), leaving you with far less money than what you started with. Thankfully, politicians are painfully aware of this.

When I discuss politics with friends the subject of "fairness" is invariably brought up, indicating that their view of fairness is the universally correct one. The truth is that fairness is a very subjective issue, and a law that is "fair" in one way is usually "unfair" in another. I think we should try to strive for a balance that gives the most benefit to the most number of people, while at the same time treating everyone as equals (Eg; generic and simple rules with less special cases). Easier said than done, certainly.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

It may be slightly harder to become ridiculously rich, but if people still want to be rich, then they will still be doing the same things. Do you think that having a higher tax rate would make people not want to be rich?

It makes people avoid riskier business deals and focus on avoiding losses. Here's a simple explanation:

If I lose money, I lose 100% of it.
If I gain money, I gain 60% of it.

The result is less investment in longer term stuff, less investment in crazier ideas and a general movement towards lethargy. There is a clear and obvious example of the effects of this sort (ie. messing with time based volatility): Go to a city with rent control. Every building is unmaintained and crappy, landlords don't invest in making them nice. The paint is peeling, they're never remodeled, the facets are old, the elevators are old etc.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If I lose money, I lose 100% of it.
If I gain money, I gain 60% of it.

Those percentages are not talking about the same thing ... it's almost meaningless to use them like that. If you gain money (a lot of money), you gain 60% of the profits. That could be 200% of your investment.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Go to a city without rent control. Every building is unmaintained and crappy, landlords don't invest in making them nice. The paint is peeling, they're never remodeled, the facets are old, the elevators are old etc.

FTFY.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Those percentages are not talking about the same thing ... it's almost meaningless to use them like that. If you gain money (a lot of money), you gain 60% of the profits. That could be 200% of your investment.

Its not my point and I've articulated it poorly, let me quote him directly.

Quote:

When a corporation loses a hundred cents of every dollar it loses, and is permitted to keep only 60 cents of every dollar it gains, and when it cannot offset its years of losses against its years of gains, or cannot do so adequately, its policies are affected. It does not expand its operations, or it expands only those attended with a minimum of risk. People who recognize this situation are deterred from starting new enterprises. Thus old employers do not give more employment, or not as much more as they might have; and others decide not to become employers at all. Improved machinery and better-equipped factories come into existence much more slowly than they otherwise would. The result in the long run is that consumers are prevented from getting better and cheaper products, and that real wages are held down.

[1]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think that's a very narrow view, Dustin. Sure, less money = less black to play with. However, doing business is still better than not doing business. You still make more money. 60% of something is more than 100% of nothing. It isn't necessarily good to invest in risky opportunities, but then those are always a gamble so I don't see what taxes have to do with it. ::) If you lose you lose no matter what. If you gain you gain no matter what. You might gain less if some of it is going towards taxes, but those taxes are responsible for maintaining necessary parts of the system all around you that you depend on... :-/

I think business should absolutely be taxed and only small businesses that actually struggle should get any exemptions or breaks. Certainly corporations that are dealing in 6+ figures should get no breaks whatsomotherfuckingever.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

I think business should absolutely be taxed and only small businesses that actually struggle should get an exemptions.

So you support double taxation, i.e. taxes on the business as well as taxes on the shareholders?

Go to: