Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Wireless router questions from a n00b

Credits go to Matthew Leverton, MiquelFire, Thomas Fjellstrom, and van_houtte for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Wireless router questions from a n00b
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've been running this computer on a cable modem connected by a short Ethernet cable for about a year now. Now I have a couple of roomies who want to share the connection via wireless. Could we swap out the cable modem for a wireless broadcaster type thing that wouldn't actually have physical connections to any computer or does one computer have to be on 24/7? How reliable/fast is this wireless stuff? The ISP (Charter) web site has a page supposedly about wireless but the page just says it has some special software and how great it is to bundle TV and telephone in the same package.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Just plug a wireless router into the cable modem. Plug your computer into the router. (Your computer doesn't have to be on.) Your roommates can use the WiFi.

If you have the router clone your MAC address before you hook it up to the cable modem, your ISP won't even know anything has changed.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Ah! Thank you! I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else has anything to say before I hand out the cookies.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I don't have any way to tell if anything has changed. I grew up on the east coast (Canada) and there was more snow than air in the winter. Where I live now we get a few small snowfalls a year. And I'm in the Rockies. You'd figure it would snow more where everyone skies but apparently it only snows at the higher elevations around here. Temperature wise, it's very mild here too most of the time, though I would wager it used to be colder here in the winter, based on living here about 10 years and a few years in Calgary 100KM from here.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Uh... ok

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Trent... Dude... You posted in the wrong thread... Search for the "winter" thread, remember, the "winter" thread...

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

How did this happen. I blame AMCerasoli. Carry on.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

ISPs nowadays provide router/modem combos that do the whole deal. Since you mention you already have a cable modem that provides you an ethernet port, just buy any wifi router in the 30-60$ range. I prefer linksys devices for home routing.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

How did this happen. I blame AMCerasoli. Carry on.

hahaha, nah man... Now you gonna have to post something about a router in the "winter" thread to balance things up... ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

ISPs nowadays provide router/modem combos that do the whole deal.

And they all suck. But otherwise I agree. Get a decent Wifi router and be done with it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I have a combo modem/router (and VoiP and Digital TV over Coax) but because I had a crazy DD-WRT, I just disabled the WiFi on the ISP router and use my own.

Currently, my DD-WRT is the only way I know how much bandwidth I use a month right now...

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

OK thanks!

[EDIT]

Well, they called the ISP and asked about this, and were told that if a router we bought destroyed the cable modem, we'd have to pay for the cable modem, but with their router, the cable modem is under warranty or some such. It doesn't really matter, since I plan on moving out in the next couple of months to avoid the 80 decibel drama at all hours anyway.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That just sounds like they're trying to hustle you. I see no reason why a wireless router would possibly damage the modem (aside from maybe catastrophic failure, like a fire). I'd just tell them to go fuck themselves. :-/

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm overruled by majority vote. I know you guys don't have a vested interest, but we're talking average Americans here.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I meant the ISP, not your roommates. :) Get a cheap wireless router (or make your roommates get it if they're the ones that are going to use it) and be done with it. Should be easy to setup and there's no reason it shouldn't work (I guess do the MAC cloning ML suggested if your ISP would affect service based on the device connected to the modem, but I don't imagine they'd care...).

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

"The experts" told them it was better, therefore we're going to do it that way. I'm also selling all my auto repair tools for the same reason, no use doing things at a cut rate to get the business only to have Joe Sixpack tell the customer that "it's not how daddy fixed it".

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

If you still have a pc that connects through ethernet, you'll want a wired/wireless router. Or a wireless card for the pc. The cable company is trying to hustle you on thier router. I had several of my own without a problem. We replaced the modem once, most likely due to age. Trent, I think global warming caused you to post in the wrong thread.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I found out the cable company will be by Thursday with the new router for the low, low price of $15 per month forever. I guess this is like buying a new router or cable modem every 4 months.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

But if it breaks, they'll replace it for free.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

So if I broke something every 4 months I'd be just as well off? How about I don't break it?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

How about you call your ISP and tell them to go fuck themselves because you've discovered that <insert_other_one_here> is way better? >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its not really his ISP, and I don't think he cares.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

if you dont feel comfortable with all the networking equipment being suggested i highly recommend you follow your ISP's recommendation as they will be the ones providing you and your room mates live phone support when things go wrong, not us.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They'll pull a yves and say they don't support Linux.

1   2 

Go to: