This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
minecraft
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

sigh

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

In non-thread-winning-related news, the area of the stronghold near the end portal now has a melon patch, a brewing stand, and an enchantment table! Who's up for killing an enderdragon this weekend?

I also have an XP farm nearby. It's kind of slow at the moment, but I'm going to try out a different design that I saw on YouTube, which should increase the XP rate significantly. :)

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Still working on downing the lag monster. What effect does XP even have in this game now? O_o

PS: Humbly requesting a picture in the doodle thread of a giant moose battling Enderdragon. Godzilla vs Mothra style.

EDIT: Can play from work easily enough. Started developing the area around the ball a bit, and by area I mean airspace. Also, I can't get at the gear and torches/lanterns; those chests don't open for me. :(

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

XP is basically fuel for the enchantment table: the higher the experience level you enchant with, the better the enchantments your items get.

...oh, hey, Bukkit was finally updated for 1.0. Once I get that installed, the doors and chests near spawn will start behaving properly again.

-----

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I just realized why is it minecraft. In order for a game to be popular it must have the word "craft" in it's name. Blizzard have realized it long ago.

I'm ready to sell a game name Craftcraft.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

What about CraftCraft Revolution?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Crafty CraftCraft: The Crafting?

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Tyrant wins.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

type568 said:

Tyrant wins.

Except that he forgot to mention the movie they made about the making of the game - The Crafting of Crafty CraftCraft: The Crafting.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

You should sell the rights bundle for the movie+game. You'll be billionaires.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I only heard this on CheckPoint so I don't know how true it is, but apparently after MineCraft Lego was announced, someone contacted Notch and angrily demanded 50% of all profits from sales because he thought of it first. ::)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Notch stole the block idea from another entity? :o

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

How about ScrollsCraft.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

How about ScrollsCraft

No because then Bethesda will come and say it is infringing copyright because it has mountains. Just like they did with Scrolls.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

These TM lawsuits are so sad :(

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Yeah, I laughed a while back when I read that Bethesda was doing a lawsuit against Mojang's Scrolls game. The article I read had an excerpt from the lawsuit and said Mojang was violating copyright because people would confuse the Elder Scrolls game with Scrolls. Stated (accused) Mojang of intentionally doing it so people would buy Scrolls thinking it was a part of Elder Scrolls. Then the thing that got me was Scrolls is breaking copyright because Scrolls has mountains just like Elder Scrolls.

I read the mountain line and thought, "Well, Square-Enix better hurry up and file a lawsuit against Bethesda because FF and TES have mountains."

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I love how in Skyrim there is a pickaxe on the top of the tallest mountain named 'Notched Pickaxe'. You have to go ridiculously out of your way to even find it so to many, it is an easter egg and an homage to Notch.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

You have to go ridiculously out of your way to even find it so to many, it is an easter egg and an homage to Notch.

Next time they're in the courtroom he should thank them.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Yeah, I seriously doubt that. To them Notch is a nobody that they were trying to sue because they claimed he was trying to use their Elder Scrolls game to pull attention to their Scrolls game. I believe Skyrim was finished and released before they legal issues even started so I doubt Notch was even on their radar.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Minecraft is very popular. IIRC, developers from VALVe gave a shout out to it at one point. It's very likely that the Skyrim development studio has played Minecraft and completely feasible that it was indeed an Easter egg to shout out to Notch (it likely wasn't connected in any way to the legal dispute, and I wouldn't even be surprised if the corporate/management groups are unaware of said Easter egg).

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Well for the legal issue to have a serious chance the team and management would have had to sign the complaint as the team would have been required to write statements stating what Scrolls was infringing on copyright wise. Not to mention a Notched pickaxe was around in Oblivion (which I believe was out way before MC was in development).

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I'm not sure you know how these places work, Specter. There is major division between the legal and the development departments. It is HIGHLY likely NO ONE on the development teams thought the copyright infringement case made any sense. It is likely, however, for them to have played minecraft and thrown in little homages to it. In any large game company, legal is a completely separate and evil entity.

This is all beside the point, however, as the notched pickaxe was around in Oblivion, as you said, which came well before minecraft.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

bamccaig said:

IIRC, developers from VALVe gave a shout out to it at one point.

Yep, Notch got his very own personal hat for TF2.

-----

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

relpatseht: They are separate entities. The law still requires affidavit from the lead developer factually showing what was being infringed upon as he would be the one that knew the most about the project. Just taking the legal departments say so that it was infringement doesn't work that way because it is hearsay at that point.

Of course Valve would pay respect to him. Valve is more about indie developers (Steam) than what Bethesda is.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

The Notched pickaxe is right next to a mining vein in a particularly difficult area to get to. It's an easter egg. kthxbye.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Go to: