Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
minecraft
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I started working on my dome. Don't feel like working on it right now. Today I seem to be a bit blah. Not sure why. Probably just did too much last week (not to mention sleeping in a bit today).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

LennyLen said:

What bug? Ocean biomes were a deliberate addition in 1.8.

Via the wiki:

Quote:

As of Beta 1.8, because of the change in how land is generated, if a player is in a world that was made pre-1.8 and travels into new chunks, there's a chance that a very, very large ocean may be formed. There will also be a one-block-high drop in sea level along the discontinuity between the old and new chunks with the old chunks being higher.

There are also places where the water drops, but not into water. If I fall off these ledges and my boat lands on the solid blocks, I instantly die. Interestingly, if I put a torch right next to these water walls, the water will attempt to spread down to the lower level.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Ah right, I have come across a few of those 1m waterfalls.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Just explored the MC server. Nice, but with the new hunger meter I don't see myself going online with MC. I prefer peaceful mode locally so I can just build and not have to worry about mobs, hunger, or health (unless I fall a huge distance by accident).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Personally, I think that building things in Minecraft is boring. Why do it? It doesn't mean shit afterward. Oh, you built a castle fortress with glass windows and wood paneling? On my first day I dug a hole and buried myself. I'm fine. There's no reason to do it. That's what Minecraft lacks. Your imagination can only bullshit you so far, and in a multiplayer game your imagination generally fails epically.

Go ahead and build your useless towers, rail networks, and mine shafts. It's all a big waste of time. I look forward to when the creativity takes a backseat to an actual reason/purpose/motive.

Append:

In other words, give me an attractive female to rescue/chase. >:(

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Well with that rant it concludes that MC is boring either way. The same premise is there for online and offline. Mine, build, create. Once you have created everything you are stuck with nothing to do. I've seen guys make video after video of them and friends just doing maps and then breaking the rules set for them by digging through the hard areas. Building is boring? Okay. How long does it go before digging and fighting the same mobs over and over become boring? This is the first time I have picked up MC since buying it late last year. Even with the fortress I have gotten bored and started using TNT to blast the center of the tower out some. I feel MC is boring for the fact that it, IMO, genuinely has no purpose behind it to keep it entertaining in any way.

I was told that MC and Terraria were great games and entertaining. MC bored me from the beginning and now I only play it when I get bored with whatever else I'm doing. Terraria became boring once I had all the end game stuff and beat all the bosses. I just feel that all games have lost their reply value. I can't think of a single game that I have beat and turned around wanting to beat it again. With MC is there is nothing to beat and Terraria has a limited set of things to beat. I don't expect it to be long before I leave MC alone for almost another year. Though I did jump onto two other servers (BAF's and Moosader's) but after about 3 days grew tired of mining and not really having any reason to play it.

With the building idea I have now, at least I feel like I have a purpose in the game. Once I get it done I doubt I would play it much after that, if I get it done that is.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Just explored the MC server. Nice, but with the new hunger meter I don't see myself going online with MC. I prefer peaceful mode locally so I can just build and not have to worry about mobs, hunger, or health (unless I fall a huge distance by accident).

I've found the new hunger stuff has made the game easier since health regenerates when your hunger meter is full. I'm not dying nearly as much as I used to. And you get food from cows and chickens now too, so food is generally plentiful. Not to forget that food stacks now. I went on a hunting mission for a single day, and I got like 32 steaks and a bunch of pork as well.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Why do it? It doesn't mean afterward.

Nothing we do means anything afterward if you look far enough forward. We're all just wasting time.

In other news...one map to go! Still haven't seen a village. :(

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Ah, I finally got the map at mc.kentdev.net to render the blocks that were added in 1.8. Now the large building in LennyLen's town actually looks like a building, instead of just a few lines of brick hovering in midair. :)

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Are there any paths in the Nether connecting those various portals?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Most of the portals have paths through the Nether connecting them (although some of those paths are hidden).

-----

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Okay for some reason when I joined the server I was in the void and died >:(
Also In the raw materials, I think wood planks needs to be called wooden planks cause it's not infinite :(

And thanks for not stealing my stuff guys even though I'm totally bummin' off the streets. Just like home

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

The FullChest mod is a bit particular about which section of a double chest you open, and will only refill that half. Which half of the chest were you clicking on to open it?
(Also, the name on the sign is irrelevant, it's the number below that determines what the chest gets filled with).

Update: The nether has been added to the map! Most of the buildings and paths are obscured by all the netherrack, though.

-----

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Been trying to make a mob factory and everything is going great til I get to the last part. The water on this one side is not acting like the rest of the sides. Kind of annoying too. Been working on it in solo mode as I have no where to build on the server in fear that I will run into someone else's builds. Used this tutorial for the entire thing-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VBMrFMzGMU

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

My mob tower is of a different design, so I can't offer any immediate insight to the problem, but perhaps if you show some screenshots of the correct and incorrect water flow it might be easier to help.

There's tons of space on the server by the way. Five minutes travel in just about any direction will take you to unclaimed terrain. If you visit the map at http://mc.kentdev.net you can get an idea of which direction to go in to find somewhere to build.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Five minutes? Do I need to get an egg timer out for that? ;) That is good to know, I will probably try to get on there and start building one sooner or later.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Also, you can add views to the map to show off your buildings by placing a sign: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_Editors/Tectonicus#Creating_Views

-----

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

The black mage makes post 666 :-/

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I tried (and succeeded) in making duplicate maps via holding shift while crafting four maps, but I am nowhere on the resulting maps :/ map_0.
???

[Website] [Youtube]

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I don't know what the hell is going on with my map of the mob farm. I got it working and decided to go up top, build an obsidian home to have a safe area from creepers and upon going to the third island I noticed a huge area of glass cubes. Went to explore and found that for some reason my map had a hole under that so I connected them all to a tunnel and from an observation room I watch the zombies, skeletons, creepers, and spiders walking around down there. I'll post a video tomorrow as I'm off to bed now.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I tried (and succeeded) in making duplicate maps via holding shift while crafting four maps, but I am nowhere on the resulting maps :/ map_0.

Can someone like give me the 16 iron ingots/36 paper I wasted on this?

[Website] [Youtube]

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Apparently that's a known bug. :-/

Anyway, last time I checked, there were at least 16 iron ore in the town's "misc items" chest (in the same building as the subsidised materials).

-----

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

And thanks for not stealing my stuff guys even though I'm totally bummin' off the streets.

I stole a melon to save myself from starvation. :-[

Anyway, after not having played this game since BAF's server, I got some impressions.

• This game still performs like shit.

• I think building and destroying prediction with a 200ms latency is even more glitchy than before.

• My previous minecraft knowledge is completely useless now, there's so much different and new stuff around, I don't even know what to build first.

Anyway, hopped in to check the new server around, built some crappy wooden house. Even if I don't really agree with the use of mods like the full chest one, I gotta admit it's way too useful. :-X

I haven't found anyone online today tho, do you guys play here? :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I mostly play with my single player world. I may eventually get on the server but I would be screwed if I wanted to do a mob factory due to the items I would need.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

I doubt they've done much to fix the performance, they're too busy adding dragons. I hope that, once the 1.0 version is released (in just about a week!), they get serious about fixing bugs.

... I haven't been on too much recently. I bought Just Cause 2 and have been busy destroying things instead of building them. :P

-----

Go to: