Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
minecraft
CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Huh, apparently my problem was caused by my nvidia control panel forcing antialiasing. After switching it to "Application controlled" it looks fine now. New graphics card, new problems I guess. :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

(Disclosure: We’ve enforced the trademark for Minecraft once, when there was a minecraft clone on iOS, using our name. People were emailing me saying our iOS version was buggy and bad, so we asked them to change the name of their game, and they did.)

This is funny, he says it as if the Java version isn't buggy and bad. :o

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I've got more animals and clay soldier mods and they're great fun :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

BAF said:

This is funny, he says it as if any of the various minecraft version aren't buggy and bad.

FTFY ;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

FTFY ;-p

Isn't the Java version the only version though?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

We’ve enforced the trademark for Minecraft once, when there was a minecraft clone on iOS

Surely one of Apple's "exhaustive" checking systems would pick something obvious like trademark infringement up?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Surely one of Apple's "exhaustive" checking systems would pick something obvious like trademark infringement up?

Probably. See if you can get a McDonald's app on the store.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I dunno; what if you got a third-party to port an app for you? I can't see Apple taking responsibility for someone else's copyright problems ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Is anyone else unable to connect to the server?

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

That's me. I'm having a lot of difficulty working with the server itself while minecraft is running. It should be back up in an hour or two (if not let me know).

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Can you remember the first time you tried minecraft (assuming you never saw a million videos first). A lad at work said he got a free trial version, dug a few bits of soil, couldn't build anything (he was pressing q thinking that was how you build), then it got dark and he got killed by a spider.

Those were the days ;)

btw, he's an IE user so the low IQ probably accounts for some of it.

Neil.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

CGamesPlay gave me a copy of his server's world, and now I'm experimenting with different mods. :)

Can some people try connecting to my server at mc.kentdev.net, and see if lag is a problem?

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

No lag problems for me kdevil, seems to work nicely!

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I noticed a very slight lag before the blocks would pop up, probably less than half a second though. Very bearable, and may have just been caused by a slow connection to the server. I was only on with just me, so I don't know how it works with others on.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I noticed CGamesPlay's server is still down. Are we all moving to kdevil's?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Dunno, but I tried it last night and had no lag.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Sounds like the server is working well so far :)

I'm going to be away from the computer all the rest of this week, though, so if something goes wrong... well... it'll be fixed next Sunday. :P

-----

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I can try running a minecraft server at home, I've got more upload than I used to, so it might be bearable for a few users. Just in case kdevil's doesn't work out. Or people want another server to play on.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I was getting some lag today while playing. Not too bad, but noticeable.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Back!

I was getting lag, too, even when just playing over the LAN. Apparently the Minecraft server just gets slower and slower the longer it's left running. :-/

I've set up a script that will restart it once per day, so that should fix things.

-----

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've heard it doesn't do that if you make sure it can only ever allocate a max amount of memory, meaning set the max memory for the VM, but also set the OS's own virtual memory limits for the process as well.

It makes me think its doing something that causes java, or a native library to leak like a sieve.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

So do I have to make a new sphere now? :(

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So do I have to make a new sphere now?

I'm pretty sure kdevil imported the world from CGamesPLay's server.

--

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Yup, it's a copy of CGamesPlay's world, so your sphere is still intact. :)

The memory leaks are probably the fault of Bukkit, but the once-a-day restart will keep that under control.

-----

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

WorldGuard is stopping me from opening any of my chests :(

Go to: