Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
minecraft
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Doesn't mean that mc.baf.cc isn't being moved to another box. Maybe it's just being upgraded.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Doesn't mean that mc.baf.cc isn't being moved to another box. Maybe it's just being upgraded.

Nope. the box its on, is being dropped like a rock. They are moving their stuff from that box to Amazon EC2 as VMs. And CGames has setup a replacement minecraft server already. But doesn't seem interested in loading it up with the old map.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I am not especially interested in loading up the old map on the new server. I don't particularly want to delete the old map, either. I'll post the git repo someplace accessible later on today. After that, if anybody wants me to import structures from it and can use MCEdit to make a brush, then I'm game :)

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

I actually think a new map sounds fun. The one on mc.baf.cc was getting a little wonky. Also, your new server is a lot less laggy for me, CGP.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I've been dabbling with bukkit on my private server, and there are a bunch of cool plugins. Redstone circuits and multiverse come to mind.

Multiverse lets you run multiple worlds simultaneously, so you could run the old mc.baf.cc world alongside the current one (I actually have a copy of mc.baf.cc from a couple months ago running under multiverse). Then you can build a portal between the two (and if you have an economy plugin, you can set a price for going back and forth). You could also build a rail-less transportation system using portals too.

My private server hasn't been used by more than 3 or 4 people simultaneously, but it's got a handful of plugins and doesn't seem to ever lag, even with tons of TNT. I'm not sure why mc.baf.cc is so crappy, locally I'm running almost identical hardware. I suspect maybe xen/xenserver just sucks (my local one is running under a Linux guest on Hyper-V).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'd try hosting a server here at home, but my connection is shit. Shaw claims its 25/2.5 now, but I don't even get the 15/1 it used to be.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

La la la. I installed Bukkit and some mods. If you're in the town, creepers won't explode! Also, TNT won't work. I moved the spawn point to inside the (in progress) inn. Feel free to help make it look nice. The upstairs patio definitely needs some decoration.

Commands include the harmless ones listed here.

The logic I'm using for controlling subsidizing items is this: if the item is easy but tedious to come across, I will subsidize it. The biggest exception here is minecart equipment, which will get added in for the good of the community.

--

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Thursday evening I might have time to check it out, after I've finished my more difficult exams.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

As much as I had no great work done on Baf's server, I rather dislike constantly starting over. On my home machine, I can still get underground using an old passage I made like a year ago.

I like the beds since it lets you edit your individual spawn point, so maybe now everything won't get clumped up. I'll give the new place a go. Time to make yet another sphere. Does sandstone count for "subsidizing"?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Sand is subsidized. There's a big depot filled with raw materials for everyone to use.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Where's this at? I only see the cabin with the stairs down ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I lost 50 iron ingots today because of my stupidity. Not to mention a lot of other stuff. :-/

Chris: I'd tell you the coordinates, but I can't login due to Bad Login. :P

EDIT:
Here you go:
173, 75, 85

I hope I got them right. I had to remember them quickly then the lag covered the screen with red.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Vanneto said:

I lost 50 iron ingots today because of my stupidity. Not to mention a lot of other stuff.

Yeah, I almost lost a bunch of important stuff today. But I was being paranoid and decided to dig sideways before down, and what do you know, had I just dug down, I'd have fallen into lava.

I just died though. Didn't loose anything that important luckily. I tend to store all my good shit in chests when ever I get enough to store. Got a stack and a bit of iron, 3 diamonds (used up 3 diamonds for the pickaxe that got all that iron), and a bunch of other random stuff.

Got stuck in town at night, with creepers outside.. decided to just disconnect rather than waiting for the creeper to blow up the wooden building I was in.

--

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I thought creepers don't explode in town?

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Vanneto said:

I thought creepers don't explode in town?

OOh, I forgot about that. I thought maybe they didn't spawn in town, but obviously they do.

--

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Where's this at? I only see the cabin with the stairs down ...

You might be at the old spawn point? Near the "Homeless Shelter and deep mine"? Go southeast from there. See the map.

Vanneto said:

I hope I got them right. I had to remember them quickly then the lag covered the screen with red.

Protip: "/pos".

They don't spawn in the lighted areas, and there's a fence on ne side of town. They can come form the forest next to town though. Creepers won't blow up in town, but zombies and spiders and skeletons are still a threat. As more buildings get put up in town, more roads will get built, streetlights will be added, fences will be upgraded to walls...

--

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

The lag is just too awful. Don't think I can keep this up. :(

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

gnolam said:

The lag is just too awful. Don't think I can keep this up.

I've actually found the new server quite a bit better than the old one. Some lag here and there, but nothing like the old one.

But then this one is still quite a bit smaller than the old one.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

As I've been saying all along, I blame minecraft, and not the box it's hosted on. :-X

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

BAF said:

As I've been saying all along, I blame minecraft, and not the box it's hosted on.

QFT.

Minecraft, as fun as it is, is a buggy piece of trash.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Hey CGames, can you open the door of the spawn house? since it's in the spawn area, it seems to be protected - players aren't able to open the door...

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Yeah, I removed the spawn protection. It was a left-over from me copying the minecraft scripts from the old server. Sorry about that!

--

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

See the map

ooh, that looks bonny. How do you get that running, I'm about to embark on setting up a little private server and this would be nice.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I tried logging in today, but nobody was online.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Out of curiosity, how often does that map update?

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

Go to: