Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Double check the router settings. Maybe you didn't save the settings somehow.

Already checked that. Is there a way to confirm that the port is being forwarded correctly?
Also, perhaps there is something else I need to do so that the application will be able to establish outgoing connections? Or something to allow it to establish incoming connections on other ports?

Or a MAC address change.

The problem is that there is a device between my modem and my router, that device acts as a dialer and connects to the ISP. If I wanted to mess with my MAC address I'd have to mess with that device.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Already checked that. Is there a way to confirm that the port is being forwarded correctly?

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Also, I'm pretty sure firewall's and anti-virus apps need to be disabled, or need to have exceptions made for the Minecraft server.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Maybe it's your ISP?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The problem is that there is a device between my modem and my router, that device acts as a dialer and connects to the ISP. If I wanted to mess with my MAC address I'd have to mess with that device.

Oh, thats a bit annoying. Though typically those devices either pass through packets from the lan port as is (no mac change), or they have a nice web admin page for you to change the mac.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Maybe it's your ISP?

Possible, though why would they do that? And what limitation are they imposing exactly?

Oh, thats a bit annoying. Though typically those devices either pass through packets from the lan port as is (no mac change), or they have a nice web admin page for you to change the mac.

Yeah, but to get to an admin page I'd probably have to have the thing connected directly to my computer and/or know the correct address to connect to, both are problematic.
If the thing is complicated enough to have an admin page (which I doubt it is), does it mean it may also be complicated enough to block certain ports or whatever?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If the thing does have an admin page, then you might need to port forward on that as well. Or at least setup DMZ.

Does the router have the public IP on it's WAN?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, but to get to an admin page I'd probably have to have the thing connected directly to my computer and/or know the correct address to connect to, both are problematic.
If the thing is complicated enough to have an admin page (which I doubt it is), does it mean it may also be complicated enough to block certain ports or whatever

I dunno, most of those devices only provide the LAN port as a pass through, and the admin page is there to change settings for it, itself. I'd say theres a 90% chance yours works that way as well.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

Is the device between the router and the webs a modem? In order to forward ports on my computer I had to enable port forwarding on both the router and the modem. I got to the admin page of my modem at 192.168.0.1, but I'm not sure what your setup is.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

My guess is that it's not just a dumb gateway, but rather has its own built in router and runs NAT. Therefore, you're double natted, so have fun with that.

Do you have DSL? I assume this 'dialer' just runs PPPoE, so why can't your router do that?

I have to disagree with Tomasu here, if it's DSL, most modems/etc I've seen try to do their own routing. If something else is 'dialing' the connection, I doubt it's just a dumb gateway.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I assumed he meant a VOIP device. Which is usually a dumb pass through on the LAN side.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Most VOIP devices I've seen aren't pass-through either, they have built in routing as well. Though I suppose one may exist that has one 'LAN' port which passes through all other traffic.

I guess we need clarification on what this 'dialer' is. Assuming he's made exceptions in the Windows firewall and forwarded correctly on his router, then the only logical conclusions I can come to are his ISP is blocking it (unlikely, especially on an upper port like that), or he's double NATted which doesn't even let his router see the traffic (more likely if he's got something between his modem and router).

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I know I'm double NATted as my modem is a complete gateway: Internet, TV, and phone.

---
MiquelFire.red

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You know you can turn NATing off on most home routers. That'd simplify things.

--

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

First, the dialer is indeed a VOIP device (though we are no longer using the VOIP service).
Second, I've done some browsing and it turns out that the dialer not only acts as a NAT device (prohibiting me from hosting cool stuff) it also has an admin interface that requires a technician's password to do anything significant.
BAF is probably correct that I could just use my router to connect and skip the dialer, but that would require that I actually know my username and password. (which I don't :X)

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Has anyone else here built a portal to the Netherworld yet?
{"name":"602640","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3a741601ce1a79c4b7dbc06adf1c0e9.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3a741601ce1a79c4b7dbc06adf1c0e9"}602640
I put it in my basement which I now regret 'cause of all the baby screaming that comes out of it.

Edit About to go through it.
{"name":"602641","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99867f9f90bca744c16cf454f2d08364.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99867f9f90bca744c16cf454f2d08364"}602641

Here's the other side
{"name":"602644","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef486813671c3fff8bfcb856821f2e18.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef486813671c3fff8bfcb856821f2e18"}602644
{"name":"602645","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71c4ad8d90525e32d15f471aca7bab69.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71c4ad8d90525e32d15f471aca7bab69"}602645
{"name":"602643","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/2529c89e1c83e56e6c1843d9f1b3ec89.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/2529c89e1c83e56e6c1843d9f1b3ec89"}602643
{"name":"602646","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e647b4ce7ddb9af4eba9e30ed370b36c.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e647b4ce7ddb9af4eba9e30ed370b36c"}602646
{"name":"602642","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b57f104952b3346e0ddac44779006c9.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b57f104952b3346e0ddac44779006c9"}602642

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Current lifetime Obsidian count: 0

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I built two. Sadly, the location of the two resulted in both going to the same place, so for quick travel, it was useless. Oh well, back to strip mining.

---
MiquelFire.red

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Yup. It took me many hours because I happened to spawn in a location with a very low number of underground lava pools (i.e: none). I spent hours scouring for surface lava and was finally able to get enough to create the "poor man's portal" using 8 obsidian instead of 12. Once I got to the netherworld I was able to get lots of lava to make new portals. I built a new portal in the netherworld fairly far away from the original portal which comes out a huge distance away from the original one (in a cave, under an ocean). Currently I am building a massive railroad to connect the portals in the normal world, and in the netherworld. I'm pretty much out of iron at this point so I guess I'll have to resume my branch mining...

Current lifetime Obsidian count: 0

:-/

I put it in my basement which I now regret 'cause of all the baby screaming that comes out of it.

I put my first one in my basement too! I can't hear any baby screams, just the eerie portal 'pulsing' noise. Maybe that's what you mean though.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Can you use them for travel across the map quickly?

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yes. I believe its a 4:1 ratio, i.e., for every block you move in the Nether you've moved 4 in the real world.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

It's 8:1 ratio.

---
MiquelFire.red

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yes. Then I built another portal. Then I built a tunnel connecting them. Work is ongoing on the tunnel.

EDIT:
I'm getting a "can't connect to Minecraft.net" error when trying to long in. Is this happening to anyone else right now?

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

So if I build two portals 32 blocks apart in the real word, they'll be 4 blocks apart in the ether?

edit
Learned that lightdust is useless -- after working my ass off getting it.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Learned that lightdust is useless -- after working my ass off getting it.

If you craft nine of them into a lightstone block, it's as bright as a torch and water doesn't put it out.

Go to: