Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

This image is a great example of Minecraft's flaws.
{"name":"402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg","w":800,"h":477,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc"}402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg
It just feels fake and photoshopped. If they implemented better shadows maybe...

And that river? Rivers don't flow like that.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Indeed, heres the river running through edmonton:
{"name":"Edmonton.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3d33f001467c6f3b72c4f8ca2985e54.gif","w":352,"h":356,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3d33f001467c6f3b72c4f8ca2985e54"}Edmonton.gif

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Guys, I think Dustin was joking. He doesn't really think that picture is a minecraft screenshot. :-/

-----------

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Guys, I think Dustin was joking. He doesn't really think that picture is a minecraft screenshot.

What?

It is a screenshot. It's from the new Alpha. You have to buy it to play that version. Everyone else is stuck with the gay "cube world" crap. $14 USD goes a long way!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Chris! You aren't supposed to tell people who haven't paid! SHHH!

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Hey, I said he doesn't think it's a screenshot. I didn't say I don't think it's a screenshot...

but that would also be true

-----------

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I'm confused.

A list of public servers is here:

http://www.minecraft.net/servers.jsp

But when I click on one, I have to play it in the browser... Is there a way to play in these servers with the desktop version of Minecraft (I want fullscreen)? Don't I need the server's IP address though?

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I think those are the old creative mode servers. For the free version.

Don't I need the server's IP address though?

No, you don't. I tested it myself.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If you're playing multi player Alpha, right now the connect screen is pretty basic, you just enter a hostname or ip address, and click connect.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

No, you don't. I tested it myself.

What? Then how am I supposed to connect to these public servers via the desktop version without knowing their IP?

If you're playing multi player Alpha, right now the connect screen is pretty basic, you just enter a hostname or ip address, and click connect.

That's what I'm saying. I can't get the hostname or IP address of the servers that are listed for use in the desktop version.

I AM SO CONFUSED AHHHH :-/

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That's what I'm saying. I can't get the hostname or IP address of the servers that are listed for use in the desktop version.

Try the forums. Or set one up yourself. The server is available to download as well.

--

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

This image is a great example of Minecraft's flaws.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At what point on the fantasy<->realism spectrum does another level of realism actually detract from the fun?

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

decepto said:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At what point on the fantasy<->realism spectrum does another level of realism actually detract from the fun?

I think it depends a lot on the game, and the type of realism. For example, in a game like Gran Turismo more realism is usually a good thing; but in Mario Kart it isn't.

I suppose fun in a game can come in many different flavours; tests of dexterity; tests of mental deduction; ... general manipulation of the 'reward center'; story telling; immersion; adrenaline; competition; ... This list is not well written, but my point is that whether or not realism will make the game less fun or more fun depends on where the fun is coming from in the first place.

-----------

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

So do we have a Minecraft server?

I would host one right now but it seems there are problems with hosting on Win7 64-bit :-/

---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I have no issues running in Win7 64-bit (which is the only computer I can actually run Minecraft on with at least 30 fps... Well, I do have a Vista 32-bit laptop that might be able to play it smoothly)

One thing to note, in order for the server to run correctly, you MUST have the needed port open, otherwise the thing will close on it's own. That means both the router and the Windows' Firewall must have that port open.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I've opened up a server for testing purposes. I'm mostly curious if it will work (and if it works well enough I might open a "permanent" server), so please try and connect and tell me if you are successful. (and whether it lags or whatever)
Connect to 77 point 125 point 72 point 210 and use port 25565. (I'm not sure if using the correct port matters, but that is the port I've forwarded in the router config)
Also, is giving out your IP address publicly somehow dangerous? (like posting an email is in invitation for spam)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Also, is giving out your IP address publicly somehow dangerous? (like posting an email is in invitation for spam)

IPs tend to change, so not as dangerous. Most you'll find is bots scraping you for holes (they do that anyway regardless), and maybe some dumb kid DOSing you. Thats about the worst it'll get, and you can always get a new IP.

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Can't connect.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Can't connect.

Damn, I guess that's not quite how I'm supposed to do that.
Oh, did you specify the port (ie 77.125.72.210:25565) or just the address (77.125.72.210)?

Most you'll find is bots scraping you for holes

Which I probably have considering the age and problems of this machine :X (I'll probably wipe it and reinstall everything when I get a new computer, but that may take awhile :S)

Quote:

you can always get a new IP

But that takes 10-20 minutes of internet downtime :o

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I did both.

If you're running the exe, then check to make sure the window is there. If not, the server is down.

---
MiquelFire.red

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Oh, did you specify the port (ie 77.125.72.210:25565) or just the address (77.125.72.210)?

25565 is the default Minecraft port, so you don't have to write that, as Minecraft tries to use it automatically. I can't connect either.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I'm not really sure what more I should be doing here, port 25565 is forwarded to the correct inner network address (192.168.1.100) for all protocols, and firewall exceptions have been added to minecraft.exe (which doesn't matter) and minecraft_server.exe (which probably matters a bit. You might want to try again since I didn't add the exceptions earlier).
Any thoughts to what else I should be changing either on the server computer or the router configurations? (I have a TL-WR841N and I followed the port forwarding instructions to the letter)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Double check the router settings. Maybe you didn't save the settings somehow.

---
MiquelFire.red

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

But that takes 10-20 minutes of internet downtime

Or a MAC address change.

--

Go to: