Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I just found out guys.

Notch has partnered with Activision-Blizzard.

Now we'll get the same great gaming experience of Minecraft but now with the reliability and user customization offered by Battle.NET 2.0!

... Oh dear God.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

So if I build two portals 32 blocks apart in the real word, they'll be 4 blocks apart in the ether?

No, from what I heard, after you build the first portal in the normal world, subsequent portals must be built in the nether, otherwise the normal portals will point to the same portal in the nether.

I built a couple of portal in the couple of worlds I have, the first one using mined obsidian, the second one by making a mold and then using buckets of lava and water to generate the obsidian in place.

EDIT:

Checked out CGames' server, nice ice highway! Slartibartfast was there too, after a while things started glitching though (I fell off the island and couldn't respawn, then Slarti got stuck and then we both got disconnected).

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Yep, it was very cool, but would probably be more fun if the things I built didn't pop out of existence (and the things I dug popped right back into existence).
After a lot of work I managed to dig some dirt, but when I tried to build a big Allegro sign with it the block was placed and then promptly disappeared (also leaving me one dirt block poorer), I guess either there's a lot more work to be done on multiplayer or a much better server/connection is needed.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

When you place a block, it might not appear for a bit. The client places it, but it has to download the result of it as part of the normal terrain update, which can get desynced. Minecarts can also get really buggy, so avoid those :)

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

nice ice highway!

Is my flaming glass house still attached to the ice highway? ;D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

The mobs in the Nether are annoyingly noisy. I'm building a base there, and the sound is driving me crazy!

EDIT:

I think mobs can spawn even in light in the Nether. I keep getting the occasional zombie-pig inside my base.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I don't know how new the mobs are to the game (after all, I just recently got it), but I find them to be more annoying than anything else. They currently don't add to the "fun" of the game at all.

I'm sure the strong fanbase has already put in their input, but this is what I would like to see. I would like to see monsters that fit with their biome. Two, I would like to see varying levels of difficulty. I would image the spawn point being the start point and as one travels from that point, monsters get harder, possibly by biome. Take this for example:

-------------
|   |       |
| 2 |   1   |
|--------|  |
|   1    |  |
|        |--|
|--------|  |
|  0       s|
|-----------|

So, "s" is the spawn point. The biome here is level 0. The top left biome is level 2. Monsters there are the hardest monsters on this minimap. To make it more interesting, their could be something like a mob core block that when destroyed, makes the entire biome go down in difficulty. I think this would help merit exploration on many levels. And I know creating AI is a tricky thing, especially when so many people are already playing the game. I'd be fine with different color variations of the same mobs now that require more hits. That would still feel like "progression".

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I've been playing Simcity 4 for the past 5 days now everyday!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

The enemies are annoying, admittedly. They aren't hard to fight, but if they gang up on you or sneak up on you in a tight or enclosed space, it's a cheap death.

I think mobs can spawn even in light in the Nether. I keep getting the occasional zombie-pig inside my base.

IIRC, mobs can spawn in the Nether in any free 3x3x3 zone.

EDIT: My current project is making a square tower from the upper to lower bounds of the world geometry, which grew out of a project to make an observation tower on a mountain. Turn it pink and it would look like Bob is taking on The User. :P I don't know what I'm going to do with it when it's done; maybe carve big pictures in the side or pit a glass lighting tower through the middle. Right now it's just a big hole, so zombies that spawn underground just burn (and spiders that spawn above ground fall and die).

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

EDIT: My current project is making a square tower from the upper to lower bounds of the world geometry, which grew out of a project to make an observation tower on a mountain. Turn it pink and it would look like Bob is taking on The User. I don't know what I'm going to do with it when it's done; maybe carve big pictures in the side or pit a glass lighting tower through the middle. Right now it's just a big hole, so zombies that spawn underground just burn (and spiders that spawn above ground fall and die).

Post pictures!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I'm working on building one of these in the Nether. I currently have a handful of "bases" scattered about, starting from my spawn point which is a (very spartan) castle now, my main base which has a watervater to the lower levels of the map, a random igloo, and I plan a floating observation island accessible only from the Nether.

video

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Post pictures!

Eh; so far it's just a hole that proves I had an evening or two to burn. :p We'll see if it turns into anything presentable in time.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Eh; so far it's just a hole that proves I had an evening or two to burn. :p We'll see if it turns into anything presentable in time.

Post pictures!

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I can't seem to connect to your server. Sometimes it will get to downloading terrain, and once I got in, but I didn't see anything but the sky. Is this a problem on my end or is there something wrong with the server? :'(

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Post pictures!

Post pictures of you posting pictures!

-----sig:

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I can't seem to connect to your server. Sometimes it will get to downloading terrain, and once I got in, but I didn't see anything but the sky. Is this a problem on my end or is there something wrong with the server?

Same thing has been happening to me.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Same here. :-/

In capitalist America bank robs you.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Quick questions for those who follow Minecraft more than me: how many players will the final, official multiplayer support? Will it be one large server by Notch? Also, is there a plan (or something already existing) to protect your creations from vandals? It would be cool to have a small area specifically assigned only to be "editabe" by you, maybe around your spawn area.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

There are server mods that allow admins/ops/mods to designate a cube for a specific player to build in, and nobody else can edit stuff in that area.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Well not only did I get my giant tower to bore to the center of the earth, but I found lava, water, and obsidian finally. Crafted a diamond pickaxe and made my Nether portal, so good day. I'm going to take some screenshots before I start actually customizing my giant tower/hole, because I have a few plans. :)

Also got enough gold to make pretty yellow armor, and over a full stack of iron bars. No diamond though. My diamond sword that I've had forever is down to about 75% durability. :(

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You do realize that Gold is mostly useless right? Gold armor is as strong as wood armor, only its more expensive to make :P You're better off making Golden Apples and such out of it.

Also got enough gold to make pretty yellow armor, and over a full stack of iron bars.

In the world I used the plumper, I have full BLOCKS (plural) of iron :D Yeah, not only do I have full stacks, but to save space I've crafted them into full blocks. Its something like 9 bars per block. And I have at least one or two stacks of full blocks :D Craziness. Totally over plumped that world. Made it somewhat boring to be honest.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I made a nether portal. I didn't bother mining obsidian, rather, I just created a few buckets, made a mold, and built the portal in place. Worked quite well, if I do say so myself! :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

TF: How the shit did you manage a quadruple post?

-----sig:

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

TF: How the shit did you manage a quadruple post?

Impatience. Also its Quintuple. Theres 5 of them. Site got really slow for posing, and it seems if I let it sit for a minute or so, it'd post the message, but not ever finish and let me know, so I'd stop it, and try again... Little did I know, it was actually posting some of them.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

C-C-C-Combo breaker!

-----sig:

Go to: