Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
Dario ff

So, for all the Minecraft lovers out there, this is the current update.
{"name":"tumblr_lb4gltVyaH1qzb7ox.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81535c3b1b9652abf89a6a47a7158bf3.png","w":419,"h":700,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81535c3b1b9652abf89a6a47a7158bf3"}tumblr_lb4gltVyaH1qzb7ox.png

Also, biomes!

video

Read some more about the new Hell dimension here, and here. I think I'm going to create a new world as soon as possible! :)

Any discussions? Opinions about the new dimension?

Neil Black

I want to try to set up a permanent home in the new dimension. Does light still keep monsters from spawning there?

23yrold3yrold
Dario ff said:

Opinions about the new dimension?

I thought it was just going to be a glorified fast travel system, but now it sounds like a progression of the MineCraft "tech tree". Obsidian is one of the hardest materials to obtain, right? Well now you can use some to travel to an extension of the world that has even more valuable minerals! Only thing I would have preferred is more of an alien, ethereal dimension, but then I guess it wouldn't be a Halloween update ...

Neil Black

Also, apparently one of the block types in the new dimension will never go out if set on fire. I see a quick replacement for limited torches right there (just don't use it in a wooden building!)

Dario ff

Another update to the first picture. I should be ashamed of stalking Notch's twitter so much today, shouldn't I? :P Oh well, that's what I get for having a cold in a weekend...

Vanneto

I ran my copy of Minecraft today. Ran it in fullscreen. It lagged. Games like Operation Flashpoint 2 and Modern Warfare 2 don't lag on my computer. But Minecraft seems to do it quite frequently.

Now that sucks... :P

Trezker

I see a quick replacement for limited torches right there (just don't use it in a wooden building!)

Or you could build your entire building in that material!
Would need fireproof doors though.

Neil Black

And a fireproof body! Good glavin, you'd be walking into a furnace every time you went home!

Crazy Photon

Updates seem nice, be careful that there is a bug that when you die, you lose whatever is on your inventory (items disappear instead of being dropped to the ground).

23yrold3yrold

Updates seem nice, be careful that there is a bug that when you die, you lose whatever is on your inventory (items disappear instead of being dropped to the ground).

I learned that the hard way when I got ambushed coming out of my cave. Goodbye diamond sword. :'(

I think the enemy spawning underground has changed too. I have an area I'm clearing out at the bottom level, relatively small at the moment, extremely well lit, never had mobs spawn, and tonight I was practically getting swarmed.

X-G

I think the enemy spawning underground has changed too.

That's what the "Experience scarier depths" point in the update image means. The deeper you go, the more light-resistant mobs are, meaning they will still spawn even if the area is lit.

CursedTyrant

Do you people still have an Allegro Minecraft server? I recently bought the game and I'd like to play some multiplayer. :P

Dario ff

Heh, you can fish live mobs as well. ;D Shame fish aren't live mobs though, they just appear randomly when you reel in the rod. :( My underwater glass tunnel would've been AWESOME with little sea creatures going around...

Also, biomes are very cool, found some snowy mountains after walking for a while. Hope to find a desert soon!

I thought it was just going to be a glorified fast travel system, but now it sounds like a progression of the MineCraft "tech tree". Obsidian is one of the hardest materials to obtain, right? Well now you can use some to travel to an extension of the world that has even more valuable minerals!

Keep in mind that you can spawn obsidian by just combining some buckets of water & lava, no need for some diamond picks really, so it ain't that hard to get.

Chris Katko

My brother has a hosted server. However, ever since the update it was getting lag of 10 seconds, and then up to 60 seconds and just kept rising. Oddly, we also spawned in hell, and Warp Gates aren't working right (since there's no high side warp gate).

This update was rather botched in playability. At least for us.

It's back to Halo and Starcraft.

Trezker

Random thought, do you have to build the gate standing up?
Can it be created sideways or lying down?

Samuel Henderson

Wow. Minecraft just got like 10 times harder with this update. I had a very elaborate branch mining operation just above bedrock, I kept it relatively well lit, the occasional mob would spawn, but that was pretty rare. Now, the mine is completely swarmed and the only way I can see of controlling it is to start placing doors at the branch entrances...

I also exhausted my bread supply (about 10 bread) from my underground farm and have already gone through two sets of metal armor. At this rate all the goodies I've mined out will be gone in like a week. ;(

Trezker said:

Random thought, do you have to build the gate standing up?
Can it be created sideways or lying down?

One of the comments on Notch's blog stated that it had to be standing up... Although I don't have enough obsidian to try yet.

23yrold3yrold
Dario ff said:

Keep in mind that you can spawn obsidian by just combining some buckets of water & lava, no need for some diamond picks really, so it ain't that hard to get.

I knew how to spawn it, but don't you still need a diamond pick to mine it?

Jonatan Hedborg

I knew how to spawn it, but don't you still need a diamond pick to mine it?

I guess it should be possible to build a mold and combine lava and water in that.

Dario ff

but don't you still need a diamond pick to mine it?

Why mine it? /Ninjaed

23yrold3yrold

Sorry; I thought it spawned as a block and then you mined it. As you can tell I haven't bothered trying it. :)

Dario ff

I've heard you can return the Ghast's projectiles by well timed punch/sword slash/etc., or even with an arrow. Reminds me a bit of some Zelda OOT battles. ;D

Billybob

Sorry; I thought it spawned as a block and then you mined it. As you can tell I haven't bothered trying it.

When lava meets water, it turns into an obsidian block. So there are two ways to make a Slip Gate. 1) Build a "mold" for the gate, and use lava+water to fill it up with obsidian. 2) Make obsidian, mine it with a diamond pic-axe. Only diamond will work, anything less and you don't get the obsidian after mining it. Once you've mined it, you can put down obsidian blocks like normal and make a gate.

Minecraft just got like 10 times harder with this update.

Yeah :'( I've been cowering in Peaceful for the time being. I hope Notch balances it out by making diamond even more durable, or more plentiful.

23yrold3yrold

Yeah sry, forgot about the mold trick. It's been a slow day. :)

It's all moot; I got no lava on my map. :P

Neil Black

I guess it should be possible to build a mold and combine lava and water in that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGzyn1hBrZQ

Samuel Henderson

It's all moot; I got no lava on my map.

I'm in the same boat. I've been scouring for surface lava springs, so far I've got two obsidian blocks.

Jonatan Hedborg

It's all moot; I got no lava on my map.

Are you sure you looked everywhere? It's an infinite map after all ;)

I'm in the same boat. I've been scouring for surface lava springs, so far I've got two obsidian blocks.

I've never seen lava on the surface ???

CursedTyrant

I've seen lava on the surface plenty of times, so it is definitely generated there too. :)

Arthur Kalliokoski

I've only played the free demo thing in a browser, but I've always hit lava when digging down far enough to see what happens. Or the monsters show up in the good version?

Samuel Henderson

Are you sure you looked everywhere? It's an infinite map after all ;)

I was able to locate some lava pools using cartographer. Basically, all the new chunks around the initial world have the lava pools... but there are none no where near my main base & mine (at the time I thought this was really lucky ;D)

Quote:

I've never seen lava on the surface ???

It is somewhat rare. The best way to find it (without using cartographer) is to explore at night. You can see the light from the lava spring a long way away. Unfortunately I've harvested all the above ground lava springs within a reasonable distance of my base and still only have 3 blocks of obsidian.

I think it's time to gear up for a lava hunting expedition. I'll pack plenty of food, armor, a diamond sword & pickaxe and set off exploring far away from home. I can use my trusty compass to find my way home again ;D

I've only played the free demo thing in a browser, but I've always hit lava when digging down far enough to see what happens. Or the monsters show up in the good version?

Both happen. The lava layer exists as pools of lava located just above bedrock/adminium. Sometimes a map will have no lava pools, sometimes alot. Monsters now spawn much more frequently the deeper you go, especially if you have poor lighting. Before, the light from lava used to be enough to prevent most monsters from spawning, I have no idea if that is the case anymore though.

CGamesPlay

The Halloween update has wrecked my base. Fortunately, when I saw the update feature list, I moved all my stuff to the surface, but the old skeleton mine now is a literal skeleton mine, as creeps show up all over the place even in the lit areas.

I really want to try out The Slip, but don't have enough Obsidian lined up at the moment. I need to set up an Obsidian farm.

Does anybody know what actually was improved with regards to multiplayer support? Minecarts still ruin everything and we're all still invincible :-/

CursedTyrant

I really want to try out The Slip, but don't have enough Obsidian lined up at the moment. I need to set up an Obsidian farm.

Notch actually renamed it to The Nether, AFAIK. As for multiplayer:

Quote:

Now I will rest for a few days, as I’m utterly exhausted. After that, I will get cracking on Survival Mode Multiplayer, as it’s still the highest priority for the game.

I think he hasn't really done anything for multiplayer yet.

Chris Katko

Portals don't work in multiplayer yet. >:(

someone972

I really wish he would finish multiplayer to the point where it plays like singleplayer. Sure new stuff is fun and all, but I'd like to be able to coordinate projects with other people and actually have stuff work.

So far the only thing I don't like about the Nether (the slip for those who haven't played recently) is that it moves portals to the nearest landmass. This resulted in me having to build up the ground until it was far enough out to match the position in the real world that it was supposed to be. At least I got quite a few portals worth of free obsidian from all the improper positions ::) (Still haven't mined them all up, 3 and a half minutes per portal).

Billybob

Unfortunately I've harvested all the above ground lava springs within a reasonable distance of my base and still only have 3 blocks of obsidian.

In case anyone doesn't know yet:

At least I got quite a few portals worth of free obsidian from all the improper positions

Indeed. After building your first portal, you can destroy the portals that are automatically generated in the real world as your source of free obsidian.

Or use the vast quantities of lava in the Nether.

Mark Oates

So what's this whole minecraft thing all about?

It looks way too fun. It it something I really want to get addicted to? ;)

Crazy Photon

when you die, you lose whatever is on your inventory (items disappear instead of being dropped to the ground).

Looks like Notch has just fixed this.

23yrold3yrold

Well, I just went on a merry expedition. Still no lava, but the mob count at night has been cranked up to mosh pit levels. O_o

Thomas Fjellstrom

Guh. I finally succumbed. I bought minecraft.

Been playing it for hours and hours.

And a few minutes ago, my laptop locked up! woo!

Samuel Henderson

Well, I just went on a merry expedition. Still no lava, but the mob count at night has been cranked up to mosh pit levels. O_o

Yeah, it's actually kind of scary to be out at night away from your main base now.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I've found bits of lava spread out in the mine I'm building. I just haven't bothered to create a bucket yet to do anything with it.

edit: Ehh, not lava. Nevermind.

Samuel Henderson

I've found bits of lava spread out in the mine I'm building. I just haven't bothered to create a bucket yet to do anything with it.

edit: Ehh, not lava. Nevermind.

Let me guess... red stuff? You can make a compass (and a watch) using it. These are the only things I really use it for. Although, with the current crazy monster spawn rate I can see myself using it for wiring up automatic doors and traps.

Also, lava is very tricky. I usually keep a bucket of water handy just in case I accidentally light myself on fire while trying to collect lava.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Let me guess... red stuff? You can make a compass (and a watch) using it.

Yeah, found a bunch[1] of it. But I also found a LARGE cave right after posting that, that has a crap ton of lava in it, as well as waterfalls. I think I'll try making some obsidian ;D

My problem so far is not finding enough iron ore.

References

1. I probably have 138 of the stones
Onewing

So what's this whole minecraft thing all about?

Yeah, it seems like you don't get it until you actually play it. I'm intrigued.

Samuel Henderson

Yeah, found a bunch

Red stuff is almost over abundant. I have over 12 stacks of the stuff.

Quote:

My problem so far is not finding enough iron ore.

I had that problem too, not very much iron in my current map. One thing I found that helps is to use a stone pick axe for rock, coal, and iron, and have an iron pickaxe for gold, diamond, and redstuff. Also, I've found branch mining just above the lava pool layer to be quite successful at extracting every block of iron ore in a given area.

Neil Black

I haven't had much time to play since the update. I made a portal, explored the new dimension for a few minutes, and that's about it.

23yrold3yrold

I had trouble with iron too, until I went hunting for lava. Found a few caves, including one so full of ore blocks I dubbed it Ironforge and set some markers so I could find my way back and plunder it. ;D

Still no lava though. :'(

X-G

The "red stuff" is officially called Redstone, btw. And I've never found ANY of it.

Neil Black

Redstone hangs out near the bottom of the map. I usually have multiple stacks of it, I don't know how you can not find it if you've dug that deep. Unless you're playing on a file from before Redstone came out and haven't generated new chunks.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I managed to die right after that. Go me. Now all my fancy stuff is gone. I even had some diamond :(

I might start a new map later. I've made a bit of a mess out of this one.

But man, I've played so much today I see blocks when I close my eyes :( probably going to dream about it tonight.

Arthur Kalliokoski

But man, I've played so much today I see blocks when I close my eyes

I used to do that after playing too much computer chess... (seeing patterns of movement as chess pieces move)

Thomas Fjellstrom

I used to do that after playing too much computer chess...

I first experienced it when I played SimCity on the NES/SNES as a kid.

The major difference is my brain has gone (more) warped due to having to constantly adjust for the up/down angle when going up or down stairs in minecraft. After a long enough set of stairs, I can't really tell which way I'm going :x

MiquelFire

At least it's not interfering with your life as much as this guy:

video

Archon

MiquelFire's link lead me to this which I thought was very funny.

Arthur Kalliokoski

Hey! A Firesheep!

Billybob

MinePlump

Awesome 8-)

Neil Black
Billybob said:

MinePlump

How good is that? Also, is it safe to run? I'm not overly paranoid, but I don't like running programs from unknown sources on my computer.

Thomas Fjellstrom

How good is that? Also, is it safe to run? I'm not overly paranoid, but I don't like running programs from unknown sources on my computer.

That page itself says "PRACTICE ON WORLDS YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT! BACKUP YOUR WORLDS!". In caps too.

append: It works rather well actually :D Once you hit a vein that's been plumped, you know it immediately.

append2: Heh, Floating glass swimming pool ftw.

{"name":"NmUrsAGl.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/706a3901766f60d3d9759b49661bca34.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/706a3901766f60d3d9759b49661bca34"}NmUrsAGl.png

append3: Wholy crap:

{"name":"CJcxiwc.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f7d00cb2c41ed3f105e27f401324566f.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f7d00cb2c41ed3f105e27f401324566f"}CJcxiwc.png

Thats a lot of coal.

MiquelFire

On some of my maps, I tend to find more coal then I can use.

Thomas Fjellstrom

On some of my maps, I tend to find more coal then I can use.

Yeah, theres normally enough of it I find. At least given the amount of other stuff. You can't really use a heck of a lot of it if you're short on iron, wood and other stuff to smelt.

Vanneto

I hate coal. Every time I find some I am forced to mine it all up. And there is so much coal. :P

Currently I am creating several bases so I can mine up enough stone to actually build something substantial (like a skyscraper or something). Then I will link all these bases up with rails. I need more iron to do that however...

Damn this game and the time it makes me waste. >:(

23yrold3yrold

I need my coal now, if I'm going to cover every square meter of adminium with torches ...

Samuel Henderson

I was finally able to gather enough obsidian to make my first portal. Apparently, I spawned in a pretty crappy location in The Nether as I'm stuck in a very small dark cave and there is no lava (or ghasts, or zombie pigmen) anywhere :(

Neil Black

That page itself says "PRACTICE ON WORLDS YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT! BACKUP YOUR WORLDS!". In caps too.

I was worried more about spyware or viruses.

CursedTyrant
Quote:

Get the latest source code from Subversion: https://www.thogan.com/svn/mineplump/

You can always check if it does anything malicious. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom

Man, that cave I'm working on is huge. Or will be. Its not a natural cave. I'm just trying to mine all the stuff in it. I have stacks of diamonds...

Vanneto

This is my current castle on the water.

{"name":"602603","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/25988b32e91508a578978c698d35abb9.png","w":873,"h":526,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/25988b32e91508a578978c698d35abb9"}602603

Everything is coming along fine. One problem though. I did not make foundations under the structure, so there is water below. Now I can't mine down below until I cover every inch of water below with stone.

Are there any alternatives? Is there an easier way to get rid of the water below a building?

Billybob
Vanneto said:

Is there an easier way to get rid of the water below a building?

Careful application of lava to turn it into cobblestone. Or fill it up with sand/gravel.

Vanneto

Thanks Billybob, sand worked way faster than lava or placing stone blocks. Now after an unimaginable amount of work, this is how it looks (note: everything below the windows was water)

{"name":"602604","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f8e93a03050ae511547da493e2e4c161.png","w":863,"h":520,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f8e93a03050ae511547da493e2e4c161"}602604

Success! 8-)

Onewing

Fine. I'm getting it too. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom

WHY IS THERE A PIG ALWAYS RIDING IN MY MINE CART? >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski

WHY IS THERE A PIG ALWAYS RIDING IN MY MINE CART? >:(

Related?

Quote:

A farmer decides that his 3 sows should be bred, and contacts his buddy down the road, who owns 3 male pigs. They agree on a stud fee, and the farmer puts the sows in his pickup and brings them down the road to the males. He leaves them all day, and when he picks them up that night, asks the man how he can tell if it 'took' or not. The breeder replies that if, the next morning, the sows were grazing on grass, they were pregnant, but if they were rolling in the mud as usual, they probably weren't ...
Comes the morn, the sows are rolling in the mud as usual, so the farmer puts them in the truck and brings them back for a second full day of frolic. This continues for a week, since each morning the sows are rolling in the mud.
About the sixth day, the farmer wakes up and tells his wife, "I don't have the heart to look again. This is getting ridiculous, AND expensive. You check today." With that, the wife peeks out the bedroom window and starts to laugh.
"What is it?" asks the farmer excitedly. "Are they grazing at last?"
"Nope." says the wife. "Two of them are jumping up and down in the back of your truck, and the other one is honking the horn!"

http://www.cljones.com/jfarm.html

Billybob
Vanneto said:

Thanks Billybob, sand worked way faster than lava or placing stone blocks. Now after an unimaginable amount of work, this is how it looks (note: everything below the windows was water)

:o 8-)

Your doors, they are confusing.

Mark Oates
Quote:

Fine. I'm getting it too. >:(

NO DONt --- aght--- Now I'm the only one!! :(

Neil Black

Join us!

Thomas Fjellstrom

video

(yeah, quality sucks. sue me.)

GullRaDriel
Mark said:

I also resist.

Vanneto
Billybob said:

Your doors, they are confusing.

There are two double doors, separated by a glass block. I wanted to make a lever that makes all the doors open/close at the same time.

Turns out that this isn't so simple with double doors, would need to make some fancy mechanism to make it work (NOT gate or something like that) and it just isn't worth it. :P

Evert

Now I'm the only one!!

No you're not.

Onewing

NO DONt --- aght--- Now I'm the only one!!

Already I'm enjoying, but I just started, so it's all new to me. Had a few good laughs from the little I played.

Right now, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just going around testing how they things react. I guess I was playing in survival mode, because it gets really dangerous at night. So I'm thinking of building a safehouse/warehouse to start working in when it's night time. Why not, right? ;D

It's kind of what I always wanted in a lego game.

Mark Oates
Evert said:

No you're not.

That's good. I think I can hold out. I'm too poor at the moment, anyway (even for €9.95) :-[

Onewing said:

It's kind of what I always wanted in a lego game.

DONT" TELL ME AAAAAAHHHH

Dario ff

DONT" TELL ME AAAAAAHHHH

Maybe some epic music will change your mind...

video

Trezker

That's just too awesome. I can't even recall any MMO game having a trailer that epic.

BAF

I would hardly describe Minecraft as an MMO.

Thomas Fjellstrom
BAF said:

I would hardly describe Minecraft as an MMO.

Thats good, because no-one did.

GullRaDriel
Thomas said:

Thats good, because no-one did.

So, what's the point to comparing it to an MMO ?

Trezker said:

That's just too awesome. I can't even recall any MMO game having a trailer that epic.

Thomas Fjellstrom

So, what's the point to comparing it to an MMO ?

Probably just that MMOs like to do "epic".

Trezker

I figured EVE online should have some epic trailers, but the first few I found didn't have that much feeling. Huge battles, but not huge feeling.

Karadoc ~~

Should I try this game?

Chris Katko

Yes.

Unless the price of "free" costs too much, then I'd stick to playing with rocks and sticks.

Arthur Kalliokoski

Rocks and sticks are also "free", and if "free" costs too much then they're out of your price range as well. But there's also an opportunity cost, i.e. would you be wasting time finding out you don't like the game after all when you could have been doing a favorite activity instead.

Onewing

Should I try this game?

Everybody's different. If one of these words intrigue you, then you should try this game: sandbox, exploring, being creative, building, destroying.

I'd probably have a few more words if I had played the multiplayer version, but so far I've only dabbled in the single player.

Chris Katko

, i.e. would you be wasting time finding out you don't like the game after all when you could have been doing a favorite activity instead.

Now you're just trying to start some crap. :P

If the opportunity cost is too high for you to try a video game for a few minutes, why are you asking if you should try it?

Samuel Henderson

Notch adjusted the spawn rates for monsters again: http://notch.tumblr.com/

I had already secured my mine to the point that seeing a monster was a rare and manageable occurrence, even with the increased spawn rate.

Is anyone from here planning on playing SMP once some more bug fixes are made?

someone972

I'll probably start playing multiplayer once most of the major things (redstone etc) work. I'll only play seriously if I'm playing on a server that I know will be around; last time I built something in multiplayer the server disappeared.

Billybob

Rocks and sticks are also "free",

The rocks and sticks in your backyard are your property, which you paid for, so those aren't free. Rocks and sticks at the park are public property, which you paid for with your tax dollars. Rocks and sticks in the streets, sidewalks, etc are, again, public property, paid for by you.

Rocks and sticks on other people's lawns aren't your property. Taking them is illegal. So, I wouldn't call that free either.

Where are you getting these free rocks and sticks? :P

Arthur Kalliokoski

I've been paid to remove rocks and sticks from people's property...

Neil Black

I'll probably start playing multiplayer once most of the major things (redstone etc) work.

Yeah, I'll probably get into it once BETA hits.

Slartibartfast

How high are the bandwidth requirements on hosting such a server?
I have a computer I could probably spare for the sake of hosting, but if it'll suck due to crappy home internet I shan't bother. (Especially since it will require finding out how to allow people to connect through the boundary of my router)

Karadoc ~~

I find that most computer games are not really great fun in the first few minutes. All of my favourite games have taken a large time investment to "get into". Getting into a game might involve building up my skills with the controls; learning to appreciate some of the strategies, becoming immersed in the story... that kind of thing. The game should have some depth and be challenging and so on. One isn't likely to enjoy the first few minutes of a game like nethack or dwarf fortress, but that doesn't mean they aren't good games.

From what I've heard about minecraft, punching animals and whacking blocks with a pickax doesn't really sound like a lot of fun. But exploring and building and thinking and planning might be fun...

Thomas Fjellstrom

From what I've heard about minecraft, punching animals and whacking blocks with a pickax doesn't really sound like a lot of fun. But exploring and building and thinking and planning might be fun...

It can be, it is/was for me. But with minecart physics sucking so horribly badly, its not as fun as it could be.

I just don't know what I want to do next. Kinda stuck.

Playing with peaceful mode off might help a little. Then I could play with some TNT!

blargmob

Is there really no way to set spawn points without using some external app?

FUCK

I like to explore new worlds until I find a location that feels "homey"; and that's where I setup camp and start building stuff...but when I die, I have to walk like 5 miles just to get back there.
:'(

Thomas Fjellstrom

Make yourself a compass, and build a fully automatic mine car track from your spawn to your house :D

Vanneto

Minecraft still gets my CPU usage to 100%. It lags like crazy at times and I can't play it in fullscreen. You know why? Java... Shitty shitty.

blargmob

Make yourself a compass, and build a fully automatic mine car track from your spawn to your house

I'm just using NBTedit ;D

Vanneto said:

Minecraft still gets my CPU usage to 100%. It lags like crazy at times and I can't play it in fullscreen

Same. LFD2, TF2, CS:S, etc. never lag, but Minecraft can lag like a mother fucker. And it's RAM usage keeps shooting up to >= 1 gb :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom

I think the reason for Minecraft's issues is maybe notch isn't the best programmer ever, or he hasn't had time to do some real bug fixes yet with core things. That is things that would take a week or more to fix. Seems the weekly releases keep him to fixing small stuff.

Though I can see how a large world like minecraft can use up a fair bit of memory, especially since the code seems to be SUPER OO. Not only is each loaded chunk of the world like 300x300x128 or something, but its all kept in memory as objects. Then theres all the monsters and things like mine carts and redstone that needs to be "running" in that entire 300x300x128 area... It can add up.

Chris Katko

Reddit's Minecraft server has been busy! They built a pyramid! :o

{"name":"ctSF2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9f7181a46bd8db6dc2950747471c7ce5.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9f7181a46bd8db6dc2950747471c7ce5"}ctSF2.jpg
{"name":"QHb7Y.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/45daa8036a761d9ba391d44768f8f5f1.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/45daa8036a761d9ba391d44768f8f5f1"}QHb7Y.jpg
{"name":"evjVG.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/6\/06efe92f987b0db01fcd461ede076e01.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/6\/06efe92f987b0db01fcd461ede076e01"}evjVG.jpg
{"name":"r0DKR.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5ba518457b5e386f278fc33027b98503.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5ba518457b5e386f278fc33027b98503"}r0DKR.jpg

Archon

Reddit's Minecraft server has been busy! They built a pyramid!

Let my people go!

Thomas Fjellstrom

I wonder if they know that real pyramids are mostly solid? ;D

MiquelFire

Maybe they're going to build traps on the inside?

BAF

If that pyramid isn't solid, then what's so impressive about it? ???

Chris Katko
BAF said:

If that pyramid isn't solid, then what's so impressive about it?

???

The thing is the maximum world height, carved from the Earth and then replaced piece-by-piece. What's not impressive about it? If it was solid, it wouldn't have been a beautiful view from the inside. It would have been solid.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Even a hollow pyramid of that size is pretty impressive. Thats a rather large in game object. Given that it looks like it hits the sky, its massive.

Vanneto

Is the Reddit server public? If so, is there anyway I can join in on the fun? (yes, I have searched google but found nothing)

BAF

I have a large observation tower that hits max world height.

Were all the materials actually mined for the pyramid?

Thomas Fjellstrom

It looks like they were taking the materials from the center of the pyramid, as if they built it around a large hill or a mountain.

BAF said:

I have a large observation tower that hits max world height.

And how many blocks wide is it ;)

BAF

Not as wide as the pyramid, but a large group of people building this is hardly impressive, at least to me. The impressiveness rises a bit if they actually mined 100% of the materials themselves, but it still seems like no big deal to me.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Please, start on it yourself then. We'll wait.

Matthew Leverton

Why is it impressive? Did it require lots of skill? ???

Is playing Halo for 8 hours a day impressive?

It seems like the only thing here is how much time you have to spend doing it. I find that playing with blocks for a long period of time is no more impressive than doing anything else with that same time, whether it be working, eating, sleeping, etc...

BAF

Please, start on it yourself then. We'll wait.

I didn't say it wasn't time consuming. I just said it didn't impress me. A pyramid is fairly unoriginal, so the only way it could be impressive would be due to its massive size or the fact that no cheating was done. And when you amortize the amount of material mined and the size based on the number of people working on it, it quickly pales in comparison to many other things creating in minecraft.

Thomas Fjellstrom

You two should play more minecraft. Might find some of your kin in the depths.

BAF

I do play minecraft. That doesn't help me understand why this giant pyramid should be particularly impressive. :-/

23yrold3yrold

I'm impressed that no one griefed it. Where's my TNT?

Thomas Fjellstrom

I'm impressed that no one griefed it. Where's my TNT?

You know what would be interesting? If that mound inside the pyramid was mostly TNT and they then set it all off. :D

Samuel Henderson

You know what would be interesting? If that mound inside the pyramid was mostly TNT and they then set it all off.

If TNT works the same way it did when we had our allegro server, only the person who set it off would see the explosion, everyone else would just see a huge whole appear. That is assuming that the server wouldn't crap out due to the memory issues concerned with updating that many objects at once.

I seem to recall the allegro server having issues with some of our bigger experiments...

Neil Black

I seem to recall the allegro server having issues with some of our bigger experiments...

It chugged back to life after a while. And the results were spectacular.

Samuel Henderson

It chugged back to life after a while.

Yeah, after a server reboot :)

Quote:

And the results were spectacular.

Yup, nothing like blowing away a massive mountain or making a hole that goes straight to bedrock in one shot.

Neil Black

I accidentally started a forest fire today (in singleplayer). Half of my world is on fire and it keeps spreading. Now I've got huge fields of burning tree trunks that look terrible.

I love this game. ;D

Arthur Kalliokoski

{"name":"1082317332_5FfGY-L.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7bdb617c55bd9b9d52775a2de459739.jpg","w":800,"h":401,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7bdb617c55bd9b9d52775a2de459739"}1082317332_5FfGY-L.jpg

blargmob

I keep generating new worlds over and over and over and over. I can't get a world that I'm comfortable with :-/

Arthur Kalliokoski

You need to build an air mattress.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I spent most of my time underground with my first two worlds so it really didn't matter what the above ground looked like.

Also, don't bother with that MinePlumper thing. It works well. Maybe too well. I Found it created so much of the minerals that it made the game less enjoyable. There was no real reward on finding a new vein, because there was three more around it.

Karadoc ~~

I downloaded "Minecraft Alpha" to see what the fuss was about... and it said wouldn't let me play until I created an account — so I created an account — then it said it still wouldn't let me play because my account wasn't "premium". I wonder what would come next if I got a premium account; maybe it would say I could play only after I entered my email address password into my minecraft account details or something like that; and then I'd have to post a kidney to Notch; and so on. Bah. This game isn't as fun as you guys make it sound. And Minecraft 'classic' appears to be web-based only, which I don't like. I want to delete my account now but it won't let me do that either. :(

Thomas Fjellstrom

I downloaded "Minecraft Alpha" to see what the fuss was about... and it said wouldn't let me play until I created an account — so I created an account — then it said it still wouldn't let me play because my account wasn't "premium". I wonder what would come next if I got a premium account;

Nothing. You have to pay for the game to play Alpha. If you just want to play classic, find the page where you can play the applet version.

I wonder what you were expecting? It is a commercial game after all.

also, this is neat:

video

Karadoc ~~

I was expecting to be able to download and play the game for free in single player mode, but have to pay for multiplayer mode. I thought the business mode was that the game would be free up until some point in time at which it would branch into a free version which is no longer updated (effectively a demo version) and a commercial version which continues to get updates. I expected the branch point to be when the game enters the "beta" phase.

I hope that answer eases your curiosity about what I was expecting!

Anyway, I'm a bit miffed because I feel like I've fallen victim to a bait-and-switch scam. I didn't lose any money obviously, but I just don't like that kind of behavior. The website and the game both gave the impression that I just needed to sign up and then I could play – but then when I did that, I still couldn't play. And now I can't undo what was done. I can't delete my account. just another number_of_registered_accounts++, and Notch has permanent access to my email address, and a throw-away password.

I don't mean for this to sound like a big deal. It really isn't a big deal at all. I'm just saying that I don't like it.

Vanneto
Minecraft Alpha [The latest!]: In browser | Download
Minecraft Classic [Free!]: Single player | Multi player

The below title suggests it is free. The first one does not have that "free" part. What does this tell us? If you click "In browser" it slaps "you need to buy the game to play infdev". I mean, what made you think the downloaded version would behave different?

But thats just me, I never had a problem with Notch's system.

Karadoc ~~

Thanks for that analysis.

Vanneto

Look, if you want to try the game, download the Alpha version, disconnect yourself from the Internet, then choose "Play offline" and you can play the game without buying it.

But please do buy it if you like it. :)

Thomas Fjellstrom

I bought it, and found it worth the $14 cad. Though so far I've only played it for a few days. But for like 12 hours straight each day (one day far more than 12 :o), it seems I have a thing with overdoing things ;D heh

But yeah, I like it, but I hope it gets better. The physics need a boost, especially the mine carts.

Vanneto

You mean when you give them a push and they go for miles? I'd be nice to see building come crashing down if you remove the foundations or the support wall. ;D

X-G
Vanneto said:

isconnect yourself from the Internet, then choose "Play offline"

You can only play offline after having played online at least once.

Vanneto

Oh, yes, it needs to download the necessary files. My bad. Well, there is still bittorrent.

Chris Katko

Korval:
If Starcraft 2 is worth $180, Minecraft was a drop in the ocean. ;)

ImLeftFooted

My non indie-gamer buddy forced me to play this game instead of hitting up the bars. Now I bought the damn thing too. ::)

$15 seems high.

decepto

Meh, $15 bucks is a few hours of fun at the bar. I've probably already sunk 30 hours into MineCraft. Well worth it IMO.

ImLeftFooted

Paying money to lose more time isn't an equitable argument.

BAF

Don't buy games if you don't want to "lose" time. Seems painfully obvious to me.

CGamesPlay

Korval

What? He hasn't been here in years.

The changeset for tomorrow, expect:

General fixes:

• players and mobs in lava or fire no longer spam sound effects

• getting hit with a higher damage while recovering from a smaller one now works as intended

• lava flows further in the Nether

• zombie pigs eventually forgives

• added support for custom texture packs

• fixed duplicate buttons when resizing screens

• zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava

• fixed volume sliders now saving properly

Multiplayer fixes:

• hellworld=true no longer overwrites old save chunks. Player positions will still break if you switch it on a running server, though

• boats are now visible to other players

• minecarts move nicer

• fishing kinda sorta works, but needs more work

• sheep and cows look like sheep and cows now

• buckets work now

• fixed stairs being really difficult to destroy

• increased the timeout before “Took too long to log in”

• made it possible to ride carts and boats (pigs should work too..)

I'm really excited about the minecarts fixes, because those suck and that's kinda the reason I haven't played more multiplayer.

Chris Katko

What? He hasn't been here in years.

Holy crap. Good point.

Onewing

Now that I've finally finished my first mine (which led to secret caves and lava pools...and a dungeon!), I've decided to start mapping my surroundings. I went to a large dune and built an observation tower to get a good look of the land's layout. The lake right next to my base/spawn point is going to be the center of my map and, from there, I will expand!

Chris Katko

I've noticed one flaw with Minecraft. It really doesn't have the world depth that I'd like to see. You can't have huge mountains and with great cliffs into deep chasms.

{"name":"018iceland.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg","w":800,"h":477,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc"}018iceland.jpg

I understand the memory issue in doing that. But I really think it would be beneficial to have support multiple stacked chunks (mountain chunk, ground chunk, underground chunk) and you would only need a mountain chunk if the mountain existed.

I'd really like to see vast mountain ranges like the Smokey Mountains:

{"name":"great-smoky-mountains.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7febd605e45d12d403dcb919d420dcd4.jpg","w":415,"h":332,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7febd605e45d12d403dcb919d420dcd4"}great-smoky-mountains.jpg

ImLeftFooted

This image is a great example of Minecraft's flaws.
{"name":"402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg","w":800,"h":477,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc"}402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg
It just feels fake and photoshopped. If they implemented better shadows maybe...

And that river? Rivers don't flow like that.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Thomas Fjellstrom

Indeed, heres the river running through edmonton:
{"name":"Edmonton.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3d33f001467c6f3b72c4f8ca2985e54.gif","w":352,"h":356,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3d33f001467c6f3b72c4f8ca2985e54"}Edmonton.gif

Karadoc ~~

Guys, I think Dustin was joking. He doesn't really think that picture is a minecraft screenshot. :-/

Chris Katko

Guys, I think Dustin was joking. He doesn't really think that picture is a minecraft screenshot.

What?

It is a screenshot. It's from the new Alpha. You have to buy it to play that version. Everyone else is stuck with the gay "cube world" crap. $14 USD goes a long way!

Neil Black

Chris! You aren't supposed to tell people who haven't paid! SHHH!

Karadoc ~~

Hey, I said he doesn't think it's a screenshot. I didn't say I don't think it's a screenshot...

but that would also be true

blargmob

I'm confused.

A list of public servers is here:

http://www.minecraft.net/servers.jsp

But when I click on one, I have to play it in the browser... Is there a way to play in these servers with the desktop version of Minecraft (I want fullscreen)? Don't I need the server's IP address though?

CursedTyrant

I think those are the old creative mode servers. For the free version.

Don't I need the server's IP address though?

No, you don't. I tested it myself.

Thomas Fjellstrom

If you're playing multi player Alpha, right now the connect screen is pretty basic, you just enter a hostname or ip address, and click connect.

blargmob

No, you don't. I tested it myself.

What? Then how am I supposed to connect to these public servers via the desktop version without knowing their IP?

If you're playing multi player Alpha, right now the connect screen is pretty basic, you just enter a hostname or ip address, and click connect.

That's what I'm saying. I can't get the hostname or IP address of the servers that are listed for use in the desktop version.

I AM SO CONFUSED AHHHH :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom

That's what I'm saying. I can't get the hostname or IP address of the servers that are listed for use in the desktop version.

Try the forums. Or set one up yourself. The server is available to download as well.

decepto

This image is a great example of Minecraft's flaws.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At what point on the fantasy<->realism spectrum does another level of realism actually detract from the fun?

Karadoc ~~
decepto said:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At what point on the fantasy<->realism spectrum does another level of realism actually detract from the fun?

I think it depends a lot on the game, and the type of realism. For example, in a game like Gran Turismo more realism is usually a good thing; but in Mario Kart it isn't.

I suppose fun in a game can come in many different flavours; tests of dexterity; tests of mental deduction; ... general manipulation of the 'reward center'; story telling; immersion; adrenaline; competition; ... This list is not well written, but my point is that whether or not realism will make the game less fun or more fun depends on where the fun is coming from in the first place.

blargmob

So do we have a Minecraft server?

I would host one right now but it seems there are problems with hosting on Win7 64-bit :-/

MiquelFire

I have no issues running in Win7 64-bit (which is the only computer I can actually run Minecraft on with at least 30 fps... Well, I do have a Vista 32-bit laptop that might be able to play it smoothly)

One thing to note, in order for the server to run correctly, you MUST have the needed port open, otherwise the thing will close on it's own. That means both the router and the Windows' Firewall must have that port open.

Slartibartfast

I've opened up a server for testing purposes. I'm mostly curious if it will work (and if it works well enough I might open a "permanent" server), so please try and connect and tell me if you are successful. (and whether it lags or whatever)
Connect to 77 point 125 point 72 point 210 and use port 25565. (I'm not sure if using the correct port matters, but that is the port I've forwarded in the router config)
Also, is giving out your IP address publicly somehow dangerous? (like posting an email is in invitation for spam)

Thomas Fjellstrom

Also, is giving out your IP address publicly somehow dangerous? (like posting an email is in invitation for spam)

IPs tend to change, so not as dangerous. Most you'll find is bots scraping you for holes (they do that anyway regardless), and maybe some dumb kid DOSing you. Thats about the worst it'll get, and you can always get a new IP.

MiquelFire

Can't connect.

Slartibartfast

Can't connect.

Damn, I guess that's not quite how I'm supposed to do that.
Oh, did you specify the port (ie 77.125.72.210:25565) or just the address (77.125.72.210)?

Most you'll find is bots scraping you for holes

Which I probably have considering the age and problems of this machine :X (I'll probably wipe it and reinstall everything when I get a new computer, but that may take awhile :S)

Quote:

you can always get a new IP

But that takes 10-20 minutes of internet downtime :o

MiquelFire

I did both.

If you're running the exe, then check to make sure the window is there. If not, the server is down.

CursedTyrant

Oh, did you specify the port (ie 77.125.72.210:25565) or just the address (77.125.72.210)?

25565 is the default Minecraft port, so you don't have to write that, as Minecraft tries to use it automatically. I can't connect either.

Slartibartfast

I'm not really sure what more I should be doing here, port 25565 is forwarded to the correct inner network address (192.168.1.100) for all protocols, and firewall exceptions have been added to minecraft.exe (which doesn't matter) and minecraft_server.exe (which probably matters a bit. You might want to try again since I didn't add the exceptions earlier).
Any thoughts to what else I should be changing either on the server computer or the router configurations? (I have a TL-WR841N and I followed the port forwarding instructions to the letter)

MiquelFire

Double check the router settings. Maybe you didn't save the settings somehow.

Thomas Fjellstrom

But that takes 10-20 minutes of internet downtime

Or a MAC address change.

Slartibartfast

Double check the router settings. Maybe you didn't save the settings somehow.

Already checked that. Is there a way to confirm that the port is being forwarded correctly?
Also, perhaps there is something else I need to do so that the application will be able to establish outgoing connections? Or something to allow it to establish incoming connections on other ports?

Or a MAC address change.

The problem is that there is a device between my modem and my router, that device acts as a dialer and connects to the ISP. If I wanted to mess with my MAC address I'd have to mess with that device.

blargmob

Already checked that. Is there a way to confirm that the port is being forwarded correctly?

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Also, I'm pretty sure firewall's and anti-virus apps need to be disabled, or need to have exceptions made for the Minecraft server.

Slartibartfast

Even disabling the windows firewall and setting the PC as a DMZ doesn't allow the canyouseeme thing to work :(
Bleagh.

MiquelFire

Maybe it's your ISP?

Thomas Fjellstrom

The problem is that there is a device between my modem and my router, that device acts as a dialer and connects to the ISP. If I wanted to mess with my MAC address I'd have to mess with that device.

Oh, thats a bit annoying. Though typically those devices either pass through packets from the lan port as is (no mac change), or they have a nice web admin page for you to change the mac.

Slartibartfast

Maybe it's your ISP?

Possible, though why would they do that? And what limitation are they imposing exactly?

Oh, thats a bit annoying. Though typically those devices either pass through packets from the lan port as is (no mac change), or they have a nice web admin page for you to change the mac.

Yeah, but to get to an admin page I'd probably have to have the thing connected directly to my computer and/or know the correct address to connect to, both are problematic.
If the thing is complicated enough to have an admin page (which I doubt it is), does it mean it may also be complicated enough to block certain ports or whatever?

MiquelFire

If the thing does have an admin page, then you might need to port forward on that as well. Or at least setup DMZ.

Does the router have the public IP on it's WAN?

Thomas Fjellstrom

Yeah, but to get to an admin page I'd probably have to have the thing connected directly to my computer and/or know the correct address to connect to, both are problematic.
If the thing is complicated enough to have an admin page (which I doubt it is), does it mean it may also be complicated enough to block certain ports or whatever

I dunno, most of those devices only provide the LAN port as a pass through, and the admin page is there to change settings for it, itself. I'd say theres a 90% chance yours works that way as well.

someone972

Is the device between the router and the webs a modem? In order to forward ports on my computer I had to enable port forwarding on both the router and the modem. I got to the admin page of my modem at 192.168.0.1, but I'm not sure what your setup is.

BAF

My guess is that it's not just a dumb gateway, but rather has its own built in router and runs NAT. Therefore, you're double natted, so have fun with that.

Do you have DSL? I assume this 'dialer' just runs PPPoE, so why can't your router do that?

I have to disagree with Tomasu here, if it's DSL, most modems/etc I've seen try to do their own routing. If something else is 'dialing' the connection, I doubt it's just a dumb gateway.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I assumed he meant a VOIP device. Which is usually a dumb pass through on the LAN side.

BAF

Most VOIP devices I've seen aren't pass-through either, they have built in routing as well. Though I suppose one may exist that has one 'LAN' port which passes through all other traffic.

I guess we need clarification on what this 'dialer' is. Assuming he's made exceptions in the Windows firewall and forwarded correctly on his router, then the only logical conclusions I can come to are his ISP is blocking it (unlikely, especially on an upper port like that), or he's double NATted which doesn't even let his router see the traffic (more likely if he's got something between his modem and router).

MiquelFire

I know I'm double NATted as my modem is a complete gateway: Internet, TV, and phone.

Thomas Fjellstrom

You know you can turn NATing off on most home routers. That'd simplify things.

Slartibartfast

First, the dialer is indeed a VOIP device (though we are no longer using the VOIP service).
Second, I've done some browsing and it turns out that the dialer not only acts as a NAT device (prohibiting me from hosting cool stuff) it also has an admin interface that requires a technician's password to do anything significant.
BAF is probably correct that I could just use my router to connect and skip the dialer, but that would require that I actually know my username and password. (which I don't :X)

ImLeftFooted

Has anyone else here built a portal to the Netherworld yet?
{"name":"602640","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3a741601ce1a79c4b7dbc06adf1c0e9.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b3a741601ce1a79c4b7dbc06adf1c0e9"}602640
I put it in my basement which I now regret 'cause of all the baby screaming that comes out of it.

Edit About to go through it.
{"name":"602641","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99867f9f90bca744c16cf454f2d08364.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99867f9f90bca744c16cf454f2d08364"}602641

Here's the other side
{"name":"602644","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef486813671c3fff8bfcb856821f2e18.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef486813671c3fff8bfcb856821f2e18"}602644
{"name":"602645","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71c4ad8d90525e32d15f471aca7bab69.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71c4ad8d90525e32d15f471aca7bab69"}602645
{"name":"602643","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/2529c89e1c83e56e6c1843d9f1b3ec89.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/2529c89e1c83e56e6c1843d9f1b3ec89"}602643
{"name":"602646","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e647b4ce7ddb9af4eba9e30ed370b36c.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e647b4ce7ddb9af4eba9e30ed370b36c"}602646
{"name":"602642","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b57f104952b3346e0ddac44779006c9.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b57f104952b3346e0ddac44779006c9"}602642

23yrold3yrold

Current lifetime Obsidian count: 0

MiquelFire

I built two. Sadly, the location of the two resulted in both going to the same place, so for quick travel, it was useless. Oh well, back to strip mining.

Samuel Henderson

Yup. It took me many hours because I happened to spawn in a location with a very low number of underground lava pools (i.e: none). I spent hours scouring for surface lava and was finally able to get enough to create the "poor man's portal" using 8 obsidian instead of 12. Once I got to the netherworld I was able to get lots of lava to make new portals. I built a new portal in the netherworld fairly far away from the original portal which comes out a huge distance away from the original one (in a cave, under an ocean). Currently I am building a massive railroad to connect the portals in the normal world, and in the netherworld. I'm pretty much out of iron at this point so I guess I'll have to resume my branch mining...

Current lifetime Obsidian count: 0

:-/

I put it in my basement which I now regret 'cause of all the baby screaming that comes out of it.

I put my first one in my basement too! I can't hear any baby screams, just the eerie portal 'pulsing' noise. Maybe that's what you mean though.

ImLeftFooted

Can you use them for travel across the map quickly?

BAF

Yes. I believe its a 4:1 ratio, i.e., for every block you move in the Nether you've moved 4 in the real world.

MiquelFire

It's 8:1 ratio.

Neil Black

Yes. Then I built another portal. Then I built a tunnel connecting them. Work is ongoing on the tunnel.

EDIT:
I'm getting a "can't connect to Minecraft.net" error when trying to long in. Is this happening to anyone else right now?

ImLeftFooted

So if I build two portals 32 blocks apart in the real word, they'll be 4 blocks apart in the ether?

edit
Learned that lightdust is useless -- after working my ass off getting it.

Neil Black

Learned that lightdust is useless -- after working my ass off getting it.

If you craft nine of them into a lightstone block, it's as bright as a torch and water doesn't put it out.

CursedTyrant

I think it's actually slightly brighter than a torch.

Thomas Fjellstrom

So if I build two portals 32 blocks apart in the real word, they'll be 4 blocks apart in the ether?

Or more usefully, if you build one in the real world, go to the Ether/Nether, walk (or run ;D) say, 10 or 20 blocks, build a gate, you'll end up 80 blocks or so away from your first gate.

Also, I think gates that are close in either world will end up going to the closest gate in the other... So I don't know if you could build a gate only 4 blocks away from another gate in the nether.

Neil Black

I think I'm going to build my main base in the Nether. I already have a tunnel connecting two portals... I might just expand off of that.

MiquelFire

Unless you're playing on peaceful, you be crazy to think of doing that. I demand pictures! Maybe video if you can do it!

Billybob

I haven't seen awesome roller coasters in the Nether yet. Minecrafters are slacking!

CursedTyrant
Billybob said:

I haven't seen awesome roller coasters in the Nether yet. Minecrafters are slacking!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nether+minecart&aq=f ;)

Neil Black

Unless you're playing on peaceful, you be crazy to think of doing that.

To my shame, I kept it on peaceful while building my tunnel in the Nether. But I plan on building the main base with mobs on. I'm going to gear up in the regular world first, gather food and equipment and supplies, then go down and get to building.

ImLeftFooted

Or more usefully, if you build one in the real world, go to the Ether/Nether, walk (or run ) say, 10 or 20 blocks, build a gate, you'll end up 80 blocks or so away from your first gate.

Also, I think gates that are close in either world will end up going to the closest gate in the other... So I don't know if you could build a gate only 4 blocks away from another gate in the nether

I don't know if it's a glitch, but I built two Nether gates about 1 world apart. One is near the bottom of the world while the other is in my basement. They are definitely >300 squares apart. In the nether they are only 10 squares apart.

It's a very convient way to warp down to my mine in maybe 12 seconds.

blargmob

Grrrr

We need our own server. If someone doesn't get one up sometime this week, I'll try to set up my old PC and start one (dedicated 24/7).

Thomas Fjellstrom

I'd set one up on my home server, but I'm uncertain about the memory and bandwidth requirements. My home server could use a bit more memory, and a lot more upload...

CursedTyrant

You'd probably need about 8 GBs of RAM to pull off a working server with more than 5 players.

blargmob

You'd probably need about 8 GBs of RAM to pull off a working server with more than 5 players.

I totally forgot about the amount of RAM Minecraft uses.

Nevermind, I can't host one :'(

Slartibartfast

I think the default memory allocation for a Minecraft server is 1 gig, if you look at http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp you'll see he recommends running it with java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui which afaik runs the jvm with a 1 gigabyte limit (I think the default is 256M).
Minecraft singleplayer definitely runs with 1 gigabyte and usually ends up using half of that.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I think thats only if it still leaks like a siv. Does it? I can't imagine a smaller world would need 8G ram all to itself. My entire home server manages to run on 4G of ram, and have half of it mostly unused most of the time. My desktop has 6G ram, but I really don't want to keep it running, its a power hog.

If I can find some cheap DDR3 2-4G sticks for my home server, I'd add another 4-8G to it. (its also a quad core and should have enough cpu power)

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui which afaik runs the jvm with a 1 gigabyte limit (I think the default is 256M).
Minecraft singleplayer definitely runs with 1 gigabyte and usually ends up using half of that.

I dunno, it seems like java can decide to use more memory when ever it feels like. I had run minecraft with 512M, and the memory allocated to it according to some fancy python script that parses a special kernel file that exports the real memory use of a program, was over 1-1.5G

Slartibartfast

Strange. Maybe it is a configuration issue because I distinctly remember a Java application crashing due to lack of memory, and increasing the amount the jvm gets (via exactly these command line parameters) fixed the issue.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Maybe its some quirk of how the game works on linux. I dunno.

Samuel Henderson

I'm getting a "can't connect to Minecraft.net" error when trying to long in. Is this happening to anyone else right now?

I am too. I'm assuming it is because minecraft.net is down (or at least it seems to be from here).

BAF

I dunno, it seems like java can decide to use more memory when ever it feels like.

It seems like -Xmx, which defines the maximum heap size, is something that can't be surpassed. I have seen this happen with memory-intensive Java services before, and I can assure you, once you but up against that limit, out of memory exceptions start being thrown.

Slartibartfast

Maybe its some quirk of how the game works on linux. I dunno.

Did you manually specify a 512M limit? Does it automatically specify any limit on its own?

Anyway, I'm hoping someone hosts an Allegro server, I'm a bit burnt out on singleplayer and my few forays into multiplayer show me servers that are way too busy and advanced for me to join and enjoy, so having a small Allegro server would be pretty cool. (Even if I'd probably be alone there all of the time :X)

On a side note, I've tried extracting my username and password from the dialer and only managed to get a username :( (either that or my password is something like ({[++]}) and doesn't work when I try to connect directly from my router) further googling also suggests that getting over that POS is going to be a PITA.

On an even sider* side note, turns out that the problems my macbook gave me on wireless were solved by switching off N networks on my router, probably because according to wikipedia my macbook air supports draft-n.
((I changed from my POS router to a brand new one and still had troubles, but the new one had an advanced enough interface to switch from mixed b/g/n mode to mixed b/g mode which solved the problem))
(((I'm talking about troubles I talked about in another thread)))
(((())))

*-hooray for making up words

MiquelFire

There might be some (really bad) overhead with Java apps, so if you tell Java to use only 1G, the program might use up to 2G in actual RAM.

CGamesPlay

Connect to cgamesplay.com.

23yrold3yrold

Worked, but I don't know how to talk. I also have zilch resources; off to make a wooden pickaxe I guess ...

CursedTyrant

Press T to talk.

CGamesPlay

I'll try installing hey0's mod right quick, ignore the downtime for a bit.

Thomas Fjellstrom
BAF said:

It seems like -Xmx, which defines the maximum heap size, is something that can't be surpassed. I have seen this happen with memory-intensive Java services before, and I can assure you, once you but up against that limit, out of memory exceptions start being thrown.

I used both memory limit flags, set to 512M. And it was still showing > 1G use.

Did you manually specify a 512M limit? Does it automatically specify any limit on its own?

I think java has a default of 256M or something, and you can expand that by setting the -X flags.

Chris Katko

I just found out guys.

Notch has partnered with Activision-Blizzard.

Now we'll get the same great gaming experience of Minecraft but now with the reliability and user customization offered by Battle.NET 2.0!

... Oh dear God.

Crazy Photon

No, from what I heard, after you build the first portal in the normal world, subsequent portals must be built in the nether, otherwise the normal portals will point to the same portal in the nether.

I built a couple of portal in the couple of worlds I have, the first one using mined obsidian, the second one by making a mold and then using buckets of lava and water to generate the obsidian in place.

EDIT:

Checked out CGames' server, nice ice highway! Slartibartfast was there too, after a while things started glitching though (I fell off the island and couldn't respawn, then Slarti got stuck and then we both got disconnected).

Slartibartfast

Yep, it was very cool, but would probably be more fun if the things I built didn't pop out of existence (and the things I dug popped right back into existence).
After a lot of work I managed to dig some dirt, but when I tried to build a big Allegro sign with it the block was placed and then promptly disappeared (also leaving me one dirt block poorer), I guess either there's a lot more work to be done on multiplayer or a much better server/connection is needed.

CGamesPlay

When you place a block, it might not appear for a bit. The client places it, but it has to download the result of it as part of the normal terrain update, which can get desynced. Minecarts can also get really buggy, so avoid those :)

BAF

nice ice highway!

Is my flaming glass house still attached to the ice highway? ;D

Neil Black

The mobs in the Nether are annoyingly noisy. I'm building a base there, and the sound is driving me crazy!

EDIT:

I think mobs can spawn even in light in the Nether. I keep getting the occasional zombie-pig inside my base.

Onewing

I don't know how new the mobs are to the game (after all, I just recently got it), but I find them to be more annoying than anything else. They currently don't add to the "fun" of the game at all.

I'm sure the strong fanbase has already put in their input, but this is what I would like to see. I would like to see monsters that fit with their biome. Two, I would like to see varying levels of difficulty. I would image the spawn point being the start point and as one travels from that point, monsters get harder, possibly by biome. Take this for example:

-------------
|   |       |
| 2 |   1   |
|--------|  |
|   1    |  |
|        |--|
|--------|  |
|  0       s|
|-----------|

So, "s" is the spawn point. The biome here is level 0. The top left biome is level 2. Monsters there are the hardest monsters on this minimap. To make it more interesting, their could be something like a mob core block that when destroyed, makes the entire biome go down in difficulty. I think this would help merit exploration on many levels. And I know creating AI is a tricky thing, especially when so many people are already playing the game. I'd be fine with different color variations of the same mobs now that require more hits. That would still feel like "progression".

verthex

I've been playing Simcity 4 for the past 5 days now everyday!

23yrold3yrold

The enemies are annoying, admittedly. They aren't hard to fight, but if they gang up on you or sneak up on you in a tight or enclosed space, it's a cheap death.

I think mobs can spawn even in light in the Nether. I keep getting the occasional zombie-pig inside my base.

IIRC, mobs can spawn in the Nether in any free 3x3x3 zone.

EDIT: My current project is making a square tower from the upper to lower bounds of the world geometry, which grew out of a project to make an observation tower on a mountain. Turn it pink and it would look like Bob is taking on The User. :P I don't know what I'm going to do with it when it's done; maybe carve big pictures in the side or pit a glass lighting tower through the middle. Right now it's just a big hole, so zombies that spawn underground just burn (and spiders that spawn above ground fall and die).

Chris Katko

EDIT: My current project is making a square tower from the upper to lower bounds of the world geometry, which grew out of a project to make an observation tower on a mountain. Turn it pink and it would look like Bob is taking on The User. I don't know what I'm going to do with it when it's done; maybe carve big pictures in the side or pit a glass lighting tower through the middle. Right now it's just a big hole, so zombies that spawn underground just burn (and spiders that spawn above ground fall and die).

Post pictures!

CGamesPlay

I'm working on building one of these in the Nether. I currently have a handful of "bases" scattered about, starting from my spawn point which is a (very spartan) castle now, my main base which has a watervater to the lower levels of the map, a random igloo, and I plan a floating observation island accessible only from the Nether.

video

23yrold3yrold

Post pictures!

Eh; so far it's just a hole that proves I had an evening or two to burn. :p We'll see if it turns into anything presentable in time.

Neil Black

Eh; so far it's just a hole that proves I had an evening or two to burn. :p We'll see if it turns into anything presentable in time.

Post pictures!

someone972

I can't seem to connect to your server. Sometimes it will get to downloading terrain, and once I got in, but I didn't see anything but the sky. Is this a problem on my end or is there something wrong with the server? :'(

Chris Katko
Quote:

Post pictures!

Post pictures of you posting pictures!

Onewing

I can't seem to connect to your server. Sometimes it will get to downloading terrain, and once I got in, but I didn't see anything but the sky. Is this a problem on my end or is there something wrong with the server?

Same thing has been happening to me.

Vanneto

Same here. :-/

GameCreator

Quick questions for those who follow Minecraft more than me: how many players will the final, official multiplayer support? Will it be one large server by Notch? Also, is there a plan (or something already existing) to protect your creations from vandals? It would be cool to have a small area specifically assigned only to be "editabe" by you, maybe around your spawn area.

CursedTyrant

There are server mods that allow admins/ops/mods to designate a cube for a specific player to build in, and nobody else can edit stuff in that area.

23yrold3yrold

Well not only did I get my giant tower to bore to the center of the earth, but I found lava, water, and obsidian finally. Crafted a diamond pickaxe and made my Nether portal, so good day. I'm going to take some screenshots before I start actually customizing my giant tower/hole, because I have a few plans. :)

Also got enough gold to make pretty yellow armor, and over a full stack of iron bars. No diamond though. My diamond sword that I've had forever is down to about 75% durability. :(

Thomas Fjellstrom

You do realize that Gold is mostly useless right? Gold armor is as strong as wood armor, only its more expensive to make :P You're better off making Golden Apples and such out of it.

Also got enough gold to make pretty yellow armor, and over a full stack of iron bars.

In the world I used the plumper, I have full BLOCKS (plural) of iron :D Yeah, not only do I have full stacks, but to save space I've crafted them into full blocks. Its something like 9 bars per block. And I have at least one or two stacks of full blocks :D Craziness. Totally over plumped that world. Made it somewhat boring to be honest.

BAF

I made a nether portal. I didn't bother mining obsidian, rather, I just created a few buckets, made a mold, and built the portal in place. Worked quite well, if I do say so myself! :)

Chris Katko

TF: How the shit did you manage a quadruple post?

Thomas Fjellstrom

TF: How the shit did you manage a quadruple post?

Impatience. Also its Quintuple. Theres 5 of them. Site got really slow for posing, and it seems if I let it sit for a minute or so, it'd post the message, but not ever finish and let me know, so I'd stop it, and try again... Little did I know, it was actually posting some of them.

Chris Katko

C-C-C-Combo breaker!

BAF

I just came into this thread and got a blank page that said "DELETE FROM post_page_lookup WHERE post_id=891412 AND posts_per_page=25" ...

Upon refreshing, it came up normally, but wtf?

MiquelFire

Matthew may need to have his code checked.

CGamesPlay

At least Allegro.cc isn't as buggy as Minecraft multiplayer amirite?

23yrold3yrold

You do realize that Gold is mostly useless right? Gold armor is as strong as wood armor, only its more expensive to make :P

Well that sucks. Oh well, I look cool. 8-)

Thomas Fjellstrom

Well that sucks. Oh well, I look cool.

Blingin' it minecraft style yo ;)

Billybob

You do realize that Gold is mostly useless right? Gold armor is as strong as wood armor, only its more expensive to make

Or use it to make a Gold Watch.

Trezker

Can't you make an effective shiny armor with gold details?

23yrold3yrold

Gonna throw pictures of my little tower in here before I start "modifying" it.

Here's me about 5 blocks above the adminium with some lava, naturally-occurring obsidian, and ... daylight?

{"name":"602686","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b9ab5e01c88136332dc2cda2f8ea3b59.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b9ab5e01c88136332dc2cda2f8ea3b59"}602686

Same spot, angled straight up:

{"name":"602687","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/531fb8af3525eeca59b919e9e6e471b8.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/531fb8af3525eeca59b919e9e6e471b8"}602687

Same spot, except up a million stories looking down:

{"name":"602689","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d9c16ff90aecc6ae1da689feecea0fbe.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d9c16ff90aecc6ae1da689feecea0fbe"}602689

Each floor looks essentially like this:

{"name":"602688","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a3d825e293538885b56aac0de5074805.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a3d825e293538885b56aac0de5074805"}602688

View from the top floor looking at home base:

{"name":"602690","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c344538a7e6d22015a1edb8049072541.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c344538a7e6d22015a1edb8049072541"}602690

View from home base:

{"name":"602691","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4de309a4c28e97e5eafb6c1b9e88c7e0.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4de309a4c28e97e5eafb6c1b9e88c7e0"}602691

I'm probably going to make a lava waterfall down the middle, which should do good things for the overall lighting. Dirt doors mark off all the caverns I've found, so I'm probably going to start mining in a labyrinth sort of manner. I'll have to leave torch arrows so I can find my way back. O_O

Still amusing watching mobs that spawn above me fall and commit suicide. I come back to the center square sometimes for free string and arrows.

Billybob

I'd tap that. 8-)

Trezker

Are you building the famous Dark Tower?
Or perhaps the Icy Tower?

23yrold3yrold

Just doing what inspiration strikes me. :P

Onewing

Is there a way to use a booster on a powered minecart?

CGamesPlay

I don't see why a booster wouldn't work on a powered minecart. Are you having difficulty doing it?

CursedTyrant

Booster?

23yrold3yrold

Can't you put a furnace in a minecart for power? I've never tried it, but it's in the wiki ...

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Powered_Minecart

EDIT: nm, he obviously knows what a powered minecart is, I can't read ...

Onewing

I don't see why a booster wouldn't work on a powered minecart. Are you having difficulty doing it?

I tried a simple non-resetting booster. It works with a regular minecart, but the powered minecart actually slows down on the booster. :o

Samuel Henderson

I'm having trouble connecting to cgamesplay.com. It logs in and then seems to hang on 'Downloading terrain'. It either tells me the connection timed out or it drops me in the world but there is no terrain (only sky and clouds).

Has this happened to anyone else?

23yrold3yrold

I got that once a couple of days ago. Same thing, "Downloading terrain" for five minutes, then I'm floating in the sky. Haven't tried since.

CursedTyrant

Same here.

CGamesPlay

Okay so the server was configured with 1024M heap size but has 512M physical memory, plus it runs a webserver and stuff. I went ahead and fixed that up and as a result restarted the server so maybe one of those things will have fixed it :)

BAF

*cough*I mentioned that weeks ago*cough* :P (If I wasn't so lazy myself, I would have just fixed it)

Erikster

Well, I might as well show what I have. I love the skybridge I set up, but I haven't created a comprehensive mining system yet. I also created a mob trap (left side of the picture). The skybridge will also expand to other areas of my world when I find some redstone to play with. :D

Yes, those stumps are on fire. I'm a pyromaniac in Minecraft. :P

BAF

Psch, that's nothing. I lit a whole forest on fire, just so I could tell smokey to suck it.

Neil Black

In singleplayer, only YOU can prevent forest fires!

23yrold3yrold

I prevent forest fires by burning down everything flammable. Crisis averted.

In other news, I'm probably gong to make another "bridge to nowhere" to use up the several chests worth of cobblestone I have kicking around ...

Thomas Fjellstrom

Heh, I nearly have a double chest full of cobble stone... And when I'm not near a chest, I just throw it away randomly ;D

Samuel Henderson

Heh, I nearly have a double chest full of cobble stone... And when I'm not near a chest, I just throw it away randomly

Conversely, I never throw anything away. I have about 5 double chests of cobblestone between my outposts.

Hmmm... it just occurred to me that it would be really neat to have a tool (standalone or in game) that creates a list of everything the player has in his inventory and chests...

One immediate issue I see is that it would be hard to differentiate between player created chests, and naturally occurring chests (in dungeons).

Thomas Fjellstrom

Conversely, I never throw anything away. I have about 5 double chests of cobblestone between my outposts.

I only get rid of cobble stone or gravel/sand when I'm no where NEAR any of my bases, and I'm still mining, and NEED room for coal, iron and whatnot.

Samuel Henderson

I only get rid of cobble stone or gravel/sand when I'm no where NEAR any of my bases, and I'm still mining, and NEED room for coal, iron and whatnot.

When this happens I bore out a room and drop some chests down. Usually I will need to temporarily drop some cobblestone/dirt/gravel to make room for the chest though.

Thomas Fjellstrom

When this happens I bore out a room and drop some chests down. Usually I will need to temporarily drop some cobblestone/dirt/gravel to make room for the chest though.

I tend to have an issue with my concentration and memory, so I can't just plop down random rooms and expect to find them or even remember them later. I has to have a plan ;D

someone972

New server software is up, so no more playing on cgamesplay.com until someone updates it. I'd like to try hosting a server for a couple hours just to see how well my computer could handle it, but at the moment all 4 of my ram sticks are bad in some way, I'm currently running one gig (and will be RMA all four soon).

GameCreator

So, who here has mined their entire world and put it into chests?

Arthur Kalliokoski

So, who here has mined their entire world and put it into chests?

Pamela Anderson tried that (silicon is the most abundant element on Earth after oxygen) but failed.

gnolam

I guess everyone's seen the ALU, but it appears someone built a complete CPU as well. :o

23yrold3yrold

Wow. Very nice.

I have stacks upon stacks of redstone; I need to figure out something to do with it ...

Neil Black

I have stacks upon stacks of redstone; I need to figure out something to do with it ...

Firewall.

Erikster
gnolam said:

I guess everyone's seen the ALU, but it appears someone built a complete CPU as well.

I'm jelly.

How long will it be until people are playing Pong against an AI on Minecraft? o.O

Thomas Fjellstrom

If one of those sheep are the ball, I'm in for that. I HATE THOSE STUPID FN SHEEP!

ImLeftFooted

I turn all my cobblestone back into stone so it's prettier. As a bonus it gives you something to do with it.

Anyone else figure out that buckets of lava can be used in the furnace?

CursedTyrant

Seriously? How long does it last? :o

BAF

Yes, but it uses the bucket AND the lava, so it's a waste of resources. If you have a lot of extra coal, you're probably better off using that. Unless I have a lot of coal, I tend to use wood planks. They burn for the same length of time as a piece of raw wood, so it's like adding more burn time for free.

Samuel Henderson

Seriously? How long does it last?

It lasts 1000 seconds. Each operation (smelting, cooking) takes 10 seconds, so it can produce up to 100 items.

Aside from destroying the metal bucket, another caveat is that you need to back in time to drop more raw materials and collect the processed items to reach full potential.

I use coal for smelting and only smelt when I have a multiple of 8 ore. For cooking food I use wood.

Thread #605425. Printed from Allegro.cc