Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Is there really no way to set spawn points without using some external app?

FUCK

I like to explore new worlds until I find a location that feels "homey"; and that's where I setup camp and start building stuff...but when I die, I have to walk like 5 miles just to get back there.
:'(

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Make yourself a compass, and build a fully automatic mine car track from your spawn to your house :D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Minecraft still gets my CPU usage to 100%. It lags like crazy at times and I can't play it in fullscreen. You know why? Java... Shitty shitty.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Make yourself a compass, and build a fully automatic mine car track from your spawn to your house

I'm just using NBTedit ;D

Vanneto said:

Minecraft still gets my CPU usage to 100%. It lags like crazy at times and I can't play it in fullscreen

Same. LFD2, TF2, CS:S, etc. never lag, but Minecraft can lag like a mother fucker. And it's RAM usage keeps shooting up to >= 1 gb :-/

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think the reason for Minecraft's issues is maybe notch isn't the best programmer ever, or he hasn't had time to do some real bug fixes yet with core things. That is things that would take a week or more to fix. Seems the weekly releases keep him to fixing small stuff.

Though I can see how a large world like minecraft can use up a fair bit of memory, especially since the code seems to be SUPER OO. Not only is each loaded chunk of the world like 300x300x128 or something, but its all kept in memory as objects. Then theres all the monsters and things like mine carts and redstone that needs to be "running" in that entire 300x300x128 area... It can add up.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Reddit's Minecraft server has been busy! They built a pyramid! :o

{"name":"ctSF2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9f7181a46bd8db6dc2950747471c7ce5.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9f7181a46bd8db6dc2950747471c7ce5"}ctSF2.jpg
{"name":"QHb7Y.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/45daa8036a761d9ba391d44768f8f5f1.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/45daa8036a761d9ba391d44768f8f5f1"}QHb7Y.jpg
{"name":"evjVG.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/6\/06efe92f987b0db01fcd461ede076e01.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/6\/06efe92f987b0db01fcd461ede076e01"}evjVG.jpg
{"name":"r0DKR.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5ba518457b5e386f278fc33027b98503.png","w":854,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5ba518457b5e386f278fc33027b98503"}r0DKR.jpg

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Reddit's Minecraft server has been busy! They built a pyramid!

Let my people go!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I wonder if they know that real pyramids are mostly solid? ;D

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Maybe they're going to build traps on the inside?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If that pyramid isn't solid, then what's so impressive about it? ???

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

BAF said:

If that pyramid isn't solid, then what's so impressive about it?

???

The thing is the maximum world height, carved from the Earth and then replaced piece-by-piece. What's not impressive about it? If it was solid, it wouldn't have been a beautiful view from the inside. It would have been solid.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Even a hollow pyramid of that size is pretty impressive. Thats a rather large in game object. Given that it looks like it hits the sky, its massive.

--

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Is the Reddit server public? If so, is there anyway I can join in on the fun? (yes, I have searched google but found nothing)

In capitalist America bank robs you.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I have a large observation tower that hits max world height.

Were all the materials actually mined for the pyramid?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It looks like they were taking the materials from the center of the pyramid, as if they built it around a large hill or a mountain.

BAF said:

I have a large observation tower that hits max world height.

And how many blocks wide is it ;)

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Not as wide as the pyramid, but a large group of people building this is hardly impressive, at least to me. The impressiveness rises a bit if they actually mined 100% of the materials themselves, but it still seems like no big deal to me.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Please, start on it yourself then. We'll wait.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Why is it impressive? Did it require lots of skill? ???

Is playing Halo for 8 hours a day impressive?

It seems like the only thing here is how much time you have to spend doing it. I find that playing with blocks for a long period of time is no more impressive than doing anything else with that same time, whether it be working, eating, sleeping, etc...

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Please, start on it yourself then. We'll wait.

I didn't say it wasn't time consuming. I just said it didn't impress me. A pyramid is fairly unoriginal, so the only way it could be impressive would be due to its massive size or the fact that no cheating was done. And when you amortize the amount of material mined and the size based on the number of people working on it, it quickly pales in comparison to many other things creating in minecraft.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You two should play more minecraft. Might find some of your kin in the depths.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I do play minecraft. That doesn't help me understand why this giant pyramid should be particularly impressive. :-/

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I'm impressed that no one griefed it. Where's my TNT?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm impressed that no one griefed it. Where's my TNT?

You know what would be interesting? If that mound inside the pyramid was mostly TNT and they then set it all off. :D

--

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

You know what would be interesting? If that mound inside the pyramid was mostly TNT and they then set it all off.

If TNT works the same way it did when we had our allegro server, only the person who set it off would see the explosion, everyone else would just see a huge whole appear. That is assuming that the server wouldn't crap out due to the memory issues concerned with updating that many objects at once.

I seem to recall the allegro server having issues with some of our bigger experiments...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I seem to recall the allegro server having issues with some of our bigger experiments...

It chugged back to life after a while. And the results were spectacular.

Go to: