Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Mark said:

NO DONt --- aght--- Now I'm the only one!! :(

I also resist.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Billybob said:

Your doors, they are confusing.

There are two double doors, separated by a glass block. I wanted to make a lever that makes all the doors open/close at the same time.

Turns out that this isn't so simple with double doors, would need to make some fancy mechanism to make it work (NOT gate or something like that) and it just isn't worth it. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Now I'm the only one!!

No you're not.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

NO DONt --- aght--- Now I'm the only one!!

Already I'm enjoying, but I just started, so it's all new to me. Had a few good laughs from the little I played.

Right now, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just going around testing how they things react. I guess I was playing in survival mode, because it gets really dangerous at night. So I'm thinking of building a safehouse/warehouse to start working in when it's night time. Why not, right? ;D

It's kind of what I always wanted in a lego game.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Evert said:

No you're not.

That's good. I think I can hold out. I'm too poor at the moment, anyway (even for €9.95) :-[

Onewing said:

It's kind of what I always wanted in a lego game.

DONT" TELL ME AAAAAAHHHH

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

DONT" TELL ME AAAAAAHHHH

Maybe some epic music will change your mind...

video

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

That's just too awesome. I can't even recall any MMO game having a trailer that epic.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I would hardly describe Minecraft as an MMO.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

I would hardly describe Minecraft as an MMO.

Thats good, because no-one did.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thomas said:

Thats good, because no-one did.

So, what's the point to comparing it to an MMO ?

Trezker said:

That's just too awesome. I can't even recall any MMO game having a trailer that epic.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So, what's the point to comparing it to an MMO ?

Probably just that MMOs like to do "epic".

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I figured EVE online should have some epic trailers, but the first few I found didn't have that much feeling. Huge battles, but not huge feeling.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Should I try this game?

-----------

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Yes.

Unless the price of "free" costs too much, then I'd stick to playing with rocks and sticks.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Rocks and sticks are also "free", and if "free" costs too much then they're out of your price range as well. But there's also an opportunity cost, i.e. would you be wasting time finding out you don't like the game after all when you could have been doing a favorite activity instead.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Should I try this game?

Everybody's different. If one of these words intrigue you, then you should try this game: sandbox, exploring, being creative, building, destroying.

I'd probably have a few more words if I had played the multiplayer version, but so far I've only dabbled in the single player.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

, i.e. would you be wasting time finding out you don't like the game after all when you could have been doing a favorite activity instead.

Now you're just trying to start some crap. :P

If the opportunity cost is too high for you to try a video game for a few minutes, why are you asking if you should try it?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Notch adjusted the spawn rates for monsters again: http://notch.tumblr.com/

I had already secured my mine to the point that seeing a monster was a rare and manageable occurrence, even with the increased spawn rate.

Is anyone from here planning on playing SMP once some more bug fixes are made?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I'll probably start playing multiplayer once most of the major things (redstone etc) work. I'll only play seriously if I'm playing on a server that I know will be around; last time I built something in multiplayer the server disappeared.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Rocks and sticks are also "free",

The rocks and sticks in your backyard are your property, which you paid for, so those aren't free. Rocks and sticks at the park are public property, which you paid for with your tax dollars. Rocks and sticks in the streets, sidewalks, etc are, again, public property, paid for by you.

Rocks and sticks on other people's lawns aren't your property. Taking them is illegal. So, I wouldn't call that free either.

Where are you getting these free rocks and sticks? :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've been paid to remove rocks and sticks from people's property...

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'll probably start playing multiplayer once most of the major things (redstone etc) work.

Yeah, I'll probably get into it once BETA hits.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

How high are the bandwidth requirements on hosting such a server?
I have a computer I could probably spare for the sake of hosting, but if it'll suck due to crappy home internet I shan't bother. (Especially since it will require finding out how to allow people to connect through the boundary of my router)

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I find that most computer games are not really great fun in the first few minutes. All of my favourite games have taken a large time investment to "get into". Getting into a game might involve building up my skills with the controls; learning to appreciate some of the strategies, becoming immersed in the story... that kind of thing. The game should have some depth and be challenging and so on. One isn't likely to enjoy the first few minutes of a game like nethack or dwarf fortress, but that doesn't mean they aren't good games.

From what I've heard about minecraft, punching animals and whacking blocks with a pickax doesn't really sound like a lot of fun. But exploring and building and thinking and planning might be fun...

-----------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

From what I've heard about minecraft, punching animals and whacking blocks with a pickax doesn't really sound like a lot of fun. But exploring and building and thinking and planning might be fun...

It can be, it is/was for me. But with minecart physics sucking so horribly badly, its not as fun as it could be.

I just don't know what I want to do next. Kinda stuck.

Playing with peaceful mode off might help a little. Then I could play with some TNT!

--

Go to: