Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

It's all moot; I got no lava on my map.

Are you sure you looked everywhere? It's an infinite map after all ;)

I'm in the same boat. I've been scouring for surface lava springs, so far I've got two obsidian blocks.

I've never seen lava on the surface ???

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I've seen lava on the surface plenty of times, so it is definitely generated there too. :)

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've only played the free demo thing in a browser, but I've always hit lava when digging down far enough to see what happens. Or the monsters show up in the good version?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Are you sure you looked everywhere? It's an infinite map after all ;)

I was able to locate some lava pools using cartographer. Basically, all the new chunks around the initial world have the lava pools... but there are none no where near my main base & mine (at the time I thought this was really lucky ;D)

Quote:

I've never seen lava on the surface ???

It is somewhat rare. The best way to find it (without using cartographer) is to explore at night. You can see the light from the lava spring a long way away. Unfortunately I've harvested all the above ground lava springs within a reasonable distance of my base and still only have 3 blocks of obsidian.

I think it's time to gear up for a lava hunting expedition. I'll pack plenty of food, armor, a diamond sword & pickaxe and set off exploring far away from home. I can use my trusty compass to find my way home again ;D

I've only played the free demo thing in a browser, but I've always hit lava when digging down far enough to see what happens. Or the monsters show up in the good version?

Both happen. The lava layer exists as pools of lava located just above bedrock/adminium. Sometimes a map will have no lava pools, sometimes alot. Monsters now spawn much more frequently the deeper you go, especially if you have poor lighting. Before, the light from lava used to be enough to prevent most monsters from spawning, I have no idea if that is the case anymore though.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

The Halloween update has wrecked my base. Fortunately, when I saw the update feature list, I moved all my stuff to the surface, but the old skeleton mine now is a literal skeleton mine, as creeps show up all over the place even in the lit areas.

I really want to try out The Slip, but don't have enough Obsidian lined up at the moment. I need to set up an Obsidian farm.

Does anybody know what actually was improved with regards to multiplayer support? Minecarts still ruin everything and we're all still invincible :-/

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I really want to try out The Slip, but don't have enough Obsidian lined up at the moment. I need to set up an Obsidian farm.

Notch actually renamed it to The Nether, AFAIK. As for multiplayer:

Quote:

Now I will rest for a few days, as I’m utterly exhausted. After that, I will get cracking on Survival Mode Multiplayer, as it’s still the highest priority for the game.

I think he hasn't really done anything for multiplayer yet.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Portals don't work in multiplayer yet. >:(

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I really wish he would finish multiplayer to the point where it plays like singleplayer. Sure new stuff is fun and all, but I'd like to be able to coordinate projects with other people and actually have stuff work.

So far the only thing I don't like about the Nether (the slip for those who haven't played recently) is that it moves portals to the nearest landmass. This resulted in me having to build up the ground until it was far enough out to match the position in the real world that it was supposed to be. At least I got quite a few portals worth of free obsidian from all the improper positions ::) (Still haven't mined them all up, 3 and a half minutes per portal).

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Unfortunately I've harvested all the above ground lava springs within a reasonable distance of my base and still only have 3 blocks of obsidian.

In case anyone doesn't know yet:

At least I got quite a few portals worth of free obsidian from all the improper positions

Indeed. After building your first portal, you can destroy the portals that are automatically generated in the real world as your source of free obsidian.

Or use the vast quantities of lava in the Nether.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

So what's this whole minecraft thing all about?

It looks way too fun. It it something I really want to get addicted to? ;)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

when you die, you lose whatever is on your inventory (items disappear instead of being dropped to the ground).

Looks like Notch has just fixed this.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Well, I just went on a merry expedition. Still no lava, but the mob count at night has been cranked up to mosh pit levels. O_o

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Guh. I finally succumbed. I bought minecraft.

Been playing it for hours and hours.

And a few minutes ago, my laptop locked up! woo!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Well, I just went on a merry expedition. Still no lava, but the mob count at night has been cranked up to mosh pit levels. O_o

Yeah, it's actually kind of scary to be out at night away from your main base now.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've found bits of lava spread out in the mine I'm building. I just haven't bothered to create a bucket yet to do anything with it.

edit: Ehh, not lava. Nevermind.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I've found bits of lava spread out in the mine I'm building. I just haven't bothered to create a bucket yet to do anything with it.

edit: Ehh, not lava. Nevermind.

Let me guess... red stuff? You can make a compass (and a watch) using it. These are the only things I really use it for. Although, with the current crazy monster spawn rate I can see myself using it for wiring up automatic doors and traps.

Also, lava is very tricky. I usually keep a bucket of water handy just in case I accidentally light myself on fire while trying to collect lava.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Let me guess... red stuff? You can make a compass (and a watch) using it.

Yeah, found a bunch[1] of it. But I also found a LARGE cave right after posting that, that has a crap ton of lava in it, as well as waterfalls. I think I'll try making some obsidian ;D

My problem so far is not finding enough iron ore.

References

1. I probably have 138 of the stones

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

So what's this whole minecraft thing all about?

Yeah, it seems like you don't get it until you actually play it. I'm intrigued.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Yeah, found a bunch

Red stuff is almost over abundant. I have over 12 stacks of the stuff.

Quote:

My problem so far is not finding enough iron ore.

I had that problem too, not very much iron in my current map. One thing I found that helps is to use a stone pick axe for rock, coal, and iron, and have an iron pickaxe for gold, diamond, and redstuff. Also, I've found branch mining just above the lava pool layer to be quite successful at extracting every block of iron ore in a given area.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I haven't had much time to play since the update. I made a portal, explored the new dimension for a few minutes, and that's about it.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I had trouble with iron too, until I went hunting for lava. Found a few caves, including one so full of ore blocks I dubbed it Ironforge and set some markers so I could find my way back and plunder it. ;D

Still no lava though. :'(

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

The "red stuff" is officially called Redstone, btw. And I've never found ANY of it.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Redstone hangs out near the bottom of the map. I usually have multiple stacks of it, I don't know how you can not find it if you've dug that deep. Unless you're playing on a file from before Redstone came out and haven't generated new chunks.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I managed to die right after that. Go me. Now all my fancy stuff is gone. I even had some diamond :(

I might start a new map later. I've made a bit of a mess out of this one.

But man, I've played so much today I see blocks when I close my eyes :( probably going to dream about it tonight.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

But man, I've played so much today I see blocks when I close my eyes

I used to do that after playing too much computer chess... (seeing patterns of movement as chess pieces move)

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: