Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

An Ly said:

Keep it coming!

So theres nothing strange about blinding, searing pain when I go out into the daylight? Even though it can last for a couple minutes?

I've had that problem since I was in elementary. After a few hours inside in the building, I'd go out for recess and OH GOD THE PAIN :( It has to be a relatively bright day mind you. But I don't recall anyone else having quite such a problem with it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Know any magickal treatments for "visual snow" that wikipedia does not? ;)

Is kale, or other foods high in lutein and zeaxanthin, really good for your eyes?

Is this guy crazy?

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Is this guy [www.healingtheeye.com] crazy?

Judging from his way of using huge font sizes, bold and underline, lots and lots of text, yes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

But how come young people need convex glasses, say around +1 - +1.5? I understand lenses like +5. But +1? It's only a slight increase of tension of the muscles. Or so I would think.

Yup you're right. +1.00 isn't a massive prescription. However, there are other systems in the eye which are inter-related. For example, theres the convergence system (where you eyes move inwards and outwards) which is closely linked to the focusing system you correctly outlined.

It is normal that when you accommodate (or tense the muscles around the lens) to look up close, your eyes turn in. This is so both the focusing and the eyes are pointed at the same plane.

However, even small prescriptions (say +1.00) can throw this system out and you can get mild headaches or lose concentration when reading. Blur is usually another symptom if you persist with the close work.

This is just one example of many in which +1.00 would be prescribed.

BAF said:

I actually don't remember. I do know I've closed eyes, but I don't remember the result. Sometimes it is really noticeable, other times it isn't. Possibly just eye fatigue/general tiredness/dry eyes or something?

Very possible. Could be a whole host of things. Your optom would be able to diagnose it.

I've also noticed that just my left eye is slightly red-green color blind. Is having one color blind eye normal?

How did you come to this conclusion? I'd say this is quite odd as red/green colour DEFICIENCY (no one is really colour BLIND) is hereditary and so occurs in both eyes, usually equally.

Some eye diseases cause changes in colour vision (e.g. cataracts) and so do some medications. Better check with your optom.

So theres nothing strange about blinding, searing pain when I go out into the daylight? Even though it can last for a couple minutes?

Oh sorry I missed your question! No it is not normal. Pain is always bad. See your optometrist and if your eye health checks out, get some good quality sunglasses.

Derezo said:

Know any magickal treatments for "visual snow [en.wikipedia.org]" that
wikipedia does not?

Nope.

Quote:

Is kale, or other foods high in lutein and zeaxanthin, really good for your eyes?

It is currently available in pill form:

http://www.blackmores.com.au/products/lutein-vision

and is recommended by ophthalmologists for people who have macula degeneration or are suspects.

There are other treatments for macula degeneration

http://www.lucentis.com/lucentis/index.html

...which is an injection into the eye and studies have shown some improvment in vision.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ah, I was worried you disappeared!

An Ly said:

Oh sorry I missed your question! No it is not normal. Pain is always bad. See your optometrist and if your eye health checks out, get some good quality sunglasses.

If you see my follow-ups about it, Its been happening since I was a child. I've had several/many checkups since then. Course I never mentioned it. I'm also rather used to Dr.s and professionals just saying "Its fine, no problem" for any a number of things I manage to talk about. So I don't often feel like talking about things that only bug me sometimes.

Quote:

See your optometrist and if your eye health checks out, get some good quality sunglasses.

Glasses of any kind bug my nose. It feels like theres 500g sitting on it when its only a very light pair of glasses. Its really annoying.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

If you see my follow-ups about it, Its been happening since I was a child. I've had several/many checkups since then. Course I never mentioned it. I'm also rather used to Dr.s and professionals just saying "Its fine, no problem" for any a number of things I manage to talk about. So I don't often feel like talking about things that only bug me sometimes.

If you don't mention something, usually professionals don't check it. The standard eye exam only checks for common problems (e.g. blurry vision) and common eye diseases (e.g cataracts).

It may be something rare or unusual which is not detected by standard eye exams. Next time you see your optometrist, let him or her know about it.

Quote:

Glasses of any kind bug my nose. It feels like theres 500g sitting on it when its only a very light pair of glasses. Its really annoying.

More so than the pain?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

An Ly said:

More so than the pain?

The pain does go away. But the annoyance of glasses does not ;) But yeah I'll talk about the pain next time I go in.

--

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I remember when I was younger, I could often notice a very different perception of colours in my left and right eye. Sometimes I still can. I think it has to do with the simple fact that both eyes have had a slightly different amount of light (and maybe light of different colour) for some minutes. Say you have a bright window to the left of you and the left eye is therefore exposed a bit more than the right one. Move from this position to looking at something colourful where both eyes are very evenly exposed. Switch rapidly eyes by covering them with the palm of your hand and you will notice a big difference in colours. The effect lasts only a minute or so. And you don't notice the different while looking with both eyes.

This might be a white balance thing, too. The eyes are temporarily balancing differently. In Finland we have this special moment we call "the blue moment". It's when there's snow outside and it's cloudy. When you are outside, you might notice that everything is blue, but especially when you're inside, surrounded by electric light (tungsten bulbs) and happen to look out from the window, you see an extremely blue colour on everything. It only shows how much our eyes adapt to the white balance. And I guess the eyes can do it separately to some extent.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

I remember when I was younger, I could often notice a very different perception of colours in my left and right eye. Sometimes I still can. I think it has to do with the simple fact that both eyes have had a slightly different amount of light (and maybe light of different colour) for some minutes. Say you have a bright window to the left of you and the left eye is therefore exposed a bit more than the right one. Move from this position to looking at something colourful where both eyes are very evenly exposed. Switch rapidly eyes by covering them with the palm of your hand and you will notice a big difference in colours.

Ah right. This could be due to the saturation of the receptors in the back of the eye. When you constantly shine a light in an eye or just stare at a particular picture, you get a desenitisation of the recpetors in the back of the eye (this is the eye adapting to a constant image), much like the burn in effect you get on old tv screens when a picture is shown for too long. This is temporary and should revert back to normal within seconds.

So say you shine a light in an eye (a small one) for a few seconds, that saturates the cones in the back of the eye, they become less sensitive to light. If you turn off the light and look away, you see an afterimage of the light which looks a different colour.

This effect can be used for optical illusions such as

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilac_chaser

Way cool.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

When I was a kid we use to stair at a light in front of one of the churches. One of those sign illuminating ones that are ultra bright. We called it "going to purple world" because everything turned purple on us for maybe a minute or so.

.. am I going to get eye cancer? Or is that why I've got visual snow? :P

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Having worn glasses for way over 20 years, I love it how people who never have complain about the annyonance of glasses.

You don't deserve my sig.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

jhuuskon said:

Having worn glasses for way over 20 years, I love it how people who never have complain about the annyonance of glasses.

I have a pair actually. But its such a low prescription it seems more like a couple pieces of glass. The Optometrist also said I could skip them if I didn't think I really needed them, so most times I don't use them at all.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

Here's a new question. I just recently got some new high resolution fundus images and the light reflectance inside the veins is causing me a lot of difficulty. Most of the reflection is in the red channel (of course) but there is still sufficient change in the green channel to screw things up. Is this a really common problem because so far I know that my data has been "hand selected" by experts for all kinds of various reasons.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

Is "optometrist" synonymous with "eye doctor"?

edit:
got distracted by something at work...

I was going to say 'essentially yes'.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

That would be an ophthalmologist. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

An Ly said:

How did you come to this conclusion?

I closed one eye and did a red-green color blindness test. I think I've always been this way -- I haven't noticed it getting worse.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

bamccaig said:

Hell no. For example in my case, due to my esotropia optometrists are not allowed to prescribe me glasses, I must always see an opthalmologist, which is about twice as expensive as seeing an optometrist.

Then there's also opticians, who actually manufacture the glasses.

You don't deserve my sig.

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Derezo said:

When I was a kid we use to stair at a light in front of one of the churches. One of those sign illuminating ones that are ultra bright. We called it "going to purple world" because everything turned purple on us for maybe a minute or so.

See the older posts about saturation of receptors. It is just above your post.

bamccaig said:

If by doctor you mean my name is "Dr Ly" then sadly no. In Australia, optometrists (who have a Bachelor of Optometry) are just plain old Mr/Ms/Mrs. Unless you do a phD of course.

In America, optometrists graduate with a Dr in front of their names. This also means I cannot practice in the US with my degree, even though we do about the same thing.

Ophthalmologists who do the surgery for the eyes are doctors as they do their Medicine degree before becoming ophthals.

Goalie Ca said:

Here's a new question. I just recently got some new high resolution fundus images and the light reflectance inside the veins is causing me a lot of difficulty. Most of the reflection is in the red channel (of course) but there is still sufficient change in the green channel to screw things up. Is this a really common problem because so far I know that my data has been "hand selected" by experts for all kinds of various reasons.

The reflections would probably mean your data came from young patients. Younger people have more reflective fundus from the "inner limiting membrane". Can't do much about it sorry. Older patients tend to lose these reflections.

I closed one eye and did a red-green color blindness test. I think I've always been this way -- I haven't noticed it getting worse.

Which colour test did you do? Just the standard Ishihara (confetti) test?

jhuuskon said:

Hell no. [www.medicinenet.com] For example in my case, due to my esotropia optometrists are not allowed to prescribe me glasses, I must always see an opthalmologist, which is about twice as expensive as seeing an optometrist.

Then there's also opticians, who actually manufacture the glasses.

In Australia, Optometrists do most of the work for strabs, especially esos which are relatively easy to fix without surgery. When surgery is required or preferred by the patient, ophthalmologists are involved.

When people see ophthalmologists, they ophthal usually does the surgery then the patients are passed onto orthoptists who deal more with the vision training side of things. Orthoptists cannot write prescriptions though.

In Australia, the people who make the spectacles are called "dispensers".

Opticians is not a term used in Australia a lot. But if it is, it is used as an all encompassing term for anyone to do with the eyes.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

An Ly said:

Which colour test did you do? Just the standard Ishihara (confetti) test?

The one where you have to read the numbers in the circles. My one eye only fails on the harder ones -- so it's not so bad.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

In the UK, I'm fairly sure we use 'optician' to refer to the person who does the tests and so on, i.e. what you call an optometrist. It might be technically incorrect but we all do it :)

Oh, question - is it true that the genes leading to colour blindness in men tend to lead to 4D colour perception in women? I definitely heard it somewhere, but last time I mentioned it to someone, they didn't think it was true. If it is true, it must be quite a curse; TV screens and the like would never live up to the real world.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I guess Matthew should give you a custom title because you have been pretty helpful around (^.^)

I am 31 and my eyesight is still changing. Two years ago it was around 5 in each eye, and now it is 7. Fault is kind of mine, though, I don't go often to the doctor, and now I am doing something nobody should do: during day I use my old lenses, and during night, the new ones. Playing with two different graduations surely makes my eyes tired faster. Also, do wearing smoked (almost black, no idea how they are called in English, imagine sunglasses but not as black) lenses during night affect eyesight in the long term?

Is there anything that, long term, can damage eyesight, like listening to loud music can do to your eardrums?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

4D colour perception

WTF is that? I've seen the illusion where a red square on a blue background seems to float "above" the background, because the chromatic aberration of the eye makes the red seem closer, but I thought that worked for both sexes.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I think Bruce is talking about women who se a 4th genuine colour. Normal colour sight is based on the RGB model, believe it or not. We have red, green and blue cones in the retina. Natural visible light has all wave lengths between 400 and 700 nm (correct me on the actual values) but our RGB cones get trigged only on three different wave lengths, kind of. So when we see a yellow wavelength, our red and green cones get triggered (they are not that picky, there are overlapping bandwidths for red and green cones). So it's not a big deal if we look at a monitor, which emits red and green together and not real yellow. Unless we have yellow cones in the retina and have learned to percept the real yellow wavelength as yellow. In that case the red-green on a monitor will look like something else.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

How do you know that what I've been taught to call "green" wouldn't be what you would call "red" if you could perceive what I see?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: