Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

10/10 is normal, but average is 14/10? Wouldn't that make 14/10 normal? You Europeans make my head hurt.

I think they don't mean normal for a person, but a normal baseline after which you need glasses. Makes sense.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd think they meant 10/10 was optimal, but 14/10 was the arithmetic mean after you averaged in all the four-eyed people.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

BAF said:

10/10 is normal, but average is 14/10? Wouldn't that make 14/10 normal? You Europeans make my head hurt.

He said that 14/10 was the average for fighter pilots.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

So fighter pilots can "read" something at 14 meters that most people would have to be at most 10 meters away?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thanks Neil for reading me correctly. I exactly said fighters pilots.

Arthur, I don't really know :-( I know that a 14/10 will have a better acuity than a 7/10 viewer thought ;-p
Edit:
From here, it really looks at what we use there.

Edit: that one IS what we use there (sized for a 1280x800 screen, reader at 5 meters):
http://www.opticien-lentilles.com/acuite/acuite_visuelle_15pouces4_1280x800.html

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

That was their fail, not yours. :-/

Indeed. When I replied to Baf I failed to re-read what Gull said :( I just assumed baf actually understood what it was he was talking about :'( I'll try and not make the same mistake in the future.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

I've read of color-blind Spider Monkeys having stem cell injections into their eyes enabeling full-color vision. This is a long shot but do you know if any more more progress has been made in this field toward applying this technique to humans?

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

If you're talking about my flashlight story, yes, the red part was quite a bit brighter than necessary to see it was red. I can't seem to remember to try it again when I wake up groggily in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

Since others here say that it's been known that cones respond slower I'll drop it.

It is an interesting phenomenon that I can't reproduce. The thing which doesn't sit well with me is that the cones are in your central vision and the rods in the periphery. And if you can see the colour, you're using your cones for both the tip and handle so I don't see how it would be explained in this manner.

Dario ff said:

Based on how many consults you've answered here, how much money would you've earned already?

In AU, a "full consultation every 2 years) nets me about $57 AUD. There are also other item numbers which give more or less. Average $ per exam would be about $30. You can do the maths.

Note: Consults usually take about 30min.

Arthur, I don't really know :-( I know that a 14/10 will have a better acuity than a 7/10 viewer thought ;-p
Edit:
From here [en.wikipedia.org], it really looks at what we use there.

Edit: that one IS what we use there (sized for a 1280x800 screen, reader at 5 meters):

I don't see the number 14 anywhere. Although the 20/20 system in on the RHS of the chart.

I've read of color-blind Spider Monkeys having stem cell injections into their eyes enabeling full-color vision. This is a long shot but do you know if any more more progress has been made in this field toward applying this technique to humans?

I think the experiment gave the spider monkeys the ability to pass a test which requires colour vision. Which is different from having actual real colour vision.

e.g. There is actually a contact lens which when worn by colour deficient people that allows them to pass the Ishihara colour vision test. However, you won't get the colour sensations everyone else has. You can just pass the test.

This is a good start though but I haven't heard of any trials on humans yet.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

An ly said:

I don't see the number 14 anywhere. Although the 20/20 system in on the RHS of the chart.

Scroll down the page. It's going from 1/10 to 16/10 by 1/10 step.
Second link by the way. I'm pretty sure you already took a look at the first one ;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

An Ly said:

It is an interesting phenomenon that I can't reproduce. The thing which doesn't sit well with me is that the cones are in your central vision and the rods in the periphery. And if you can see the colour, you're using your cones for both the tip and handle so I don't see how it would be explained in this manner.

Perhaps the Pulfrich effect is the explanation?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: