Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Ask Me Anything About Optometry/Eyes
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

An Ly said:

Don't think this craze has hit Australia yet. Why not just drink the vodka?

Gets into yer bloodstream quickeh.

That film was released in 2000. ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

That film was released in 2000. ;)

Anyway, I'm sure kids don't pickup on this kind of thing until several years later.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

jhuuskon said:

How has Allegro helped you, your an optometrist.

I am a computer scientists. In my case by learning game programing here, I was able to blow pass all of the programing colleges courses with ease to get my 4 year degree.

something like this would not apply to you.

I didn't say it helped me? I just said I owe to this community. See I'm an amateur programmer and have done a few things in allegro previously and everyone here has been nice when I've asked silly questions. Just giving back.

As for your strab, quick question: when you wear your specs, does it disappear completely? And are they long sighted or short sighted specs?

For you to see in 3D, you'll need the specs, but also some vision training. Have you done this before? Also, how old are you (not being creepy, it is relevant).

Thomas: Get it checked. Trust me on this one. Hopefully nothing comes of it. How much is it to get your eyes checked where you are?

Mark: I can't see how Vodka in eyeballs got off the ground in 1st place. Seems so... painful.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Have you thought about opening a store called iDoctor?

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

I could deck it out like an Apple store.

I had been thinking "Eyes Eyes Baby" before though.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

An Ly said:

Thomas: Get it checked. Trust me on this one. Hopefully nothing comes of it. How much is it to get your eyes checked where you are?

I have full coverage, which is nice.

Oh, I was wondering if you know anything about eye lid twitching. It is so freaking annoying. I wish it would stop.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

An Ly said:

See I'm an amateur programmer

You're a bit more than that. The Blocks games are awesome. :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Thomas: No reason not to get those things checked then!

Eyelid twitching can he caused by quite a few things. Most common are:

- Stress
- Smoking
- Caffeine
- Eye infections (get em checked)

Bruce said:

You're a bit more than that. The Blocks games are awesome.

AAwwwwww :-* (is that blush icon?)

Thanks, that made my day. I should remake it for some newer platform. Which reminds me, I was thinking of doing some development for iphone/ipad. Any ideas on optom related stuff people would be interested in?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Right now its almost certainly because I'm tired. But my eyelids will sometimes twitch when I'm not tired. Half the time its caffeine I bet, the other half, I dunno.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Thomas: If it means anything, it happens to me too. Quite annoying when I'm concentrating on something (e.g. dota).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, probably nothing. Was just wondering :)

--

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

HMM it seems to have miss quoted jhuuskon instead of me.

An Ly said:

Oh, lastly, get your eyes checked regularly. Why do things yourself when you have professionals who can help you out?

I don't have eye insurance. things are very costly over here.
I a more do it my self type of guy.
Plus i have adjusted my eyeball lens before.
I woke up one morning and felt something new the corners of my eyes.
When I went to the bath room a saw that my lens was miss place.

I put it back in place myself a regular person would probably run to the hospital to pay some huge bill for some thing so simple.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

piccolo: So you wear contact lenses? Even to sleep?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I know some cases of strabismus that have been cured only halfway. In the 70's they used to make children wear glasses with the active eye covered so the lazy eye would get practice. When the eyes started to align, all treatment stopped and they obviously thought it was fine by that. But some kind of 3D training was missing. My wife has rather poor 3D vision and her lazy eye is still weaker, though the visual strabismus isn't there anymore.

Among my pupils some suffer from strabismus and I find it strange that they don't treat it, knowing how untreated strabismus completely destroys the 3D vision.

An Ly said:

He once dreamed about picking accidentally up a transsexual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Yeh strabismus is tough to fix. Usually you see it in young children who aren't so keen on wearing specs, let alone a patch and following strict exercise regimes.

Which is sad because training does help immensely and 3D vision is possible with work. Getting the 2 eyes aligned is just the 1st step in the process.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced 3D movies are the future.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I'm bored. So I may as well help out a great community who I owe a lot to. I'm a bank account adviser. Ask me anything you want to know about your bank accounts, be sure to give your information as clearly as possible!

J/K, I have a normal question. I'm just 16 years old, but so far I've never had troubles with my eyes. I can see things from really far away distances, as well as closely, and so, I was never told to use glasses or lens. Which kind of surprises me, considering I spend a lot of time in front of the monitor, and I'm mostly used to CRT monitors.

All of the people in my family use glasses, with the exception of my brother(24). Should I expect to become a blind sighted bull in need of glasses when I pass my 20s? :o

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

An Ly said:

No it was a clear flexable thing covering my eye ball. it was pealing off of my eye.

Edit it felt like a contact but it was sticky and a lot thinker

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Dario: 16 is still young and it is not uncommon to need specs in the teenage years or early adulthood. I wouldn't worry about it though but keep getting checked just to make sure.

Piccolo: is the flexible thing a part of your eye or something artificial?

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

An Ly said:

As for your strab, quick question: when you wear your specs, does it disappear completely? And are they long sighted or short sighted specs?

It disappears completely when I'm viewing through my right (dominant) eye, it's slighty visible (but noticeably less so than without glasses) when I use my left one. I'm slightly far-sighted, my lenses are in the +1..+1.5 region IIRC.

Quote:

For you to see in 3D, you'll need the specs, but also some vision training. Have you done this before? Also, how old are you (not being creepy, it is relevant).

Never heard of it before. Also, 26.

My treatment consisted of an eyepatch when I was a toddler, three surgeries (the last one when i was 7) and constant glass-wearing.

You don't deserve my sig.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Let's say you were on Mars, and you just released a huge amount of oxygen into the air from this big mountain... In the process of doing that you flew out onto the Martian surface, but the oxygen had not spread yet. Would your eyes bug out of your head like in the picture above, and would they go back to normal once the oxygen from the mountain spread to the whole planet?

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

jhuuskon: In answer to your original question, the eye's focusing system (like a cameras) and its control of the two eyes together (e.g convergence - eyes moving in) are intimately linked. So in the usual situation if you focus up close, your eyes converge to what you are looking at in front of you.

If this linked system is faulty then you may have a strabismus. In this case, the eyes naturally cannot focus and converge in the same plane. So the eyes see very different images, sometimes blurry too. The brain then shuts off one eye as you'd rather be seeing one single clear image. Rather than double disparate images.

Your spectacles help realign these 2 systems (focus and convergence). However, since the brain is so use to using 1 eye at a time, you still need to train it to use both eyes efficiently together.

The best age for this is younger than 8 years when the eye is growing most rapidly. You can still do eye exercises but will need a lot more dedication and patience at the age of 26.

If you find a good optometrist who knows a lot about binocular vision (note: most optoms don't know the intricacies of vision training!) they can help you train your vision, much like a personal trainer at the gym. They will set out a plan and vision training regime which you must stick to in order for a chance of it working.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I saw the advice above to wear sunglasses to help protect your eyes, but cheap sunglasses can actually harm your eyes. They will reduce the amount of visible light transmitted (otherwise no one would buy them) so the pupils of the eye will open up, but the sunglasses don't reduce ultraviolet light transmitted through the lens. You could get cataracts as a result.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uv-protection/an00832

So just wear your cheap sunglasses at night to check out the chicks without being too obvious.

And concerning Johan Halmén's bug-eyed lady...

Advance warning, this is disgusting

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ok, serious question. I went to an optometrist a couple years ago for the first time, and he said my vision was good and that I would not have any problems with vision in the future if I didn't have them already. I'm 29. Is it true that I couldn't develop vision problems now?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

An Ly said:

note: most optoms don't know the intricacies of vision training!

I don't know the details in such training, but I do know training is needed. I guess they give a paper with the excercises explained to the parents and that's it. When the parents see that both eyes are aligned, they're fine with that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I saw the advice above to wear sunglasses to help protect your eyes, but cheap sunglasses can actually harm your eyes. They will reduce the amount of visible light transmitted (otherwise no one would buy them) so the pupils of the eye will open up, but the sunglasses don't reduce ultraviolet light transmitted through the lens.

Except that every single pair of sunglasses out there will attenuate the UV more than any possible pupil dilation effect...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Go to: