Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Thinking about leaving uni

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thinking about leaving uni
CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

So yeah, just as I expected, some people screwed me over and I'll most probably have no other choice than to quit now.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I don't get what some people screwing you over has to do with your studies. Is it bothering you so much that you can't concentrate when you study?

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

That too, but what I meant is that I trusted someone to do something that I needed (which was stupid, but I wasn't the only one), and I won't get it, simply because. And without that particular thing I wouldn't be able to pass anyway. I guess there's a lesson here for everyone: don't trust people with vital stuff, they'll just make your life miserable.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

As a general rule of thumb, in group projects, if you want it done right, you have to do the entire thing yourself.

That's what your vague situation sounds like. I remember staying up all night working with my "team" on a group assignment. One guy watched anime the entire time, the other guy was playing Starcraft, and I coded. Then, once I finished it at about 7 a.m. I collapsed and fell asleep. They didn't bother trying to wake me up to go to class (at 8 a.m.). (Yes, it was my own fault for waiting until the night before it was due to get it finished anyways. :P)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

StevenVI said:

As a general rule of thumb, in group projects, if you want it done right, you have to do the entire thing yourself.

That's true for life.

Oh and listen to Manowar, all day, everyday.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

So yeah, just as I expected, some people screwed me over and I'll most probably have no other choice than to quit now.

I just don't get it. How is failing anything involving another person, including say, a group project, result in you quitting college? ???

6 + 3 = Apple Pie

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

don't trust people with vital stuff

your just learning this? I learned this many years ago when i was about 5 or 6.

humans will always fail you. i only trust in the almight

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

piccolo said:

i only trust in the almight

Yes, because he/she/it always comes through ::)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

@Thomas Fjellstrom

Yes and with out fail.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

piccolo said:

Yes and with out fail.

I prayed for world peace for several years when I was a naive kiddie. And prayed for household peace, and I distinctly remember Dad beating Mom to a bloody pulp while I realized that praying to the refrigerator (the direction I happened to be facing) didn't help a bit.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

That too, but what I meant is that I trusted someone to do something that I needed (which was stupid, but I wasn't the only one), and I won't get it, simply because.

That's a lesson in life that you'll get many times. The first time you get it, it's painful, but you shouldn't quit because of this. Don't let these things lower your self esteem.

Having a degree is worth many times more the punishment of an asshole.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I prayed for world peace for several years when I was a naive kiddie. And prayed for household peace, and I distinctly remember Dad beating Mom to a bloody pulp while I realized that praying to the refrigerator (the direction I happened to be facing) didn't help a bit.

And there it is...

To contrast that, I have always been dropped into the fire. But I've been broken over, and over again. But I've never been destroyed. I've always managed to barely make it through when I surely, statistically, and by all reasoning ability, should have died.

Suffering molds us. It gives us perspective and a desire to change the world. There's nothing in the Bible (assuming you're praying to that God) that says there won't be suffering. In fact, it says there will be more.

My personal thoughts (and feel free to completely ignore them) is that the reason God allows horrible things to happen (like child molesters) is that it motivates us to act. We see something wrong in the world, and we, as a society, react to it in order to improve the situation and ourselves. We're consistently growing in maturity as we see the results of our self-inflicted suffering. We have police, because we're better off with them--it's the best solution we have so far. We have tasers, because they were supposed to make police safer and reduce the situations where they had to use deadly force. Well, it backfired, but it's just one attempt at bettering the world as a whole. These are our ever evolving solutions to the problems we see.

Imagine a crazy idea that heaven is just Earth in the distant future, and we're all helping work toward it. And God won't come to Earth until his children have become mature enough to associate with him. Now, I don't necessarily believe that, but it's an interesting concept nonetheless.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

StevenVI said:

QFT.
Number of people in group | Number of freeloaders
1|0
2|1
3|2
4|3
5|4
etc. True for every group project I've ever been in. :P
(The only decent group projects are those with individual grading, where you're only graded on your contributions and nothing else - the group may fail as a whole, but you can still pass (and vice versa))

Katko: Cognitive dissonance much? ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

gnolam said:

True for every group project I've ever been in.

Humanity is a group. So which one of us is doing all the work?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

gnolam said:

Katko: Cognitive dissonance much? ;)

That's a really intriguing concept! I just read the first paragraph of the Wikipedia entry. I'm definitely going to read some more. The "Franklin Effect" is pretty interesting.

I have a lot of philosophical ideas I've played around with. That one was basically a thought exercise on relating the common question of "why does God allow suffering?" to the common beliefs of Christianity. To be clear though, I'm making no argument for or against the validity of Christianity. But it makes sense (to me, at least) that there are many uses for pain and suffering as a tool for maturing children.

Another one of my oddball thoughts is: If God uses all bad things for good, why would the Devil even need to exist? The only use I can think of would be to blame our failures-of-humanity on something other than ourselves--a man-made scapegoat. I think of it more as a fight between our physical urges ("Sins of the flesh") and our spiritual/mental needs (Fairness, Acceptance, Happiness, ...). Although, immediately I realize it's a bit more complex than that. All mental urges aren't "good," and all physical ones, "bad." Hmm...

-----sig:

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

When did we get onto a discussion of religion?

Also, Chris Katko, my friend just said that you look like Frodo.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

int chance=human_randomization(); // Range from 0...100
if (chance > 95) {
  keep_on_topic();
}
else if (chance > 90) {
  derail_with_something_related();
}
else {
  talk_about_religion();
}

Everything can be turned into a religion discussion. ;)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Dario ff said:
int chance=human_randomization(); // Range from 0...100
if (chance > 95) {
  keep_on_topic();
}
else if (chance > 90) {
  derail_with_something_related();
}
else {
  talk_about_religion();
}

If the universe were open source, we could fix that.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

But maybe only 1 person would work on it. ;)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Does Obama know how to write code?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Does Obama know how to write code?

I'd say no, since he can't stick to his promises about the Patriot Act, net neutrality, open government, yadda yadda yadda. It's the equivalent of defining variables and functions but never declaring them.

[EDIT] (can't resist)

{"name":"75MDw.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8192db11374239490a517c5012a67cb.gif","w":508,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8192db11374239490a517c5012a67cb"}75MDw.gif

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

video

video

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Hey Dennis, finally some metal that I can listen to[1] :) Must get it, though metal isn't usually my cup of tea.

References

1. Which is kinda short list of bands: Tarja Turunen's era of Nightwish, Rhapsody and Guardian

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Go to: