Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Thinking about leaving uni

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thinking about leaving uni
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

No kidding; me too! :D

So why didn't you quote piccolo? ;) I take it you misquoted. ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

So why didn't you quote piccolo? ;) I take it you misquoted. ;)

Yeah, I'm sure you take things many ways that suit you. ::) Heading out for the night; later.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

And in fact the religion part died for a while till someone else brought it back ;)

8-)

Hey, at least they're not like the flame wars of ~2006. Everybody is sick of those.

I found that the most effective method for group projects was to give everybody in the group the option to do nothing at all.

That's an interesting concept. I've never tried that. Assuming it was clear from the start that they were doing nothing, so you wouldn't rely on them.

On my next project, I'll be stepping up as a leader and noting exactly how much effort I'm going to put in, and for everyone to define how much they think they're going to put in. It's a lot easier and clear cut if everyone defines beforehand, exactly how much effort they will do, and signs their name below it. For many people, their name is one of the most important things about them. It represents a summation of all of the actions, and their character. A man's name is the most valuable thing to him. So signing a piece of a paper that says "I commit to doing this" is very effective. (from the book, "Predictably Irrational")

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

How do you get partial people? Or are some people just putting in partial effort?

I find that the bigger the group the more the person that is doing all the work complains so there is always someone doing a little because they feel sorry for the guy doing all the work. those people normaly quote "well, i did my share"

most of the time there is more work in bigger groups

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

Disclaimer: I haven't read through all the posts.

Step 1: See a doctor. He or she will have something valuable to say, it's all that schooling they get.

Step 2: Take a break. Will you lose your credit for courses completed if you withdraw now, or could you pick up where you left off later on? (if you feel like it)

Step 3: After doctor + break, things will become clearer.

I don't know how to say this, but this is the rule that works for me: if one person is being a jerk or is out to get you, he's probably a jerk who's out to get you. But if everyone is being a jerk, the problem might be with you. You could be behaving in a way that makes people react badly, or misinterpreting what they're saying.

Extreme stress can cause both of those things.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, I'm sure you take things many ways that suit you. ::)

Lack a sense of humor much? You did notice the winkies did you not?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: