Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Thinking about leaving uni

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thinking about leaving uni
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Hell yeah, Manowar sounds really awesome, perfect for my playlist along with Rhapsody!

OICW said:

Which is kinda short list of bands: Tarja Turunen's era of Nightwish, Rhapsody and Guardian

Maybe Powerglove OICW?

video

EDIT: It's not really fantasy, but I find it interesting. :)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Nope, Manowar was just fine. The rest isn't really that great. I'm quite picky, especially in the field of metal since I don't normally listen to it.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

@Arthur Kalliokoski

Humans all ways want someone to fix things for then with out them even putting in any effort themselfs.

Help will come to those whom help them selfs.

this is the same thing

Number of people in group | Number of freeloaders
1|0
2|1
3|2
4|2 1/2

5|3 1/4

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

gnolam said:

Number of people in group | Number of freeloaders
1|0
2|1
3|2
4|2 1/2

5|3 1/4

How do you get partial people? Or are some people just putting in partial effort?

What if several of those workers ended up in a group together?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

piccolo said:

Humans all ways want someone to fix things for then with out them even putting in any effort themselfs.

I sometimes have regrets about not grabbing the shotgun a few times.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

Do you know what this is the same as? No God.

Not really.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

NVM, don't want to take part into anything religion-related.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

piccolo said:

Help will come to those whom help them selfs.

bamccaig said:

Do you know what this is the same as? No God. :o

Pretty awesome that he misquoted then, isn't it? But then you knew that because it came up in the other thread and now you're just trolling. ::)

/glares at the moose for starting this crap again >:(

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

It wasn't barely a week after the dust settled after the last thread and yet here we go again ;D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

He's so close and he just won't let himself get there... :-/

Would you feel better if I just said, "God doesn't exist"?

God doesn't exist.

Feel better?

:)

At the end of the day, do and think what gives you the best outcome for your life. If believing in a God motivates you to become successful, then that's all that matters. However, believing in a bleak, pessimistic worldview, only serves to demotivate you. So it doesn't matter if it's the truth or not, because if you don't view it in a positive light, it's going to sabotage your life. It'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm 100% about what gets the results. Everything else is bullshit.

Meanwhile, anyone remember about the GSXR Kart I proposed years ago? The 140 hp, three-wheeled roadster I was going to build? I have two days in Cookeville left, and then I go home to make history. 8-)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The saying, "God helps those who help themselves," came to us by way of Benjamin Franklin (1736). Franklin himself was a deist and so he believed that God did not play an active role in men's lives. In his point of view if man was not able to help himself, then man was hopeless.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/sayings.cfm

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

He wasn't the one who brought it up...

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Evert said:

He wasn't the one who brought it up...

No, but he was the one who made a thing of it. It will always come up by pure virtue of being a part of people's lives, and certain people need to mature and deal with it.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

gnolam said:

True for every group project I've ever been in.

Couldn't that also be a form of cognitive dissonance? "I'm a smart guy" vs "Our project failed/was harder than expected/resulted in something worse than expected" leading to the rationalization that everyone else was a freeloader/idiot/slacker and thus it was their fault.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm 100% about what gets the results. Everything else is bullshit.

So you don't believe in God? I'm not exactly sure what your beliefs are.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

So you don't believe in God? I'm not exactly sure what your beliefs are.

My beliefs aren't qualifiable with labels, generalizations, or a few concise sentences.

I believe in the work that God has done in my life, and strife he has brought me through. I also realize all of the hardship he has brought my way has uniquely molded me into something powerful. I am going places in life, and I'm not going to stop for anyone. I adapt (my actions and my ideologies) to become whatever is necessary of me to accomplish my goals. Everything else is bullshit--a waste of time and energy.

Here's a summery of the only things that I've found valid in life: Enjoy every second and every person in your life--you don't get a refund at the end for getting it wrong. Challenge yourself and take risks. Work hard, and with excellence at everything. Forgiveness really is the best policy, it keeps your baggage light, and allows friendships to flourish. Be genuinely interested in everyone around you. That's about it.

[added two. 5 bonus "Who's Line?" points for the viewers at home who spot them!]

Oooh, one more great one:

"Believe in people. They'll always surprise you." --Randy Pausch

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Couldn't that also be a form of cognitive dissonance? "I'm a smart guy" vs "Our project failed/was harder than expected/resulted in something worse than expected" leading to the rationalization that everyone else was a freeloader/idiot/slacker and thus it was their fault.

I have the commit logs to prove it. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I'm not pointing a finger, just making an observation. I've had the same experience - but so has everyone else... It just does not add up ;)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The ones who slacked off aren't likely to go shouting it around.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I've had the opposite experience most of the time. Rarely have I had any slackers on my teams and if I had they often paid the price for it.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

The ones who slacked off aren't likely to go shouting it around.

How do you know this? People aren't rational. If someone feels stupid because of mistakes they make, they quite often (sub-consciously or not) build up versions where they are the victim (at least this is my experience).

I've had the opposite experience most of the time. Rarely have I had any slackers on my teams and if I had they often paid the price for it.

I've had mostly good experiences with group projects as well, but in the cases where it did not work, everyone had the same idea that the rest of the group was slacking off.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I found that the most effective method for group projects was to give everybody in the group the option to do nothing at all.

I never cared if somebody did no work as long as he told me on day one that he wasn't going to do anything. I could get stuff done faster by myself anyway.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I didn't start it. I just responded to something idiotic someone else said. You notice I let it die there. And in fact the religion part died for a while till someone else brought it back ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I didn't start it. I just responded to something idiotic someone else said.

No kidding; me too! :D

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: