Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » How do I find the ultimate games programmer?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
How do I find the ultimate games programmer?
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Actually, short of naming him outright, he did mention talking to an employee about it.

;) Well if he is mad about it, he knows where to find me :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Yes they do:

(-4) - (-8) = 4

Check it on your calculator... It really is true. :o

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Give it time. He'll figure it out.

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

I'll help, by "double negative" the original poster was actually referring to "-(-8)" of course ;)

Shov-UK, if that's the starting salary that is mentioned, then how much can it be expected to rise during the first few years?

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Not really. You don't go into science with the intention of getting rich, it just doesn't happen. Even if you make professor, you earn nowhere near what you would make if you had gone into industry instead.

Yes, that's true. But it also all depends on what you decide to do with your CS degree. You can stay on university, or somewhere in lab, and research new things. Or you can get hired by one of the many software companies who are on lookout for programmers/developers/modeleres/you name it.

I had two options where to go (there are many more universities here, but these two were in my city), I could either study CTU or MFF at Charles University. I study the latter. It's focused more on theory, however they told us that they will teach us how to use our brain. After five years I will be able either to follow the career of a scientist or attain higly paid job in IT (around here, they are really well paid plus always on lookout for graduate students).

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

Quote:

the pay off with this role comes from truely doing what you love for a living

I don't know if people have said any of this already, haven't read whole thread, but...

Basically, what you're asking for is someone who likes writing games, so that

1.) Your software is written well
2.) You don't have to pay them much

Also, I don't believe this is either real or Runescape related. If Runescape were looking for programmers, they wouldn't come to Allegro.cc. If someone else was looking for programmers, they would name the company.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Also, I don't believe this is either real or Runescape related. If Runescape were looking for programmers, they wouldn't come to Allegro.cc. If someone else was looking for programmers, they would name the company.

Thats a little silly. Why wouldn't a smaller games company come to a place that fosters game programmers, and one of their own already hangs out at?

And as was stated, 50k USD is pretty darn decent for a starting position in a company. I know people that started at 20k (CAD, back when it was 0.60 per USD) for programming jobs.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

And as was stated, 50k USD is pretty darn decent for a starting position in a company

I also know that a friend of mine started with ~€1k per month and got twice that two months later. If the company is half decent and you really know your thing you usually can get decent salary in not too long time

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Are most people here living in the clouds or are there really such high salaries in the U.S.? :o

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

At least in Estonia the reason is there are not enough knowledgeable workers so the ones who are competent are mostly way overpaid. National average salary is around €600.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

- 4 - ( -8 ) = 4 <--- positive

That's taking away a negative. The argument was that adding a negative to another negative doesn't make a positive.

-4 + ( -8 ) = -12 <--- negative

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Ohhh OK. ;D Sorry for the mistake. :P

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Maybe you should consider that one positive makes a negative:
0.5 is positive
ln(0.5) = -0.69314718055994530941723212145818
-0.69314718055994530941723212145818 is negative :P

(Neil Black, consider it a response to Vanneto :P)

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

-2 * -6 = 12 :)

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

And as was stated, 50k USD is pretty darn decent

Oops, up there when I said I wouldn't take a 50% pay cut I did the currency conversion with euros, not pounds. 24k euros is about $30k. 24k pounds is 50k. So no, I'm not making 100k a year. I don't do any programming either; I just spent a week researching to update 1 line in a database. :'(

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Shov-UK: a bit offtopic but while you're here - what do you think of the "Consumer JRE" aka update N or whatever it's called this week, and what do you think of Project Darkstar?
Pete

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I am sparticus!

Oh sorry, wrong question..

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Quote:

edit:
but i will recommend it to any of the Americans looking for a new start with new women.

Two musicians are walking down the street, and one says to the other, "Who was that piccolo I saw you with last night?"
The other replies, "That was no piccolo, that was my fife."

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Whats a piccolo?

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I'm scared now.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

A piccolo is a musical instrument, pretty much a small, octave-higher version of the flute. It's a standard member of the modern orchestra. A fife is similar, apparently. I think the point of the joke is that the words sound similar to "gigolo" and "wife", though looking up "gigolo", apparently a gigolo is a man who has sex with and is supported by a woman. Maybe he was a drag queen. ???

Richard, you should apply :) I'd apply but I don't think they'd take me very seriously. :-/

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

1   2   3   4 

Go to: