Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » [official mascot/logo] yes, I think there needs to be one

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[official mascot/logo] yes, I think there needs to be one
Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Mascots are overrated. I would like to see what the community comes up with, though.

-R

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

My bad about my earlier post -- I couldn't tell that the argument was over -- A lot of times several things will happen at once in a thread constructive and destructive and I misinterpreted things.

Quote:

Why the argument? What I got from that decision was that we can go ahead and do this, just don't expect the mascot to be in the manual.

Actually, the decision, as I read it said we could have it in the manual, just not THE manual that makedoc makes. -- We could have it in the allegro.cc manual, or any other manual that we wanted to put it in, etc -- it just would have to be done seperate from the automatic build process.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Hm, if they are no additional suggestions until tomorrow, then maybe we should go on to the next phase?

Originally, the plan was to vote on the suggestions(in text form) first and then make sketches for the three most popular suggestions, then vote from those remaining three ones again and then create finalized artwork. However, some people said that they lack imagination skills to vote on anything without seeing any sketches at all, so should we go on to make sketches already and skip the first voting?

(not sure if "sketch" is a correct english word; I think "doodle" is a word with the same meaning)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Well, I've just added my idea to the suggestion page in preparation for the vote. If anybody has the correct tools for trimming my sumitted SVGs, which are currently surrounded by large empty borders, then I invite their help.

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I thought we already decided on Allefro? ???

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

My perspective on this topic can be summed up in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itchy_&_Scratchy#Poochie

and this ironic adaptation:

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592718

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

I must say that I really like AL, my vote belongs to him(her?).
Although I think an upgrade of the drawing should be considered...

I don't like the idea of an mascot with a personality, such as an animal, a black A running is perfect, it also looks nice. And i think a mascot for allegro would be a great idea as it would be easier for allegro to get recognized that way. As i never read the text of the logos of companies i do remember their movies or designs, and i think most people work that way.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Mark Oates wins! ;D

-R

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

After going to the wiki page, my favorite is leggy. Are we voting yet? ;D

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

No, we're not voting yet. I for one won't have time to make any doodles for the remaining suggestions in the next few days but I guess that's ok as we're not in a hurry.
As soon as there are doodles for all suggestions, I will ask Matthew to make a new poll on the frontpage for voting. Don't know if that's complicated to do so if he doesn't have time or will to do it, we need to find someone else to set up a simple voting system somewhere.

TeamTerradactyl
Member #7,733
September 2006

I really shouldn't comment in this thread, but this has gone on too long.

The other thread had the right idea; you simply start posting pictures as fast as you can, and then everyone take a look at something that progresses into a very good-looking logo or mascot. Then you all decide. If Alex hadn't already been used for someone's game/site/etc., I feel it would have won because of how much excitement and feedback it received.

If government has taught me anything, it's that you don't have a committee plan things out like this. The other thread got A LOT more activity, ideas, etc. I think it was because it was so VISUAL, where this is all too logical and sequential.

I say we start a brand-new thread where we do nothing but post ideas for the mascot (or just continue the old thread), but without worrying that it infringes on someone's prior work..?

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

I really shouldn't comment in this thread, but this has gone on too long.

I agree with. I think using Allefro is the best option we have seen yet. That is what you're saying... right?

TeamTerradactyl
Member #7,733
September 2006

That MUST be it. Allefro all the way, baby.::)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

How 'bout we just buy the rights to Alex? I'll chip in $10.00 for that...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Actually, my understanding is now, the picture itself already is public domain (Johan gave it to Allegro) - just the name "Alex the Allegator" is his. So might be enough coming up with a new name, like "Axel the Alligator".. just somewhat more different than that.. :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Well, I do recall reading somewhere that he wanted to keep the rights to Alex the Allegator for himself, as he had further plans for him in the future.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

How about a cheese grater? He would be "Alex the Allegrater". He would be shown grating cheese into code.

Although, most people on Allegro.cc turn code into cheese. ;)

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

That's a brilliant idea. (I'll leave it up to you to determine whether or not I'm being sarcastic.:P)

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I vote for Allefro!

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Quote:

So might be enough coming up with a new name

Alex the Crocodile?

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

i'd like to nominate myself to be the official PR representative of allegro

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

TeamTerradactyl
Member #7,733
September 2006

Jeff Bernard said:

Alex the Crocodile?

Cody the Crocodile (code-E the Crocodile)?

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Quote:

If government has taught me anything, it's that you don't have a committee plan things out like this. The other thread got A LOT more activity, ideas, etc. I think it was because it was so VISUAL, where this is all too logical and sequential.

Sure, the process is slow and it will take a few months to get a result. The logical and sequential setup is meant to produce a result that is a) widely accepted(as in the community casts it by voting and thus can identify with) and b) of high quality(doodles first, polished artwork later).

Quote:

So might be enough coming up with a new name, like "Axel the Alligator".. just somewhat more different than that.. :)

I strongly object that as it would be impolite and it feels like stealing someones intellectual property and claiming that it is our own.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I think we should leave this thread to die.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I think we should leave this thread to die.

Just because we can't agree doesn't mean we should give up. Once again, I vote for buying Alex.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Go to: