Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » [official mascot/logo] yes, I think there needs to be one

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[official mascot/logo] yes, I think there needs to be one
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

amarillion said:

Dennis, could you add this link to the OP for those new to the discussion?

Done. I also added a short summary of what appears to be the maintainers/devs point of view to the issue, so that noone can be fooled to think that the resulting mascot of this process is guaranteed to get included within the lib.

Evert said:

But as I've already said, get something together as a community, have a scetch of how things will look and then submitit. If there's no good reason to reject it (but cartoons in the manual are out), then it will likely be accepted

Right, so be it.

I also have another suggestion:
Paca, Paquita or Francisca The White Pigeon
She is intelligent, is peaceful and helpful and free.
She should be the mascot for Allegro, because then the slogan "Allegro - Free As In Bird(not beer)" can be used. Also, white pigeons are a peace symbol and birds have also always been a symbol for freedom, which the Allegro giftware license provides to the developer using it.

Keep the suggestions coming everybody, no matter how silly you may think others may find yours. (That's why we will take votes at some point.)
Btw, how many more weeks do you think should we keep taking suggestions, before we move on to the next step?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Evert has said that there will definitely be no cartoons in the manual.

Peter and me both, actually. To be completely correct, Peter said this in so many words first. I don't think it particularly relevant who said what for the purpose of the wiki page, so I might decide to edit the wiki page later.
Anyway, I'll shut up now and let you guys work something out.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I slightly edited the introduction paragraph on the wiki, as "the Allegro maintainers" isn't really all that clear a term. I for one would like pictures in the documentation where it makes sense (e.g. for the different blending functions), and if technically possible (the current source format still is this horrible makedoc, which means no - so probably no point thinking about it right now).

Quote:

We should probably add "Alex the Allegator is a trademark of Free Lunch Design and used with permission" or something like that.

Thinking about this a bit, I think it is a very bad idea. Anything in Allegro's official distribution should be "giftware", i.e. you should be able to use it for whatever you want. So unless Johan officially releases "alex.png" under a permissive license (and totally understandable if he doesn't want to), we indeed should remove it from SVN.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

My mascot suggestion:

Albert the Albatross

[edit]

He's high flying, free, and efficient.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Maybe a List of Animal Names will help people come up with new ideas?

How about... Herbert the Human? He is smart and adaptable, and his hands (complete with opposable thumbs) allow him to create and use his own tools. He is smart enough to handle things on his own, as well as give out advice to other people in need.
Truly, all would want to be like Herbert, he is after all one of the most successful life forms on earth.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Adam the Ape - he has 4 hands, so he can write code twice as fast.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

For those that might need some inspiration:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592653
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592654
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592655
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592656

Note two things which are absent in most professional logos:
- Gradients (because they look crappy in black and white faxes)
- Cuddly animal mascots

The best logos also limit the number of colors they use to 2 max.

Just some thoughts.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

WE don't want just some unofficial hodge podge of stuff.

Define "WE".

I honestly don't think we NEED a mascot perse -- people will do what they want -- why should an end user who uses your game need to know what library you used? -- I think it would be neat if we had a mascot -- but I don't see why the head developers/dictators should be bothered with things like updating makedoc, or given extra work, etc.

And if they give the answer you didn't want -- so be it -- just as if they had given the answer you wanted. That power is theirs -- they have a huge work load already.

Quote:

A piano playing mascot could be used for the sound and music routines.

If we kept the elephant, it should be farting for that image.

Quote:

...You guys don't care at all.

That's mature.

Quote:

Don Allegato is the Latin Lover Alleycat

An alley cat sounds cool.

Is there a reason we can't use an Alligator as the allegro mascot? It doesn't have to be alex -- it can be Allie, or Amanda -- Alex's sexy sister.

Quote:

Vote for me, and I will destroy Allegro and make it better!

I totally vote for RP as the new allegro mascot.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Quote:

Is there a reason we can't use an Alligator as the allegro mascot? It doesn't have to be alex -- it can be Allie, or Amanda -- Alex's sexy sister.

No, an alligator/allegator is still an option. It's been said that it isn't very original, but we can put it out there and let people vote on that.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I will be using Alex the Allegator. He has already appeared in "Monster", and Johan is enthusiastic about us adopting the logo for Allegro. There is no reason to kick the dead horse.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I prefer to hang with Alex. If not that, maybe Algorithm the Particle (Algy for short).

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

Algorithm the Particle

;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Why the argument? What I got from that decision was that we can go ahead and do this, just don't expect the mascot to be in the manual.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Yes BAF, that's basically the result of the "heated" debate(I think there was some misunderstanding in the beginning between some of the participants of this discussion).

Michael Jensen said:

And if they give the answer you didn't want -- so be it -- just as if they had given the answer you wanted. That power is theirs -- they have a huge work load already.

Read the full thread before you make your comments please(in other words: It's unnecessary to comment on things that have been settled already, as it only adds noise and doesn't hold any constructive value to the discussion at all.).

To sum it up for you: There is no argument going on anymore, it was a misunderstanding and now we're continuing with the process of finding a mascot. This will be a lengthy process and the way that it is set up(see OP) will somewhat ensure that the resulting mascot will be widely accepted(because it's created and finally chosen by the community) and that the final graphical representation will be of somewhat high quality(sketches will be made, lots of discussion and constructive criticism will be taking place before the final designs of anyone who wants to do them will be presented for voting again). It won't happen overnight. I expect the whole process to take a few months.
And again, nobody will/can be forced to use whatever we come up with.

(Maybe I should edit the OP to clarify some things.)[edit: inserted some [update/edit]s into the OP to sum up the results of what has been said so far]

I've updated the Mascot Discussion Wiki with the new suggestions. Elias, Trent G., your latest suggestions are still missing a reason that you give in which you explain why it should become the Allegro mascot.

[append]Updated the OP with an important remark about legal issues.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

I did these last year as ideas for using in 'friendly' tutorials, and on my website (which I unfortunately accidently erased :P)

alex-fixing.png
alex-flying.png
{"name":"alex-config.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/a\/aa7c7f48eed22b603430b769018616f0.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/a\/aa7c7f48eed22b603430b769018616f0"}alex-config.pngThis one was for an installer.
{"name":"alex-artist.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/44839bcdca52ebd802e21745c3f905e4.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/44839bcdca52ebd802e21745c3f905e4"}alex-artist.png

Psychoanalysing my own work, I think I read too many Richard Scarry books as a wee-un.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

How about a giant, mutant, fire-breathing armadillo. Allegrodillo?

Or a curl-up bug. I like curl-up bugs. Especially giant, mutant ones.
{"name":"Bathynomus_giganteus.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/3398e9e50379f494bb6f761f7b1e2212.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/3398e9e50379f494bb6f761f7b1e2212"}Bathynomus_giganteus.jpg

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

My suggestion for an official Allegro logo would be the sans-serif capital letter A anthropomorphised such that the two lower juts are legs and the cross bar is extended slightly into arms. The logo would then be the A running from right to left on an archetypal platform game style ledge.

I hope that explains what I'm thinking of. I can't draw, so it'd better...

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Just a quickie. I've not read this thread at all (I'm writing this from an Internet terminal in the Isle of Skye), but if we're going to go with a dinosaur as a mascot, I suggest 'Allegrosaurus'.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Thomas Harte's
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592665

Andrei Ellman's - version 2 - aka Grozilla
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592669

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Matt Smith > great work, that's almost exactly what I was thinking of! In my head he was running the other way, but whatever.

An SVG version of Matt's draft (the large version, not the neat 1bit icon) is attached for anybody else that wants to work on it.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

<guess>It's a left-handed thing</guess>

No, I'm essentially right handed (I'm more comfortable drawing circles clockwise, I wear my watch on my right wrist and I always eat with the fork in my right hand, but I also write with my right hand, hold my racket in it for tennis, etc), but I think I was just imagining it running that way because otherwise it would trip over the imaginary 'llegro' that it was presumably standing next to just a moment ago...

EDIT: I suppose there's no reason the logo couldn't have the 'llegro' left on the platform a little way over to the right, having the A either running from it to go on an adventure or running to it to spell Allegro.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

because otherwise it would trip over the imaginary 'llegro' that it was presumably standing next to just a moment ago...

Not if we include the 'llegro' in the logo itself. The 'l's for sticks in his hand, the 'e' for a mouth, the 'r' for an ear and the 'o' for an eye and the 'g' for a...for a penis!

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

I read right to left as left to right :) It's a dyslexia thing.

Go to: