Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » [official mascot/logo] yes, I think there needs to be one

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[official mascot/logo] yes, I think there needs to be one
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Yup, it's a decision. Not a very good one I think.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Um.. I think "Allegro is not going to have a mascot" is a pretty clear decision.

Oh sure. People want it, are willing to do the work, and the answer is no. Ok. Fine. You guys don't care at all.

Lets just let all the momentum that has been building die. and along with it, goes allegro one last time.

If you think I'm being melodramatic, just wait, if this staunch attitude towards progress doesn't change, it'll mean the end of Allegro as a community, and finally as a project.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Which part of this did you miss?

Quote:

If you want to update the look of the web site, write alternative tutorials targetted at a younger audience, render a new demo game intro, etc. that's all fine.

Here it is again: you can update the web site and demo game if you like, including the use of a mascot.

Do you need a rubber stamp on that or something? Want me to change the licence to say: "you must embed this logo in every program that links with Allegro"?

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Geez, if you want someone to make a decision, you have to deal with it. If you want a specific decision, you should either try to to convince everybody that it's the best thing, or get into the position that allows you to make the decision.

Just for the record - my challenge was meant to be a fun way for people to come up with some logos, doodle a bit, doing some creative work. It was not meant to create an official logo.

I really like the current way - somebody creates something and makes it available. If you like something, use it. If you don't, create something else, don't mention allegro at all or whatever.

Creating a new mascot or fancy logotype won't do the trick. Create a nice game, tell people how easy it was to code using this awesome allegro lib - that might do the trick.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

WE don't want just some unofficial hodge podge of stuff. I and Others want a more streamlined more attractive consistent front for Allegro. If its not official, its not really worth doing.

I'm sick and tired of people getting shut out and shot down like this. I once suggested and volunteered to handle some PR work, and that was shot down. People here want some clean and consistent artwork for all facets of the allegro project, and they too are shot down. This community is feeling less and less inviting all the time.

Did I mention its frustrating?

Quote:

Geez, if you want someone to make a decision, you have to deal with it.

That wasn't a decision ::) There was no rationality for any of it besides that graphics in the manual are too kiddy. Yuh. That was more of the same "Lets not do anything".

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Peter Wang said:

If you want to update the look of the web site, write alternative tutorials targetted at a younger audience, render a new demo game intro, etc. that's all fine.

Ok thanks for that. (I disagree that anything with cartoons in it necessarily means it's targeted at kids though. As the content will still be very technical and serious, there's no way, anyone would be possibly capable of reading the mascot explaining that stuff as childish or silly.)

Peter Wang said:

Want me to change the licence to say: "you must embed this logo in every program that links with Allegro"?

No, that's not wanted I think. But if the community comes up with a logo/mascot through the process as described in the OP, we demand that it gets included in the library.:)

Alright, now that we got the noise settled a bit, I suggest we continue with step 1.) from the OP then.
Remember to give charecteristics and reasons to your suggestions.
And don't think you're being ignored, just because nobody comments on your suggestions. We're just collecting suggestions now, not rating them or making any comments.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I disagree that anything with cartoons in it necessarily means it's targeted at kids though

Yup:

{"name":"592638","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e0aa2337736bd6d7b7fca3a2ed0198c.png","w":400,"h":481,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e0aa2337736bd6d7b7fca3a2ed0198c"}592638

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Not to mention:
gnu-head-banner.png
http://www.digital-crossing.net/images/free-bsd.gif

And many others like them.

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Back on thread, here is another mascot suggestion:

Don Allegato

Don Allegato is the Latin Lover Alleycat. Allegato is cool. He has style. He has all the sex appeal that the game developers themselves lack :)
Don Allegato would make a good logo for allegro because it would symbolize the style that we want and programmer's art often lacks.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Quote:

that wasn't a decision

Um... you wanted a dictator to step in. That's what they do. They dictate. There is no need for them to argue.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

spellcaster said:

Um... you wanted a dictator to step in. That's what they do. They dictate. There is no need for them to argue.

Yes and in this case the decision is:

Peter Wang said:

Here it is again: you can update the web site and demo game if you like, including the use of a mascot.

So, more signal in this thread now and less noise please.

I'll suggest something as well:
Amanda The Antelope
She's quick, friendly, bright and lively.
She should be the mascot for Allegro, because Allegro is quick, lively and bright as well and besides, she can be the substitute girlfriend for every Allegroid who doesn't have one. Amanda loves you and she will never let you down.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ok, Let's have a few that don't start with A...

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

KDE mascot ftw:
{"name":"konqi-klogo-official-400x500.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2f66ab2086da51fba5c101fc83543bf4.png","w":400,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2f66ab2086da51fba5c101fc83543bf4"}konqi-klogo-official-400x500.png

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

It is however a huge amount of work to create something at even semi-professional quality. That's why I think that nobody is going to put a lot of effort into designing a mascot/logo, if it hasn't been previously agreed upon at least the character of the mascot and that the chances are high that if the final graphical representation of that character is any good, it will be put into the library.

Sure, but you wouldn't do a final high-res full detail model before you had a proof of concept (or an approved proof of concept)?

Quote:

This isn't about code, so it won't destroy any compatibility, functionality or anything at all.

True, but besides the point for the process of making something that you propose for review. Let's put it another way: I'm not going to give a blank "yes" on the simple statement that Allegro needs a mascot, but show me a concept and you may sell me. Ok, so that's what you're trying to do here.

Quote:

In other words: I want the developers to monitor and comment on the process of finding the mascot from the beginning on,

I read everything posted in the Allegro development forum and mailinglist (except when my spamfilter catches the messages, which is becoming more common, unfortunately).

I'm with Peter on not wanting cartoons or mascots or something like that in the manual, but that doesn't exclude websites or wiki pages or custom icons or logos to use as a splash screen for a game. I can very well imagine that we would make a collection of splashscreens or Allegro logos to display for download (note: I don't decide that we will, but I say I can imagine that we would).

Quote:

I disagree that anything with cartoons in it necessarily means it's targeted at kids though. As the content will still be very technical and serious, there's no way, anyone would be possibly capable of reading the mascot explaining that stuff as childish or silly.

I didn't say it is nescessarily targeted at kids, but it does look childish to me. If you want me to take something seriously, then present it in a way that makes me take it seriously. An over use of cartoons just doesn't do that for me. Again, this is a personal issue.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Vote for me, and I will destroy Allegro and make it better! 8-)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

/me votes for Richard Phipps. What are we voting on btw.? The new mascot? :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Evert said:

Let's put it another way: I'm not going to give a blank "yes" on the simple statement that Allegro needs a mascot, but show me a concept and you may sell me.

Well then maybe we should insert another step between current steps 1 and 2. 1b) in which rough sketches for all the suggestions will be made and then we'll decide upon the next steps? Would you approve that?

Evert said:

If you want me to take something seriously, then present it in a way that makes me take it seriously. An over use of cartoons just doesn't do that for me.

So, seeing that you're using a cartoon for an avatar, does that imply that you're not interested in presenting yourself seriously or that you don't want people to take yourself seriously? :-/ (Well, don't mind me, just being silly here and could not resist making that completely irrelevant remark. Please, forgive my doomed soul as it doesn't know any better.)

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I think it would be nice to have an official mascot or logo. Alex seems quite nice, but if it could cause problems, creating a new one specifically as a mascot sounds like a good idea to me.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

1b) in which rough sketches for all the suggestions will be made and then we'll decide upon the next steps? Would you approve that?

No.
The concept scetches that I'd like to see would be somewhere half through your step three. But as I've already said, get something together as a community, have a scetch of how things will look and then submitit. If there's no good reason to reject it (but cartoons in the manual are out), then it will likely be accepted, at which point youget to make the more detailed artwork.

Quote:

So, seeing that you're using a cartoon for an avatar, does that imply that you're not interested in presenting yourself seriously or that you don't want people to take yourself seriously?

I'm not writing Professor Sikbok's Guide to Allegro or Professor Sikbok's Notes on Stellar Evolution, and he doesn't appear as a support character in a distinctive pose when I discuss something. By the same token, having Alex as a page icon for the on-line version of the manual is different from having him show up doing something cute and quasi-relevant for each topic. That's the distinction I want to make.

Aside, holy wars have been fought over the question of wether the work of Marten Toonder (the guy behind the character of Sikbok as well as many others) can be charactarised as "a cartoon". I'm firmly in the camp that says they cannot be, but it's hard to explain why if you're unfamiliar with his work (and seeing how it's a very Dutch cultural thing, it's not surprising if you're not). The stories are actually written text, with the images in a strip above the text, and while the images definately supplement the story, the text stands very well on its own and qualifies the stories as "literature". Well, as I said, holy wars have been fought over this.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I said, holy wars have been fought over this.

As have wars been fought over other animated or non animated caricatures and their status as "cartoons".

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Updated The wiki page
Dennis, could you add this link to the OP for those new to the discussion?

When I said, "let's have one that doesn't start with an A", that doesn't mean I'm really against it, just that I'd like to encourage a little more variation.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

When I said, "let's have one that doesn't start with an A", that doesn't mean I'm really against it, just that I'd like to encourage a little more variation.

Ask and you shall receive.

Leggy the Allegro Code-Crawler

Sort of like a millipede, Leggy is a many-legged creature that enjoys games, because he can button mash and combo like nobody's business; and programming, because he can type G words per minute. Having lots of legs has it's advantages.

I envision Leggy communicating through signs, a la Wile E. Coyote. But that's really up to individual interpretation.

The reason I thought of this character is because his length allows him to weave throughout the word "Allegro" and his primary feature ties in nicely with the name of the library: Allegro.

Oh, I almost forgot: He is also very awkward around female code-crawlers and asks for help from his geeky friends on a programming forum. 8-)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Nice idea... I think my personal top-three thus far are Alice, Allegrotron and Leggy.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Alice is already owned.

It is an internet provider.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: